Happy Larry Ryan Bertrand. ANd why he might see a move differently from VVD?

Secret Site Agent

I just want to sound you all out on the following.

Having had the VVD affair, or VanDammGate as they are calling it where I am, I was wondering in a conversation about VVD and Bertrand, (and after responding to a post on here) about Bertrand.

Despite not being happy, do you think that he might 'want away' to a big club and have the same mind set as VVD?

I question this, because he came to us from Chelsea, where he spent most of his time on loan or having a few minutes off the bench.Also his England career was a little hit and miss. I just wonder if, unlike VVD, he would be a bit more shrewed about m9oving to a bigger team for a bigger wage, but is reluctant due to concerns he'll end up on the bench again? He has flourished with us and is playing regularly, so why make such a rash move?

Wont say he will be here forever, and I do expect him to be swallowed up by a bigger boy, (NOT Liverpool though), but just wonder if this is one of his dilemmas.

Over to you and what you think, and this does include those that will respond with their idiotic one liners, and those that will take a tangent and get onto other things, plus those that will just moan about other posters.

He's 28 so approaching an age where the opportunity to make a profit out of him gets smaller and smaller - so I imagine a new contract will be offered and if he doesn't want to accept it, they'll sell sooner rather than later to maximise his value. I don't mean this in any cynical way - just the way the club tends to operate in my view. I also think the club will be looking towards Targett in the very near future anyway for the 1st choice LB spot, which may also push them towards selling Berty. Excellent player, had to be a candidate for captaincy when VVD spat it.

Except from Liverpool where he'd be an upgrade in their LB position, and who want VVD anyway (Id charge them £105m for Ryan and VVD combined), which other clubs want him/which other club would he be an improvement for???

No one has bid for him or nothing so what is the cause for such a strop: I've come to the conclusion his miserable nature is just the way he is.

Bertrand was a young player who'd done ok but never had a decent chance, then an average spell at Villa. Now he's an experienced consistently high quality premier league defender and england left back.

He'd get games at bigger clubs now, so can see why he'd want to take the chance at 28. But City went for Mendy, Utd have Shaw coming back, Liverpool went for Robertson. Maybe Chelsea or Arsenal would still take him.

Think he'll go next summer, could be a big one as VVD, him and Cedric all leave. But if Hoedt/Stephens progress, Targett or McQueen improve, then maybe it won't be a disaster.

No need to sell VD. He'd still have four years left. :)

pay him roughly market value and the only thing missing will be medals. We are going to struggle to give him those, but we need to at least try and convince him, with signings etc. that we are going to be the best of the rest and will continue to really attempt to challenge for a European spot. If he feels we are `settling' for mediocrity then he will look at his options.

I'm sure I recall a written interview with him once where it was mentioned he also runs a successful business in the financial sector (think it was foreign exchange dealing), which has pretty much set him up for life after football, so chasing higher (football) wages might not be so important to him as it is for others.

And I wouldn't read anything into his lack of smiles, his "celebration" of his goal for England last week certainly won't go down as the most ecstatic in history. :D

Bertrand only has one facial expression and he constantly looks miserable but he's not, he's quite a friendly chap he just happens to always look pessimistic about everything.

Look at today's training video he was not miserable at all, clowning around and laughing his socks off. Now that vD & Cedric are staying he looks OK again. I guess he was getting worried that he'd be the last one here after August and left to put the lights out... and he's just played for England so what's he got to be miserable about?

Based on how he looked playing for England (including when he scored his first goal as an England player) I think that he just has a generally miserable on field disposition.

Yeah he's looked miserable since day one for us, except on the odd occasion where he's scored ( or someone else has scored a big goal).

Bertrand only has one facial expression and he constantly looks miserable but he's not, he's quite a friendly chap he just happens to always look pessimistic about everything.

Fairly sure I saw an interview with Redmond a few weeks back in which he said Bertrand was the funniest person at the club so I agree. Maybe he takes his job seriously!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fairly sure I saw an interview with Redmond a few weeks back in which he said Bertrand was the funniest person at the club so I agree. Maybe he takes his job seriously!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. He clearly said he was the funniest player in the squad.

Not sure why there's a current obsession to dissect every aspect of his body language. Why not leave the bloke alone and be happy he's still a Saints player

Yep. He clearly said he was the funniest player in the squad.

Not sure why there's a current obsession to dissect every aspect of his body language. Why not leave the bloke alone and be happy he's still a Saints player

I did wonder when he was playing for England, whether his mind was elsewhere a bit. He was one of the most prominent players who pledged to support the Grenfell Tower cause, and he probably felt a bit torn at the weekend that he could not be involved in the event at Loftus Road.

I come from Southampton. You? Where do you come from? And why do you want to know? and what bearing has it on this thread? and why do you find it strange?

He's asking where you've heard the vvd episode referred to as vandammgate, as you said people round your way are calling it that. HTH.

Incidentally, if there's ever a scandal involving a gate, the press are going to be pretty stumped.

I think he will look to go next summer having used this season with saints to cement his place in the England line up, he is fast heading towards the end of his career at the very top and I'd be looking to cash in if I was him. I know he earns loads here compare to the average joe but he could go to the top four and double his money plus get a nice big signing on fee in the bank, good luck to him I say he has been a decent servant to the club so I won't begrudge him hi opportunity should it come.

I think he will look to go next summer having used this season with saints to cement his place in the England line up, he is fast heading towards the end of his career at the very top and I'd be looking to cash in if I was him. I know he earns loads here compare to the average joe but he could go to the top four and double his money plus get a nice big signing on fee in the bank, good luck to him I say he has been a decent servant to the club so I won't begrudge him hi opportunity should it come.

I said earlier in the year I thought Bertie was the next natural leaver imo, has put a shift in and improved while he's has been here and is probably at his maximum retail price! But obviously V.D gate put a stop to all major outs .

He's asking where you've heard the vvd episode referred to as vandammgate, as you said people round your way are calling it that. HTH.

Incidentally, if there's ever a scandal involving a gate, the press are going to be pretty stumped.

If you read my post it says they are calling that where I am, (or was working) which was Chain Bar in Manchester, not where I am from. Personally wish I hadn't included that but was a bit of site office banter during August.

I come from Southampton. You? Where do you come from? And why do you want to know? and what bearing has it on this thread? and why do you find it strange?

It isn't called "VanDammGate" in Southampton, is it? So, if that's where you're from, that's very odd indeed. Haven't seen that phrase mentioned anywhere.

I'm from Winchester, by the way, it also isn't called "VanDammGate" in Winchester, either.

Hope this helps.