Goalscoring Problem - what can we do?

Dusic

We haven't scored in nine of our last 11 competitive games.

We have scored 1 goal from open play in 5 games this season, all against teams we would think ourselves to be better than. Four of those at home.

Our fixtures until about November are relatively kind, but then it gets much harder.

What can we do to sort this out, as stats like that will only lead to a relegation battle if continued?

I don't think this team can play with only 1 upfront, our mids just can't attack well enough which leaves the striker isolated. I don't buy into this idea that our midfielders are so deep and good. Also having only 1 upfront means no pressure on the defenders, so they can release and get up the field which leads to over running our midfield. So I think have 2 up top, or even 3, will make these defenders play more honest and stay back, opening up more space for our midfield.

We should go 2 or 3 upfront, there are a number of formations that support this for example a 3-5-2 (since we now have Yoshida, VVD, and Hoedt). I would stick Austin up top with Gabbi. Yes I know some here don't like his pace, but he is the only other proven scorer we have. Remember just last season he was our top scorer, and 2 seasons ago he scored 18 for QPR. This formation doesn't work for him, so seeing how we can't win if we don't score, we need to change it. Puel pretty much came to this opinion too. I would go either a 4-4-2 (Austin and Gabbi), or a 3-5-2, or maybe even a 4-3-3 with Long on too. If we don't score we can't win, simple as that.

A back 4 of Cedric, VVD, Hoedt, and Bertrand with Romeu and Lemina in front of them looks decent to me. With respect to the remaining 4 attacking players we simply haven't found the best combination yet, for me there's a total disconnect between midfield and attack. We're slow in possession, there's no real movement and a total lack of pace. It's certainly not the high pressing fast passing attacking football we were hoping for!

I would try three at the back so that the wing backs provide the width (both Cedric and Bertrand are decent going forward). Then play two up front - I don't think any of our strikers are suited to playing on their own up front like Pelle or Lambert were.

I would play:

Forster

VVD Hoedt Stephens

Cedric Romeo Lemina Bertrand

Davis

Gabbi Long

How about not taking Gabby off and give the poor bugger some help ?

People keep saying this, but how many games has Gabbi actually played the full 90 for us? I assumed at the beginning that it was a question of getting him up to speed on the pace of the prem, and reminded me of when lallana used to always come off after 75 mins, but you'd think he could play the full game by now, surely?

We are in a goal crisis so put out your goal scorers and drop those who aren't doing their jobs. Then make sure you service your goal scorers. No favouritism or picking based on reputation - either players perform or they are out.

Boufal is too lightweight, maybe good in France but being found out in the Prem - out. Redmond has talent but doesn't produce it consistently, poor decision making - out. Davies + JWP out, not creative or tough enough.

Play 442 with Austin and Gabbi up front. Why? Because they are proven goalscorers. Charlie is the spearhead, likes to operate in the 6 yard box so get the supply in there. He's also decent in the air so get crossing. Gabbi operates just behind in a free role, a goal scoring mischief maker that should be able to create mayhem and offer Charlie opportunities.

Tired of hearing that Charlie doesn't run, so what? We have plenty of runners - he's paid to score. In the last few minutes of the Huddersfield game Bertrand got the ball infront of goal and fluffed it - had Charlie been there it may have been 3 points instead of 1, that's what he's paid for but he can't do it if you don't play him. The others have had their chance and failed, time for change.

Midfield = Tadic on one side, Romeu + Lemina in the middle and Long on the other side. Tadic can infuriate but does have game turning capability, needs to start producing more regularly. Romeu is the steel, Lemina the box to box man and Long a wide runner that runs hard causing problems. Let Tadic\Long push inwards in a high tempo attack.

Defence = Cedric, VVD, Hoedt\Yosh and Bertrand. Fairly stable setup - full backs to provide decent wing support. I'd like to see McQueen played a few times too.

GK = whoever is showing the best form, forget reputation. Fraser should be constantly looking over his shoulder.

We need big changes, this goal drought is serious now. Snap out of it or else heads will drop and we'll be on a serious slide.

We are in a goal crisis so put out your goal scorers and drop those who aren't doing their jobs. Then make sure you service your goal scorers. No favouritism or picking based on reputation - either players perform or they are out.

Boufal is too lightweight, maybe good in France but being found out in the Prem - out. Redmond has talent but doesn't produce it consistently, poor decision making - out. Davies + JWP out, not creative or tough enough.

Play 442 with Austin and Gabbi up front. Why? Because they are proven goalscorers. Charlie is the spearhead, likes to operate in the 6 yard box so get the supply in there. He's also decent in the air so get crossing. Gabbi operates just behind in a free role, a goal scoring mischief maker that should be able to create mayhem and offer Charlie opportunities.

Tired of hearing that Charlie doesn't run, so what? We have plenty of runners - he's paid to score. In the last few minutes of the Huddersfield game Bertrand got the ball infront of goal and fluffed it - had Charlie been there it may have been 3 points instead of 1, that's what he's paid for but he can't do it if you don't play him. The others have had their chance and failed, time for change.

Midfield = Tadic on one side, Romeu + Lemina in the middle and Long on the other side. Tadic can infuriate but does have game turning capability, needs to start producing more regularly. Romeu is the steel, Lemina the box to box man and Long a wide runner that runs hard causing problems. Let Tadic\Long push inwards in a high tempo attack.

Defence = Cedric, VVD, Hoedt\Yosh and Bertrand. Fairly stable setup - full backs to provide decent wing support. I'd like to see McQueen played a few times too.

GK = whoever is showing the best form, forget reputation. Fraser should be constantly looking over his shoulder.

We need big changes, this goal drought is serious now. Snap out of it or else heads will drop and we'll be on a serious slide.

this please

Given that we no longer have the option to bring anyone else in to improve us, I would genuinely rather try out some new formations and some new player combinations to see if it would be better- we can't be doing much worse than the current setup! Two up front would be a must for me, as would playing lemina further forward. Not sure what to do with boufal but he's been a massive disappointment for us so far and Tadic has been extremely poor this year. Other than that not sure what else we can do as our players just don't score.

You know you can be an attacking player and a midfielder right?

no really? the problem was Davis being played out of position as a DM and JWP playing at all. Playing a Sigurdsson type midfielder wouldn't have help today. We need to control the centre of the park as a platform for attacking and that hasn't happened much since we lost Vic (and Morgan).

Drop the players who aren't doing it - Tadic, Redmond and JWP.

Get VVD back for set-pieces.

Resist playing Davis deep - he can't play there.

We need to get back to Pochettino levels of fitness. I'll leave the formation to the manager. I would like to see Long in the side though. Gabby needs a bit of help up front.

no really? the problem was Davis being played out of position as a DM and JWP playing at all. Playing a Sigurdsson type midfielder wouldn't have help today. We need to control the centre of the park as a platform for attacking and that hasn't happened much since we lost Vic (and Morgan).
Well another DM is certainly not the answer. I don't think controlling the middle has been a glaring weakness in our game over the last year but goals certainly have been. Lemina and romeu only in the centre please, sack off Tadic and boufal if we have any other player that fancies their hand in that role and pray we are OK until January.

Do what Strachan said when he became Southampton manager. He said this at his first press conference

"I think you need reminders of what fans go through and the sacrifices they make and their frustrations," he said. "Wherever we went, from the Third Division to Europe, I saw that fans want to see crosses, shots, headers, chances, simple as that."

Then at his first game at home to Ipswich we scored 3 and I have never seen so many crosses into the box during a football match. Why we can't just try that to try and create something. Almost back to basics

Given that we no longer have the option to bring anyone else in to improve us, I would genuinely rather try out some new formations and some new player combinations to see if it would be better- we can't be doing much worse than the current setup! Two up front would be a must for me, as would playing lemina further forward. Not sure what to do with boufal but he's been a massive disappointment for us so far and Tadic has been extremely poor this year. Other than that not sure what else we can do as our players just don't score.

I would have long in the side.. He is pacey, direct and would position himself closer to gabbiadini.

what ever we are doing now is just wrong

Taking some shots would be a start!

Formation-wise?

Tadic & Boufal look better playing wide, then coming in as an option. Do that.

We should have our best strikers on the field as much as possible - get Austin & Gabbiadini playing together. Option to bring Long on to run between them from deep.

What's wrong with sticking Bertrand further up the left (instead of Redmond?) & bringing McQueen in? Bertrand has a good shot.

If you're playing JWP, tell him to get forward, hang around 18-35 yards out. He likes it there. And with Lemina & Romeu there's plenty strength in the DM area.

And...

When in attacking positions, stop going bleeding backwards all the flipping time!!

There's not a lot worth choosing from, frankly, and the fact that we're having to pin our hopes on Shane Long somehow being the answer shows how desperate things have become.

All the manager can do with the limited tools at his disposal is keep trying to find the right blend. I'm not sure there is one with this squad of players, but here's a few suggestions.

1: We have a chronic lack of pace and physical presence, so let's go with our quickest, most direct attackers, gunk up the middle of the park with some man meat - one of the centre backs can step in there to add another body as and when required. And probably drop Bertrand because we can't carry anyone who doesn't give a crap (it remains to be seen what Van Dijk's demeanor will be), and a converted winger like McQueen would be the more attacking choice at wingback. We might be solid out of possession and decent on the break. Might be...

4ab982812ef456cdf62de970aa6ebe15.jpg

2: A more traditional "Southampton Way" XI of arguably our best players in their best positions. Simple square pegs in square holes theory. But is it effective? Romeu holds, everyone else bombs forward to support the striker.

40e32e1b83fa40055953d3dad1ee75ce.jpg

3: Once we're relegated by February, we can use the rest of the fixtures to bed in a young XI in preparation for our assault on the Championship with the dregs of whatever's left of the squad.

dc7ba89cce06a28ad8d31bcd7c46337c.jpg

In truth, what we're desperately short of is confidence - and no amount of tactical tinkering can solve that. Just one solid win, with a few goals from open play and some decent chances created would make a huge difference to our play. We're not as atrocious as yesterday's clueless performance. We're just mentally shot to pieces from endless Southampton-nils.

I think 2 up top is the way to go. - This will mean we might lose a few that could have been draws, but also, perhaps, win some of those games too. At the moment the play isn't dull, but we have a real difficulty in affecting the final third, with two strikers we can be a bit more direct and if those two can build an understanding we could start to see improvements in results.

We have struggled for goals since we sold our two goal scorers, Mane and Pelle. They scored over 50% of our goals, and we technically didn't replace either. I know people will say Boufal replaced Mane, but they're totally different types of player. You're not ever going to see Boufal hit 10+ goals a season.

Gabbiadini is a good player, but he's never, ever, ever in his life been a lone striker. That's not what he is. He can play either wing, or in behind a striker - but he is not the sort of player who can play up top. That's part of our problem at the moment as well, the ball doesn't stick and it doesn't allow time for anyone else to get forward - that's why Boufal plays so deep to come and get the ball. Ideally you want players like him in the box, or just outside the box - not near the centre circle.

For me, Long starting is a no-brainer right now. He starts with Gabbi.

Long can then pull the channels and open the space in the centre for Gabbiadini. How on earth Gabbi is expected to do anything up front when it's just him and no one within 5 yards is beyond me.

We lack a focal point up top for sure. We have good support players, but no focal point.

Long :mcinnes:

Yeh let's put the guy in who fluffs loads of chances, hell people even have him playing on the wings.

If we are going to play two up top then it's got to be Austin and Gabbi.

What we probably need to do is not play JWP or Davis as right mids, and get the attacking players out of the way to let Cedric and Bertrand operate wide.

Long :mcinnes:

Yeh let's put the guy in who fluffs loads of chances, hell people even have him playing on the wings.

If we are going to play two up top then it's got to be Austin and Gabbi.

What we probably need to do is not play JWP or Davis as right mids, and get the attacking players out of the way to let Cedric and Bertrand operate wide.

We need more mobility, Austin is not going to pull the channels or stretch the play with his pace. I wouldn't put Long in for goal exclusivity scoring, I'd put him in for pulling defenders around and creating more space - giving some support to others.

We need more mobility, Austin is not going to pull the channels or stretch the play with his pace. I wouldn't put Long in for goal exclusivity scoring, I'd put him in for pulling defenders around and creating more space - giving some support to others.

I'd consider putting Gabbi right sided forward.

Gives us an option cutting in on his left. Probably our best striker of a ball.

Austins "mobility" was enough to be our high scorer last season, and score 18 for QPR two years ago. The mantra some on here have about his movement is over the top. He's a traditional in the box type striker, like Pelle, Carrol, etc. When in the final 3rd his movement is good and he makes good runs. Plus he is one of only two players on this team who know ow to finish. It really gets down to your formation. Based on his history, its been shown that he can be very successful in certain setups. Since we need his goals, I suggest we alter our beloved 4-5-1 to fit both him and Gabbi.

We don't need more mobility, Gabbi is making plenty of runs but no one is finding him and there are usually 2+ defenders marking him. Redmond has bags of pace and that is not doing much. What we need is more incisiveness in our play around the box and more support to our main striker.

Literally all Long offers is an option for a punt over the top when we are on the back foot and he'll chase stuff down. Most teams we face these days, especially at home are not giving us those options, they are defending solidly and leaving little space in behind. Essentially we have become victims of our own success, many teams don't play us at St Mary's to out play us these days, they play to stop us playing because they know we are a side that keeps the ball well and likes to play on the front foot so they play compact and fairly deep against us.

Austin is not some immovable brick, he's a very clever striker who works angles and quick movements in the box, he's also able to hold up the ball well, offers more aerial presence and is not bad in tight spaces. He's also the kind of striker that is able to do a quick turn or get a snap shot off that gets you a goal. I think Gabbi, working off of him would be a good option and it gives the defenders two players to think about and allows the likes of JWP etc. to play balls forward into feet we can work off.

Long is none of those things. He doesn't score the chances he gets, let alone score a half chance, he's not particularly great in the air or holding up the ball and his general technique, first touch etc. is just not good enough. It's why he was an odd signing for us, he's a player who clearly suits a counter attacking team that sit back then break quickly, we are not that team.

I agree that Gabbi is not a lone striker, but Long is not the option, I have no idea why we ever bought him as he's not the sort of player you need for a possession based team.

Personally I'd try Gabbi up with Austin, instruct our full backs to be getting forward more and get more crosses in. Then play with a base in midfield of Romeu, Lemina and JWP in the middle. Then have Boufal or Tadic floating around somewhere in the no.10 spot, when the full backs push on, Romeu can drop into essentially a back 3.

Alternatively we have 6 first choice centre-backs and our full backs are arguably two of our best players so we could play win backs with a back 3. Especially as it looks like most of our defenders are very comfortable with the ball, VVD and Stephens in particular stride out of defence with the ball all the time so -

yT8Zp6V.png

Though that basically means no Tadic, Redmond or Boufal and I can't see that happening.

lineup.jpg

Edited by tajjuk

We have struggled for goals since we sold our two goal scorers, Mane and Pelle. They scored over 50% of our goals, and we technically didn't replace either. I know people will say Boufal replaced Mane, but they're totally different types of player. You're not ever going to see Boufal hit 10+ goals a season.

Gabbiadini is a good player, but he's never, ever, ever in his life been a lone striker. That's not what he is. He can play either wing, or in behind a striker - but he is not the sort of player who can play up top. That's part of our problem at the moment as well, the ball doesn't stick and it doesn't allow time for anyone else to get forward - that's why Boufal plays so deep to come and get the ball. Ideally you want players like him in the box, or just outside the box - not near the centre circle.

For me, Long starting is a no-brainer right now. He starts with Gabbi.

Long can then pull the channels and open the space in the centre for Gabbiadini. How on earth Gabbi is expected to do anything up front when it's just him and no one within 5 yards is beyond me.

We lack a focal point up top for sure. We have good support players, but no focal point.

Absolute spot on.

he was our top scorer last season.

able to score circa 20 goals in a prem season.

what we do now is failing miserably, got to do something different otherwise we will be fighting to stay up soon enough

I'd play Long up top alongside Gaba. OK so he isn't the most prolific goalscorer however he causes opposition problems. Austin is a good option sure but fitness wise come 40 odd minutes he is blowing out of his are.

Deffo need two up top though the over reliance on Redmond needs to stop same as Boufal personally I would drop both play Sims on the right wing and some other youth prospect on the left or Tadic. For me Redmond is annoying to watch runs produce nothing loses the ball then whinges at team mates.

As for Boufal nothing but a box of tricks with no end product a.k.a Gaston version 2.0.

We need some leadership at the back get Van D back pronto!

What is up with our goal keeper he is like a tree on a golf course doesn't move for anything.

Personally both Davis and Ward Prowse OK for backup squad players however we lack creativity and goals both should of been upgraded.

I'd play Long up top alongside Gaba. OK so he isn't the most prolific goalscorer however he causes opposition problems. Austin is a good option sure but fitness wise come 40 odd minutes he is blowing out of his are.

Deffo need two up top though the over reliance on Redmond needs to stop same as Boufal personally I would drop both play Sims on the right wing and some other youth prospect on the left or Tadic. For me Redmond is annoying to watch runs produce nothing loses the ball then whinges at team mates.

As for Boufal nothing but a box of tricks with no end product a.k.a Gaston version 2.0.

We need some leadership at the back get Van D back pronto!

What is up with our goal keeper he is like a tree on a golf course doesn't move for anything.

Personally both Davis and Ward Prowse OK for backup squad players however we lack creativity and goals both should of been upgraded.

If we want to solve our goal scoring problem, I really don't see the point of playing Long. We need a finisher, and especially one who can score from all the high crosses we lob in, which was our main tactic under Puel and continues to be so under Pellegrino.