Goalscoring Problem - what can we do?

Dusic

Yet he never looked like actually putting the ball in the back of the net which is the primary job of a lone striker. He’s pretty “pony” at the job he’s primarily paid to do, scoring goals.

Michael Owen or Robbie Fowler in their prime wouldn't have looked like putting the ball in the net yesterday. What do you want him to do. Work hard, hassle their back 4, hold the ball up, chase lost causes & win balls he had no right winning , as well as creating his own chances which he then finishes. **** me, he'd be playing for city or Chelsea if he could do that. Stop being a twt and think before you post. He played well yesterday, it's not his fault we didn't manufacture a chance for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Owen or Robbie Fowler in their prime wouldn't have looked like putting the ball in the net yesterday. What do you want him to do. Work hard, hassle their back 4, hold the ball up, chase lost causes & win balls he had no right winning , as well as creating his own chances which he then finishes. **** me, he'd be playing for city or Chelsea if he could do that. Stop being a twt and think before you post. He played well yesterday, it's not his fault we didn't manufacture a chance for him

Long did play well yesterday it has to be said, and I am far from his biggest admirer. BUT, Jame's underlying point is still valid in that all those other things he does are great for the team but at the end of the day aren't going to get us goals. So the same issue persists. Long possibly should be starting in place of the ineffectual Redmond with our most natural striker, Gabbi, up front. But that isn't likely to happen either.

So having a different opinion is being a t*at? Got it. For what it’s worth, your assertion that he had no service is wrong. He missed a header in the second half which went miles off target (quelle surprise) and there was one moment that sticks in my mind when Cedric got he ball over and Long was nowhere near it as he hadn’t anticipated it. Had Austin or Gabbi been on then it’s one one.

Bluster and call names all you want, it won’t turn Long into a better striker. There’s a reason he rarely gets over ten goals a season, it’s because he can’t finish and doesn’t have a goal scorers instinct. You strike me as the kind of fan that just loves players who run around a lot and get “stuck in”. Long has that in spades but goals win games and in a lone striker system you need a reliable player who can actually score. Long isn’t that man unfortunately. If we want a front man who runs around, wins a few headers and wins the ball back then we may as well play Yoshida or Van Dijk up front.

There’s a case for Long being on the pitch (hence the earlier comment that, if he were a midfielder, it would have been a decent performance) but in a team that struggles for goals you can’t have a non scoring striker as your main man, no matter how good they are at “hassling”.

This is a unique idea on this forum, which seems to be packed with experts but the answer to the Opening Question could be: 'Leave it to the Manager and the coaching staff'. It's possible that the professional staff know their jobs and have a better idea of how to win matches in top level football than people watching from the sidelines few of who turn up to training sessions or squad meetings. Much as it would be nice to think that Pellegrino looks through this forum on a daily basis, it's also possible he has better things to do, in which case all the well-meant advice is just being wasted.

This is a unique idea on this forum, which seems to be packed with experts but the answer to the Opening Question could be: 'Leave it to the Manager and the coaching staff'. It's possible that the professional staff know their jobs and have a better idea of how to win matches in top level football than people watching from the sidelines few of who turn up to training sessions or squad meetings. Much as it would be nice to think that Pellegrino looks through this forum on a daily basis, it's also possible he has better things to do, in which case all the well-meant advice is just being wasted.

Quite so, but we are now getting into record breaking territory (If not already smashed) for goals at home in the last 15 games.

It's totally broken and not working, nobody, but nobody can argue that, the stats, facts and results are testament to that.

The irony for me is that Puel's team created chances, just didn't score them. At the moment, we aren't even creating at home.

And if Pelligrino, isn't taking advice (And I completely agree, not from here) Then he is an idiot................

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Quite so, but we are now getting into record breaking territory (If not already smashed) for goals at home in the last 15 games.

It's totally broken and not working, nobody, but nobody can argue that, the stats, facts and results are testament to that.

The irony for me is that Puel's team created chances, just didn't score them. At the moment, we aren't even creating at home.

And if Pelligrino, isn't taking advice (And I completely agree, not from here) Then he is an idiot................

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Interestingly I noticed we had more shots on goal (14) and the same amount of shots on target (4) as Man United. I certainly don't remember many, other than the Romeu and Redmond shots.

Long did play well yesterday it has to be said, and I am far from his biggest admirer. BUT, Jame's underlying point is still valid in that all those other things he does are great for the team but at the end of the day aren't going to get us goals. So the same issue persists. Long possibly should be starting in place of the ineffectual Redmond with our most natural striker, Gabbi, up front. But that isn't likely to happen either.

Long is poor stuck out wide in Redmonds role, he needs to play in a 2 or on his own. It only works on his own if the 3 behind contribute goals, as they don't we're always going to struggle playing one up top. Gabby isn't physical enough yet ( for English game) & Charlie's not mobile enough. I'm not saying Long is perfect far from it, and if we are going to play one up we needed to spend money & get someone decent in, but we look better and he's been the best option this season.

We've played a lot better with Long up front on his own rather than Gabbiadini. I like Gabbi, but he should never start on his own again - unless we're working on his link up play in training.

Nail on head. All the shouting about Long not being a natural scorer won't change this. If we're going to play one striker we have 3 options, a non goal scoring bloke who can hold up the ball and has pace, a slow,injury prone goalscorer who can physically do a job until he's blowing out of his arse at halftime, or a striker with good movement who can score, but needs service, service we're incapable of giving him.

Anyone other than Long up front away at Stoke would be madness. Gabbi will be running around not touching the ball & Austin won't be quick enough to get us up the pitch

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Pretty pointless having a forum if you're just going to leave it to the professionals.

We have three strikers and we don't seem to play to any of their strengths.

Austin is a goal poacher if you play him you stick him as close to the oppostion goal as possible and leave him there. No point having him drop deep to collect balls or rotating with other two in a front three so he ends up playing out wide.

If we play Long then really we should be looking to just go long and hit the channels so he is running on to to the ball and turning the CBs around

If we play Gabbi we need to be playing it into his feet or into space behind defenders.

Instead we play a style that requires out strikers to win lots of ball in the air often with their back to goal, win headers from endless crosses pumped into the box and hold up the ball to bring in players from midfield.

Maybe we should just pick our best striker (which is clearly Gabbi) and get the team to play to his strengths rather than trying to get our strikers to play like a big CF.

Simples sign a powerhouse striker in Jan. Somebody good in the air and who can hold up the ball and bring others into the game. Granziano Mark 2 is what we need. Long can't score, Austin is blowing out of he's arse after 20 mins and Gabba is played best on the left not a lone striker....

So having a different opinion is being a t*at? Got it. For what it’s worth, your assertion that he had no service is wrong. He missed a header in the second half which went miles off target (quelle surprise) and there was one moment that sticks in my mind when Cedric got he ball over and Long was nowhere near it as he hadn’t anticipated it. Had Austin or Gabbi been on then it’s one one.

Bluster and call names all you want, it won’t turn Long into a better striker. There’s a reason he rarely gets over ten goals a season, it’s because he can’t finish and doesn’t have a goal scorers instinct. You strike me as the kind of fan that just loves players who run around a lot and get “stuck in”. Long has that in spades but goals win games and in a lone striker system you need a reliable player who can actually score. Long isn’t that man unfortunately. If we want a front man who runs around, wins a few headers and wins the ball back then we may as well play Yoshida or Van Dijk up front.

There’s a case for Long being on the pitch (hence the earlier comment that, if he were a midfielder, it would have been a decent performance) but in a team that struggles for goals you can’t have a non scoring striker as your main man, no matter how good they are at “hassling”.

Well put James ........Long is no out and out striker so why play him as one .What we really miss is Tadic playing left wing ,Redmond or Bouffal right and a big target man thats missing(Pelle) to hold up finish or create chances for others around.Whats annoying is build up play is so predictable fast counter till about half way towards the goal slow it down put a foot on it and start again.Wow frustrates the fkcu outta me and many others to boot. As soon as we go a goal down were in the sthi.So many posters that are well established on here think other posters thier opinions dont matter,hell im no Long fan so why play him instead of one of our club record signings in recent seasons?................dunno either and he scored 2 agianst them in a bigger match than this one.Our fixtures we started with were a dream now we have to pick up or we get into a relegation frame of mind .Wake up forum were in the siht.

Long was a handful against MU, leave him there, because when Gabbiadini and Austin came on without Long there was no cohesion and they were ineffective. Long needs players to get up and anticipate the breaking ball that he creates, Tadic, Davis and Redmond haven't a clue how to do this and lack scoring instincts.

Gabbiadini is a natural left sided player and a goal scorer play him there, play Austin who is only a goal scorer to get in and around the goal area looking for Long's knock downs, play Redmond, Tadic or Davis off the right to balance this. Go longer if necessary as over 3500 passes this season has produced two goals and two penalties. 61% possession against MU, 71% in the second half, no goals. As long as we play three inept forwards when it comes to goal scoring and one striker it will not bring goals.

This manager keeps playing the same way hoping for a miracle, it isn't going to happen, just rotating three out of six who have no goal instinct. They might get the odd goal but that is nowhere near enough. We already have two competent midfielders in Romeu and Lamina, we don't need three more non scoring midfielders in positions that need a goal scoring instinct. I fear that it will be later rather than sooner before it finally sinks in that his one trick pony approach isn't working. Why throw on two strikers to try and score a goal with ten minutes left when his favoured system isn't capable of scoring. Play the strikers from the start.

We have failed to score in 8 out of our last nine home games, absolutely shocking form!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Not really answering the question in the thread.

Do you go into old folks homes and shout, "you lot are really old! Some of you can't even walk anymore!!"?

Nail on head. All the shouting about Long not being a natural scorer won't change this. If we're going to play one striker we have 3 options, a non goal scoring bloke who can hold up the ball and has pace, a slow,injury prone goalscorer who can physically do a job until he's blowing out of his arse at halftime, or a striker with good movement who can score, but needs service, service we're incapable of giving him.

Anyone other than Long up front away at Stoke would be madness. Gabbi will be running around not touching the ball & Austin won't be quick enough to get us up the pitch

Not if we want to score a goal, beacause Long rarely creates one or scores one. Since his goal v Sunderland last year, Long has managed just 1 assist in 17 league appearances. He has scored only 4 goals in his last 40 Premier Legue games. If we are looking to get a 0-0 draw then yes, because Long helps the defence by harrying opposition players but he doesn't help us score goals. I understand why people like him because he is a cheeky Irish chappy who runs around a lot and gives 100% effort but as a striker he has little or no end product. Having said that, after a 17 match goal drought he is certainly due one. :)

We look flashy but don't score like this. What good has all this pace in the formation gotten us? If we don't score we don't win. We need a combination of pace, yes with Long, and finishing with Austin and Gabbi. Have Austin in the center always around the goal keeping the defenders honest, and have Gabbi/Long/and whoever crashing into the box. Right now we fly around, yes very fast, but without any real threat. People complain about the lack of goals (or no goals) and rightfully so, but continue to want to play with the same tactics. Gabbi and Austin have both proven they are the two guys we have who can get the ball in the net, they need to play, unless of course we are trying to tie our way to stay in the PL.

Which is what I've been saying for months. Can't remember which game it was last season, (it may have been the Boro game?) but we'd been short of goals and I was begging for Puel to Play Long and J-Rod in place of Tadic and Redmond. Much to my surprise he did it and we actually scored goals. I honestly don't understand how Redmond makes the first 11 every week.

Where has this idea that Gabbi's best position is on the left come from? He has barely played there in his whole career, played quite a bit on the right at Sampdoria but not on the left. It wouldn't even make sense for him to play on the left, he is left footed and very far from being an orthodox winger.

Simples sign a powerhouse striker in Jan. Somebody good in the air and who can hold up the ball and bring others into the game. Granziano Mark 2 is what we need. Long can't score, Austin is blowing out of he's arse after 20 mins and Gabba is played best on the left not a lone striker....

Spot on comment

disapointed in pelegrino so far to be honest. we sacked puel for his boring football but so far this guy is worse. i understand he has inherited much of the same squad puel had but it seems he is favouring the grind and graft type players over any spark of creativity. gabbiadini and boufal probably our most exciting players and both are now dropped with boufal not even getting on the bench last time. this guy was a record signing yet we are not even giving him a chance to shine whilst redmond has proved himself already as a headless chicken with no end product and most of the time doesnt even try to take players on or use his pace.

the first 11 we have put out the last 2 games have zero flair or shooting ability, maybe we have been spoiled the last few years but we are feeling more like a team that can only grind for results now like a west brom or something.