Palace vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

If Palace do not sack Frank de Boer before the next game, the next game will determine whether Frank de Boer will be sacked. Surely, Frank de Boer will throw everything to us in order to win the game. However, according to my memory, we have been good at such sitation and have been the immediate cause of sacking of some managers (please name a few). Hopefully, we can add this tally this week.

If Palace do not sack Frank de Boer before the next game, the next game will determine whether Frank de Boer will be sacked. Surely, Frank de Boer will throw everything to us in order to win the game. However, according to my memory, we have been good at such sitation and have been the immediate cause of sacking of some managers (please name a few). Hopefully, we can add this tally this week.
He has been sacked.

Bit extreme after 4 games, especially when the replacement is Roy Hodgson.

No doubt the majority on here will be calling for Les to do the same at 2.30pm on Saturday when Palace register their first points of the season against us.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

What was extreme was appointing him in the first place. No sane chairman should have overlooked the total Milan disaster. FdB is obviously nothing more than an Eredivisie coach.

McCarthy,

Cedric, VVD, Hoedt, Bertrand

Lemina, Romeu

Long, Boufal, Redmond

Gabbiadini

Stephens in if VVD isn't fit, although he'll get battered by Benteke.

Predicting 2-0 Palace.

The 4-2-3-1 system may have worked when we had Mane and Pellè, but it doesn't for the personnel we have now.

Time for a change.

That is absolutely insane. What chance does anyone have if you only get 4 games.

You cannot tell if something is working or not working after 4 games, it's absolutely mental.

I hope they nosedive to league 1.

Depends if you are on the inside with more information at hand. What was insane was employing him in the first place especially with the squad of Big Sam style players.

59b657b18dd5dd25d4d22771

We have better suited players for the Diamond formation this season.

Lemina seems wasted as a holding player/Davis and JWP aren't good enough for a holding player and a waste of time playing them as part of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1.

Long and Gabbiadini can both split much better than what Redmond and Austin could when we tried it last season.

JWP and PEH can both easily slot in for Davis with little fuss. As can Boufal for Tadic.

It also allows us to switch to a 4-3-3 in the second half if necessary by bringing on Redmond for Long and having him and Tadic wide.

This is true.

You cannot tell if something is working or not working after 4 games, it's absolutely mental.

Glasgow can tell after a less than a week whether a new burger flipper is good enough. He's always pleased when they aren't, that leaves the position open again and he can dream of promotion. :)

That is absolutely insane. What chance does anyone have if you only get 4 games.

Try telling that to some of the geniuses on this forum. They can tell for sure whether a new manager is going to succeed or not after a handful of games...

Edited by trousers

Even less reasons for Long to play now. Previously CP were playing a fairly high line under FDB so there might have been space in behind to exploit but I fully expect with Hodgson they'll go defensive and counter attack, even at home I reckon, with a more direct style.

So they'll probably sit much deeper and we'll have to break them down on as if we are the home side. Can quite easily see a 1-0 to them with a Benteke goal on the break or a set piece.

You want Austin in the box. For what? All the chances we're creating?!

People talk about Austin like he's this amazing goalscorer even if he is a poor footballer. But he has been on the pitch and been just as ****e this season.

We invested in a striker and he's making all the right runs.

Personally think it's largely irrelevant who is up front until we get at least one of our attacking midfielders on form.

Yeh I want him in the box providing another threat with Gabiadini so they have more people to mark and we more forward options for the midfield to actually pass to, plus someone that is actually able to hold up the ball a bit, you only have to look at the problems two up top caused Liverpool for Man City. Gabbiadini can run all day but if there are 4 defenders covering him and no other Saints player within 20 yards of him it's going to cause problems.

And been on the pitch? He's played 50 minutes of football in 4 league games FFS, which is 7 minutes less than the useless Long people are so desperate to give an undeserved chance to, jeez people talk some rubbish.

Edited by tajjuk

Try telling that to some of the geniuses on this forum. They can tell for sure whether a new manager is going to succeed or not after a handful of games...

Feck we'd be 4-0-0 right now and in the next round of the cup if only the club listened to them and got in Silva.

#itsthatsimple

The 4-2-3-1 system may have worked when we had Mane and Pellè, but it doesn't for the personnel we have now.

Time for a change.

Agreed. Create some competition for places, ruffle a few feathers.

Would 3-5-2 work for us?

Stephens, VvD, Hoedt

Cedric, Lemina, Romeu, Hojbjerg (Davis?), Bertrand

Gabbiadini, Austin

Romeu holding the middle DM, Lemina & Hoj (Davis?) more attacking, supporting front 2. Bertrand & Cedric marauding wide.

Main problem: can any of this lot shoot? On target?

Is it too defensive? Too one-dimensional?

Gotta try something, ffs!

If no VvD, then Yoshi instead & Hoedt in CB.

I left out a whole load (Tadic, Boufal, JWP, Redmond) because I don't think they've stepped up to the mark this season. Make them earn their places back.

Long isn't a starter imo (Or if he does, take Hoj out & use Long to sit in behind front 2, running from deep).

I think Van Dijk and Hoedt (if they play) are capable of keeping Benteke from scoring. After Saturday I'm more worried about our speed to the second ball, which is even more important to Palace than it was Watford.

Ward-Prowse didn't work in the hole but his defensive workrate would be useful. Assume Lemina will be back too, which is just as well.

Edited by DuncanRG

Yeah I've bet on them. Seems too obvious really. VVD blatantly won't be back and we'll bring Tadic and JWP back in or something.

I just want to see Long/Gabbiadini/Boufal up front now, whether it's Boufal behind a front 2 or him and Long wide. 3 mobile forwards with a bit of pace. Tried everything else and it doesn't work. Solid team behind them and let these 3 unsettle their defence please.

I still like Long despite his rubbish goal record. So long as he's not the main striker I think he's useful.

Just about every defender who he comes up against (or has)says he is horrible to play against

59b657b18dd5dd25d4d22771

We have better suited players for the Diamond formation this season.

Lemina seems wasted as a holding player/Davis and JWP aren't good enough for a holding player and a waste of time playing them as part of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1.

Long and Gabbiadini can both split much better than what Redmond and Austin could when we tried it last season.

JWP and PEH can both easily slot in for Davis with little fuss. As can Boufal for Tadic.

It also allows us to switch to a 4-3-3 in the second half if necessary by bringing on Redmond for Long and having him and Tadic wide.

Very sensible post. Makes a lot more sense than going for 3 at the back. Our back four are not the problem and if the midfeild functions Cedric and Bertrand can get forward enough in a back four.

Stick Tadic on the left of the diamond where he belongs, and can link up with Bertrand or actually put in a good cross. Romeu at the base, and JWP on the right. Lemina can do the box to box stuuf and support the two strikers. My pick would be Gabbi and Long too, but Charlie could partner Gabbi if they play really deep and there no space behind.