Palace vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

Play Virgil. Simple.

Absolutely this - only saw TV highlights but we dont look a team - if VVD is the Captain and highest paid player then he should get the fans back on side by leading the team and changing our fortunes!

It is still early days and i know he is not a striker but can uplift the team to get us scoring and creating. Lemina also should be playing.

How was Hoedt yesterday?

Absolutely this - only saw TV highlights but we dont look a team - if VVD is the Captain and highest paid player then he should get the fans back on side by leading the team and changing our fortunes!

It is still early days and i know he is not a striker but can uplift the team to get us scoring and creating. Lemina also should be playing.

How was Hoedt yesterday?

I thought Hoedt was sound. I understand Lemina was rested after travelling. I agree about Virgil. No point in having kept him if we don't play him, and his return will be a lift for the whole team.

I think we may see him next week - may be easier for his first game to be away.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We'll have to agree to disagree as I don't think Austin runs at all and has worse control than Long, who also can cross a ball. Agree about his finishing, but when did Austin last score from open play?

I'm closer to you on Boufal etc., but IMO Tadic is the only one who occasionally gets his head up and sees a pass, but he does dither pathetically when he gets a shooting chance. Boufal and Redmond play for themselves and are like headless chickens. And Boufal is a lightweight headless chicken. I think he's had his chance.

I don't particularly want Austin running all over the place, I want him in the box where his movement in the box is good and then he can be the focal point. Gabi can then work of him, those two are our best finishers and have the best movement but look isolated when they play alone. As for technically I think Austin looks like Bergkamp compared to Long. When did Austin last play any decent amount of time? IIRC he also scored a few in pre-season and has the better pedigree than anyone in the squad. Plus he always seems confident, he has that arrogance about him which you need in a goalscorer.

Tadic slow play down too much for me and is zero goal threat, he wastes chances, I think he was statistically the worse player in the league last year for missing clear cut chances. Too early to write Boufal off IMO, there is talent there, whereas Tadic has been in below average form for a good 18 months. Like I said I'd drop all 3 and go for a wingback system, play to our strengths which is our defenders and two of the better full backs in the league, but I can't see it happening.

And jwp should?

IMO yes, set pieces alone he provides a threat that most don't. Plus who else are we going to play? Davis is far worse IMO and offers even less, Hojberg has dissappeared out of the picture and JWP seems a better bet than Redmond, Tadic and Boufal. I also don't think it helps him being out wide, he has no pace and has no dribbling ability, he's a playmaker, he should be in the middle linking play, Lemina should add physical presence next to him.

--------------- McCarthy ------------------------

------- Stephens ------ Hoedt ------ Yoshida -----

Cedric ------ Lemina ---- Romeu ----- Bertrand

---- Long ------- Austin --------- Gabbiadini

first Sub : VVD - play wherever we are failing - be it defence or attack

Dear god, derryitis is contagious.

Austin was fast enough to be our leading scorer last season, and to score 18 for QPR 2 year ago. Are we picking the fastest players or the players who actually score?

Based on most people's responses here they seem to want a forward line of Dyer/Sterling/Lennon/Long clones. As opposed to you know people who are actually good at football.

Austin isn't even slow, we saw his sprint speeds on the board in the Hoedt video.

--------------- McCarthy ------------------------

------- Stephens ------ Hoedt ------ Yoshida -----

Cedric ------ Lemina ---- Romeu ----- Bertrand

---- Long ------- Austin --------- Gabbiadini

first Sub : VVD - play wherever we are failing - be it defence or attack

I like the look of this team 3 at the back with wing backs who can actually cross the ball with 2 holding midfielders with 3 up top, Redmond and Tadic have been woeful they only lose the ball or pass it backwards, also agree with dropping Forster too he's been riding he's luck for ages and after the debacle performance against Watford surely his time is up Alex deserves his chance to show what he can do now.

I like the look of this team 3 at the back with wing backs who can actually cross the ball with 2 holding midfielders with 3 up top, Redmond and Tadic have been woeful they only lose the ball or pass it backwards, also agree with dropping Forster too he's been riding he's luck for ages and after the debacle performance against Watford surely his time is up Alex deserves his chance to show what he can do now.

Thank you Daz. I didn't write commentary, but you have talked it through well. I now read that VVD is playing for the U21 at Villa tomorrow. Hopefully that will be on the youtube channel, so let's all tune in and assess his commitment. If he looks ready, then maybe we have play him next Saturday.

No points no goals, I mean...there's no way they'll fail to beat us is there?!

Get VVD back in, no time to **** around. Would like to see a change in formation personally.

Stephens VVD Hoedt

Cedric Lemina Romeu Bertrand

Boufal

Long Gabbiadini

I know there's logic for dropping most of them, but think it might work. More movement up front and decent width with wing backs. Bertrand and Cedric are probably 2 of our best players so getting them involved more might help.

I'd play Yoshida along side VvD because they have played together enough to know the other. Reckon Virgil would benefit from the support. Also noticed a difference in Rom without Maya behind him.

I know a lot of people wont agree with this but I think we are putting to much importance on scoring/not scoring and I think this is affecting the players and there attitude in games. If we keep it tight at the back and dont concede sloppy goals ,like Saturday, where IMHO the closing down for both goals was at fault. Goals will come.

To defend properly and keep a clean sheet takes 95 minutes concentration, to score a goal is only a matter of seconds. I would be very happy with two nil/nil draws in our next couple of games.

................McCarthy

........Yoshida VVD Hoedt

...................Boufal

............Long Gabbiadini

As per adriansfc's post, with Yoshida in for Stephens. This could be interesting. Knowing how fluid 3-5-2 and 5-3-2 can be, especially away from home when giving up possession and playing on counter, this is worth serious consideration I would say. A system that suits the personnel without trying to shoehorn people in.

I know a lot of people wont agree with this but I think we are putting to much importance on scoring/not scoring and I think this is affecting the players and there attitude in games. If we keep it tight at the back and dont concede sloppy goals ,like Saturday, where IMHO the closing down for both goals was at fault. Goals will come.

To defend properly and keep a clean sheet takes 95 minutes concentration, to score a goal is only a matter of seconds. I would be very happy with two nil/nil draws in our next couple of games.

Chicken and egg situation.

If you know you're struggling to score goals (or even create proper chances - we've had 11 shots on target in 4 league games this season, 2 of which were penalties), it puts more pressure on the defence because one slip-up means you're probably going to lose.

On the flipside, if you concentrate too much on defence, then you'll never create enough chances to win games.

Also interesting that if you consider Long's best spell for Saints (for anyone really), it was up front with Mane. When he started last season as a lone striker he was really poor. Perhaps being the main goal threat gets to him? Ok we don't have anyone like Mane but Gabbiadini is a good mobile striker and can finish. The way things are right now he needs support and Long compliments him, will create a lot of space.

Anyone crying out for Austin in a 2 clearly hasn't seen us play him in a 2. After Augsberg I don't MP would do it.

If you play that back 3 and that 4 in front, you have a really solid platform to allow 3 mobile attackers a lot of freedom.

Does he whisper sweet nothings in his ear?

After the Wolves debacle, I would be amazed if we try three central defenders again for a while.

Considering we've not tried it yet, we could try playing Gabbiadini and Redmond in support of Austin. Gabbiadini has played that role before, so will be aware of the defensive responsibility involved, and at least you know that he will do his best to get close to Austin to give him some support. Maybe that's the way we get two strikers in the team, because we're definitely not going to be weakening the midfield by going 4-4-2 any time soon.

Worst away performance I think last season, completely fell apart in 3-0 defeat with Forster making an error, surely it won't happen again?

No goals in 9 out of last 12, not so much a goal drought but a full on famine now.

I think if VVD comes through the u23s game ok he'll be back along with Lemina.

Forget it people. We are going down and this game will be one that clouds the sky above even the most optimistic Saints fans. My advice (feel free to offer yours to me)

1: Get money on Saints to be relegated before this game currently around 25/1

2: Don't waste anymore time watching this mess. During those 6 hours I could have read The Great Gatsby and still had time left for Brave New World or watched the entire first season of Rick and Morty and had time to listen to every Beatles album released after 1965.

3: Take up another sport. Archery is fantastic or the american football season has just started.

Anyway 1-0 Palace (Benteke 68') Doesn't matter who starts.

Forget it people. We are going down and this game will be one that clouds the sky above even the most optimistic Saints fans. My advice (feel free to offer yours to me)

1: Get money on Saints to be relegated before this game currently around 25/1

2: Don't waste anymore time watching this mess. During those 6 hours I could have read The Great Gatsby and still had time left for Brave New World or watched the entire first season of Rick and Morty and had time to listen to every Beatles album released after 1965.

3: Take up another sport. Archery is fantastic or the american football season has just started.

Anyway 1-0 Palace (Benteke 68') Doesn't matter who starts.

80-al_20bundy_20head_20shot_zpsh892z67h_8d159b23b3b55cd8b33fd5a81e0e624f5f890667.gif

The problem is that we are not CREATING any chances now. So don't focus on finishers. The issue is the midfield and threading passes through to Gabi. Have to play Austin or Long and knock in crosses. And a quick player to push it through. Wish Sims was available. He had the pace and drive. Anyone in the U21 team who could do the job for us?

Nathan Tella?

We can't expect to go up against teams like Crystal Palace and win, especially when it's possible that JWP and Forster might start. As long as we work hard then we should be happy. Sure we'll lose 2 or 3 nil but for a side like ours that's a pretty good result.

Partly agree, but think we need to create chances for it to be a good result. A goal would be awesome. Happy with a 3-1 or 4-1 defeat, with minimum 3 shots on goal.

................McCarthy

........Yoshida VVD Hoedt

...................Boufal

............Long Gabbiadini

As per adriansfc's post, with Yoshida in for Stephens. This could be interesting. Knowing how fluid 3-5-2 and 5-3-2 can be, especially away from home when giving up possession and playing on counter, this is worth serious consideration I would say. A system that suits the personnel without trying to shoehorn people in.

I agree about trying the formation and almost agree on personnel. I have doubts over Boufal's ability to link play to the front two.

Not Redmond either, but I'd consider Davis, Tadic or JWP in that role.

You want Austin in the box. For what? All the chances we're creating?!

People talk about Austin like he's this amazing goalscorer even if he is a poor footballer. But he has been on the pitch and been just as ****e this season.

We invested in a striker and he's making all the right runs.

Personally think it's largely irrelevant who is up front until we get at least one of our attacking midfielders on form.

This.

You want Austin in the box. For what? All the chances we're creating?!

People talk about Austin like he's this amazing goalscorer even if he is a poor footballer. But he has been on the pitch and been just as ****e this season.

We invested in a striker and he's making all the right runs.

Personally think it's largely irrelevant who is up front until we get at least one of our attacking midfielders on form.

Pretty much spot on IMO

We could of course try Gabbi in one of the AM slots behind long or Austin, personally I would play long as I think he offers more.

I cant help but think however that removing our best striker from that position is daft though, the problem doesnt seem to be Gabbi's fault, he is making the right runs, just getting next to no service

Slightly left field, but maybe this, it gives us a bit of beef in mid-field.

.......................McCarthy.........................

.........Yoshida......VVD.......... Hoedt..........

Cedric ......Romeu.....Stephens.......Bertrand

....................Lemina....Boufal....................

..................... Gabbiadini........................

Like this but swap Boufal for Davies or JWP

Option 1

.......................McCarthy................... ......

Cedric ......Romeu.....Lemina.......Bertrand

.............Gabbiadini....Boufal.............. ......

..................... Long........................

Option 2

Cedric ...Romeu..Davis...Lemina.......Bertrand

.............Gabbiadini....Long.............. ......

Option 3

Cedric........VVD.......... Hoedt.........Bertrand

................Romeu.....Lemina....................

JWP..................Boufal......................Tadic

........................Long........................

We may disagree about Ward-Prowse, but I like your thinking with this line up. If PEH was training well and confident I'd consider him over Stephens. Against Huddersfield Lemina showed up when played in a more attacking box-to-box role.

Assuming he comes through the game tonight, and makes himself available for selection, VVD has to come in and start on Saturday.

He is the best CB in the PL, a threat in the opposition box and also a leader in the way he plays - we fought hard to keep him, so play him.

59b657b18dd5dd25d4d22771

We have better suited players for the Diamond formation this season.

Lemina seems wasted as a holding player/Davis and JWP aren't good enough for a holding player and a waste of time playing them as part of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1.

Long and Gabbiadini can both split much better than what Redmond and Austin could when we tried it last season.

JWP and PEH can both easily slot in for Davis with little fuss. As can Boufal for Tadic.

It also allows us to switch to a 4-3-3 in the second half if necessary by bringing on Redmond for Long and having him and Tadic wide.