Palace vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

Early kick off for this one, 1230 on Sky Sports.

Palace are still without a point and have a trip to Burnley tomorrow which isn't exactly a fun place when you're low on confidence. Having said that, what do teams normally do when they're bottom of the league and have just lost 4 in a row? That's right, go and spank Saints 3-0.

My Dad used to tell me, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. So with that in mind, I'd personally change as much as possible and play something like this.

McC

Cedric - Yoshi - Hoot - Bertrand

Hojbjerg - Romeu - Lemon

Gabbi - Austin - Tadic

Try and boss the centre of midfield, get a couple of players close to the main striker and allow the fullbacks to overlap.

We've got to so something different. Gabbiadini needs support, and we should be starting Austin - the current line up is not scoring and he's the closest we've got to a proven goalscorer at this level. I'd stick em both in.

Redmond needs dropping, but then so does Tadic and Boufal has done nothing to justify a place. There's very little there to excite me at the moment.

Its clear we've dropped another bo llock in the window - someone , anyone to freshen up an underperforming and overrated attack.

Next week could be a who-gets-sacked-first play off.

What's the point of playing Austin and Gabbiadini?

Neither can create or hold up the ball, so don't go anyway to solving our problems.

What I'd give to have Pelle back....to think we sold him for £12m is so infuriating. We've had a good quality target man during all of our recent success and we are suffering for not having one now. We played so many long balls forward today but they just came straight back.

Gabbiadini is a bit of an issue. Clearly a good finisher and will score us goals but he doesn't suit the system we play. We had 5+ years of Lambert and Pelle playing the lone striker and it worked a treat. Gabbi is a totally different player to those two.

I have a bad feeling about this one.

It reminds me of when we lost to Norwich early in the PL season, despite the fact they had lost every game up until then. I remember that **** Wrigleys banal comments about letting them back in with a shout.

I hope the result doesnt end up the same.

If Mope loses to De Boer, I think him and Reed should go.

The problem is that we are not CREATING any chances now. So don't focus on finishers. The issue is the midfield and threading passes through to Gabi. Have to play Austin or Long and knock in crosses. And a quick player to push it through. Wish Sims was available. He had the pace and drive. Anyone in the U21 team who could do the job for us? Right now, we are stuck in an indefinite loop of recycling the ball around and no-one prepared to move it forward to create the chances.

Poor sky chosing this **** game,

its got 0-0 written all over it.

I have no idea what the odds are but I'm going to find a bookies and stick £100 on a NIL NIL.

Bloody easy money I say?

Not if they have a shot on target it isn't.

Changes are needed otherwise we're in for a long season at the wrong end of the table. That's said, I can't believe people are calling for Stephens to be replaced, he was our best player my a mile in yesterday's debacle. I'd play 3 at the back and work on it all week. Wolves can't happen again. I wouldn't start VVD yet, unless he's able to give a full 90, physically and mentally. If he is I'd start him in the middle of the 3. If not I'd start Yoshida. Either way I'd drop Forster, and go with 3421 in the Chelsea style, ie 1 up top supported by an inside left and inside right. That way we can give Gabbi proper support whilst hopefully getting more service to him. Lemina has to start to give more presence in the middle, we looked like the under 18 team vs the big boys yesterday. You've got to earn the right to play and Palace would batter yesterday's 11. My team :

Mccarthy

Stephens

VVD/Yoshida (depends if vvd ready)

Hoedt

Cedric

Romeo

Lemina

Bertrand

Boufal

Redmond

Gabbi

Bench. Whoever but I'm not persuaded by Boufal and I'd be looking to get Long on early if Boufal or Redmond don't get involved enough.

Something has to change. We can't persist with 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 so I'd go for

--------------Forster-------------

- Yoshida -- Stephens -- Hoedt -

Cedric---------------------Bertrand

-------Romeu----Lemina----------

Redmond--------------------Boufal

--------------Gabi-----------------

They are a very very very average side, Watford are actually pretty decent, so if we lose this it really is time to start worrying.

is this game 'el sack-ico'

two utterly terrible sides playing each other.

This really does look like 'battle of the duds' doesn't it ?

Trouble is neither Reed or Jordan will wan't to admit, 'well actually, Pelligrino (or DE Boer) wasn't our first choice as he was lured by Southampton(or Palace..)'

He offers far more than Austin. And Boufal as a #10? That requires the ability to read the game and make telling passes, neither of which he can do.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

More than Austin?

He runs fast in a straight line, but then he can't control a ball, or pass that well, or hold it up, or finish even easy chances let alone half chances, or cross that well, or do very much needed of an actual good striker. We need to score the chances we have and create more chances, Long is not going to help with either of that.

If we are going to play 10 men behind the ball and hoof into the channels then yeh he's is your man, but the actually win games of football, especially in a team like ours nope he is not good enough. He's a Championship striker at best.

As for Boufal, well personally Redmond, Tadic and Boufal have all been rubbish and I'm not sure I'd have any of them in the team but I can't see all 3 not playing so I went on the fact that Redmond and Tadic have been rubbish for a long long time, whereas Boufal has had a handful of games, so I'm more inclined to give him more benefit of the doubt. He's also the only midfielder we have bar maybe now Lemina that actually might score a shot from outside the box. I am not even sure Tadic can kick that far any more.

Edited by tajjuk

olqHPr3.png

Long should not be anywhere near our team.

The lack of pace in that team is frightening.

I'd go:

----------------------McCarthy-----------------

---------Stephens-----Hoedt-----VVD--------

--Cedric--------------------------------Bertrand--

---------------Romeu----Lemina-----------------

---------------------Davis-----------------------

---------------Gabbi-------Long----------------

Not a massive Long fan but he at least has the ability to stretch defences and he's decent enough in the air. Boufal, Redmond and Tadic haven't done enough (the latter two in particular) when given the opportunity.

The lack of pace in that team is frightening.

I'd go:

----------------------McCarthy-----------------

---------Stephens-----Hoedt-----VVD--------

--Cedric--------------------------------Bertrand--

---------------Romeu----Lemina-----------------

---------------------Davis-----------------------

---------------Gabbi-------Long----------------

Not a massive Long fan but he at least has the ability to stretch defences and he's decent enough in the air. Boufal, Redmond and Tadic haven't done enough (the latter two in particular) when given the opportunity.

The fascination of people choosing pace over actual ability is frightening. Harry Kane, Dele Ali and Erikson are not quick, they do alright as a forward line. The likes of Redmond and Sterling for example have bundles of pace......

Doesn't really matter if he 'can stretch defences' (which is doubtful anyway) if he can't do anything with it what is actually the point, he's not even decent in the air either. Austin is vastly superior and I'd fancy Gabbiadini to win more headers.

It's quite amazing how a poor player like Long suddenly jumps into everyone's team's without any good reason. This is a guy who has a premiership scoring record of 235 games, 46 goals.

Don't quit your day job, pal.

I doubt you even have a day job.

More than Austin?

He runs fast in a straight line, but then he can't control a ball, or pass that well, or hold it up, or finish even easy chances let alone half chances, or cross that well, or do very much needed of an actual good striker. We need to score the chances we have and create more chances, Long is not going to help with either of that.

If we are going to play 10 men behind the ball and hoof into the channels then yeh he's is your man, but the actually win games of football, especially in a team like ours nope he is not good enough. He's a Championship striker at best.

As for Boufal, well personally Redmond, Tadic and Boufal have all been rubbish and I'm not sure I'd have any of them in the team but I can't see all 3 not playing so I went on the fact that Redmond and Tadic have been rubbish for a long long time, whereas Boufal has had a handful of games, so I'm more inclined to give him more benefit of the doubt.

We'll have to agree to disagree as I don't think Austin runs at all and has worse control than Long, who also can cross a ball. Agree about his finishing, but when did Austin last score from open play?

I'm closer to you on Boufal etc., but IMO Tadic is the only one who occasionally gets his head up and sees a pass, but he does dither pathetically when he gets a shooting chance. Boufal and Redmond play for themselves and are like headless chickens. And Boufal is a lightweight headless chicken. I think he's had his chance.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie