Palace vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

Just about every defender who he comes up against (or has)says he is horrible to play against

His end product is lacking, sure enough, but he makes up for that with the panic he creates in oppo defences. Someone mentioned him playing like an angry wasp, that's a decent description.

We will lose 2-0. They will shoot roughly towards the goal and Forster will do one of those non-existent dives to make it look like a worldie. tadic will miss a golden chance. Gabbi will run around totally exposed on his own, unserviced. The midfield will get overcome by numbers, intensity and quality. The board will go into more meltdown. Some will call for MP"s head. The club may start to realise we're in trouble. Palace will be fine, and now go on a run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We will lose 2-0. They will shoot roughly towards the goal and Forster will do one of those non-existent dives to make it look like a worldie. tadic will miss a golden chance. Gabbi will run around totally exposed on his own, unserviced. The midfield will get overcome by numbers, intensity and quality. The board will go into more meltdown. Some will call for MP"s head. The club may start to realise we're in trouble. Palace will be fine, and now go on a run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or we will win and the likes of you will hardly post

I would go for:

-------------Forster------------

Cedric-VVD-Hoedtveld-Bertrand

-------Lemina-----Romeu---------

Redmond---Davis----Tadic

-------------Gabbi--------------

There is nobody not in that lineup who is i.) Better than anyone who is or ii.) Has shown any reason when they have played that they deserve to start.

They'll be working all week by Roy just to not leak goals and keep a solid shape, they'll be playing much deeper and Sakho will have a blinder. We'll huff and puff all game trying to break them down, miss a few easy chances then Benteke or someone will score from a set piece from only their second attack of the game.

They'll be working all week by Roy just to not leak goals and keep a solid shape, they'll be playing much deeper and Sakho will have a blinder. We'll huff and puff all game trying to break them down, miss a few easy chances then Benteke or someone will score from a set piece from only their second attack of the game.

I don't think Sakho is expected to be fit for a while yet after his bad knee injury last season.

Could be wrong.

The rest of your post sounds plausible.

:D

I'm guessing you mean Wesley Hoedt, rather than Jos Hooiveld?

Southampton-v-West-Ham-Jos-Hooiveld-pa2_2667377.jpg

Hoedt and Hooiveld are basically the same player but one is younger and better (we hope).

The way Hoedt stands, runs and hits a crossfield pass is scarily similar to Jos.

(No suprise that passed you by).

4-3-3 for me

Cedric--Stephens--Hoedt--Bertrand

JWP-------Romeu---------Lemina

Long----Austin----Gabbi

Our midfield keeps getting overrun so I think we need to play 3 midfielders - a tackler in Romeu, a box-to-box runner in Lemina and a passer in JWP (who when played in the right position on the right of a midfield can be a good player).

Upfront we need the physical presence of Austin in the box to give us a focal point - and actually encourage our fullbacks to get forward and cross the ball and our midfield to play the ball forward. The pace, physicality and running of Long will cause any defence problems as we've all seen and also open up the space. And hopefully with Austin holding the ball and laying it off or getting on the end of crosses and Long mixing it up physically it will create some space for the intelligent movement and finishing of Gabbiadini coming in off the left flank.

For me Gabbi is just not suited to leading the line so we need to change things around to get the best out of him.

And with Lemina making runs in to the box to be the 4th man - and JWP sitting deep to make the play or going wide to cross the ball in we might actually see some goals - or at least some attempts at scoring.

And with Hojberg, Redmond and Tadic on the bench we might have some subs who can make and impact if we need it.

Anyway that's the theory - now just for the practice!

Hoedt and Hooiveld are basically the same player but one is younger and better (we hope).

The way Hoedt stands, runs and hits a crossfield pass is scarily similar to Jos.

My friend has suggested it's rather like Pokemon - you have a Hooiveld and when he evolves to the next level, he is a Hoedt.

But he doesn't have Fox trying stand in the same place as him. Admittedly Fox did play on the left of him sometimes but only by three inches although his favourite position was right up against the back of Hooiveld but probably three inches closer.

Found it very difficult to understand the preview video of the away game in 2012. There was someone who I think was called Lamb Bert or something who was making contact with the ball with his feet or head and directing it into that net thing.

Can't remember Saints ever doing that. Any idea what it's all about? [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

4-3-3 for me

Cedric--Stephens--Hoedt--Bertrand

JWP-------Romeu---------Lemina

Long----Austin----Gabbi

Our midfield keeps getting overrun so I think we need to play 3 midfielders - a tackler in Romeu, a box-to-box runner in Lemina and a passer in JWP (who when played in the right position on the right of a midfield can be a good player).

Upfront we need the physical presence of Austin in the box to give us a focal point - and actually encourage our fullbacks to get forward and cross the ball and our midfield to play the ball forward. The pace, physicality and running of Long will cause any defence problems as we've all seen and also open up the space. And hopefully with Austin holding the ball and laying it off or getting on the end of crosses and Long mixing it up physically it will create some space for the intelligent movement and finishing of Gabbiadini coming in off the left flank.

For me Gabbi is just not suited to leading the line so we need to change things around to get the best out of him.

And with Lemina making runs in to the box to be the 4th man - and JWP sitting deep to make the play or going wide to cross the ball in we might actually see some goals - or at least some attempts at scoring.

And with Hojberg, Redmond and Tadic on the bench we might have some subs who can make and impact if we need it.

Anyway that's the theory - now just for the practice!

This gets my vote.

Possibly Maya vice Jack Stephens (although I thought Jack was one of the very few positives from the Watford match) and Steve Davis vice JWP (if it is thought that the captain can't be dropped, and/or to add a bit more physicality than JWP offers).

But something different must be tried. I really don't see the point in persevering with the 4-2-3-1 and a front 4 of Redmond-Davis-Tadic behind Gabbi leading the line on his own.

The only major disagreement I have with your post above is the possibility of Hojberg coming off the bench to make an impact if needed. 1. I doubt h will even make the bench 2. with the possible exception of Watford at home last season (first match thereof) I can't recall him ever coming on and making a difference. Hojberg is not an attacking midfielder. He has only scored 2 goals in his entire career, and they were both more than 2 years ago.

I detest Hodgson.

The cowardly way he snuck out of the back door after being beaten by Iceland was a disgrace.

At least we won't have to worry about Benteke at corners. That footballing genius Roy will probably have him taking them.

Hodgson is a jellyfish. Fingers crossed we change the team around on Saturday, give them a good beating, and watch them flounder at the bottom of the table for the rest of the season.

I'd go for a team that defends like this:

-------------Forster-------------

Cedric--Yoshida--Hoedt--Bertrand

JWP---Romeu-----Lamina---Tadic

----------Gabbiadini-------------

-------------Long---------------

But allows Tadic the freedom to drift inside and Gabbi to either move into the box to support Long or to hang back and have a long shot or two.

Austin for Long after 60mins if we need a goal.

I'd go for a team that defends like this:

-------------Forster-------------

Cedric--Yoshida--Hoedt--Bertrand

JWP---Romeu-----Lamina---Tadic

----------Gabbiadini-------------

-------------Long---------------

But allows Tadic the freedom to drift inside and Gabbi to either move into the box to support Long or to hang back and have a long shot or two.

Austin for Long after 60mins if we need a goal.

I was thinking the same but Austin for Long , Long to come on with his pace when they're tired!

Its rare that I have missed a game over recent years but I can't make this one, and will try to do the "avoid the score and watch in play back" trick but have a bad feeling I will not get away without hearing it anyway!

I would stick with the back five, albeit strongly consider dropping Fraser for any further errors before Xmas. Lamina back for JWP and thereby releasing Davis to play further forward. Up front I would give Redmond one more game, as on his day he remains a real threat particularly away, but play Long instead of Boufal.

Am expecting MP to demonstrate that he is able to effectively prepare the team, without interruptions through the week, and intervene during the game either in terms of formation or subs if needed. In short, earn his money as I have yet to see him do so other than halftime at Udders.

Its rare that I have missed a game over recent years but I can't make this one, and will try to do the "avoid the score and watch in play back" trick but have a bad feeling I will not get away without hearing it anyway!

I would stick with the back five, albeit strongly consider dropping Fraser for any further errors before Xmas. Lamina back for JWP and thereby releasing Davis to play further forward. Up front I would give Redmond one more game, as on his day he remains a real threat particularly away, but play Long instead of Boufal.

Am expecting MP to demonstrate that he is able to effectively prepare the team, without interruptions through the week, and intervene during the game either in terms of formation or subs if needed. In short, earn his money as I have yet to see him do so other than halftime at Udders.

I can tell you one half of the scoreline now if you want? Nil.

--------------McCarthy

----Yoshida---VvD---Hodet

Cedric-----------------------Bertrand

---------Romeu---Lemina

-------------Gabbindini

--------Long--------Austin

Bench: FF, Stephens, Targett, Davis, JWP, Boufal, Tadic

With our FBs being so good going forward, this will allow them more freedom to be aggressive. Very strong midfielders to disallow anything in the middle. Gabby and Long can give chase/ run the channels. Austin must play.....so the crosses from cedric and Bertrand will connect......with someone. McCarthy needs a run of games. Targett/McQueen should get a game soon, to put some pressure on Bertrand. Hojbjerg may need to be on the bench, to have a like for like strong midfielder (rather than JWP).

I detest Hodgson.

The cowardly way he snuck out of the back door after being beaten by Iceland was a disgrace.

At least we won't have to worry about Benteke at corners. That footballing genius Roy will probably have him taking them.

Hodgson is a jellyfish. Fingers crossed we change the team around on Saturday, give them a good beating, and watch them flounder at the bottom of the table for the rest of the season.

When you say cowardly snuck out the backdoor, do you mean sacked and then made to do a press conference no other sacked manager has ever done?

Also the Benteke on corners joke was borderline funny when it was first said Monday. Not now.

--------------McCarthy

----Yoshida---VvD---Hodet

---------Romeu---Lemina

-------------Gabbindini

--------Long--------Austin

Bench: FF, Stephens, Targett, Davis, JWP, Boufal, Tadic

With our FBs being so good going forward, this will allow them more freedom to be aggressive. Very strong midfielders to disallow anything in the middle. Gabby and Long can give chase/ run the channels. Austin must play.....so the crosses from cedric and Bertrand will connect......with someone. McCarthy needs a run of games. Targett/McQueen should get a game soon, to put some pressure on Bertrand. Hojbjerg may need to be on the bench, to have a like for like strong midfielder (rather than JWP).

I am hugely relieved that we will not see a team anything like that.

VVD won't start. Austin shouldn't and won't start. We won't play three strikers. That central midfield would have no cohesion and would be annihilated.

I detest Hodgson.

Pretty sure it was our very own Dave Watson who looked after set pieces for England, as he does with us

I am hugely relieved that we will not see a team anything like that.

VVD won't start. Austin shouldn't and won't start. We won't play three strikers. That central midfield would have no cohesion and would be annihilated.

Apart from that it`s OK

-------------Forster

----Yoshida---Stephens---Hoedt

---------Romeu---Lemina

---------------Tadic

--------Long--------Gabbiadini

Davis is not suited to no.10 role. I don't care what anybody says, he doesn't have the creativity Tadic does (I'm not saying Tadic is a great no.10 but he's the best we've got). Davis may be our most consistent player and our 'Mr. Reliable' but that's because he doesn't take the necessary risks to play that kind of role. Also a front two of Austin and Gabbiadini lacks any pace. Too easy to defend against especially if we're dropping Redmond/Boufal. Long may be that spark up front we're looking for. We were too slow last weekend.

Van Dijk has done nothing to deserve replacing Stephens or Yoshida.

I agree but Benteke's height is a worry. Hope Hoedt's jump timing is good and he can put Benteke off a bit. Jack did quite well last season after the goal but have a feeling Palace will be much more direct now, getting a lot of crosses in.