Palace vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

Quite evasive on whether VVD will play but said everyone is fit and available .

I would put him back in. He will only regain sharpness by playing and we did 't fight so hard to keep him only for him to not play.

This.

It's always been know that Virgil hasn't fallen out with the manager or any of the players during the summer. He's a natural leader, so I won't be surprised if he's skipper.

Fans just need to accept he's back and support the team and him.

I would go for:

-------------Forster

----Yoshida---Stephens---Hodet

Cedric-----------------------Bertrand

---------Romeu---Lemina

---------------Davis

--------Austin--------Gabbiadini

Long on for Austin for final 30 mins.

I'm wondering who might lose out at the back if VVD returns. Positions might have to be rejigged unless it's a straight swap for Stephens. It would be harsh if Player of the Month Yoshida got the chop.

I'm wondering who might lose out at the back if VVD returns. Positions might have to be rejigged unless it's a straight swap for Stephens. It would be harsh if Player of the Month Yoshida got the chop.

He got the chop last game, so why would it be harsh now? Personally don't think we will see 3 CBs unless van Dijk plays, then it will be Jack, Virgil, Wesley. Saw nothing last week to suggest Wesley is a significant improvement on Yoshida. Maybe we should play Yoshida up front, wouldn't be any worse than Charlie and wouldn't be offside as much as Shane.

I would go for:

-------------Forster

----Yoshida---Stephens---Hodet

Cedric-----------------------Bertrand

---------Romeu---Lemina

---------------Davis

--------Austin--------Gabbiadini

Long on for Austin for final 30 mins.

There isn't a creative player in that team at all. It's 5 defenders, 3 hard working midfielders and 2 rather bored strikers getting no kind of service. I know Tadic, Redmond and Boufal have been pretty abysmal thus far but one of them needs to play.

There isn't a creative player in that team at all. It's 5 defenders, 3 hard working midfielders and 2 rather bored strikers getting no kind of service. I know Tadic, Redmond and Boufal have been pretty abysmal thus far but one of them needs to play.

I'd assume the service comes from the two wing backs banging crosses into the box perhaps with Davis and Lemina making runs into the box as well not very subtle but seeing as our current game plan is to bang endless crosses into a crowded opposition's box at least this way there might actually be some saints players in there as well to get on the end of things.

Agree, if u are to play 352 u need someone with that creative spark in the centre of the park, out of those 3 midfielders Davis needs to be dropped. I wouldnt start Austin either, we need pace in the team so it would have to be either Long or play Boufal or Redmond upfront, Austin then would come on in the 2nd half.

Agree, if u are to play 352 u need someone with that creative spark in the centre of the park, out of those 3 midfielders Davis needs to be dropped. I wouldnt start Austin either, we need pace in the team so it would have to be either Long or play Boufal or Redmond upfront, Austin then would come on in the 2nd half.

I'd got with Gabbi and Boufal up front and Tadic in behind if we were to play that formation.

It's no great surprise that van Dijk is pretty rusty, that game on Monday was his first game for nearly eight months. Suspect he'll need one or two more U23 games (or behind-closed-doors friendlies, depending on the schedule) before he's anywhere near a first team recall.

I'd agree with that. Surely needs another couple of games before he's anywhere near up to speed.

Saints trained at St Mary's today. What's that all about?

Our players literally had to be shown the way to goal. Like, with a map and pointing.

I imagine it was some vain attempt at overcoming the psychological hurdle of 9 blanks in 10 home matches (or whatever it is) by scoring for fun at St Mary's against our hopeless keepers.

Or maybe Staplewood was being renovated with diamonds and gold and booster seats in preparation for the triumphant return of Glorious Leader Cortese...

Per the Guardian:

“When Frank de Boer left Crystal Palace this week he became the first manager to be sacked after just four matches in the Premier League, breaking Les Reed’s record of losing his job after just seven games with Charlton in 2006”.

A monkey off Uncle Les back which should make us all happy.

Edited by shurlock

We have to change the team and/or the set up. If it's just the same selection in the same positions with the same tactics and hope for the best, Pellegrino can **** off straight after the inevitable defeat as far as I am concerned. Brisbane Saints gathering in Brisbane's football pub for the early kick -off. Hoping for a much better performance and outcome, but my blood will run cold if the exactly the same bunch of useless ****s are named before kick off.

Our players literally had to be shown the way to goal. Like, with a map and pointing.

I imagine it was some vain attempt at overcoming the psychological hurdle of 9 blanks in 10 home matches (or whatever it is) by scoring for fun at St Mary's against our hopeless keepers.

Or maybe Staplewood was being renovated with diamonds and gold and booster seats in preparation for the triumphant return of Glorious Leader Cortese...

Shooting practice - to avoid the ball going into the net. The only way they''ll score.

We've got to so something different. Gabbiadini needs support, and we should be starting Austin - the current line up is not scoring and he's the closest we've got to a proven goalscorer at this level. I'd stick em both in.

Redmond needs dropping, but then so does Tadic and Boufal has done nothing to justify a place. There's very little there to excite me at the moment.

Its clear we've dropped another bo llock in the window - someone , anyone to freshen up an underperforming and overrated attack.

Next week could be a who-gets-sacked-first play off.

The problems cannot be solved with a player who is immobile.

The problems are in midfield not in attack... We can't get the ball to our attackers that's the problem along with midfielders not making runs.

IMHO...

-----------------------------McCarthy---------------------------

Cedric-------------Stephens---------Hoedt-----------Bertrand

-----------------Romeu-----------------Lemina-----------------

-------------------------------Davis------------------------------

--------------Long------------------------Tadic/McQueen-------

-----------------------------Gabbiadini---------------------------

When you say cowardly snuck out the backdoor, do you mean sacked and then made to do a press conference no other sacked manager has ever done?

Also the Benteke on corners joke was borderline funny when it was first said Monday. Not now.

Left the players on the pitch while he snuck out, quit, and left without facing the music.

If he was sacked before he walked, he deserved it. Absolutely terrible England manager.

I'm sorry I don't amuse you. Never mind.

it's a strange feeling that come a Friday afternoon i couldn't give a rats arse about tomorrows game!

I'm not sure what it is...possibly the summer fiasco with that tit VVD, possibly the extortionate amount of money being paid for bang average players or possibly the crap football that has been served up for what seems a ages. I will go and play my morning game, come home, shower and then off to play my afternoon game and probably not give Saints a seconds thought.

Think we're nailed on to lose tomorrow - New manager, Benteke loves scoring against us and we are very average at the moment. I'd take a point. And a goal.

Yep - I'm even less optimistic than that - I'd just take an improvement in performance over last week (which really shouldn't be too difficult it was that bad!).

Palace have to win / score at some point and I can see it being tomorrow. So long as we don't get our asses kicked bad, Ill take it for now. Small steps.

Yep - I'm even less optimistic than that - I'd just take an improvement in performance over last week (which really shouldn't be too difficult it was that bad!).

Palace have to win / score at some point and I can see it being tomorrow. So long as we don't get our asses kicked bad, Ill take it for now. Small steps.

I love this kind of logic - Palace can't get a result or even a goal - so that will obviously change tomorrow.

Saints can't score - so that will obviously carry on indefinitely.

I love this kind of logic - Palace can't get a result or even a goal - so that will obviously change tomorrow.

Saints can't score - so that will obviously carry on indefinitely.

There is no logic in what I write - just blind optimism. I would love a win obviously, but so long as we don't under-perform (as we did last week) then I'll look upon that as progress.

I want to see the manager change the system to something more attacking and maybe a goal or two. Ideally 2 up front and some kind of threat.

Can't see much in the way of points out of this one but first things first, let's start scoring then we can concentrate on getting some points. We are in a rut at the moment.

it's a strange feeling that come a Friday afternoon i couldn't give a rats arse about tomorrows game!

I'm not sure what it is...possibly the summer fiasco with that tit VVD, possibly the extortionate amount of money being paid for bang average players or possibly the crap football that has been served up for what seems a ages. I will go and play my morning game, come home, shower and then off to play my afternoon game and probably not give Saints a seconds thought.

Think a lot of people feel similarly