"The Southampton Way"

Heisenberg

You might be onto something pal. Wasn't it suggested on here that Nik Nak dictated to Adkins to play 4-2-3-1 which was then adopted by Pochettino. That intervention turned out to be wildly successful.

Perhaps Uncle Les is trying to recreate old magic by similarly overseeing playing style?

Edited by shurlock

The little Italian done many bad things in his time, but you cannot argue with the results he achieved.

I know it wasn't his money but the reality is our ambition died the day he left.

It's a shame he wasn't a decent bloke who done business in the right way!

The little Italian done many bad things in his time, but you cannot argue with the results he achieved.

I know it wasn't his money but the reality is our ambition died the day he left.

Why, how did that directly affect you. I couldnt give a monkeys how he did his business, it was what was going on on the pitch that was important. As someone else said, our ambition went the day Cortese left.

When your club is based on a model that every part is interchangeable, and most players see it as a stepping stone (one good season and Im off) - then its hardly any wonder that we have lost all sense of The Southampton Way...whatever that was.

We have no identity whatsoever, we are literally just a feeder club for "bigger" teams. It seems the club are happy to buy cheap and sell expensive...and just keep ticking along like that.

Alternatively we have appointed two managers with no experience of the league and who don't know how to fix it?

Pellegrino was first team coach under Benitez and played in the premier league.

Just odd that both move to SFC and then immediately abandon the playing styles they favoured previously.... In favour of our current "style"

Just odd that both move to SFC and then immediately abandon the playing styles they favoured previously.... In favour of our current "style"

Nice rewriting history. Puel started with 4-4-2 diamond. Changed to 4-2-3-1 and then was reportedly sacked because the club asked him to change styles and he refused.

How many premier league games did Pellegrino play in?

If being a coach makes you a good manager what happen to Phelan and all the other coaches under really successful managers who have stepped up and been ****e?

Pellegrino might be ok yet, but bringing in a manager from outside the league is always a gamble.

Pellegrino needs to round the players up on Monday and ask them individualy what position on the pitch does each one prefer to play in and what formation.

Gabby 'Striker boss in a 4-4-2'

Austin 'Striker in a 4-4-2'

Forster 'Goalkeeper in a ....(gets interrupted by the whole squad laughing)

Why, how did that directly affect you. I couldnt give a monkeys how he did his business, it was what was going on on the pitch that was important. As someone else said, our ambition went the day Cortese left.

To be fair you'd have cared a lot when our club did what that lot down the road did because we'd overspent and relied on debt to give us an artificial position. Because that's exactly what would've happened, in fact the sales of our stars early on after he left were a direct result of his mismanagement of the financial situation and the need to claw that money back.

I really don't understand how people don't get this!? The mad italian midget wasn't good for the club, he was playing a risky game on someone else's money (to begin with), then on loans and alienating a huge amount of the club and footballing community at the same time.

Pellegrino needs to round the players up on Monday and ask them individualy what position on the pitch does each one prefer to play in and what formation.

Imagine it will go something like this....

And give a few of them a boot in the hole while he's at it!

Levy isn't a decent bloke. I'd rather have him than our entire board when it comes to recruitment. Really is a laughable comment SKD.

The club are signing square pegs for round holes, i.e. players that don't suit the system the club wishes to play

If we are to play a high press game, for differing reasons players like Austin ( slow), Boufal (feeble), Tadic ( falls over) and JWP ( nowhere near robust enough) are not the sort of player required.

Puel ended up putting out a defensive team because we didn't score goals, and I would anticipate Pellegrino will have to do the same until we sort this out.

The club are signing square pegs for round holes, i.e. players that don't suit the system the club wishes to play

If we are to play a high press game, for differing reasons players like Austin ( slow), Boufal (feeble), Tadic ( falls over) and JWP ( nowhere near robust enough) are not the sort of player required.

Puel ended up putting out a defensive team because we didn't score goals, and I would anticipate Pellegrino will have to do the same until we sort this out.

Puel set the team up defensively and asked them to play defensively, that was his choice, it wasn't forced upon him, he was even asked to change that and got sacked for it.

There is no set style of play because pretty much all the managers we've had have done something different, under Koeman we were pretty direct.

The Southampton Way does not refer to a style of play or formation and the OP knows that, he's just being his usual troll self.

Pellegrino is finding his feet, it's absurd to right him off after 5 games.

Alternatively we have appointed two managers with no experience of the league and who don't know how to fix it?

Yes, I fear it's more this. Both possession-based strategies, basically keeping hold of the ball but no penetration on goal. That may be fine 'sur le continente' but we like to get it in the mixer ASAP over here.

Yes, I fear it's more this. Both possession-based strategies, basically keeping hold of the ball but no penetration on goal. That may be fine 'sur le continente' but we like to get it in the mixer ASAP over here.

Palace are a good example of this as well.. Last season they were poor..big Sam arrives does what he does, and gets them enough points to stay up. They start with a manager new to the league this season, possession based stuff..no goals, four defeats and bottom three.

I hope MP learns quick and can mix it up a bit, Puel failed to do that. You knew what you were going to see as you walked up to the stadium whilst he was in charge and it wasn't fruitful especially at home.