Current Squad

SKD

Forster

JWP

Redmond

Long

And arguably (not in my particular opinion) Davis & Austin.

All average at very best. Need shipping out and replaced with genuine quality asap (January) as they're taking up spaces in the squad.

The trouble is, who would actually want any of them?

Jury is still out on Boufal and PEH but I'm happy to give them a bit more time.

Forster

JWP

Redmond

Long

All average at very best. Need shipping out and replaced with genuine quality asap (January) as they're taking up spaces in the squad.

I think this is a bit harsh. On Davis in particular.

Forster

JWP

Redmond

Long

as if that is going to happen.

2nd goal. Was well inside the post and he barely moved.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2538[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2539[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2540[/ATTACH]

I didn't see the game yesterday (Ascot), but I've just watched the replay for that second goal and it was atrocious. I've not been a fan of Forster for a while (want him replaced/etc), but I've still included him in my starting XI because he's potentially still the best we have/there's hope he'll find form again, but now I think he needs dropping. He's becoming a constant liability.

The first I think he could have come and taken the cross in the build up to it, the thing that is frustrating with Forster is that he doesn't command his box with his height and reach he should.

There was a point in the second half when Bertrand got in front of a Watford player and was Shepherding the ball back to Forster, expecting Forster to come for the ball, instead he stayed glued to his line. Bertrand was forced to pick the ball up and try and dribble it out of danger. He got no support from any saints players, got closed down by two Watford players and ended up conceding a corner. Forster seems to have some sort of unnatural aversion about leaving his line.

Look Forster is ****ing **** and has been for a while now.

Its going to cost Pellegrino his job soon if he does not replace this useless tub of lard from his duties of trying to impersonate a goalkeeper.

The only reason I can think of why he is selected is because he must not be conceding any goals in training.

But saying that I reckon I could perched my budgie on our goal line and he would not concede with our lame attacking force.

Forster has been poor for a long time now. I would play McCarthy and see if he's up to it. If so, have a good long think in the summer, if not, then we need to get the chequebook out in January.

Davis has been a loyal servant and is a consistent performer. However for the general standard of players for his position in the league, we need better.

JWP will always be a passenger against physical, athletic teams, just doesn't have it in him.

You wouldn't expect for a club like ours to have 22 players all of the same standard but the problem with those 3 now is that they start most weeks and the result is laid bare for us all to see

It would be interesting to compare the statistics for the number of shots from distance opponents are attempting against us now compared to, say, this time last season, and the same period two years ago.

I'd be amazed if other teams weren't being instructed to have a pop from distance, in the knowledge that Forster is so slow to react to them, that there's a strong chance of scoring from it.

Forster is dire. End of story. Can't distribute. Can't come for crosses. Can't dominate his area. Can't pull off worldies. Can't actually move very well. What on earth is he good at? Name one thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It would be interesting to compare the statistics for the number of shots from distance opponents are attempting against us now compared to, say, this time last season, and the same period two years ago.

I'd be amazed if other teams weren't being instructed to have a pop from distance, in the knowledge that Forster is so slow to react to them, that there's a strong chance of scoring from it.

His latest clip from Staplewood (vs a Tadic penalty)

N_yFn0.gif

1) FF is like a tree on a golf course. Opposition will start smacking long shots at him knowing frankly he is rubbish. Doesn't command the box or handle balls in the box. Is just a big lumbering mess.

2) Davis the engine of our midfield "Mr Consistent" doesn't really offer any creativity or goals should be upgraded.

3) Ward Prowse to lightweight, overhyped championship at best over hyped set pieces doesn't really offer us anything.

4) Boufal a box of tricks no end product ( Gaston ver 2.0)

5) Redmond run with ball do nowt get tackled have a moan at teammates.

6) Hoij makes to many mistakes not Premier league level.

7) Gaba probably our most intelligent technically gifted player isolated every game probably thinking Saints are a shambles. Off back to Italy in the Summer :)

2) Davis the engine of our midfield "Mr Consistent" doesn't really offer any creativity or goals should be upgraded.

Since getting promoted 2012/13:

12,793 minutes played

9 goals scored (1 every 1421 minutes or every 15.8 games)

18 assists (1 every 711 minutes or every 7.9 games)

Basically 2 goals and 4 assists a season.

That's closer to a DM strike rate than a #8 like Wijnaldum, Fabregas, Ramsey, Yaya Toure etc. You have to wonder why he has to play so deep when he's always had a DM beside him and at times 2 really good ones in Schneiderlin/Wanyama.

12,793 minutes played

That's closer to a DM strike rate than a #8 like Wijnaldum, Fabregas, Ramsey, Yaya Toure etc. You have to wonder why he has to play so deep when he's always had a DM beside him and at times 2 really good ones in Schneiderlin/Wanyama.

It's not a problem when you have Lallana, Lambert, JRod / Mane, Pelle, Tadic all in front of him. He was a brilliant link player between attack and midfield. Problem is now, that the front three aren't very good - doesn't matter what combination we use, whoever plays up front we just get the ball out wide and swing crosses in to no-one anyway.

There is no focal point to the team at the moment, and we don't seem to have a way of playing which we default to. We aren't a free flowing side, we aren't a long ball team, and we aren't a team who plays on the counter. We need to decide what sort of team we want to be and then play to that system. At the moment we just seem to get the ball and pass it sideways, then get it out wide, then give it away.

So frustrating.

12,793 minutes played

Not even as good as that, talking statistics because he scored in his first game against Man City. So it's 8 in 12703 since, every seventeen a half games still only two a season, pathetic. Bottled a lot more tackles though.

Whoever was co-commentating on the stream on Saturday (Curbishley?) suggested Forster has an achilles issue which prevents him pushing off effectively. Would explain his seeming inability to move quickly, but would make it completely bizarre to fail to address cover in the window given McCarthy's ongoing injuries too. If the commentator was aware of this physical limitation, presumably all the teams are (and would be from England camps anyway where they must have to manage the injury) and would make Steve's comment above re frequency of long range shooting even more relevant.

Whoever was co-commentating on the stream on Saturday (Curbishley?) suggested Forster has an achilles issue which prevents him pushing off effectively. Would explain his seeming inability to move quickly, but would make it completely bizarre to fail to address cover in the window given McCarthy's ongoing injuries too. If the commentator was aware of this physical limitation, presumably all the teams are (and would be from England camps anyway where they must have to manage the injury) and would make Steve's comment above re frequency of long range shooting even more relevant.

He was never this bad, so something has happened. It's time to stop persisting with him and let him recover if that's what it is.

McCarthy will not do any worse right now. Even Taylor wouldn't be bad at the moment...

1) FF is like a tree on a golf course. Opposition will start smacking long shots at him knowing frankly he is rubbish. Doesn't command the box or handle balls in the box. Is just a big lumbering mess.

3) Ward Prowse to lightweight, overhyped championship at best over hyped set pieces doesn't really offer us anything.

4) Boufal a box of tricks no end product ( Gaston ver 2.0)

5) Redmond run with ball do nowt get tackled have a moan at teammates.

6) Hoij makes to many mistakes not Premier league level.

7) Gaba probably our most intelligent technically gifted player isolated every game probably thinking Saints are a shambles. Off back to Italy in the Summer :)

Pretty much this, but add

8) Tadic - clearly has talent, but has forgotten he has a right foot, moans at team mates & has appalling body language

Pretty much this, but add

8) Tadic - clearly has talent, but has forgotten he has a right foot, moans at team mates & has appalling body language

He did make me and my mate smile at half time when he was warming up got the ball just outside the centre circle and ran at goal jinking, weaving, stepping over, dribbling past mesmerised worms in the St Mary's pitch, who offered no challenge, to tap home!!

On the flip side he lashed one into the Chapel stand without even holding his hand up in apology, folks he aimed at obviously weren't paying enough attention to his warm up!! :D

:lol: Just to correct, he said it was his achilles' heel :thumbup: His weakness. (unless I heard/watched highlights from a different stream! in which case, apologies)

Edited by Donatello

again, if you look he is only 3 or 4 ft from his goal line. The goal keeping coach should have him coached to be 5 or 6 ft off the line to increase the angle.

Not sure that's true... Nevertheless, perhaps a more telling observation is the positioning of his feet when he starts to dive (pic 1) and where his knee (pic 2) or feet (pic 3) end up. Looks to me like it's virtually the same horziontal position - i.e. despite 'diving' he didn't actually cover any extra distance by springing across the goal. He just fell down, like the robot in the GIF above.

again, if you look he is only 3 or 4 ft from his goal line. The goal keeping coach should have him coached to be 5 or 6 ft off the line to increase the angle.

if you look closely even the TV people realised it was a goal before the ball got anywhere near Forster (2-0, top left). That's how shiite he is

Forster is clearly still playing with an injury. Why McCarthy hasn't been played this season was evident last night when he conceded four. Numerous weak or young gk were signed on short term contracts but none have been trusted to replace FF. I am also confused why we didn't spend and bring in a quality keeper.

We can moan all we like about the players, but Reed and his committee recruit the players. Pellegrino (like Puel and Koeman before him) is the Head Coach. MP wasn't allowed to bring in his coaching team either. We are still using the legacy team

I really think we have an issue with the players brought in and still here and we have a huge problem with the coaching. Quality of players and quality of coaching together. Where does it end? Removing MP won't solve it.

Seriously confused and want someone to explain. Beggining of last season we looked like we we're in a panic for goals like this season. Long, jay rod and the usual am's weren't scoring. Austin was the only thing keeping us afloat and was scoring pretty regularly. I know he's injured a lot but a player isn't bad because they're injury prone, don't know where this opinion that Austin is bad came from. If you get him the ball to his feet in the box he scores, that's what he's always done. Problem is no one can get the ball there.

Forster is clearly still playing with an injury. Why McCarthy hasn't been played this season was evident last night when he conceded four. Numerous weak or young gk were signed on short term contracts but none have been trusted to replace FF. I am also confused why we didn't spend and bring in a quality keeper.

We can moan all we like about the players, but Reed and his committee recruit the players. Pellegrino (like Puel and Koeman before him) is the Head Coach. MP wasn't allowed to bring in his coaching team either. We are still using the legacy team

I really think we have an issue with the players brought in and still here and we have a huge problem with the coaching. Quality of players and quality of coaching together. Where does it end? Removing MP won't solve it.

What injury would that be?

Seriously confused and want someone to explain. Beggining of last season we looked like we we're in a panic for goals like this season. Long, jay rod and the usual am's weren't scoring. Austin was the only thing keeping us afloat and was scoring pretty regularly. I know he's injured a lot but a player isn't bad because they're injury prone, don't know where this opinion that Austin is bad came from. If you get him the ball to his feet in the box he scores, that's what he's always done. Problem is no one can get the ball there.

Austin is excellent in the penalty area - if that is the sole requirement, someone who, when presented with the ball in the penalty area with a scoring opportunity, scores more than he misses, then he fits the bill. However, I think there's a pretty solid argument that teams at our level - and those aspiring to be at a slightly higher level too - require a little bit more of an all-round game from a striker, the ability to drag defenders out from their central positions to create space for midfielders to run into (yes, yes, I know...), the ability to hold the ball up and bring other players into the game, etc, and I think those facets of the game outside the penalty area are where Austin falls a bit short.

If you could combine the finishing of Austin, the pace, aerial ability and general pain-in-the-arse-to-defenders of Long and the cleverness and subtlety of Gabbiadini, you'd basically have the perfect centre-forward, but that player would cost £90m in today's market.

Austin is excellent in the penalty area - if that is the sole requirement, someone who, when presented with the ball in the penalty area with a scoring opportunity, scores more than he misses, then he fits the bill. However, I think there's a pretty solid argument that teams at our level - and those aspiring to be at a slightly higher level too - require a little bit more of an all-round game from a striker, the ability to drag defenders out from their central positions to create space for midfielders to run into (yes, yes, I know...), the ability to hold the ball up and bring other players into the game, etc, and I think those facets of the game outside the penalty area are where Austin falls a bit short.

If you could combine the finishing of Austin, the pace, aerial ability and general pain-in-the-arse-to-defenders of Long and the cleverness and subtlety of Gabbiadini, you'd basically have the perfect centre-forward, but that player would cost £90m in today's market.

Sounds like one we let go (all be it without the pace) to China.....

I don't think many really appreciated at the time how good Pelle actually was.

Sounds like one we let go (all be it without the pace) to China.....

I don't think many really appreciated at the time how good Pelle actually was.

I've always liked playing with a big striker. Players like Lambert & Pelle could help bring quicker / skillful players into the games, plus are always an outlet when under pressure.

Look at West Ham the other night. Carroll made their game so much easier on Monday night.

It always puzzled me that we deviated from having a target man in our armoury, after it had served us so well.

Austin is excellent in the air, has an excellent first touch, ball control, quick thinking and bravery (doesn't fall over every time another player comes near him). If you think the only reason he scores is because the ball comes to him while he's stood around in the penalty area may i suggest you watch his 100 goals video (yes he has had one of those for years now) and one of any since, like his prem goals for QPR for eg.

Austin is excellent in the air, has an excellent first touch, ball control, quick thinking and bravery (doesn't fall over every time another player comes near him). If you think the only reason he scores is because the ball comes to him while he's stood around in the penalty area may i suggest you watch his 100 goals video (yes he has had one of those for years now) and one of any since, like his prem goals for QPR for eg.

I agree, pre injury last season he was starting to look a decent centre forward. Once Puel stopped fannying around with him and played him straight down the middle he looked ok. Good strength, hold up play & his all round game looked better. Fitting him in with Gabbi is a tough one, maybe could Gabbi play in the 10 role. If he played the same role as Pelle and stayed fit, he'd score as many goals and do as good a job as Pelle did imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, Saints don't have any midfielders who can do that, rather obviating the need for a striker who can bring the midfield into play, no? The team need at least one player who can stick the ball in the net and Austin is the best available at present. He can also be relied on to score penalties.

If van Dijk ever does play again for the first team, I would have him concentrate on headers from corners and get the wingers and full-backs to play for corners off defenders, can't see goals coming any other way. Yoshi has a good go, but is usually a bit off-target, I reckon he ran over a black cat or whatever the Japanese equivalent might be, such is his lack of luck at times.