Cortese

bubblyone

Strange comment Dodd, you do know that Les Reed signed none of our key players pre-prem?!?!
In the TalkSport interview the Italian said he knew little about football and recruited Pardew because he was an available good candidate - he had no particular vision at point.

Therefore it is pretty easy to surmise that the signing of top drawer lower league proven performers - Lambert, Fonte, Hammond - was jack sh it to do with an Italian lawyer. His football "vision" came later. I wonder, really really wonder, who was the single biggest influence on that....?

Therefore it is pretty easy to surmise that the signing of top drawer lower league proven performers - Lambert, Fonte, Hammond - was jack sh it to do with an Italian lawyer. His football "vision" came later. I wonder, really really wonder, who was the single biggest influence on that....?

Credit where credit is due. Les Reed was clearly instrumental in the the signing of Lambert, Fonte and Hammond.

So great was Leslie in all this that he helped us despite not being an employee at the time and was still assistant manager on a voluntary basis at Bishop's Stortford FC in the Conference South when all 3 had joined.

Lambert joined 8 month BL (BL = before Les)

Fonte joined 3.5 months BL

Hammond joined 8 months BL

Lets give Leslie credit anyway.

Credit where credit is due. Les Reed was clearly instrumental in the the signing of Lambert, Fonte and Hammond.

So great was Leslie in all this that he helped us despite not being an employee at the time and was still assistant manager on a voluntary basis at Bishop's Stortford FC in the Conference South when all 3 had joined.

Lambert joined 8 month BL (BL = before Les)

Fonte joined 3.5 months BL

Hammond joined 8 months BL

Lets give Leslie credit anyway.

Thanks for replying to my post about him appointing Alan Pardew and Pardew signing those players, not an Italian banker.

Well done on trimming my post to remove that bit as well - a true craftsman.

Cortese "developed his philosophy" later, very obviously influenced by the football people at the club. ie Sir Les.

Edited by CB Fry

Strange comment Dodd, you do know that Les Reed signed none of our key players pre-prem?!?!

When Les joined in 2010 one of the areas under his control was scouting. So you really think despite being in charge of scouting he had no input on player signings and Nicky came up with all the signings on his own?

Reed, who also coached Fulham, will oversee four main areas at Southampton - the academy, scouting, sports medicine and equipment Procurement

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8625569.stm

When Les joined in 2010 one of the areas under his control was scouting. So you really think despite being in charge of scouting he had no input on player signings and Nicky came up with all the signings on his own?

Reed, who also coached Fulham, will oversee four main areas at Southampton - the academy, scouting, sports medicine and equipment Procurement

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8625569.stm

Nah, Cortese did it all. He admits not understanding football before he appointed Pardew but within days after appointing Pardew he immediately became a football expert and personally scouted and signed Dean Hammond and Rickie Lambert and Cortese's historic links with Crystal Palace give him a real head start on personally signing Jose Fonte.

Thanks for replying to my post about him appointing Alan Pardew and Pardew signing those players, not an Italian banker.

Well done on trimming my post to remove that bit as well - a true craftsman.

Cortese "developed his philosophy" later, very obviously influenced by the football people at the club. ie Sir Les.

I found it mate...

63taft.jpg

I found it mate...

63taft.jpg

Mauricio Pochettino, May 2013

"Me on a personal sense, I would not understand a Southampton without Uncle Les being here.

"When I first arrived here, nobody knew who Mauricio Pochettino was. Les put his faith in me and knew me from way, way back.

"When I got to know his project, we were basically on the same wavelength as to what we wanted for Southampton in the future.

"Basically, my future in Southampton has to be with Les.

#beatingheart

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/8715504/southampton-boss-mauricio-pochettino-will-leave-if-nicola-cortese-quits

Edited by shurlock

Nah, Cortese did it all. He admits not understanding football before he appointed Pardew but within days after appointing Pardew he immediately became a football expert and personally scouted and signed Dean Hammond and Rickie Lambert and Cortese's historic links with Crystal Palace give him a real head start on personally signing Jose Fonte.

If you check corteses interviews pre saints

He always said should he should he ever be lucky enough to run a third tier English football club his first signing would be Dan Harding.in addition If ever he need a right back at that level no one would stand in his way of signing Jon Ostemebor. He Always admired his forays down the fight flank when he was turning out for Liverpool u21s.

You would have to be naive in the extreme to believe Pochetino would not have gone to Spurs if Cortese had stayed. Are you 12 years old FFS? it's just an employee sticking up for his boss.

I genuinely believe he would have. The mentality and ambition changed when Cortese went. It was a domino effect from there which started the process of us becoming a serial selling club. Or "showcase" club as Reed calls it. There was a real feeling amongst the players and staff that saints was the place to be at that time (before Cortese left). It was clear the club wanted to flat line at that point rather than press on. I don't buy in to this he fact that this wouldn't have b en sustainable financially either - you have to speculate to accumulate and you don't become a bigger team unless you think like one. He had that ingrained in everyone at the club and was a winner. When you take calculated risks to progress it tends to pay for itself in success in the long term which leads to $$$

I genuinely believe he would have. The mentality and ambition changed when Cortese went. It was a domino effect from there which started the process of us becoming a serial selling club. Or "showcase" club as Reed calls it. There was a real feeling amongst the players and staff that saints was the place to be at that time (before Cortese left). It was clear the club wanted to flat line at that point rather than press on. I don't buy in to this he fact that this wouldn't have b en sustainable financially either - you have to speculate to accumulate and you don't become a bigger team unless you think like one. He had that ingrained in everyone at the club and was a winner. When you take calculated risks to progress it tends to pay for itself in success in the long term which leads to $$$

#clueless

How do you propose that we firstly keep our top players when they are being offered double or more money elsewhere and remain sustainable?

Where and how would you "speculate to accumulate"?

What calculated risks would you have taken?

Or perhaps a fan with the whit greater than that of a fool who seems to think real like is akin to FM2017.

I'd leave the thinking to those who seem capable of it if I were you as it appears to be a skill you've yet to master.

How does "whit" come in to this?

I don't recall people saying we had a Pompey style model when Cortese was with us. Some people back the club regardless when it's obvious the players don't feel we are ambitious now so want to leave at the first opportunity wearas then they felt we were on the up. This contributes to the fact our feel good factor has almost gone. Stop dancing the the tune of whatever the club do and think for yourself

I don't recall people saying we had a Pompey style model when Cortese was with us. Some people back the club regardless when it's obvious the players don't feel we are ambitious now so want to leave at the first opportunity wearas then they felt we were on the up. This contributes to the fact our feel good factor has almost gone. Stop dancing the the tune of whatever the club do and think for yourself

Lol lol lol - keep it coming.

We were (were) on the up then. Not as easy to be on the up when in the prem. Problem is we would need to spend godzillions to be more on the up than we are now. Pray tell me where the money would come from? That's why I referred to a Pompey model i.e. Spend what you ain't got put your fingers in your ears say la la la I'm not listening when you realise that it hasn't worked and you now owe more than you can bring in and watch the club fall apart.

Cortese bailed out because he knew we had hit the glass ceiling. The players agents would have already let him known that they want to leave and even with an owner prepared to throw silly money around (which we didn't have) we couldn't stop them going to Liverpool or Man Utd.

Without a backer prepared to chuck hundreds of millions down the drain Cortese realised his Champions League ambition was just a pipe dream.

Cortese bailed out because he knew we had hit the glass ceiling. The players agents would have already let him known that they want to leave and even with an owner prepared to throw silly money around (which we didn't have) we couldn't stop them going to Liverpool or Man Utd.

Without a backer prepared to chuck hundreds of millions down the drain Cortese realised his Champions League ambition was just a pipe dream.

Cortese bailed out because he wouldnt be allowed to continue his autocratic job in a new contract as Kat and adivisors wanted a democratic board, so that millions could not be borrowed like had happened.

Maybe Cortese was actively trying to get rid of players before he left ;-)

His champions league dream was always a pipe dream and never going to happen.

His core end game btw was selling the club to make himself a mega million windfall.

They considered getting rid of Cortese not long after Markus died, but bulked at paying his massive contract up.

Nobody should belivee a word he says..........

How do you propose that we firstly keep our top players when they are being offered double or more money elsewhere and remain sustainable?

Where and how would you "speculate to accumulate"?

What calculated risks would you have taken?

well we kept van dijk when we wanted too. i understand we cant keep them forever but we dont have to sell as soon as clubs come knocking and roll over.

lallana had just signed a new deal so if we had wanted to could have kept him longer. just because a player is being offered more money elsewhere doesnt mean we have to agree to it.

:lol:

1st time I've ever been accused of that.

I love the delusion of the cultists. It's truly astounding to discover just how "special" some of our fans are.

I'm sure in their rather weird dream world we've already won the UCL with a defence that had VVD, Toby & Jose, flanked by Shaw & Clyne, feeding Victor & Morgan with Pelle, Lallana & Mane banging them in for fun.

:lol:

1st time I've ever been accused of that.

I love the delusion of the cultists. It's truly astounding to discover just how "special" some of our fans are.

I'm sure in their rather weird dream world we've already won the UCL with a defence that had VVD, Toby & Jose, flanked by Shaw & Clyne, feeding Victor & Morgan with Pelle, Lallana & Mane banging them in for fun.

There's your flaw no goalie !![emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk