Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 87 of 87

Thread: 1st team and u23's gash

  1. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
    It's worth remembering that these guys were first recruited 10 years or so ago when we were at our lowest point in the league so a less attractive academy than before or since. It's a bit early to say these guys wont make it because they have already been sifted once or twice. They deserve to be where they are for the work they have put in to date. But I hear that in five years, we have a very strong batch coming through.

    Let's keep ou feet on the ground though. The benchmark is one academy player per year breaking through to the first team. With so many fans demnding big money signings it's not surprisingthat it's harder and harder for academy stars to break through.
    If that's true, it explains a lot! Are there stats on when each of our U-23 and U-18 players joined us?

    I thought many of them were poached from other Academies, rather than joining aged 10 etc.

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,544

    Default

    Our academy has fallen a long way based on recent results. The first team is currently dishing up some absolute garbage and can't score. Nothing seems to be changing tactically and the coaching personnel (apart from the 1st team manager) have not changed. Pellegrino needs to sort this all out - it's his job. His job to get the right coaching team around him, his job to get the first team winning again (for which they will need to score a goal sometime), his job to oversee the development of players that can be introduced into the first team. So far I have seen no evidence he is willing to change anything. Patience already running thin. Watford was an absolute disgrace.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    14,768

    Default

    A friend of ours, son, was trailed for the academy at a young age 8-9. The thing that stuck with me was she said their were a couple of boys the academy wanted but they went to Chelsea because Chelsea offered incentives like a new car to the parents. No idea how true that is but if that sort of thing does go on then even at a very young age we are probably losing out on the best recruits to the big money clubs.
    Last edited by doddisalegend; 13-09-2017 at 10:30 AM.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    5,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    A friend of ours, son, was trailed for the academy at a young age 8-9. The thing that stuck with me was she said their were a couple of boys the academy wanted but they went to Chelsea because Chelsea offered incentives like a new car to the parents. No idea how true that is but if that sort of thing does go on then even at a very young age we are probably losing out on the best recruits to the big money clubs.
    I thought that was illegal, Liverpool got a ban for paying for a stoke academy player's schooling so they could get him to join Iirc! ?

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    7,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    A friend of ours, son, was trailed for the academy at a young age 8-9. The thing that stuck with me was she said their were a couple of boys the academy wanted but they went to Chelsea because Chelsea offered incentives like a new car to the parents. No idea how true that is but if that sort of thing does go on then even at a very young age we are probably losing out on the best recruits to the big money clubs.
    Chelsea are hoovering up every big of young talent in Sussex too


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsbridge Saint View Post
    Our academy has fallen a long way based on recent results. The first team is currently dishing up some absolute garbage and can't score. Nothing seems to be changing tactically and the coaching personnel (apart from the 1st team manager) have not changed. Pellegrino needs to sort this all out - it's his job. His job to get the right coaching team around him, his job to get the first team winning again (for which they will need to score a goal sometime), his job to oversee the development of players that can be introduced into the first team. So far I have seen no evidence he is willing to change anything. Patience already running thin. Watford was an absolute disgrace.
    Agree with what you are saying but I would expect Pellegrino wanted to bring his own coaching staff but it was declined.
    Cortese in his interview yesterday loved Pottychino and backed him by bringing in 3 other staff members with him.
    I bet our current manager goes home moaning at his wife about the current staff around him but his hands are tied by Reed and co.

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    I can't believe some of the comments on here. The first team are doing badly, can't find the net and got battered by a wolves reserve team and outclassed at home by Watford. The u23's are even worse and the nippers struggling too. I'm struggling to understand what is wrong with pointing about the obvious and questioning what is going on.

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    14,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    I thought that was illegal, Liverpool got a ban for paying for a stoke academy player's schooling so they could get him to join Iirc! ?




    I think that was because he was already signed to Stoke's academy rather than the fact they were offering his parents brib.....err incentives.

    These kids my friend was talking about were very young looking to join their first academy.
    Last edited by doddisalegend; 13-09-2017 at 11:59 AM.

  9. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    I can't believe some of the comments on here. The first team are doing badly, can't find the net and got battered by a wolves reserve team and outclassed at home by Watford. The u23's are even worse and the nippers struggling too. I'm struggling to understand what is wrong with pointing about the obvious and questioning what is going on.
    We are not allowed to be unhappy plus we must carry on paying our money and watching the team score no goals.
    I can't wait for Saturday where I will watch anything over 25 yards fly in our net while at the other end I will see lots of tappy, tappy and a few blasts into the sky.

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sometimes here, sometimes there...
    Posts
    2,525

    Default

    and this yours...

  11. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    I think that was because he was already signed to Stoke's academy rather than the fact they were offering his parents brib.....err incentives.

    These kids my friend was talking about were very young looking to join their first academy.
    They take them on as young as 6 to train, but I believe they don't fully join the academy until u8's or 9's.

    Crazy really. There's no surprise that young players these days generally have poor attitudes when they're treated the way they are at 6/7 years old.

  12. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    I think that was because he was already signed to Stoke's academy rather than the fact they were offering his parents brib.....err incentives.

    These kids my friend was talking about were very young looking to join their first academy.
    Going back a few years I was told by someone to academy that Chelsea had recruited a French lad paid for a house in best school district in London just to get him to sign.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  13. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Youth teams are there to learn, they are apprentices, they will make mistakes and lose matches. The coaching staff are not the common denominator. The teams have different coaching staff and are at different stages of their footballing development and learning. Results at any youth level are not the be all and end all, its performance and progression that are important.

    Yes there are problems with the first team at the moment but it's a bit simplistic to point purely at the coaching staff, and stupid to cite the youth in such a negative post. Moron.

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    This was not a "youth game".

    Instead of criticising others opinions why don't you offer a constructive suggestion as to what you think our problem is? Or isn't there one? Let's all pretend we're still on the up!! Black, Watson, Jaidi have given us no evidence to suggest they have improved us whatsoever.

  14. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    Agree with what you are saying but I would expect Pellegrino wanted to bring his own coaching staff but it was declined.
    Cortese in his interview yesterday loved Pottychino and backed him by bringing in 3 other staff members with him.
    I bet our current manager goes home moaning at his wife about the current staff around him but his hands are tied by Reed and co.
    I wonder what Pellegrino makes of Eric Black, who was recruited by Reed mainly because he spoke French and had met Puel before? The players' performances since Black came have generally deteriorated and since Dave Watson was recruited all of the goalkeepers at the club have got a lot worse. Now Watson also seems to be getting involved in coaching the outfield players as he was the one giving instructions to the subs during the Watford match. Does this indicate Pellegrino trusts him more than Black?

  15. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    I can't believe some of the comments on here. The first team are doing badly, can't find the net and got battered by a wolves reserve team and outclassed at home by Watford. The u23's are even worse and the nippers struggling too. I'm struggling to understand what is wrong with pointing about the obvious and questioning what is going on.
    Nothing wrong at all. Same as there's nothing wrong having a different perspective

  16. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    I wonder what Pellegrino makes of Eric Black, who was recruited by Reed mainly because he spoke French and had met Puel before? The players' performances since Black came have generally deteriorated and since Dave Watson was recruited all of the goalkeepers at the club have got a lot worse. Now Watson also seems to be getting involved in coaching the outfield players as he was the one giving instructions to the subs during the Watford match. Does this indicate Pellegrino trusts him more than Black?
    Watson giving the subs instructions is not a new thing.

  17. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    I wonder what Pellegrino makes of Eric Black, who was recruited by Reed mainly because he spoke French and had met Puel before? The players' performances since Black came have generally deteriorated and since Dave Watson was recruited all of the goalkeepers at the club have got a lot worse. Now Watson also seems to be getting involved in coaching the outfield players as he was the one giving instructions to the subs during the Watford match. Does this indicate Pellegrino trusts him more than Black?
    It's nothing new, he is in charge of set pieces so that's presumably what he's telling them and he's done since arriving at Saints.

    He's even done it for England before ( 01:39 in the video below if you don't believe that) so your theory of suddenly getting involved is nothing new.



    Oh, and I'm sure Eric Black has little influence considering he is just a coach. But, you know, agendas and all that.

  18. #68

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Surrounded by Skates
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    Going back a few years I was told by someone to academy that Chelsea had recruited a French lad paid for a house in best school district in London just to get him to sign.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Chelsea moved an academy player and entire family into a rather large property in Cobham a few years ago. Then the usual Loan process was actioned resulting in player eventually being sold. So yes this still happens.

  19. #69

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    26,399
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
    Nothing wrong at all. Same as there's nothing wrong having a different perspective
    I think it would be hard to have a differing perspective given the facts that are available and the drastic downturn in results across the age groups but each to their own.

  20. #70

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    26,399
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GGalpin View Post
    It's nothing new, he is in charge of set pieces so that's presumably what he's telling them and he's done since arriving at Saints.

    He's even done it for England before ( 01:39 in the video below if you don't believe that) so your theory of suddenly getting involved is nothing new.



    Oh, and I'm sure Eric Black has little influence considering he is just a coach. But, you know, agendas and all that.
    Thanks for that video I hadn't seen it before. Makes me a little sad that we don't have a hero and talisman at the moment like we had with Rickie. The seasons he played for us were probably the best seasons of my saints supporting life. Not sure I've ever celebrated a goal more than that one against Scotland other than maybe the semi final goal last year and Derby in the playoff semi.

  21. #71

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Stalking Theo's Missus
    Posts
    11,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Thanks for that video I hadn't seen it before. Makes me a little sad that we don't have a hero and talisman at the moment like we had with Rickie. The seasons he played for us were probably the best seasons of my saints supporting life. Not sure I've ever celebrated a goal more than that one against Scotland other than maybe the semi final goal last year and Derby in the playoff semi.
    I can agree with you there. It was fantastic!

  22. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I can agree with you there. It was fantastic!
    Put the Mane one against Liverpool where he scored in the last few minutes on the list too.
    Great days

  23. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Mark View Post
    Chelsea moved an academy player and entire family into a rather large property in Cobham a few years ago. Then the usual Loan process was actioned resulting in player eventually being sold. So yes this still happens.
    They also use addresses which they claim the families live at when in fact they don't move at all.

    Chelsea run an "academy" training site at Fleming Park on Friday evenings. It's all about seeing as many players as possible. They also ran trial sessions there in the summer holidays.

    Michael Calvin has written an excellent book about how academy football works if anyone is interested.

    https://agreatread.co.uk/no-hunger-i...oaAoEwEALw_wcB

  24. Default

    We just beat Man City U18s 3-0, so maybe the future isn't looking quite as "gash" as the present...

    https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-...ier-league-cup

  25. #75

    Default

    Hansen, a summer signing from Norway seems to be a good prospect.

  26. #76

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    We just beat Man City U18s 3-0, so maybe the future isn't looking quite as "gash" as the present...

    https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-...ier-league-cup
    I hope we never buy their GK , 1st and 2nd goals !!

  27. #77

    Default

    Let's just say some of you aren't that far off when it comes to Chelsea and their academy recruitment. I have some horror stories. (amazing - literally news just broken on SSN of a FIFA probe around youth player transfers).

    Players can get snapped up as young as 8 (depending on the clubs category in the EPPP) most clubs now run a 'pre-academy' this is so they can 'keep tabs' on the children from an earlier age. Additionally, some of you may have children that participate in clubs development centres - such as Chelsea FC Foundation. This isn't the academy, its paid for by parents but allows clubs to keep an eye on players from other catchment areas.

    Saints are intriguing at the moment, a lot of the staff based at the satellite centre from Bath are now being hooked in to Staplewood in full time roles.
    Last edited by Monk; 20-09-2017 at 02:02 PM.

  28. #78

    Default

    Saints also getting a heavy presence in the South West.
    Got my 6 year old involved with Chivenor soccer academy which has led to a Southampton FC funded pre-academy in Bideford, North Devon. All coaches at both centres wear Saints latest Under Armour training gear, use Saints badge whilst kids all wear last years Under Armour gear. They obviously have very close links and sell themselves on kidss who made it to the academy.
    My other lad, 11 year old is involved with Saints SouthWest at a development centre, they have them in Taunton, Exeter & Plymouth. Their links don’t seem quite as close yet, Saints was only added to the franchise about 12 months ago (previously Arsenal) and they are not yet allowed to use Saints branded clothing (although the do play in generic red and whites stripes and the coaches have the latest Under Armour gear). The management have stated clearly that their aim is to grow close to Southampton FC and arrive at the same footing as previously mentioned Chivenor.

  29. #79

  30. #80

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    14,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Let's just say some of you aren't that far off when it comes to Chelsea and their academy recruitment. I have some horror stories. (amazing - literally news just broken on SSN of a FIFA probe around youth player transfers).

    Players can get snapped up as young as 8 (depending on the clubs category in the EPPP) most clubs now run a 'pre-academy' this is so they can 'keep tabs' on the children from an earlier age. Additionally, some of you may have children that participate in clubs development centres - such as Chelsea FC Foundation. This isn't the academy, its paid for by parents but allows clubs to keep an eye on players from other catchment areas.

    Saints are intriguing at the moment, a lot of the staff based at the satellite centre from Bath are now being hooked in to Staplewood in full time roles.
    mmmm...

    Chelsea and Manchester City investigated by Fifa over signing of youth players

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41338717

  31. #81

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broadwindsor, Dorset
    Posts
    1,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChudSaint View Post
    Saints also getting a heavy presence in the South West.
    Got my 6 year old involved with Chivenor soccer academy which has led to a Southampton FC funded pre-academy in Bideford, North Devon. All coaches at both centres wear Saints latest Under Armour training gear, use Saints badge whilst kids all wear last years Under Armour gear. They obviously have very close links and sell themselves on kidss who made it to the academy.
    My other lad, 11 year old is involved with Saints SouthWest at a development centre, they have them in Taunton, Exeter & Plymouth. Their links don’t seem quite as close yet, Saints was only added to the franchise about 12 months ago (previously Arsenal) and they are not yet allowed to use Saints branded clothing (although the do play in generic red and whites stripes and the coaches have the latest Under Armour gear). The management have stated clearly that their aim is to grow close to Southampton FC and arrive at the same footing as previously mentioned Chivenor.
    This is not one of those money making rackets where he kids have to purchase their own kit and pay hefty membership fees?

  32. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rooney View Post
    This is not one of those money making rackets where he kids have to purchase their own kit and pay hefty membership fees?
    That's the Junior Premier League - think grassroots football meets academy.

    Ugly entity.

  33. #83

    Default

    U23's won 0-1 vs WBA tonight. Sam McQueen pen.

    (I'm a little surprised Austin / Boufal / Hojbjerg didnt feature to get some minutes).

  34. #84

    Default

    Our youth teams have always, collectively, been bang average...When you consider the amount of talent it's produced over the years.

  35. #85

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,660
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Instant Classic View Post
    Our youth teams have always, collectively, been bang average...When you consider the amount of talent it's produced over the years.
    No they haven't. Youth Cup runners up, League Cup winners, used to be consistently top half of their league. Only in last 3 seasons the standards have plummeted, so that we are now not even average.

  36. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GGalpin View Post


    Oh man.

    I just love this guy.

    People's champion

  37. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    No they haven't. Youth Cup runners up, League Cup winners, used to be consistently top half of their league. Only in last 3 seasons the standards have plummeted, so that we are now not even average.
    That's not that much really, when you consider the quality of individual player we've produced.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •