Thread: Winter sun /Gambia

1. Default Winter sun /Gambia

My Mrs keeps mithering me about taking her away for some winter sun. Obviously it's a delicate balancing act because if I just agree she'll book something up that coincides with a decent game. Therefore I've taken charge of the arrangements so I can plan it around football.

Has anybody on here visited Gambia, and if so what's it like. I believe the weather is great Nov-March and the flights are pretty regular & not too far. If anybody has been I'd appreciate so feedback. Is it pretty safe, what's the food & drink like , price wise & standard, and would you recommend for a short break ?

Any other suggestions would be greatly received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Has anybody on here visited Gambia, and if so what's it like. Is it pretty safe, what's the food & drink like , price wise & standard, and would you recommend for a short break ?
    They aren't in the EU so I expect it will be effing amazing. Don't worry about it, I'm sure there aren't any downsides

Commuting between Never Never Land and a Pie in the Sky
    Blog Entries

Has had a dodgy reputation for sex tourism and alike: that may (or may not) be a turn off. Think a depraved Shirley Valentine. Would stay away from the beaches and go to the one of the parks or reserves if you're plumping for Gambia.
    Last edited by shurlock; 12-09-2017 at 04:35 PM.

4. Default

Got to be the beach for the Mrs, she's obsessed with sunbathing.

What's this sex tourism, is it desperate women after young fit African males, or something more pervy

Blog Entries

Got to be the beach for the Mrs, she's obsessed with sunbathing.

What's this sex tourism, is it desperate women after young fit African males, or something more pervy

That and more. If the mrs wants to sunbathe, have you considered Cape Verde, also in that parts of the woods. Have heard its v.nice (a former boss who worked at the African Development Bank, so travelled all over the continent, highly recommended it).
    Last edited by shurlock; 12-09-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Have been to Gambia. Quite cheap, guaranteed sun, outside the resorts very basic - it's a third world country.

But if you want a mixture of sun/relaxation and interesting days out (use Arch Tours, easily the best) eg into Senegal, it's interesting. I know people who go back again and again, but I probably won't.

You will encounter an unusual brand of sex tourism. There are many young men out there who service older visiting women. Also be prepared for plenty of hassle on the streets, mainly offering guide services, in practice touting for a shop or restaurant.

If you do go, take a supply of basic educational materials - pens, pencils. They're desperately short and all donations are welcome. A supply of sweets to throw to the hoards of kids who will chase your vehicle is also a good idea.

But don't be totally put off: it's an experience. And you can isolate yourself in a resort (at much greater cost) if you want.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

7. Default Winter sun /Gambia

Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    That and more. If the mrs wants to sunbathe, have you considered Cape Verde, also in that parts of the woods. Have heard its v.nice (a former boss who worked at the African Development Bank, so travelled all over the continent, highly recommended it).
    I've looked at Cape Verde but the flights aren't that flexible & they tend to be midweek to midweek. My son & his wife went & said it was windy as hell. There and Gambia do appeal because of the flight time, price and time zones. All she wants is sun, so don't want to spend loads and don't fancy Canaries as we've done that lots of times

If you want a resort, Kololi is the best option. Good range of hotels.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I've looked at Cape Verde but the flights aren't that flexible & they tend to be midweek to midweek. My son & his wife went & said it was windy as hell. There and Gambia do appeal because of the flight time, price and time zones. All she wants is sun, so don't want to spend loads and don't fancy Canaries as we've done that lots of times

Heard that can be the case. But depends which island you go to -some are much less exposed to the wind (i.e. Santiago) than others i.e. Sal), though aren’t as developed tourist-wise.

Maldives are nice in Feb if pricey!

I've been to Gambia countless times, on business (but not since the new President took over). And Cabo Verde. If you want to head in that direction, Dakar must be your destination of choice. Fantastic place, one of my favourite African cities.

Madeira is nice. Sunbathing is round the pool though. Not much in the way of beaches

A little island of red&white admidst a sea of blue

Quote Originally Posted by buctootim View Post
    Madeira is nice. Sunbathing is round the pool though. Not much in the way of beaches
    Don't send him there.

He will spontaneously com-bust when he sees that for every 8 square kilometers of the island, there is an EU funded tunnel.

We're talking about a staggering 6,920 EU spend per capita, on tunnels, that hardly anyone uses.

Maybe we should have a SWF funded "Post EU - The Way Forward" trip for both Remainers and Leavers to look at how well the EU "invests" our money???

Cape Verde?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bognor View Post
    Don't send him there.

He will spontaneously com-bust when he sees that for every 8 square kilometers of the island, there is an EU funded tunnel.

We're talking about a staggering €6,920 EU spend per capita, on tunnels, that hardly anyone uses.

Maybe we should have a SWF funded "Post EU - The Way Forward" trip for both Remainers and Leavers to look at how well the EU "invests" our money???
    Source?

Source?
    The number being bandied about is around €2 billion, although that is for all infrastructure projects, not just tunnels as I suggested earlier. So I will retract that.

However, a substantial part of this money was spent on motorway infrastructure (including tunnels).... motorways and tunnels which are mostly empty, as far as I could see when I was there. A bit like the EU funded marina that never has any boats in it...

In fact, if you are looking for autumn/winter sun AND want a graphic illustration of how the EU wastes money, Madeira is the perfect location lols

This is an interesting read... double the per capita national debt of Portugal, who themselves had to be bailed out
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ive-debts.html
    Last edited by Johnny Bognor; 13-09-2017 at 03:17 PM.

17. Default Winter sun /Gambia

Working in the public sector Mrs Duck is naturally a Remoaner, so I won't be discussing EU waste during our break. It'll only lead to an argument.

She wants early Dec, but I reckon Jan looks better fixture wise. Apart from Spurs they're not that attractive till Brighton on 31st.

Blog Entries

The number being bandied about is around €2 billion, although that is for all infrastructure projects, not just tunnels as I suggested earlier. So I will retract that.

However, a substantial part of this money was spent on motorway infrastructure (including tunnels).... motorways and tunnels which are mostly empty, as far as I could see when I was there. A bit like the EU funded marina that never has any boats in it...

In fact, if you are looking for autumn/winter sun AND want a graphic illustration of how the EU wastes money, Madeira is the perfect location lols

This is an interesting read... double the per capita national debt of Portugal, who themselves had to be bailed out
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ive-debts.html
    How did you get from €2bn to €6920 per head?

How did you get from €2bn to €6920 per head?
    Depends which population figure you use as there seems to be a few out there. €2,000,000,000 divided by 289,000 = €6,920???

Depends which population figure you use as there seems to be a few out there. €2,000,000,000 divided by 289,000 = €6,920???
    Even if accurate its not actually very much. Total UK debt (government, corporate and personal) is just over 10 trillion - around 153,000 per person