Club Crest: would you change it?

Monk

I know it's a bit childlike, but I actually like the crests to have a bit of colour. There's something quite fresh about our badge. It's possible that some tweaks could work, but as the badge has been fairly unchanged (save for the football 'head') since I started supporting Saints, it would be shame for me if it was suddenly 'streamlined to make the brand more globally appealing'. Just writing that sentence makes me feel a little queasy.

Not really.

Changing it actually removes it from the fans and becomes a much more ownable property for the club to control, that's why Arsenal and Chelsea and Everton (I wish we were Everton) have done it.

The Juve one just makes it look like a logo for a smartphone app, which I have no doubt was in the design agency's presentation when they suggested it and I am sure they were all high fiving themselves at how "iconic" it all is.

If that's genuinely what fans want us to follow then I'm out. Up there with let's get an all red kit for China.

Flicking through all the badges on that talksport link has made me appreciate just how different and good ours actually is.

I was a "no" to changing before I looked. Now I am a definite "never!!" :smug:

• Like 1

After a significant amount of time spent investigation trends in club crests, their association with Brand, and how that Brand engenders trust and loyalty, my considered opinion is that we should change it to a cock and balls.

Nah! Already been done, albeit with only one ball. Somehow that doesn't seem to reflect that club's current situation though...

On the basis that almost every new badge introduced is awful and/or unimaginative - with Stoke being an especially poor example and Leeds laughable - I say leave well alone. It pains me to say it, but Spurs have far and away the best badge as it manages to be simple, iconic and historic. The same applied to Arsenal until they ruined it..

Love the badge, it tells us we are The Saints, a (Premier League) football team in red and white near the New Forest and by the sea from Hampshire, we are Southampton FC.

Plus, I'd imagine quite a few people with tattoos of the badge wouldn't be too chuffed either :-)

On the basis that almost every new badge introduced is awful and/or unimaginative - with Stoke being an especially poor example and Leeds laughable - I say leave well alone. It pains me to say it, but Spurs have far and away the best badge as it manages to be simple, iconic and historic. The same applied to Arsenal until they ruined it..
The Spurs one is good, and I think the new Palace badge is excellent.

A decent new badge can be done, but I'm not really that fussed if we don't change it.

Leave it alone please.

It is quite distinctive and can be spotted at quite a distance away.

I still cringe when I see those soppy gold and silve efforts from Cortese era and at the mono colour ones they have on some of this seasons polo's etc.

Love that description above .... "OK, so Southampton’’s badge is totally ridiculous, but you can’t help but kind of love it. Why does that cartoon football have a halo? Why is that tree planted in the sea? **** knows, but I’m having a lot of fun looking at it"

Shame we can't get as much amusement and entertainment on the pitch!!

Love the badge, it tells us we are The Saints, a (Premier League) football team in red and white near the New Forest and by the sea from Hampshire, we are Southampton FC.

Plus, I'd imagine quite a few people with tattoos of the badge wouldn't be too chuffed either :-)

I know a couple of older Saints fans who have both the old crest (that never appeared on a Saints shirt) and the 70s one as tattoos, and also one that had the old 'rose' crest and later added a scarf, ball and halo to it, very unique! There's football fans all over the country with out of date tatts but probably doesn't worry them as it's just of an era.

I'm with the 'not keen on the badge' gang.

Not really, as it came into existence 89 years after the formation of the club!
This coming from the man that argued that Cortese's all-red kit could not be dismissed as not traditional because all traditions had to start somewhere and we might wear that strip for the next twenty years.

I really like our current crest. I like that it was designed by a fan, I like how instantly recognisable it is and I like the fact there's no other crest that shares the same basic shape as ours (that I know of). If it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say.

This.

Don't change it.

And didn't it win a cross-fan poll or something for a newspaper? I seem to remember a thread on that a while ago...