Club Crest: would you change it?

Monk

I still cringe when I see those soppy gold and silve efforts from Cortese era and at the mono colour ones they have on some of this seasons polo's etc.

This. I'm struggling to comprehend what substance the person who signed these off was on at the time....

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2u9wqoTDk2deRIEs7MJJuankjI54qWmLsJe9yIBVjinc3AaPXbA-EOxSFfnZ2dUC-GdG3i4SV&usqp=CAEshopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcR04Ah2rtJHnva385bJPH-IBj1Nue3bYo7ZFBDl_bxCpvAioY6-q36tXZ3VnemeGKR5ux_yqaQ&usqp=CAE

It ain't broke, instantly recognisable by non Saints fans, have Coca Cola changed their branding, err nope, so why change ours.

Its been our badge for over 40 years, the fact that it doesnt look dated for something out of the 70's is pretty impressive, the biggest change its seen, apart from the ball, has been the replacing the ball for the 125th Anniversary season, if it was ever under threat of being changed it would have happened under Lowe or Cortese, but even they know its a dangerous path to take where established brand recognition is concerned.......... Actually Lowe might have been around when we had that attempt at making the Saints badge a haloed stick man and the words The Saints. Think that nearly had everyone matching on the Dell with lit flaming torches and pitchforks.

Anyone getting emotional and thinking its old fashioned and naff etc go and support another team please.

This. I'm struggling to comprehend what substance the person who signed these off was on at the time....

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2u9wqoTDk2deRIEs7MJJuankjI54qWmLsJe9yIBVjinc3AaPXbA-EOxSFfnZ2dUC-GdG3i4SV&usqp=CAEshopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcR04Ah2rtJHnva385bJPH-IBj1Nue3bYo7ZFBDl_bxCpvAioY6-q36tXZ3VnemeGKR5ux_yqaQ&usqp=CAE

They actually look like something the half and half scarf sellers would have "round the back Sir" for the more discerning customer. Just looks badly coloured in using a felt pen where the nip has gone all bushy.

Glad it wasn't just me who looked at them without even a nano seconds thought to buying one................................ I guess they need something to put in the Sale! :D

Of course the badge needs updating! It is tired and dated and simply reflects a long ago era. We need a modern and streamlined image to represent our progressive club. Simple is usually most effective (think Nike tick) and we should trade on our brilliant nickname and have a badge to show we are the Saints, maybe just a stylized halo. This would be such a better look for the club, and trust me you would all love it in a week!

If all else fails I would probably support going back to the city's crest as next best option and as a last resort if we can't get the current one binned then it is not negotiable that the dreadful ball and scarf have to go. The shield portion could stay but it does look more like a travelogue of southern Hampshire than a representation of a football club. Far better to drag this facet of the club kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Oh, and in terms of a motto does anybody know what the Latin is for "We never score"?

I have long thought that we should bring back the city shield either as the crest or an integral part. It was used on alot of club materials but never on the actual shirt.

The problem is IMO most of the mock ups look **** and I quite like the current badge and would hate to end up with an abomination.

I like the way this one is going with the round surround similar to FA cup final shirt, however needs full shield with 2 red roses IMO.

fbfd57fe7a73f3f2be933f500287bfe2.jpg

I quite like that if they changed the tree for a ship/galleon. Southampton is more famous for its docks, since medieval times, than just about anything else, it should be reflected in the crest imo.

Oi leave the tree alone the new forest is the only forest mentioned with any detail in the doomsday book , the water represents our maritime link !

Oi leave the tree alone the new forest is the only forest mentioned with any detail in the doomsday book , the water represents our maritime link !

Can't agree simo, Southampton FC and its badge represents my city, what has the New Forest got to do with it? Maybe we should include nods to Winchester to the north, and from the east, plucky little pom...............nah. We've built ships, repaired 'em, filled and offloaded 'em for centuries, that's what made Southampton the city it is.

New badge it is then :p

Of course the badge needs updating! It is tired and dated and simply reflects a long ago era. We need a modern and streamlined image to represent our progressive club. Simple is usually most effective (think Nike tick) and we should trade on our brilliant nickname and have a badge to show we are the Saints, maybe just a stylized halo. This would be such a better look for the club, and trust me you would all love it in a week!

If all else fails I would probably support going back to the city's crest as next best option and as a last resort if we can't get the current one binned then it is not negotiable that the dreadful ball and scarf have to go. The shield portion could stay but it does look more like a travelogue of southern Hampshire than a representation of a football club. Far better to drag this facet of the club kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Oh, and in terms of a motto does anybody know what the Latin is for "We never score"?

Are you American?

It has been our badge for 43 years out of 132 years = 32%

That isn't traditional, especially as it is the most recent 43 years.

Using that analogy we are not a traditional top flight club (only 40 years). Most of all of our life times, we have been a top flight club and have had the current crest. That's tradition enough for me!!

It has been our badge for 43 years out of 132 years = 32%

That isn't traditional, especially as it is the most recent 43 years.

If MLG had posted that under a different pseudonym, would anyone have been in the slightest doubt about who had actually posted it?

100%. I think ours has always been a little cartoony. Also think most clubs need a revamp now with the amount of use of social media, phones etc.

People mocked the simplicity of Juventus' new badge but think it actually works really well and looks modern.

Think the days of a scarf and football on the badge should be over.

No way love it.

I think our badge is distinctive. Yeh, it is a bit childish in design but it's instantly recognisable. Take out the colour and type, it's still instantly recognisable because of the unique shape. It's not like we're stuck with one of those generic "crests" or a typical circle/shield shape. We should be proud of ours.

Brands are about recognition and that's why Juventus are right up there with their new design. They took the "J" of their historical kit and made something unique and quite impressive. The fact it stood out as being truly modern, minimalist and well designed sets it apart. Quite similar to our "once modern" Saints crest.

Yes. This one has been tarnished and rendered meaningless by all those players who used to kiss the bloody thing every time they scored a goal and then buggered off at the drop of a hat to the highest bidder. New era now so new untarnished badge please.

At least as we can't score goals any more no bugger needs to kiss it!

I like the current badge.

The round one above is the only redesign attempt I've ever remotely considered to be a viable alternative - and even with that one the tree looks absolute shat.

As for the horrific training kit, there's a reason they've knocked 20% off the price already - I haven't seen a single supporter wearing any of it even on match day, still loads of last season's stuff around though.

Yes. This one has been tarnished and rendered meaningless by all those players who used to kiss the bloody thing every time they scored a goal and then buggered off at the drop of a hat to the highest bidder. New era now so new untarnished badge please.

At least as we can't score goals any more no bugger needs to kiss it!

That's a bad reason. Football is like that now. You'd need a new badge every couple of seasons!