• Lemina
    • Davis
    • Tadić
    • Redmond
    • Long
    • Ward-Prowse
    • van Dijk
    • Gabbiadini

Hardly a classic but I'll take it. Lemon and Hoot the two main positives for me. Redmond was generally poor and slowed us down. Tadic better, Long was a 'nuisance' but never really looked like getting us a goal. Davis scuffed that shot, I don't care what anyone says.

Had we beaten Watford we'd be top right now, for the first time since I don't know when.

Basically this.

For me -

Forster was solid, hopefully we'll see more of that, he seemed sharper and more confident coming for the ball.

Bertrand was also solid, still don't think he's quite at his level yet but getting there.

Yoshida and Hoedt did well, Hoedts passing and general composure was very impressive, a VVD and Hoedt back two will be very strong.

Cedric I thought was very good again, he's the new Albert Ferrer for me, just gives you a 7 every game and is very consistent. Needs to be a bit more decisive in and around the box.

Romeu, not his best game, seemed to slip, and get caught out a few times but he did his job well and there was obviously a plan for him to help out Yoshida with Benteke.

Lemina was a class above anyone in the game, looked exactly like a player who has won two titles and played in a Champs league final.

Davis, was basically his usual self but good to see him getting forward more, worked hard, harrased and linked well.

Redmond was the most disappointing player on the pitch for me. Slows play down too much, seems to need too much time and goes inside too much. Maybe it's just confidence but either way needs to make way IMO.

Tadic, better than he has been recently, we scored the goal because he beat his man on the outside and he doesn't try this enough.

Long, worked his arse off, chased down everything but doesn't look like a goal threat to me, it's a quandry we have 3 striker who all bring different things. I wonder had Austin been fit if he'd started.

Overall attacking wise we just need to be sharper and quicker in our play, we had a good two/three counter attacks today where we just allowed Palace to get back in. But defensively and work/rate attitude wise we looked much better. Good to see the team closing down higher up and winning the ball back higher up.

Edited by tajjuk

Better performance today and with better organisation throughout. Palace were gash though so we're face tougher tests. Defensively pretty sound but still issues from an attacking sense. Long put himself about but still lacked support. Our central midfield two were immense and I may not be a les reed fan but he's found a potential gem in lemina. A wins a win but let's see what happens next weekend.

Just on the way back. Good, battling performance and a deserved win.

Lemina obviously class but lots of good performances today, including Romeu, Yoshida and Forster.

Still not clicking going forward. Long was a good outlet today but we wouldn't be able to do the same at home versus teams that sit back.

Tadic, who often gets stick, was good and lonked well with Cedric.

Good also to get VVD playing. He is here for now so we might as well play him.

Lemina outstanding.The midfield aggression has arrived.I don't think he lost a tackle all game.Long is my favourite 'nuisance player' and on another day would have scored a couple but the effing Ref saw put to that. 1-0 ain't much of a revival but three points are three points.Good to see VVD back but he looked a little rusty.Its made my day to see Woy ****ed off.

Edited by hasper57saint
Misspelling

Let's not kid ourselves, we are still powder puff going forward and against someone less dismal than Palace we'd have had a very tough afternoon.

That said, it's 3 very welcome points, we scored from open play, kept a clean sheet and Lemina + Hoedt looked good.

Still got a lot of work to do on our goalscoring but it's something to build on. Way better than last week.

Lemina outstanding.The midfield aggression has arrived.I don't think he lost a tackle all game.Long is my favourite 'nuisance player' and on another day would have scored a couple but the effing Ref saw put to that. 1-0 ain't much of a revival but three points are three points.Good to see VVD back but he looked a little rusty.Its made my day to see Woy ****ed off.

Made my day to see that coward p*ssed off as well.

Lemina was awesome, and also very impressed with Hoedt who played some fantastic passes and looked solid and composed defensively.

Today also showed the value of playing Davis in the advanced midfield role, his movement and link up play in the first half was outstanding. Overall a good team performance, shame we couldn't put the game to bed during the second half tho.

Just read this piece

SOUTHAMPTON’S MIDFIELD TRIO SHINES

When observers pause to consider which are the best midfields in the Premier League – Chelsea, Tottenham, Manchester United, and Man City will likely appear in some order at the top of every list, and rightly so. After that, however, Southampton’s trio of Steven Davis, Mario Lemina, and Oriol Romeu have a reasonable claim to being the next best.

An insipid Palace side is admittedly not the best measuring stick, and the Saints did lose their previous game 2-0 at home to Watford, but on Saturday the Davis-Lemina-Romeu axis bossed the game, with Davis adding the icing on the cake with his goal.

Lemina, Southampton’s record signing, is still getting used to a new league and new team-mates, but his understanding with the two players beside him will only get better – and as it does, so will Southampton.

http://www.bing.com/news/apiclick.aspx?ref=BDIGeneric&aid=C98EA5B0842DBB9405BBF071E1DA7651530FFE51&tid=4B5CDFC797BB4C38AAFC2EA9F1DFE480&url=http%3a%2f%2fsport360.com%2farticle%2ffootball%2fenglish-premier-league%2f248613%2froy-hodgsons-appointment-makes-no-difference-and-other-talking-points-as-crystal-palace-lose-to-southampton-1-0%2f&c=11608444429043663022&mkt=en-gb

Just read this piece

SOUTHAMPTON’S MIDFIELD TRIO SHINES

When observers pause to consider which are the best midfields in the Premier League – Chelsea, Tottenham, Manchester United, and Man City will likely appear in some order at the top of every list, and rightly so. After that, however, Southampton’s trio of Steven Davis, Mario Lemina, and Oriol Romeu have a reasonable claim to being the next best.

An insipid Palace side is admittedly not the best measuring stick, and the Saints did lose their previous game 2-0 at home to Watford, but on Saturday the Davis-Lemina-Romeu axis bossed the game, with Davis adding the icing on the cake with his goal.

Lemina, Southampton’s record signing, is still getting used to a new league and new team-mates, but his understanding with the two players beside him will only get better – and as it does, so will Southampton.

http://www.bing.com/news/apiclick.aspx?ref=BDIGeneric&aid=C98EA5B0842DBB9405BBF071E1DA7651530FFE51&tid=4B5CDFC797BB4C38AAFC2EA9F1DFE480&url=http%3a%2f%2fsport360.com%2farticle%2ffootball%2fenglish-premier-league%2f248613%2froy-hodgsons-appointment-makes-no-difference-and-other-talking-points-as-crystal-palace-lose-to-southampton-1-0%2f&c=11608444429043663022&mkt=en-gb

We were talking about how well those three played walking away from the ground. Lemina was the stand out player but the other two were excellent too.

We were talking about how well those three played walking away from the ground. Lemina was the stand out player but the other two were excellent too.

Hoedt is showing promise. If he forms a solid partnership with his compatriot Virgil, how many PL teams will have a stronger back four? Add the back four to the midfield three and then how many will match that? I still see us being weak in goal and misfiring up front though, unless we manage to hit upon the right formula.

Lemina was outstanding, keep that up all season and he'll be refusing to play next season.

Seriously, better performance than last week but still some flaws that need sorting for when we start playing the better sides as Palace were p@ss poor, I think Man U will come too soon for us to seriously trouble them.

There you go Ottawa, can you handle the truth?.

Incredible how quiet this place is after a win. We'd be on 12 pages by now if we'd lost.
It's not incredible is it really. As pointed out a number of times, much more controversy and things to talk about after a loss than a win. There's only so many times everyone can agree that it was a good three points and a positive performance.

Hoedt is showing promise. If he forms a solid partnership with his compatriot Virgil, how many PL teams will have a stronger back four? Add the back four to the midfield three and then how many will match that? I still see us being weak in goal and misfiring up front though, unless we manage to hit upon the right formula.

I'd say it was a strong back 4, midfield 2 and striker (Gabbi). This gives us 7/11 of a very good team.

Unfortunately:

a) The other 4, no matter who we chose, are always likely to be suspect.

b) 7 and 11 are both prime numbers and I am unable to simplify this fraction, or express it as an integer as a percentage.

That was a pretty perfect away day performance, wouldn't say it was a batten down the hatches job and come away with the win, we were in control for 70% of that game. Would have been a travesty had we not won it.

Good call to play Long in my opinion, he did exactly what you'd expect him to do. Commit defenders, make them uncomfortable, force them into poor clearances etc. He's obviously not the most sparkling footballer, but he guarantees being a pest to the opposition and that's why he'd be in my side more often than not - his running and harrying will create openings and space for our more talented players.

That is the role Davis should be playing, I hate seeing him as part of a central two - as an attacking midfielder as part of the 3 he is so reliable, good in possession, good in tight spots, and times his runs into the box well when he's advanced.

As poor as the midfield was last weekend, it was a different animal this week - Lemina made the difference. I wouldn't say Romeu had one of his better games, he was a little sloppy, but Lemina just looks a level above everyone else - he was given acres of space to do what he wanted, but even when Palace did attempt to close him...he still got out of it very impressively. He seems to know when the keep it simple and when to try a switch, very intelligent player and full of energy and power - a proper box to box midfielder who is absolutely perfect for this league - exactly the type of player we needed in alongside Romeu last season. We've gone back to having a strong 'two' in front of the back 4 again, it will take a lot of effort for teams to play through us.

Defensively we were sound, not troubled a great deal. Impressed by Hoedt, more so his distribution than any defensive masterclass - although as expected, he towers above most players in the air. His left peg is an absolute wand, some of his switches were brilliant, and having someone in the team with the ability to do that is going to enable us to get up the field so much quicker.

I'd say our two big signings this summer - Lemina and Hoedt, have both lifted the level of the team in their respective positions. They've filled gaps we needed filling and enhanced our first team, not just the squad.

Luckily it seems as if last weeks effort against Watford was a bad day at the office, as apart from last week I think we've been pretty solid this season. Still improvements to be made in the final third and the decision making from the likes of Redmond etc, but the base of this team is now very, very strong - if we can continue to base around that and build on that, we will do fine this year.

Really pleased for everyone, fans, players and MP. Yes three points are important but above all I think we needed to see a return of a clear tactical plan and pattern of play and today delivered on that for me.

Having (deservedly) been subject to much criticism for recent performances MP made good decisions today. Lamina makes a big difference, imaginative to include Long who opened up space for others and basically inspires people with his workate. And a good bit of tactical and man management to bring on VVD for the last few minutes I thought to help deal with balls into our box but also feel part of a happy day. Cute.

Credit to Tadic for his workrate, and hopefully we have seen the return to the position that Davis has caused so many teams problems under RK and Poch which is as a number 10 making things happen up the field. He is not a holding midfielder.

It's not incredible is it really. As pointed out a number of times, much more controversy and things to talk about after a loss than a win. There's only so many times everyone can agree that it was a good three points and a positive performance.

Exactly

People should count the number of posters contributing to a thread, rather than the number of posts or pages. There's more arguments, & discussions when we lose. Why do people insist on thinking that others are quiet because we won, the implication being they're happier when we lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see it, or hear commentary, so I don't know, but was it rusty or lack of motivation - did he look like he wanted to be there?

Within seconds of entering the field he was stood with his arms out directing and instructing, don't imagine that's the sign of a player who can't be arsed. The guy's a natural leader, did miss a couple of headers that i'd have expected him to win but i'd imagine that can be credited to a lack of sharpness.

Agreed. If we can pick up a few wins while MP works on our attacking threat then big bonus.

In Ravello (Italy, Amalfi coast) for the week so couldn't watch the game. Will enjoy a few beers in the square and sun now to celebrate.

Wins breed confidence. 8 points from our first 5 (winnable games) was my minimum expectation.

COYS

:badger: :badger: :badger:

Maybe you should go away (or play golf) more often when we play. We often seem to do well when you don't make an appearance on the match thread. Or maybe that's just a coincidence... ;)

Exactly

People should count the number of posters contributing to a thread, rather than the number of posts or pages. There's more arguments, & discussions when we lose. Why do people insist on thinking that others are quiet because we won, the implication being they're happier when we lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to post more when we're winning / have won, whereas some people do the reverse. Each to their own I guess...

If you say so.

I think there is plenty to discuss. Lemina, Tadic, VVD, Long, Redmond, formation changes etc.

Post match views afetr numerous beers .... Lemina by far abd away best player on the pitch ... keep taht up and Player of The Season nailed on!!

Equally important though were Forster's saves ... a couple of brilliant saves meant 3 rather than 0 or 1 points today.

Long ran his legs off, would love to see him, with Gabbi alongside running defenses ragged with oace.

Glad we played Long up front, at least makes things happen and doesn't give opposition defences an easy shift. But still not the long term option and I still think we struggled to create much against weak opponents.

Lemina looked excellent.

Hoedt's passing excellent.

Thought Redmond regularly wasteful.

Overall, a good win, hopefully some confidence and momentum, but up against a very poor (record breakingly poor) Palace team.

And how so many fans can sing VVD's name I'll never know.

I'd say it was a strong back 4, midfield 2 and striker (Gabbi). This gives us 7/11 of a very good team.

Unfortunately:

a) The other 4, no matter who we chose, are always likely to be suspect.

b) 7 and 11 are both prime numbers and I am unable to simplify this fraction, or express it as an integer as a percentage.

How about a logo?

7-11-logo.png

Obviously Lemina was a stand out and on the whole a much improved team performance, albeit against a poor side, but special mention to Long. With him spearheading the attack we are able to move forward with more pace and his hold up play was excellent. Whilst he has obvious deficiencies in his game (goal scoring being one of them, as well as his tendency to get caught offside) I felt the attack looked much more balanced than in previous games.

Incredible how quiet this place is after a win. We'd be on 12 pages by now if we'd lost.

I think that more people post when Saints lose because they really care about the team. They are very upset and so give their

ideas about what they think went wrong and how matters should be improved.

However when Saints win everything is great in their world and so they don't feel the same compulsion to post using the theory

of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Watched the whole game here in Oz, and now the re-run. We were heaps better than last week. We were better than Palace. We were also lucky to win, as the two saves Forster made were crucial, and other than the goal, there keeper never had to make any 'worldly' saves.We have some very good players now, but seems like only nine turn up on matchdays. I cannot warm to either Tadic or Redman, and a 3 at the back would mean they could be dropped without penalty.

A good win, but lets not kid ourselves, it was not an easy win, and that against the bottom club.

Lemina certainly makes a big difference, takes the pressure off Romeu, think the longer those two play together the better they will become as a partnership: always said that you can see Romeus education in football, but seems to have been playing right on the edge recently due to the way we're set up and the personnel on the pitch.

Todays game highlighted the wastefulness in ball retention of both Tadic (yes he actually had a shot that Davis benefitted from the keeper parry) and in particular Redmond!!! Yes Redmond fizzed in a couple of shots, but the dithering needless second touch on two occasions one to make Long offside when one touch would have seen Long with just the keeper to beat, the other when Lemina pinged one over to him dithered in the box and was closed down. But both of them guilty of woeful ball retention, it's like playing with 9 men at times they concede the ball so cheaply. Said before that Redmond has no anticipation just reaction 10 yards away from he should be reacting, Tadic for all his look at me greatness, also lacks anticipation the amount of times he easily beaten to winning the ball is pretty poor, he is another one with reaction rather than anticipation, only he is reacting 5 yards away from where he should be, by comparison to Redmond.

Once again Mr Reliable Steven Davis was a busy Bee all over the pitch, the complete opposite to the Redmond and Tadic show, just reading the game breaking stuff up even when he was beaten. Read on the BBC that he ran further than anyone else on the pitch at 12 kilometres. Great to celebrate his 200th appearance with what turned out to be the winning goal, especially against Hodgson, who cast Steven out at Fulham as surplus to requirements. He has to be the best £750,000 Saints have ever spent.

Finally what have Saints and Shane Long done to upset referee Bobby Madley? Chelsea season before last books Mane for simulation when he was fouled, Last season at Arsenal ignores that Shane Long is fouled by the corner flag at the Arsenal end, ignores Kolchelny (?) is offside interfering with play in the 6 yard box laying injured and gives a penalty that has Giroud turning round to Fonte asking "who gave that away?". Then today books Long for him asking about the umpteenth foul committed against him not given......... then adds 5 minutes of injury time and plays 6. We must have submitted a $hïtTŷ report on him once.