Change of Formation

Saint_clark

With Van Dijk coming on late V Palace it's looking possible that we are going to be switching to three at the back - OK it didn't work V Wolves, but I have a feeling it's the formation our players are best suited to, and here are some of the reasons.

• We have four centrebacks who are all capable of being starters for a top half team.
  • Bertrand and Cedric would be freed up to push further forward more often, which would benefit our attacking play because...
  • Our current first choice wingers/wide players - Redmond and Tadic - haven't been in great form for us so far.
  • It means being able to play two strikers at a time, which is what Gabbiadini needs. He doesn't suit playing on his own as he doesn't win headers, hold the ball up or run the channels very well. He is a fantastic finisher though and so if we can get him involved, we should - alongside Long (great in the air, runs the channels well) or Austin (good in the air, holds the ball up very well).
  • It gives Lemina and Romeu more license to run forward knowing there is ample cover behind them, adding another dimension to our attack.

Thoughts? I know people might be put off after the Wolves game, but I also remember it working very well for us under Koeman for a bit.

1627437_Southampton.jpg

With Van Dijk coming on late V Palace it's looking possible that we are going to be switching to three at the back - OK it didn't work V Wolves, but I have a feeling it's the formation our players are best suited to, and here are some of the reasons.

• We have four centrebacks who are all capable of being starters for a top half team.
  • Bertrand and Cedric would be freed up to push further forward more often, which would benefit our attacking play because...
  • Our current first choice wingers/wide players - Redmond and Tadic - haven't been in great form for us so far.
  • It means being able to play two strikers at a time, which is what Gabbiadini needs. He doesn't suit playing on his own as he doesn't win headers, hold the ball up or run the channels very well. He is a fantastic finisher though and so if we can get him involved, we should - alongside Long (great in the air, runs the channels well) or Austin (good in the air, holds the ball up very well).
  • It gives Lemina and Romeu more license to run forward knowing there is ample cover behind them, adding another dimension to our attack.

Thoughts? I know people might be put off after the Wolves game, but I also remember it working very well for us under Koeman for a bit.

1627437_Southampton.jpg

We have lost one PL game this season and may not have lost to Watford if Yoshi and Lemina played we are always poor after the International Break it seems

Why not just stick with the formation and see what happen?

We have lost one PL game this season and may not have lost to Watford if Yoshi and Lemina played we are always poor after the International Break it seems

Why not just stick with the formation and see what happen?

Because we're still not quite clicking in an attacking sense. Why wait when you can be proactive and change something to potentially play better?

I'm not convinced Bertrand and Cedric would be that much more attacking as wing-backs than as full backs.

I think 3 at the back behind Romeu, Lemina and Davis will just add one more defensive player which I don't think we need.

McQueen would be a good left wing back, but no point dropping Bertrand.

1627437_Southampton.jpg

Plus VVD, Stephens and Hoedt are all very comfortable at stepping out with the ball which would allow them to drop into the DM position when we have the ball.

Yes take away Remond. He is a liability. He could have costed us points. He lost balls very often. When he got the ball, yoshida knew he needed to go back to defence. He slowed down the attack by holding up the ball aimlessly instead of passing it to Long at once. He shot directly to the goalkeeper, still believing he was the only striker saviour. He was too stupid to read the game. He was just a headless chicken running around. Hopeless.

My favourite formation. Allows numbers in defence and still have 2 up front. I too think it's the one to get the best from our current 11.

I agree. It gets 2 up front without being out numbered in midfield. Long & Gabbi look a decent pairing to me. Although I'm a fan of the system I'm not a fan of switching during the season and our back 4 isn't really our issue, so why risk it. If we want 2 up top, an old fashioned 4-4-2 can work provided Long works hard defensively ( the role Okazaki played for Leicester) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk