Redmond

9-3

Has he stepped up to the mark!

Not for me.

Just looks a good championship player thats all.

For me Tadic, the same.

your user name makes me think you are a long time fan, sadly with all those years of supporting, it seems to have dulled your judgement. Or perhaps you never had any in the first place. I recall the heated debates I had with fans when MLT was first in the team as being a luxury player. Again, Redmond will become a top player for us and whilst he frustrates he causes the opposition problems

Again, Redmond will become a top player for us and whilst he frustrates he causes the opposition problems

He wont become a top player for us, he just isn't that good. He has never looked anything special, either here or at Norwich. A decent squad player to have but we aren't going to be pushing for a top 8 finish with players like Redmond starting every game.

Not in form at the moment, I think lacking confidence (all our forward players seem to be) seems to want an extra touch and plays a bit too safe and slow at times.

Would like to see Simms challenging for his spot, but really we need an upgrade or at least try to find an upgrade on Redmond and Tadic as they have been below par for a good 6 months now. We need someone who is pacey and decent technically, a true Mane replacement really.

To be honest we need what Liverpool have, pace, technical front players like Mane and Salah, we found a player like Mane before and Chelsea found Salah before so the players are out there somewhere at lesser clubs.

If you melded our back 6 with Liverpool's front 4 that team would win the league hands down IMO.

Edited by tajjuk

Not in form at the moment, I think lacking confidence (all our forward players seem to be) seems to want an extra touch and plays a bit too safe and slow at times.

Would like to see Simms challenging for his spot, but really we need an upgrade or at least try to find an upgrade on Redmond and Tadic as they have been below par for a good 6 months now. We need someone who is pacey and decent technically, a true Mane replacement really.

To be honest we need what Liverpool have, pace, technical front players like Mane and Salah, we found a player like Mane before and Chelsea found Salah before so the players are out there somewhere at lesser clubs.

If you melded our back 6 with Liverpool's front 4 that team would win the league hands down IMO.

we used to have Mane and there were similar posts about him lol

I am not Redmonds biggest fan but he did really well last season from Dec/Jan until April, had a good spell and if I remember right he did the same at Norwich, I think with Redmond talent is there but he's too inconsistent and thinks he's better then what he is, sadly Tadic Boufal are also too inconsistent, his pace keeps him in the team as Tadic, Davis and JWP do not have that rapid pace.

He wont become a top player for us, he just isn't that good. He has never looked anything special, either here or at Norwich. A decent squad player to have but we aren't going to be pushing for a top 8 finish with players like Redmond starting every game.

Even though we did last year and currently are this year?

Even though we did last year and currently are this year?

Correct. Our points tally last year would have put us 12-13th normally and our goals for column (Redmond's job) would have pretty much got us relegated. A few goals either way on the last day and we could have finished about 16th last year.

Redmond isn't quick. According to that spreadsheet of player data that appeared in the Hoedt video, his max speed is actually slower than JWP's, while his individual sprints are no faster than Tadic's. While it's nice to have data to back this up, the truth of whether he's fast or not should really have been apparent to anyone who has seen Redmond being reeled in time and again when attacking on the break. He has no sustained pace, which is why he generally always slows after about twenty yards and plays the ball back.

He's a good player for me but frustratingly inconsistent. Thing is for him a lot of our attacks go through him; when he's good he looks great, when he's not on it he looks awful.

If he wasn't the star man in that attack and had one or two other players who were the main guys, with him chipping 7-8 goals a season to support them, I think he'd be regarded better, but because he's one of the few decent attackers we have he looks worse. He seems to be one of those players who become better with better players around him, rather than being the big fish in a smaller pond.

Don't see much potential in him really. Can beat a man but he's a million miles from Mane even when he first joined. Redmond put us in real trouble a couple of times yesterday carelessly losing the ball and Palace should have scored. Attack wise, he just doesn't make decisions quick enough. The one time he worked space for a shot, it was a really tame shot.

He's an ok squad player, happy to see him coming on as a sub but I'd rather start Tadic and Long either side of Gabbiadini, they'll offer more.

Well if that's the criteria most players are going to be a bit crap...

I believe he has all of the attributes to be a very good premier league player. For whatever reason, he isn't performing at the minute. He's in the team as he is the only real player (bar the fullbacks) who offers any pace or who is direct and prepared to run at people. Thing is, for whatever reason (confidence?) he isn't being direct at the moment, he is dithering and playing it safe a lot. That touch when Lemina set him up late in the box on Saturday sums it up, an on-form player full of confidence smashes that home. He took a heavy touch, tried to settle himself and got tackled. I'd like him to see him give a rest of a bit and allowed to come on against a tired defence as a sub, to see if he can get some confidence back.

If he has to play, at least put him and Tadic as outside forwards (I.e. Tadic Left / Redmond Right). They are pointless playing on the other wing as neither can shoot or seemingly even wants to cut in and shoot. They just slow things up and knock it back to someone behind them.

Redmond reminds me of an over-excited todler who runs into a room, stops suddenly, forgets what he was doing and then just sits on the floor.

Thats a pretty good summing up. He tends to get himself into a good position but then hasn't got the first clue what to do next most of the time.

He must look brilliant in training because he's really not doing much at the moment on the pitch.

Has to start showing more for me, he's had "potential" for years now. has shown in flashes what he could be - Liverpool away in the cup last season was great I thought - but lots of players have one off good games.

A consistent improvement required from him over next few months - hopefully as we settle into season that will happen although not convinced of that right now.

People saying that him (and Tadic) are championship players due to lack of consistency is utter rubbish though. they'd tear the championship apart. If they were consistently good they be playing for a top 6 side - they aren't so they are playing for a mid table side instead

He is one of our few players who is willing to get the ball and run with it. He wants to try and get forward, to be positive and to create something. Sadly, his decision making (e.g. when and where to release the ball, rather than try to do too much alone) lets him down and his first touch can be heavy at times. Both of those problems can be fixed with coaching and guidance... do we have a good attacking coach, though?

Far too few players want to get the ball and get forward quickly. It doesn't always come off with Redmond and he does it often, so stands out, but to criticise him for it is short-sighted as the rest of the team are too comfortable going sideways and keeping the ball.

What kind of logic is this? Some idiots criticised Mane so therefore all other players will be as good as Mane?

From simple observation Mane was streets ahead of Redmond from day 1.

Agree. For the sake of balance, we had similar post about Romain Gasmi when we signed him. They were, of course, correct.

He needs some time out of the spotlight for me, doesn't look right (maybe a confidence thing) so drop him down to the bench for a few games. He just isn't taking players on the same way he was last season.

I do wish we'd play him on the right and Tadic on the left to try and get them crossing with their stronger feet...

You've got to love this place.

He's 23 - probably 5 years off the peak of his powers and has a lot of very positive attributes.

Will he ever be Messi or Ronaldo? Probably not. Could he progress to be a Saleh or an Eriksson, maybe.

The main criticism seems to be that he isn't Mane. Which is ridiculous.

We are a top half team who occasionally unearth gems, but who by and large have top half players. Of which Redmond is one. And well worth the £10m we paid for him. Bournemouth paid £15m for Jordan Ibe FFS.

He's 23 - probably 5 years off the peak of his powers and has a lot of very positive attributes.

Will he ever be Messi or Ronaldo? Probably not. Could he progress to be a Saleh or an Eriksson, maybe.

We are a top half team who occasionally unearth gems, but who by and large have top half players. Of which Redmond is one. And well worth the £10m we paid for him. Bournemouth paid £15m for Jordan Ibe FFS.

I agree, although he is now the same age Mane was in his second season with us so it's not entirely unfair to compare them.

However just because he has a few years to develop yet doesn't mean he should be immune to criticism and I still maintain that dropping him for a few games would benefit him.

Eriksen is less than two years older than Redmond. They're not in the same league. I expect Redmond to improve but it's perfectly valid for fans to question why he starts every week if we're still waiting for him to make the step up. The price doesn't particularly matter.

Redmond is indeed a top half player, but only just. We need to aspire to the higher standard which we've reached consistently for a few years. No one's expecting another Mane but another 2013/14 Rodriguez is not unreasonable!

Edited by DuncanRG