Redmond

9-3

Redmond is a talented player regardless of Puel’s opinion re Henry and should be starting every week. He has pace and ability which the team lacks except at full back and needs our support. Get behind him he’s vital to our survival.

If Redmond is vital to our survival then we are ****ed.

Redmond is a talented player regardless of Puel’s opinion re Henry and should be starting every week. He has pace and ability which the team lacks except at full back and needs our support. Get behind him he’s vital to our survival.

Exactly, sadly he isn’t being played in the right position.

Puel screwed him from the start by saying he was the next Thierry Henry - ridiculous comment that will only set a player up to fail.

Had he said that then it would of been ridiculous. Probably as ridiculous as people taking a forum myth and posting it as fact.

What he actually said was “Nathan Redmond can be Southampton's Thierry Henry”.

Redmond is a good player. I can see a player lots of qualities and for me it’s a pity to leave him on the right. I can see in the future he can play in as a striker.

He even added “Redmond and Thierry are two different players but I see similarities between them. They have the ability to shoot with their right foot and to curl the ball.”

Absolutely nowhere did he call him “The next Thierry Henry. If I said Matt is Southampton’s George Best, does that mean I’m calling him the next Bestie, saying Ted Bates is Southampton’s Matt Busby, doesn’t mean he’s a better manager than Sir Matt. He clearly meant that like Henry, Redmond could be a winger that’s converted to a striker and be better for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

My comment was more about how ridiculous Pellegrino's comment was, when 10/11 players are playing pretty regularly. Redmond was the ONLY one to fit his description, so presumably that's who he meant.

Apart from the fact that Long, Boufal and Davis were injured and that could have happened to any, or all of them after the presser.

Redmond's decline is symptomatic of our club over the last twelve months. He has ability but needs to be handled right to be effective. Under the current status quo he is ineffective, like so many others.

He should not be a scapegoat. His malaise is one of many symptoms showing how sick we currently are.

You’ve got to be kidding, he been terrible when he’s been in team. He is the exact opposite to vital!

Had he said that then it would of been ridiculous. Probably as ridiculous as people taking a forum myth and posting it as fact.

What he actually said was “Nathan Redmond can be Southampton's Thierry Henry”.

Redmond is a good player. I can see a player lots of qualities and for me it’s a pity to leave him on the right. I can see in the future he can play in as a striker.

He even added “Redmond and Thierry are two different players but I see similarities between them. They have the ability to shoot with their right foot and to curl the ball.”

Absolutely nowhere did he call him “The next Thierry Henry. If I said Matt is Southampton’s George Best, does that mean I’m calling him the next Bestie, saying Ted Bates is Southampton’s Matt Busby, doesn’t mean he’s a better manager than Sir Matt. He clearly meant that like Henry, Redmond could be a winger that’s converted to a striker and be better for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look Redmond is never going to be a striker, he’s averaged a goal every 9 throughout his career to date - that is 30 in 277. It’s time to throw the guy some slack instead of booing, criticising etc from some and scapegoating from others. He is a pacy wide player but not a goal scorer.

Sadly we have an inexperienced, indecisive manager who looks lost and without passion or clear direction which has exaggerated our decline. Redmond has become a victim of this in my opinion.

Redmond was a cheap Championship purchase by Reed who hoped he could be made better. It’s a little experiment that’s gone wrong unfortunately as he’s not good enough to play whatever system the “Southampton Way” is supposed to be. To be fair to Redmond, he started well but had any creative flair drilled out of him....same as Gabbi, Long and now probably Carrillo too. The only positive with Redmond is he’ll be ok next season in the Championship.

He doesn't have pace. The reason why everyone is saying that Sims gave us something different with that one run when he poked it round the full back and then sped past him is because Redmond isn't quick enough to do that. He's got a yard of pace to make room for a cross, but he's apparently got the same sustained top speed as JWP and Tadic which when you consider the latter two are starters, and Redmond was for the first half of the season, is probably why we always get reeled back in so easily when attacking on the break.

He doesn't have pace. The reason why everyone is saying that Sims gave us something different with that one run when he poked it round the full back and then sped past him is because Redmond isn't quick enough to do that. He's got a yard of pace to make room for a cross, but he's apparently got the same sustained top speed as JWP and Tadic which when you consider the latter two are starters, and Redmond was for the first half of the season, is probably why we always get reeled back in so easily when attacking on the break.

He has way more pace than Tadic or JWP especially with the ball at his feet. His problem is confidence. He is to scared to take people on and nine times out of ten elects to make an easy pass back. It doesn't help he is always played on the left when he would probably be better on the right getting chalk on his boots.

Slightly unfair to compare one run from Sims - in the first half Redmond did the same thing so don’t really get your point? Whatever else you think of Redmond he does not lack pace.

Redmond was a cheap Championship purchase by Reed who hoped he could be made better. It’s a little experiment that’s gone wrong unfortunately as he’s not good enough to play whatever system the “Southampton Way” is supposed to be. To be fair to Redmond, he started well but had any creative flair drilled out of him....same as Gabbi, Long and now probably Carrillo too. The only positive with Redmond is he’ll be ok next season in the Championship.

Nutshell

Reed gambles on cheap options, and here we are in last chance saloon.

He has way more pace than Tadic or JWP especially with the ball at his feet. His problem is confidence. He is to scared to take people on and nine times out of ten elects to make an easy pass back. It doesn't help he is always played on the left when he would probably be better on the right getting chalk on his boots.

Not according to the sprint data that was accidentally included in one of Hoedt's signing photos - Redmond has a decent spring, but no real sustained speed. I know some people have questioned the validity of those numbers, but honestly - when was the last time you saw Redmond burn someone for pace over more than about five yards?

Not according to the sprint data that was accidentally included in one of Hoedt's signing photos - Redmond has a decent spring, but no real sustained speed. I know some people have questioned the validity of those numbers, but honestly - when was the last time you saw Redmond burn someone for pace over more than about five yards?

Is that the data that showed quicksand-Austin as some kind of Usain Bolt? Think the machine might need calibrating.

We definitely need to reintegrate Redmond into the team. He actually does have pace but clearly lacking in confidence this season to take on and make runs/dribbles. He was one of our best players last season.

The team has zero pace aside from the fullbacks and the ever so inconsistent Boufal. We need pace around Carrillo to utilise his strengths.

Does he have 3 assists this season?

We definitely need to reintegrate Redmond into the team. He actually does have pace but clearly lacking in confidence this season to take on and make runs/dribbles. He was one of our best players last season.

The team has zero pace aside from the fullbacks and the ever so inconsistent Boufal. We need pace around Carrillo to utilise his strengths.

He certainly wasn't one of our best players last season. Not sure what you were watching!

His pace is a bit of a myth to me. he apparently has it, but I never see him use it. He just stops, looks back and slows the game down.

Redmond was also very highly rated by the England set up, I completely agreed with the transfer when it happened. The lad is 23/24, he can still improve.

Redmond could do with a coach like Pep or Poch... one that just knows how to get the best out of players and has a very good track record of improving them. There is a good player in there somewhere, he needs to find it though.

I think he would defiantly benefit from an attack minded coach who gives players freedom to express themselves... Same can be applied to Boufal.

This is a myth.

The only thing inconsistent about Boufal is his selection in the first 11.

He makes things happen. We should try playing him every game, strange concept I know.

He certainly wasn't one of our best players last season. Not sure what you were watching!

His pace is a bit of a myth to me. he apparently has it, but I never see him use it. He just stops, looks back and slows the game down.

Wasn't he our top scorer in the league last season (not that he had much competition) with 7 goals?

This is a myth.

The only thing inconsistent about Boufal is his selection in the first 11.

He makes things happen. We should try playing him every game, strange concept I know.

That is a myth Boufal has made very little happen in the last two seasons (and don't give me that lack of game time bull either he has plenty of opportunities now) he flatters to deceive most of the time.

I get why fans like him he is exciting to watch and has great ball skills. However the number of games where he has any really impact is tiny 'boro in the cup last season, WBA at home this season and arguably as a sub against Newcastle at home.

I don't mind him being in the squad but really we need to put to bed this idea he is the only player in our squad that makes things happen. On current form JWP is far more likely to effect games than Boufal.

That is a myth Boufal has made very little happen in the last two seasons (and don't give me that lack of game time bull either he has plenty of opportunities now) he flatters to deceive most of the time.

This. I am pretty sure that statistically Redmond is far more successful in both the assists and goals front. Boufal scores on wonder goal and produces a couple of successful fancy flicks and a load of Saints fans think we have the new Ronaldo or Messi on our hands. Boufal is nothing more than a 5a side player.

Totally agree with this.

I was one of Boufal's biggest fans, pleading for more time when others had lost patience with him, but frankly he's shown this season he has no end product and is not good enough to be a top premier league performer.

Totally agree with this.

I was one of Boufal's biggest fans, pleading for more time when others had lost patience with him, but frankly he's shown this season he has no end product and is not good enough to be a top premier league performer.

You're agreeing with yourself ;)

I get why fans like him he is exciting to watch and has great ball skills. However the number of games where he has any really impact is tiny 'boro in the cup last season, WBA at home this season and arguably as a sub against Newcastle at home.

I don't mind him being in the squad but really we need to put to bed this idea he is the only player in our squad that makes things happen. On current form JWP is far more likely to effect games than Boufal.

It took Boufal a long time to adjust to the nature of the English game. I recall a French media interview with him where spoke about the lack of protection afforded by English referees to attacking players. He's the type of player to make things happen, works on the edges and has needed to up his street smarts in the English game.

He has shown that this season, but unfortunately the clown has given him insufficient opportunities playing with the right players to exploit his talents.

Boufal is by far our most naturally gifted footballer. No doubt. We should be playing to his strengths and then see the impact he has. On the rare occasions he is named in the starting line up knowing there'll be a player who just potentially could change a game has been a rare positive on the dross we've had to endure.

Redmond, isn't anywhere near Boufal in my opinion. He's too busy shafting Emma Milton (who is stunning BTW) and being all gangsta to actually want to succeed as a footballer at this club. He's desperate to get out and its reflected in his performances.

Needs to play in the '10' behind the main CF.

That way he can pick the ball from deep then has the chance to go either way - When stuck out on the wing he becomes isolated and predictable.

He's not been great for us, but I think there is a player in there somewhere.

That way he can pick the ball from deep then has the chance to go either way - When stuck out on the wing he becomes isolated and predictable.

You dont want him picking the ball up from deep, he loses it too much, would put us in the doggy doo straight away.

So we need to play Boufal, Redmond and Tadic all in behind the striker to get the best out them now?

Good thing we didn't get any pacey widemen in the Jan window then...

So we need to play Boufal, Redmond and Tadic all in behind the striker to get the best out them now?

Good thing we didn't get any pacey widemen in the Jan window then...

Tadic is best out on the left, IMO. Boufal is similar to Redmond (all be it probably better than Redmond out wide), so yes, probably needs to play centrally.

Not getting a pacey wideman was criminal, but then so was not getting a CB. We've not adequately replaced Mane or VvD.

From what we have , I'd like to see a front line of:

Sims -- Redmond/Boufal -- Tadic/Boufal

Austin / Carrillo

A combination from 2 of Lemina, Romeu or PEH should provide a solid enough base for us to essentially play 4 forwards.

On the basis that he clearly has far more pace than anyone in the squad barring Long, and the technique to actually hit the ball reasonably cleanly, I'd stick Sims out on the right, Tadic on the left where he belongs, and then Boufal/Lemina/JWP/Anyone else with a valid claim at #10. My preference would be Boufal, but I suspect that Pellegrino's conservatism will continue to see Tadic play in the middle as soon as anyone else less-established comes into the team based on nothing more than a spurious notion of seniority.

People that talk of all the players that could play in the mythical 10 position are ignoring the fact none of them score goals. It has to be a goal scorer to support the target man plus two wide players that also know where the goal is, such as Sims. Tadic, Boufal, Redmond, JWP and Davis don't get goals regularly. Hesketh is an option but Gabbiadini in Austin's absence as a half decent finisher should be given a run to support Carillo. One of Tadic, Boufal or Redmond could play in the other wide position.

The trouble with this timid mouse of a manager, he is too frightened to pick a balanced side. If I was at left back for the opposition, seeing the pedestrian JWP as a defensive right forward would make my eyes light up, knowing I could attack all day long and not worry about breaks, because he would be trailing behind me all day, like he was with Ward on Saturday. Now Sims, that's a whole new ball game.

People that talk of all the players that could play in the mythical 10 position are ignoring the fact none of them score goals. It has to be a goal scorer to support the target man plus two wide players that also know where the goal is, such as Sims. Tadic, Boufal, Redmond, JWP and Davis don't get goals regularly. Hesketh is an option but Gabbiadini in Austin's absence as a half decent finisher should be given a run to support Carillo. One of Tadic, Boufal or Redmond could play in the other wide position.

The trouble with this timid mouse of a manager, he is too frightened to pick a balanced side. If I was at left back for the opposition, seeing the pedestrian JWP as a defensive right forward would make my eyes light up, knowing I could attack all day long and not worry about breaks, because he would be trailing behind me all day, like he was with Ward on Saturday. Now Sims, that's a whole new ball game.

I've been banging on about investing in a proper #10 for years, but in the absence of one of those, I'm not sure Gabbiadini is the answer. His game is all about short, sharp runs and anticipating the delivery of the ball, rather than holding onto possession and releasing the right pass (that said, it could definitely be argued that he warrants a starting place on the left of the attack ahead of Tadic, which is pretty much where he was plying his trade when we bought him).

Ideally the #10 needs to be able to go either way, and frankly the only attacking player we have who doesn't seem to be entirely one-footed is Boufal - therefore for that reason alone he should get the attacking spot through the middle.

I've been banging on about investing in a proper #10 for years, but in the absence of one of those, I'm not sure Gabbiadini is the answer. His game is all about short, sharp runs and anticipating the delivery of the ball, rather than holding onto possession and releasing the right pass (that said, it could definitely be argued that he warrants a starting place on the left of the attack ahead of Tadic, which is pretty much where he was plying his trade when we bought him).

Ideally the #10 needs to be able to go either way, and frankly the only attacking player we have who doesn't seem to be entirely one-footed is Boufal - therefore for that reason alone he should get the attacking spot through the middle.

Not in a month of sundays. Gabbiadini needs to support Carillo with Sims. Boufal is a showboater who is sporadic and unreliable. He wouldn't make the runs into the box without the ball that Gabbiadini would.

Not in a month of sundays. Gabbiadini needs to support Carillo with Sims. Boufal is a showboater who is sporadic and unreliable. He wouldn't make the runs into the box without the ball that Gabbiadini would.

I think we're talking about a different interpretation of the role. I don't anticipate Boufal making a lot of runs without the ball into the box - as a #10 he should be the one in possession most when we're attacking, essentially acting as a cut-price Hazard. The runs to support Carillo would come from Sims on the right and Gabbiadini/Tadic on the left (with Gabbi the more likely to make them).

He was dropped right out of the team and is now a starter. I wonder what he did in training for this to occur. Must have put in a really good shift and got his attitude and fitness right up to par.

Or perhaps he just winged and wined a lot

I think we're talking about a different interpretation of the role. I don't anticipate Boufal making a lot of runs without the ball into the box - as a #10 he should be the one in possession most when we're attacking, essentially acting as a cut-price Hazard. The runs to support Carillo would come from Sims on the right and Gabbiadini/Tadic on the left (with Gabbi the more likely to make them).

We certainly are, David Silva we haven't got, goals we don't score, so the three forwards, if we choose to play one target man have to make the runs and get into goal scoring positions, as Sims and Gabbiadini did on Saturday, plus one of our other midfielders cum forwards on the left. Boufal is a myth of a player, He is not reliable and consistent enough to hand a role to.