Redmond

9-3

Why not just play McQueen instead of Redmond he is reasonably quick and tends to go more direct than Redmond certainly better than Boufal trying to beat the entire opposition outfield 10 before considering a pass.

Yes, I think we play better when McQueen's on the left.

I find him frustrating. He doesn't get down the line enough and he likes to cut in but from what I've seen his shooting is awful. Mostly drags it wide along the floor or straight at the keeper. Worse still I've seen no improvement in any area of his game. He's not better now than when he arrived.

He starts every game. I do wonder how Boufal would improve if he was indulged to the same extent. Redmond has had his chance for now and we've failed to score in 9 of 12 home games. Give Boufal ten games in the side and I'd like to think he'd show us something.

When Redmond has the ball he always look to go inside / to the right of the fullback rather than the outside nearly every time. When teams double up he has no alternative but to play backwards if he is not prepared to go outside and therefore is very predictable. Unless he varies his play he will not improve his worth to the team.

Its painful to watch. The other option is to play much more centrally as he then tends to be able to play either side as he has more space.

I think he could show more initiative at getting in the box. No excuse (in most circumstances) not to be in the penalty area when your opposite winger is looking to put a cross in. Same goes for Tadic. Add that Davis is not a natural at breaking into the box is one reason we don't look like scoring many.

When Redmond has the ball he always look to go inside / to the right of the fullback rather than the outside nearly every time. When teams double up he has no alternative but to play backwards if he is not prepared to go outside and therefore is very predictable. Unless he varies his play he will not improve his worth to the team.

Its painful to watch. The other option is to play much more centrally as he then tends to be able to play either side as he has more space.

I was thinking about this the other day and, actually, I concluded that playing in the "10" role might suit him better as it would make him less predictable. You could play Tadic left, Remond central and Davis on the right easily enough.

Obviously you could also play Boufal but MP clearly doesn't rate him!

I was thinking about this the other day and, actually, I concluded that playing in the "10" role might suit him better as it would make him less predictable. You could play Tadic left, Remond central and Davis on the right easily enough.

Obviously you could also play Boufal but MP clearly doesn't rate him!

I swear there was a game early last season that Puel moved Redmond central behind the striker and I remember thinking he looked pretty good there.

I think he could show more initiative at getting in the box. No excuse (in most circumstances) not to be in the penalty area when your opposite winger is looking to put a cross in. Same goes for Tadic. Add that Davis is not a natural at breaking into the box is one reason we don't look like scoring many.

Good point this. It's basic for a #7 and #11 to tuck in and play like a 2nd striker when the balls on the other wing. It's what Jrod did well in his good year. It's what mane does. Redmond and tadic both sit back too much

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What do Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo, Huddersfield's Tom Ince and Southampton's Nathan Redmond all have in common? They all feature highly in a list of Europe's most frustrated footballers when it comes to trying to score this season.

Redmond has had 21 shots on goal in six Premier League games, with only Massimo Coda of Serie A newcomers Benevento having more attempts (23) without scoring in Europe's top five leagues. Ince, meanwhile, has failed to find the net with his 20 efforts for Huddersfield. Ronaldo is unlikely to be enjoying Messi's fast start to the season as his struggle in front of goal continues.

The Portugal captain is yet to open his league account for the season despite 18 efforts on goal, 12 of those coming in a single game - the 1-0 defeat by Real Betis last Wednesday.

We all just need patience...

Good point this. It's basic for a #7 and #11 to tuck in and play like a 2nd striker when the balls on the other wing. It's what Jrod did well in his good year. It's what mane does. Redmond and tadic both sit back too much

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

that is why having gabbi in his place would make sense

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought there would be a few comments about how dire he was when he got on the pitch on Sunday on here! He wouldn't make a run, was generally anywhere between 10 & 30 yards behind the play most of the time & just stood and watched as Davis made that run through late in the game then had no one on the overlap to give it to or draw some of the defenders off of him. He was so bad that Pellegrino even had a go at him on the pitch at the final whistle!

To call him garbage would be being unfair to garbage, because at least garbage used to be useful once!

Thought there would be a few comments about how dire he was when he got on the pitch on Sunday on here! He wouldn't make a run, was generally anywhere between 10 & 30 yards behind the play most of the time & just stood and watched as Davis made that run through late in the game then had no one on the overlap to give it to or draw some of the defenders off of him. He was so bad that Pellegrino even had a go at him on the pitch at the final whistle!

To call him garbage would be being unfair to garbage, because at least garbage used to be useful once!

he went from a bit part player with a relegated Norwich to what you could argue basically a starter with us.

Redmond needs to move to another club, not because I think he is not good enough, but the boneheads in our fanbase cant see that he will be a good player. The same people who get on his back are the same ones who wanted Puel gone. He came on Sunday and added zip to our play.

Against Newcastle he set up a chance on a plate for Tadic who missed his header, he also put the pass to Gabbi for the equaliser,

Me too, I know it's easy to get a fixed mindset about certain players but I think Tadic has been absolutely woeful for a long time now.

Agree, but there is a decent player in Tadic, he's just not showing it, at the moment. Redmond, I'm not so sure.

Redmond needs to move to another club, not because I think he is not good enough, but the boneheads in our fanbase cant see that he will be a good player. The same people who get on his back are the same ones who wanted Puel gone. He came on Sunday and added zip to our play.

Against Newcastle he set up a chance on a plate for Tadic who missed his header, he also put the pass to Gabbi for the equaliser,

yep I thought that when he zipped that cross field pass to absolutely nobody and then looked for someone to blame.

He has pace. After that I’m struggling to think of positives.

yep I thought that when he zipped that cross field pass to absolutely nobody and then looked for someone to blame.

He has pace. After that I’m struggling to think of positives.

Yes he did make a crossfield pass to no one. Surely when you are attacking there should be someone in that space. The trouble was that the team were so keen to stay in their own half they didn't move up field. Good attacking play you spread the game, Redmond came on and tried to give us some energy.

Anyway as I said earlier,he should move to another club where he can be appreciated, the fans are so against him, whatever he ever does for us, will be wrong.

redmond is bang average and would have been no more than a bench player 2 seasons ago - for us.

bang average and nothing in his career suggests otherwise.

poor signing really

yep you are known to be a judge after your constant moaning about Pelle and his lack of quality lol

I'm not against Redmond, I just thought his performance on Sunday was the worst I'd seen from a substitute since Ali Dia! I can see that he could be a danger to the opposition if he would try mixing things up a bit instead of always doing the same things over and over again. Case in point on Sunday was when he had the full back facing him up with his feet planted waiting for Nathan to come inside & he went inside straight into the player who scooped the ball away from him. Then two minutes later exactly the same situation occurred. On both occasions he would have been free if he had gone outside the full back instead as the player was committed. There was one guy behind me in the crowd who was apoplectic with Redmonds performance and kept calling him a lazy sh*t. A sentiment that was shared by many when he just stood watching as we tried to attack several times. Was he having a sulk about being dropped or something, because his attitude stank when he got on the pitch?

• 3 months later...
For those who were there yesterday' date=' how did Redmond get on? Has his spell out of the side done him some good?[/quote']from the telly, he played exactly how redmond plays

Kind of feel. sorry for him stuck out wide left. which worries me that the same fate will become of Sims.

For those who were there yesterday' date=' how did Redmond get on? Has his spell out of the side done him some good?[/quote']

Ok. Did some good defensive work but lack of confidence in attack was apparent because he defaulted to slowing play down and cutting inside. Saying that, he didn't give the ball away quite as much as he did before he got dropped and played a part in the second goal with a good ball forward to Carrillo.

After the game Pellegrino said the match was not only a good result, but also a good opportunity to give players a game who haven’t had much time on the pitch lately.

Given the line up was McCarthy, Cedric, Hoedt, Stephens, Bertrand, PEH, Lemina, JWP, Tadic, Carrillo & Redmond...

I’m taking that to mean “this match was purely for Redders!”

After the game Pellegrino said the match was not only a good result, but also a good opportunity to give players a game who haven’t had much time on the pitch lately.

Given the line up was McCarthy, Cedric, Hoedt, Stephens, Bertrand, PEH, Lemina, JWP, Tadic, Carrillo & Redmond...

I’m taking that to mean “this match was purely for Redders!”

He also said before the game that players would only get game time if they had earned it, so Redmond obviously showing a bit more in training.

I know there always has to be a scapegoat but the fans have ruined Redmond's confidence to a degree and I think he will want to leave in the summer regardless of what division we are in.

Clearly there is talent there, and we don't have a player of his type apart from him, so for me he would be a starter most weeks til the end of the season and hopefully he can find some form.

He must look brilliant in training because he's really not doing much at the moment on the pitch.

Has to start showing more for me, he's had "potential" for years now. has shown in flashes what he could be - Liverpool away in the cup last season was great I thought - but lots of players have one off good games.

A consistent improvement required from him over next few months - hopefully as we settle into season that will happen although not convinced of that right now.

People saying that him (and Tadic) are championship players due to lack of consistency is utter rubbish though. they'd tear the championship apart. If they were consistently good they be playing for a top 6 side - they aren't so they are playing for a mid table side instead

Here’s an idea........ Get the manager to coach him! Oh sorry he can’t do that can he so let’s just do what we are doing and accept mediocrity from both of them......

He also said before the game that players would only get game time if they had earned it, so Redmond obviously showing a bit more in training.

I know there always has to be a scapegoat but the fans have ruined Redmond's confidence to a degree and I think he will want to leave in the summer regardless of what division we are in.

Clearly there is talent there, and we don't have a player of his type apart from him, so for me he would be a starter most weeks til the end of the season and hopefully he can find some form.

My comment was more about how ridiculous Pellegrino's comment was, when 10/11 players are playing pretty regularly. Redmond was the ONLY one to fit his description, so presumably that's who he meant.

Redmond frustrates the hell out of me, but he has played well at times (under Puel, not this season), so I don't think he's a lost cause. The frustrating thing is that he always plays on the left, which means he always cuts in and then passes backwards, plus it means Tadic goes to the right where he is generally poor.

It is true that Sims showed in 5 minutes the sort of thing that I would like to see more from Redmond. Either he needs to coached to be braver with the ball at his feet, or he needs to be coached be more effective at cutting in (i.e. actually be a goal threat). But I don't think that's going to come from Pellegrino - he just does the same thing over and over. I don't really like Guardiola, but I reckon if he had Redmond in his squad (and had to play him), he would make him a better, maybe even good, player.

Puel screwed him from the start by saying he was the next Thierry Henry - ridiculous comment that will only set a player up to fail.

Presumably he said that Redmond "reminded him of a young Thierry Henry"?

Which is not the same. But of course, everyone likes to ignore the context and get carried away. It might be quite funny think of that comparison now, but I didn't think anyone took those comments to seriously mean he thought Redmond would end up anywhere near as good as Henry... :rolleyes:

Presumably he said that Redmond "reminded him of a young Thierry Henry"?

Which is not the same. But of course, everyone likes to ignore the context and get carried away. It might be quite funny think of that comparison now, but I didn't think anyone took those comments to seriously mean he thought Redmond would end up anywhere near as good as Henry... :rolleyes:

Redmond is a talented player regardless of Puel’s opinion re Henry and should be starting every week. He has pace and ability which the team lacks except at full back and needs our support. Get behind him he’s vital to our survival.