Redmond

9-3

You've got to love this place.

He's 23 - probably 5 years off the peak of his powers and has a lot of very positive attributes.

Will he ever be Messi or Ronaldo? Probably not. Could he progress to be a Saleh or an Eriksson, maybe.

The main criticism seems to be that he isn't Mane. Which is ridiculous.

We are a top half team who occasionally unearth gems, but who by and large have top half players. Of which Redmond is one. And well worth the £10m we paid for him. Bournemouth paid £15m for Jordan Ibe FFS.

No, the main criticism is that he has never looked anything other than an average midfielder at this level and offers very little to our attacking play. He rarely tries to take a man on, take a shot or choose the right ball for an overlapping fullback. He didn't really stand out in a Norwich team which got relegated and last year was part of the worst attack outside the bottom 5. I couldn't give a sh*t what Bournemouth paid for Ibe, Redmond is not a top half player.

No, the main criticism is that he has never looked anything other than an average midfielder at this level and offers very little to our attacking play. He rarely tries to take a man on, take a shot or choose the right ball for an overlapping fullback. He didn't really stand out in a Norwich team which got relegated and last year was part of the worst attack outside the bottom 5. I couldn't give a sh*t what Bournemouth paid for Ibe, Redmond is not a top half player.

Ibe isn't really relevant here, but ash he came, he came on in Bournemouth's last game and won it for them with two assists in about 10 minutes. Has Redmond got an assist this season?

You've got to love this place.

He's 23 - probably 5 years off the peak of his powers and has a lot of very positive attributes.

Will he ever be Messi or Ronaldo? Probably not. Could he progress to be a Saleh or an Eriksson, maybe.

The main criticism seems to be that he isn't Mane. Which is ridiculous.

We are a top half team who occasionally unearth gems, but who by and large have top half players. Of which Redmond is one. And well worth the £10m we paid for him. Bournemouth paid £15m for Jordan Ibe FFS.

He'll never be an Eriksen. Assuming you are talking about the one at Spurs. Not only is Eriksen not much older and streets ahead of Redmond in terms of end product, they are also completely different types of player.

He'll never be an Eriksen. Assuming you are talking about the one at Spurs. Not only is Eriksen not much older and streets ahead of Redmond in terms of end product, they are also completely different types of player.

I appreciate the urge to take everything literally, but that was not my intent - obviously Eriksen and Saleh are different styles to Redmond.

But if you want to compare end product; Last season Redmond scored 7 and created 37 chances. In Eriksen's equivalent year 2014/15 he scored 4 and created 42 chances. The following season was a big one for Eriksen - let's hope the same is true if Redmond. I'm sure we all want him to succeed.

He was very poor today. Thinks he's better than he is and needs a dose of reality.

Actually thought he was miles better today than against Palace.

As for trying Target instead of him as Manuel suggested, well that's just barmy. If anything we play Gabbi up top and Long or Boufal in place of Redmond.

Well, If you are going to lose, then put up a fight - We did that and competed across the pitch. That's fine and (Against United) deserves the praise that some are bestowing on the team. I would exclude first half performances from Redman and Bertrand, where firstly Redman is in a run of bad form, doesn't deserve his place in the team and has turned in another sub- acceptable performance, that picked up slightly in the second half, but a long way from being acceptable in the shape and formation we play (One up front). Secondly I have no idea what is going on with Bertrand, it almost feels like he is cheating us, no over laps when then option is on, not moving up with the team when the space is there and an almost deliberate nonchalance, that comes across as "I Don't give a flying f**k".

But the elephant in the room is not going away. We cannot score, we do not look like scoring and De Gea won't have many easier games as that.

We can look back at some battling efforts, some great performances (Lemina), but we aren't scoring goals, we don't look iike scoring goals ............... and this is at home. Many will ***** and moan , but the stats are worse than freaking awful......... This is a huge huge huge problem, and way past personal opinions, this is facts.

I thought Long was excellent today, you couldn't ask anymore of him than he gave or did, but the shape or tactics don't support one up front, the midfield don't move up and that includes the attacking or more forward midfielders. When we really needed a goal ....what did we do .......... put another striker on...... if that's the answer why not start like that.

I am not suggesting that 4-4 -2 is the absolute answer (Although at this point in time, would have to be my preferred option) but we can't carry on like this.

Plucky second is rubbish, Many are celebrating a home defeat, which whilst against a team like United is no real shame in itself, the lack of goal scoring opportunities at home really is..... especially when you look at the last 10 home games.

Whatever we are doing is not working ....... time to change it.

he is alright.

2 seasons ago and further back, no way would he have got a sniff ahead of Mane or Lallana/Jrod before that.

now, he seems to be a cert to start. Which highlights the regression of our forward play

Can't argue with that - watching Redmond, Long (Davis) and Tadic yesterday confirmed how down on quality we are in attack - the other six were excellent. Redmond's second half was a big improvement.

He was actually fantastic in that 2nd half. Unlucky not to get more for his efforts. Another game without a goal so Redmond will cop abuse but I don't think he deserves it this time.

He did improve in the second half because he actually went past some Utd players. His shooting is consistently weak and off target.

His supposed lack of form seems never ending. He frequently *****es at his own team members after he has lost the ball.

He should be dropped. He really doesn't deserve his place and has been poor in all matches this season even though he did have a better second half . Just not good enough

Starting to agree that he's not doing enough. Seems to be unable to attack the box these days, rarely makes good runs into space, frustrates his teammates, can't shoot or cross.

I would like to give Targett a run on the left, give that a try.

Give him the old Gareth Bale treatment. Only problem with Targett is he's as thick as two short planks.

We don't seem to get the ball to him enough in positions where he can be dangerous. I'm not sure if that is his fault or the team's. He doesn't appear to read the game very well and he maybe another Walcott in that respect (He's not as good as Walcott at the minute). He definitely has ability and potential and maybe 1 day it will all click in to place but at present Long would be a better attacking option in that position.

I appreciate the urge to take everything literally, but that was not my intent - obviously Eriksen and Saleh are different styles to Redmond.

But if you want to compare end product; Last season Redmond scored 7 and created 37 chances. In Eriksen's equivalent year 2014/15 he scored 4 and created 42 chances. The following season was a big one for Eriksen - let's hope the same is true if Redmond. I'm sure we all want him to succeed.

If someone says that Redmond could be an Eriksen or a Salah, how else are you supposed to take it other than a comparison to those players?

You also have the wrong stats, in 2014/15 Eriksen scored 10 goals in the Premier League. It was his best goalscoring season for Spurs (but the following 2 seasons were far better in terms of assists).

Either way, whatever way you look at it, Redmond will LITERALLY never be an Eriksen in terms of quality, level or play or type of player.

As I can only judge by what I see on TV rather than most of you who watch him live I will refrain for saying what I think in fairness to him.

However I would like to ask a question, as some seem to say that he has potential but which hasn't seemed to progress very much if at all,

would, if he was a young lad in the academy who never seemed to fulfil his potential, he be offered a full contract?

IF the answer is Yes then fine keep playing him regardless but IF the answer is No perhaps he should be let go so that he could move to a team

in a lower league.

Saturday afternoon second half it looked like both him and Tadic had been told at half time "I am going to make some substitutions second half and right now you 2 are top of the list".

When Davis was subbed as they waited for board to show the numbers for an early sit down, the body language of Tadic was preparing to run off. First half both Redmond and Tadic were by and large passengers making us a 9 man team.

In all honesty I don't think we will see much notable improvement in Redmond, given the match time he has had with us compared to his time with Norwich you would expect him to have developed his game immensely. But alas the bloke is predictable in his play week in week out, just reading through this alone backs that observation up. I would happily put money on the table to bet that if Boufal was given the same charmed life on the team sheet, we would be seeing a much more notable difference from him.

When was the last time Redmond and Tadic both had exceptional games, or halves, at the same time? Maybe I'm inventing a story that doesn't exist, but it seems that one plays well when the other doesn't. They each had a good half against Utd.

Boufal appears to be an even bigger waste than Gaston

We certainly seem to have problems recruiting in the attacking midfield area. Tadic and Mane have been the only "success" since we have got back in the premier league I believe. Boufal has got massive talent but if you cant get him in the team he's wasted. Was there any official note as to why he wasnt in the squad Saturday?

He was f*****g awful on Saturday and has been all season. The moment he gets the on the ball he kills all momentum by either doing 6 step overs while inching forwards and then be tackled, or playing a simple back pass. He's incapable of shooting from distance, can't cross, has no creativity, doesn't drive forwards with enough speed, and moans all game. He's a total waste of space and should be benched. Tadic is little better though. If Sim's was fit then I'd start him, but as it stands I'd give Boufal a shot. There's a talented player in there somewhere and I think the confidence from an extended run in the team will do him wonders.

He was f*****g awful on Saturday and has been all season. The moment he gets the on the ball he kills all momentum by either doing 6 step overs while inching forwards and then be tackled, or playing a simple back pass. He's incapable of shooting from distance, can't cross, has no creativity, doesn't drive forwards with enough speed, and moans all game. He's a total waste of space and should be benched. Tadic is little better though. If Sim's was fit then I'd start him, but as it stands I'd give Boufal a shot. There's a talented player in there somewhere and I think the confidence from an extended run in the team will do him wonders.

Why not just play McQueen instead of Redmond he is reasonably quick and tends to go more direct than Redmond certainly better than Boufal trying to beat the entire opposition outfield 10 before considering a pass.

He should have more assists too. Only 6 players in the league have created more shot chances. Only 4 have taken more shots. I can't help but feel they will start going in soon.

Part of his problem is that he takes shots when there is a chance to put someone else in in a much better position, and invariably the shots he does have tend to be easy for the keeper to save. He might have a decent shot every couple of games, but to assume that "they will eventually start going in" assumes he's JUST been unlucky and the outcome of the shot is completely unrelated to his shooting ability.

Part of his problem is that he takes shots when there is a chance to put someone else in in a much better position, and invariably the shots he does have tend to be easy for the keeper to save. He might have a decent shot every couple of games, but to assume that "they will eventually start going in" assumes he's JUST been unlucky and the outcome of the shot is completely unrelated to his shooting ability.

I think the suggestion was that he's making enough chances and that the other players will eventually start converting the chances he's making.