We'll capable of greatness

Disco Stu

With United coming up, it brought me back to our superb and trophy deserving performance back in February at Wembley. With our current crop of players, we're capable of so much more than we're currently producing. I know it may be a frustrating watch for some, but this setup was perfect for Gabbiadini and players such as Redmond and Ward-Prowse looked like top Premier League players that day.

Take that side and add the quality of Lemina and Hoedt and I know we can still challenge for 'best of the rest'. It's a shame we didn't strengthen more up front this summer but the current players just need that confidence and the right management to get them capable of beating sides like this. I hope Pellegrino is the right man to get us there...

We beat CP ffs :lol:

These posts are gonna bite us in the arse and we need to keep a sense of perspective.

Plus, only the FA Cup is left for us to win and knowing us we will draw Man City at home or something

We've only drawn Man City in the fa cup at home once, back in 1910. We've drawn them away twice, 1960 and 2007.

Not sure that is enough to be perceived as typical saints behaviour just yet.

Never, in the field of forum conflict, was a post read by so many, but understood by so few......or, as Churchill so eloquently put it "what the hell does Palace or our current form have to do with the thread?"

No absolutely, I don't think this can be denied. In fact the degree in which Disco Stu has misunderstood the Palace performance and what it means for the rest of the season is what I think can only be described as mind-boggling. And as Churchill himself so famously said "this is something we can all agree on, yes?"

Oh Disco. Disco Stu!

No absolutely, I don't think this can be denied. In fact the degree in which Disco Stu has misunderstood the Palace performance and what it means for the rest of the season is what I think can only be described as mind-boggling. And as Churchill himself so famously said "this is something we can all agree on, yes?"

Oh Disco. Disco Stu!

So a post talking about last seasons final with Man U, with a video of the game with Man U prompted by our upcoming game against Man U is some how a post about Crystal Palace in the minds of the hard of thinking on here.

DS theory goes like this, we played well in that final so with the similar personnel that we have we should be capable of recreating it, even more so with the introduction of two better players (given that part of the evidence for this is a game against Crystal Palace, this must be the bit that is causing your confusion).

You can agrue that he is wrong but you can not say that he is wrong because CP are ****, because he didn't say we can be good because we beat CP he is saying we can be good because of how we played in the final against Man U.

It is the Gaston Ramirez argument, where you believe that there is a good team there it's just knowing how to unlock it, but there is only so many matches that you can give it before you sack it off.

So a post talking about last seasons final with Man U, with a video of the game with Man U prompted by our upcoming game against Man U is some how a post about Crystal Palace in the minds of the hard of thinking on here.

DS theory goes like this, we played well in that final so with the similar personnel that we have we should be capable of recreating it, even more so with the introduction of two better players (given that part of the evidence for this is a game against Crystal Palace, this must be the bit that is causing your confusion).

You can agrue that he is wrong but you can not say that he is wrong because CP are ****, because he didn't say we can be good because we beat CP he is saying we can be good because of how we played in the final against Man U.

It is the Gaston Ramirez argument, where you believe that there is a good team there it's just knowing how to unlock it, but there is only so many matches that you can give it before you sack it off.

I think that a comparison will be better on the return leg. We are still creating a system and the a final will always get the players fired up

Lets give it at least one more.

We've only drawn Man City in the fa cup at home once, back in 1910. We've drawn them away twice, 1960 and 2007.

Not sure that is enough to be perceived as typical saints behaviour just yet.

You're right. We usually get Man Utd.

Does any statistician know which team we've been drawn against most in the FA Cup? Man Utd must be up there. I know that the team we've played most in all competitions is Tottenham.

Does any statistician know which team we've been drawn against most in the FA Cup? Man Utd must be up there. I know that the team we've played most in all competitions is Tottenham.

Crystal Palace and Arsenal must be up there, feels like we're always bloody playing them

We've been drawn against Man Utd 9 times in the FA Cup plus of course once in the FA Cup final (where there is no draw), with 3 replays. First time we were drawn against them was in 1963 (and then we were drawn against them again the next season). We were also drawn against Newton Heath in 1897 and that game also went to a replay (which we lost). Otherwise the most are Nottm Forest, Sunderland, Liverpool and Newcastle (8 each), Everton and Palace 7, Spurs 6 times plus a final, Blackpool and Millwall 6 each. We've only drawn Arsenal 3 times plus a final. Skates 5 times. We also got drawn against Reading a few times in the 1890s and twice since.

[sources Football Club History Database http://www.fchd.info, and "Saints", Chalk & Holley]

I'm still trying to work out if the "we'll" in the thread title should have been "well" or "we're"

Definitely "we're". I've become remarkably good at deciphering absolute nonsense on the internet since it became the gold standard of communication.

Definitely "we're". I've become remarkably good at deciphering absolute nonsense on the internet since it became the gold standard of communication.

Absolute nonsense? It's not that difficult to decipher a simple typo. I wouldn't pat yourself on the back too hard...

Edited by Disco Stu