Saints U23s v Stoke U23s - Tonight @ 7pm

trousers

Might see him on the bench for sat? Esp if charlie is still injured.
I reckon the players he would most likely replace in the first team match squad are Davis/JWP/Hojbjerg, so would need an injury to two out of three of those chaps in order to stand a chance of a first team berth I would venture.

Ridiculous IMO. Redmond isn't Mane but is miles better than McQueen as a winger (he didn't stand out as a first teamer against a poor Stoke team tonight). Sims is injured and Gabbiadini is a striker.
I'll agree to disagree. I think McQueen is a better crosser and passer. Obviously Sims isn't an option at present. Gabbiadini has previously played wide, cutting in to make a second striker.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Getting just a little ahead of yourself here imo....

Nowhere near the first team... Nice goal but a long long way to go to the first team...

Disagree with that. This lad is a wonder kid and putting him on the bench soon will do even more for his confidence. Add in to the fact that he is a number 10 too :)

From the highlights it did look to be a good performance by Callum Slattery and an excellent goal from the edge of the area. He looks sure to be the next Academy graduate to become a first team regular but the term 'wonder kid' should be reserved for the 17 or 18-year olds who break through at an exceptionally young age. Matt Le Tiss was 18 when he had his first team debut but wasn't a regular straight away and scored no goals at all in his second season. He was 20/21 when he made his mark as PFA Young Player of the Year. Bale and Walcott both made their debuts when they were 16 but Saints weren't then in the Premier League.

One other thing about the commentary on the Highlights. I do wish people wouldn't praise players for 'Winning' a penalty. All that says is that the commentator believes the player cheated. If a penalty is given, the Referee believes it to be a genuine foul so you can hardly praise a player for being fouled as it's not his doing, whereas any player who simulates to get a penalty should be sent off. Either way it isn't something to a player's credit.

One other thing about the commentary on the Highlights. I do wish people wouldn't praise players for 'Winning' a penalty. All that says is that the commentator believes the player cheated. If a penalty is given, the Referee believes it to be a genuine foul so you can hardly praise a player for being fouled as it's not his doing

Absolute drivel.

You can win a penalty just the same as you can win a free kick.

If the attacker doesn't attempt to beat the defender then the foul likely wouldn't occur so to say a player being fouled is "not his doing" is just wrong.

He is fouled because the defender cannot stop him within the rules of the game so to me that has everything to do with either the quality, idea, pace, dribbling ability, anticipation etc of the attacker, combined with poor play from the defender. Just the same as creating chances or scoring goals.

Absolute drivel.

If the attacker doesn't attempt to beat the defender then the foul likely wouldn't occur so to say a player being fouled is "not his doing" is just wrong.

He is fouled because the defender cannot stop him within the rules of the game so to me that has everything to do with either the quality, idea, pace, dribbling ability, anticipation etc of the attacker, combined with poor play from the defender. Just the same as creating chances or scoring goals.

Was just about to write the same.

The more skillful a player is the more likely they are to frustrate the defence ergo the more likely a defender is to commit a foul.

Absolute drivel.

Exactly, good skillful play or pace will "draw" a foul.

Talking of penalties, wasn't Targett's sweetly taken? I also like it how good his control is when he receives the ball.

Other points I noted, apart from Stoke's robust cr*pness, were VVD getting a good run out but hardly breaking sweat, Bednarek looked composed at that level, Tella looks sharp and pacy and Pied made loads of forays well up the field. No going through the motions from anyone.

Absolute drivel.

While this is true, isn't it more the case that you aren't trying to get a penalty when you're dribbling past them but trying to get past them to get a shot/pass in? The other situation is a bit more like where SL deliberately slows up and knows that the defender is going to (stupidly, because anyone with sense wouldn't) try to tackle him and he makes sure that he's kicked (or something like that). I think the distinction is more about gamesmanship vs good play. The phrase itself, however, is just how it's said by some, surely? Might just as well say 'awarded' a penalty.

From the highlights it did look to be a good performance by Callum Slattery and an excellent goal from the edge of the area. He looks sure to be the next Academy graduate to become a first team regular but the term 'wonder kid' should be reserved for the 17 or 18-year olds who break through at an exceptionally young age. Matt Le Tiss was 18 when he had his first team debut but wasn't a regular straight away and scored no goals at all in his second season. He was 20/21 when he made his mark as PFA Young Player of the Year. Bale and Walcott both made their debuts when they were 16 but Saints weren't then in the Premier League.

One other thing about the commentary on the Highlights. I do wish people wouldn't praise players for 'Winning' a penalty. All that says is that the commentator believes the player cheated. If a penalty is given, the Referee believes it to be a genuine foul so you can hardly praise a player for being fouled as it's not his doing, whereas any player who simulates to get a penalty should be sent off. Either way it isn't something to a player's credit.

Ignoring the fact that you are spouting "drivel", Le Tiss was 17 on debut.

Talking of penalties, wasn't Targett's sweetly taken? I also like it how good his control is when he receives the ball.

Other points I noted, apart from Stoke's robust cr*pness, were VVD getting a good run out but hardly breaking sweat, Bednarek looked composed at that level, Tella looks sharp and pacy and Pied made loads of forays well up the field. No going through the motions from anyone.

It would be a mistake to misinterpret pace for skill.. Teller was fast but not a great footballer. In fact I can see why Arsenal unloaded him. Rather 'RS it in the headlights'