How can we improve the atmosphere at St Mary's?

SKD

Lads from the inner city dives have been priced out and will invariably find other interests. Interestingly, probably our best and most vocal support is from the Waterside, especially away. I know a good 100 or so regulars from here and it's mostly young lads who love a beer and to look good, but with the money behind them (thanks Esso) to afford it every week.

Lads from the inner city dives have been priced out and will invariably find other interests. Interestingly, probably our best and most vocal support is from the Waterside, especially away. I know a good 100 or so regulars from here and it's mostly young lads who love a beer and to look good, but with the money behind them (thanks Esso) to afford it every week.

The webbed hands lets them down though

Does anyone seriously think that Sky or the club want an intimidating atmosphere? They want a safe fun family enviroment so their 'product' remains untainted. Why would any of our owners want an intimidating atmosphere,,it's not like they have a background of terrace culture. There's a reason why clackers get handed out, it's to encourage a family/tourist environment. This forum probably represents a tiny percentage of our fan base. Most fans just see match day as another leisure activity they can put on Facebook/instagram, it's like going paint balling or go-carting.

Does anyone seriously think that Sky or the club want an intimidating atmosphere? They want a safe fun family enviroment so their 'product' remains untainted. Why would any of our owners want an intimidating atmosphere,,it's not like they have a background of terrace culture. There's a reason why clackers get handed out, it's to encourage a family/tourist environment. This forum probably represents a tiny percentage of our fan base. Most fans just see match day as another leisure activity they can put on Facebook/instagram, it's like going paint balling or go-carting.

Great TV spectacle though:

For reasons of money and geography, I've never had a season ticket, but I understand you can choose your seat location when you buy it.

Surely, it's not beyond the wit of man (person) for the season ticket holders on this forum who like to make some noise/sing/chant etc to agree on a section of the stadium for a 'kop' atmosphere starting next season and agree to all pick seats around there when you renew your season tickets next summer.

...or is it more complicated than I'm assuming?

Sort out those backboard so people with no sense of rhythm can speed all the chants up. Get a drummer to keep pace and slow down the songs.

2 benefits: the songs last longer so more people can join in.

And, because they last longer and more people have joined in, there’s fewer quiet minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sort out those backboard so people with no sense of rhythm can speed all the chants up. Get a drummer to keep pace and slow down the songs.

2 benefits: the songs last longer so more people can join in.

And, because they last longer and more people have joined in, there’s fewer quiet minutes.

TBF the Man U fans were noisy today and their entire repertoire seems to be based on clapping as fast as possible...

TBF the Man U fans were noisy today and their entire repertoire seems to be based on clapping as fast as possible...

First half they were loud but tailed off dramatically in the second. Sadly that was the point when we should have ramped up our support but it pretty much fizzled out.

No, sorry I totally disagree. They all clap along, yes, but the pulse of the songs are always good.

A good example is the way spurs sing owts, and the way we do it. Ours sounds ****ing awful and it’s always increasing in speed. - it’s fine if it’s fast, but better if it’s constant. Makes it easier for others to judge the tempo, join in, and then you get a bigger noise.

I think a good place to start would be to change 90% of our fan base. Our fans look like either a mental hospitals day out or a weight watchers group that have been shop lifting at tk maxx. You'd struggle to find a bigger group of bloated, scruffy collection of dinlows anywhere in the world. It should come as no surprise from their appearance that most are incredibly thick as well. The fact that on the rare occasions when we do make any noise they can't cope with a song with more than three lines that needs clapping along like coked up seals suggests the problems runs deeper than a few clappers on seats will fix. They say football reflects society well the society sf southampton is in a pretty dark place if crowds at st Mary's are the guage.

I think a good place to start would be to change 90% of our fan base. Our fans look like either a mental hospitals day out or a weight watchers group that have been shop lifting at tk maxx. You'd struggle to find a bigger group of bloated, scruffy collection of dinlows anywhere in the world. It should come as no surprise from their appearance that most are incredibly thick as well. The fact that on the rare occasions when we do make any noise they can't cope with a song with more than three lines that needs clapping along like coked up seals suggests the problems runs deeper than a few clappers on seats will fix. They say football reflects society well the society sf southampton is in a pretty dark place if crowds at st Mary's are the guage.

How many 'syns' have they had?

Agreed, overrated for years now.

People say that every year but they are always the ones that sing most. Their support today was better than we can generate if we combined 10 games worth. Petered out a bit cos they had little to cheer 2nd half.. All clubs are same in that respect.

A few away fans in the Itchen north always helps gee things up a bit

Were the blokes who got thrown out Saints or Man Utd? I'm at the other end so couldn't work out what happened, although I did see loads of stuff being lobbed up towards the boxes above Block 2.

Were the blokes who got thrown out Saints or Man Utd? I'm at the other end so couldn't work out what happened, although I did see loads of stuff being lobbed up towards the boxes above Block 2.

Saints, left all the mancs where they were. Annoyingly there was a steward right next to the box that had a celebrating Utd fan in it and he did **** all. Speaking to a regular Itchen north steward he said they're useless as they're just hired in from G4S so have no clue what they're doing.

Strange. Played a boring 0-0 against Utd last season & got booed of. Lost today and got cheered off. I guess there's more tourists who just want to watch a jolly good game, than people that hate to lose . Also blokes leaving on 87 mins, what's that all about?

You're still struggling to grasp that people don't want to pay to watch boring **** then, I see.

To be fair, it was better than usual yesterday but we were playing Man United, the team played well and we were still in with a chance for the whole game. Even though some 'old skool' fans may not like anything so innovative, the clappers certainly help, and the club know that, which is why they keep dishing them out. If you can make 4 times as much noise with a pair of clappers as with a pair of hands, then why the hell not?

You're still struggling to grasp that people don't want to pay to watch boring **** then, I see.

Let's be fair the football this season has been generally as poor as the football was the end of last season yet so far we've sold out all our home games so it seems people are happy to pay to watch boring football...

United's support was so poor in the second half. Plus they sing knick knack paddy whack give a dog a bone?? Resident forum hard man and jailbird Turkish would have a field day repeating his same worn out jokes denigrating our support if someone here came up with rubbish like that.

The same one we used to sing in the 80s about Pompey running home you mean?

For reasons of money and geography, I've never had a season ticket, but I understand you can choose your seat location when you buy it.

Surely, it's not beyond the wit of man (person) for the season ticket holders on this forum who like to make some noise/sing/chant etc to agree on a section of the stadium for a 'kop' atmosphere starting next season and agree to all pick seats around there when you renew your season tickets next summer.

...or is it more complicated than I'm assuming?

Wonder why no one else has thought about this ,my wife and i bought tickets for the home game against Newcastle and as long as we were both sat together we picked where we wanted to go.

Hand out song sheets???? It's not Songs of Praise FFS!!!

1.Halve ticket prices

2.Reintroduce standing

3.Ban women.

4.Make it easier to get beer/spirits before during and after games.

5.Stop banning people for being 'lively'.

:lol: The tone of the overall post makes me think this isn't a joke, which is somewhat worrying...! What next, ban the Japanese?

People say that every year but they are always the ones that sing most. Their support today was better than we can generate if we combined 10 games worth. Petered out a bit cos they had little to cheer 2nd half.. All clubs are same in that respect.

Chelsea have been louder than them recently.

The club not vetting corporate buyers for United/ Liverpool/ Arsenal etc causes problems EVERY time in the Itchen North. I witnessed the whole thing, box at back of block 3 went crazy as United scored, fella went over from block 2, climbed up to the box and put one on the mouthiest of the United lot. Few clackers thrown in the box but that was it. Obviously the only people thrown out were Saints fans and season ticket holders I see every week. The day trippers in the box left well alone. Money talks. Probably get a banning order as well down to the Club failing miserably to sort out the box situation. This happens at EVERY home game against the top 3/ 4.

On another note the club have destroyed the atmosphere in the Itchen North by setting up block 3 as some sort of travel club section. Loads of Japanese tourists and other random foreigners in half and half scarves filming the match on their iPads (2 people literally 5 seats away from me doing this for most of the second half, bizarre behaviour frankly). Season Ticket holders having problems as young kids and parents been sold tickets in an area where everyone has stood for years trying to get people thrown out. Block 3 also seems to be the place the club put player's mates and ticket office staff (empty seats first half, full of Saints tracksuit top wearing staffers second half), none make any effort to get involved in the game and instead sit around moaning they can't get signal on their ****ing phones...

How to solve this? Get on board with Safe Standing. Easy PR win for the club and great for fans. Absolute no brainer.

:lol: The tone of the overall post makes me think this isn't a joke, which is somewhat worrying...! What next, ban the Japanese?

you say that like the idea would be banning them because of their sex or race rather than banning them because of the overwhelming likelihood that their typical behaviour would contribute to diluting the desired atmosphere below an acceptable level.

obviously it's not fair or practical to ban people based on behaviour of the overwhelming majority of their subset of the species, but it's a fair observation.

you say that like the idea would be banning them because of their sex or race rather than banning them because of the overwhelming likelihood that their typical behaviour would contribute to diluting the desired atmosphere below an acceptable level.

obviously it's not fair or practical to ban people based on behaviour of the overwhelming majority of their subset of the species, but it's a fair observation.

Given the title of the thread, I (perhaps mistakenly) assumed it was for fairly serious suggestions on what the club or the fans could do to improve the atmosphere (rather than listing possible reasons for why it's not so good any more). I therefore thought the idea of banning half the world's population from the stadium was not only a little extreme, but also highly unlikely to happen.