Saints 0 Man Utd 1 - Reactions

St Chalet

Just back from the game.

Deserved a point out of that. Very good performance second half, bar the usually struggle to get the ball over the line. Got into some dangerous positions though.

Lemina man of the match again.

The ref never gave us any benefit of the doubt decisions.

I'm contemplating joining the "how does Redmond manage to stay on for the whole game" club. He would be much better as an impact sub at the moment IMO.

We're a Mané-esque player short of being an excellent side.

Disappointed with the result but content with the overall performance, the lack of finishing aside of course.

Edited by trousers

That was a game that we could easily have won with the number of chances we created, had we possessed the strikers on the pitch with the ability to convert them. From just before the half time whistle to the end of the match, I doubt that there are many teams recently who have made United look so ordinary. We were all over them like a rash, causing Mourinho to bring on defensive players and for United to indulge in a cynical catalogue of falling over at the merest touch and feigning injuries to break up our momentum. And then the dirty bastards weren't above dishing out a series of fouls on our players hoping to slow them down with injuries, so they were shown several yellow cards. but because it is United, no reds.

Quite why a team like theirs, full of international stars, has to indulge in such cheating and gamesmanship is beyond me. Mourinho probably coaches it into them, which is a shame.

I have no doubt that as is typical of MOTD when United are featured, we will see mainly the handful of half chances from them and won't see the succession of chances that we created when we had their backs against the wall and laid siege to their box.

There were some very good performances from our players who put in a real shift particularly in the second half. Lemina impressed once again and the partnership with Romeu is becoming formidable. Despite the absence of Van Dijk, the defence was tight, with Hoedt slotting in nicely again, although the long diagonal passes against Palace weren't much in evidence today. Once though, he ran deep into United territory, ball at his feet, made a decent pass into the box, reminding me of Van Dijk. Long did what he does best, made a bloody nuisance of himself and made them defend deeper in case he received the ball over the top with his pace. Tadic also had a very good game, showing several neat touches and some class in his movement and distribution. I do wonder though whether Davis and Long aren't in fact quite similar players, so that Davis could be replaced by Long just in front of midfield, with an extra striker up front.

Despite a very positive performance against a top team, it is no good putting them on the rack if we are unable to score the goals that gain the points. Surely Van Dijk is not far from returning, so that we can play three in the back, five across the middle and two up top.

The referee missed a stonewall free kick on the edge of their box when Jones blatantly pushed Romeu and I have a strong suspicion that the lino on our left in the first half missed a couple of offsides against them.And then the referee was ridiculous in the last minutes of the game allowing United to feign injuries and cheat away the time whilst breaking up our momentum. It really is long overdue for a clock to be introduced which is stopped for injuries and substitutions, and other occasions when play is stopped. That would put paid to this cynical gamesmanship once and for all.

Unfortunately I was not able to see or hear the game.

I would guess, however, that Mourinho deliberately got himself sent off to waste time. He will do ANYTHING to win.

And the ref was very happy to help him out by not stopping the clock for the substitution or the time during the sending off and STILL blowing up before the 4 mins!

decent 1st half, united were not that good at all

I thought we were outstanding 2nd half bar threatening the goal and we had a couple of excellent chances.

Mourinho just had to keep piling on the defensive players.

Such a shame we never got at least a point, which we would have totally deserved.

Then again, we are woeful up front.

When will VvD actually play???

Lemina will be linked with everyone by the end of the season

fecking awesome player

Agreed, Lemina best player on pitch.

United poor, time wasting, negative, how the f**k was only 4 mins added on at end? Joke. We wouldn't have scored anyway. Don't stretch teams or get in behind opposition defences. Austin was poor when he came on.

Are you actually for real????? Or a Pompey fan in disguise??? I'm assuming you were not at the game then, cos what I saw was pathetic. De Gea will not have an easier game all season

The doubt about who was not at the game falls squarely on your shoulders. What is pathetic, is your opinion that we were pathetic. We dominated them for around 55 minutes. Apart from not scoring, hardly anybody without some sort of agenda will have come away from the match thinking that we didn't put in a good performance against a top side. Yeah, their defending was so good that Mourinho's subs were all defensive.

decent 1st half, united were not that good at all

I thought we were outstanding 2nd half bar threatening the goal and we had a couple of excellent chances.

Mourinho just had to keep piling on the defensive players.

Such a shame we never got at least a point, which we would have totally deserved.

Then again, we are woeful up front.

When will VvD actually play???

Lemina will be linked with everyone by the end of the season

fecking awesome player

Get him on a 10 year contract now Uncle Les

I can't see anything encouraging from continued failure to score or even look like scoring. Yeah in isolation it was fine, good effort etc. But it's not isolation is it, our record against the top 6 has imploded in the last year and our goal threat is embarrassing now.

Heads dropped instantly when we went 1 down. Can't fault their effort but I don't think they believed they'd equalise. Got to find a way to change it. If we'd lost 2-3 I'd consider that progress given our problems. United were really poor today, there for the taking. Even a really poor Stoke side took advantage of them more.

I can handle being rubbish or losing games but we are just so, so painfully boring.

That's ****ing nonsense.

The lack of goal threat started last season and will take time to rectify.

By the looks of things though, Long, Tadic, Lemina and Romeu (along with back 5) are looking very very good.

I'd far rather have a basis like this to build on where MP figures out his best 11 than spontaneous one off good performances.

Either way it's a **** result for the way we played, and we didn't score which is a ****ing ballache.

So Herrera gets booked for kicking the ball away a fraction late....yet Jones does the same thing & when the ball is out if play& the ref does nothing!!???

The standard of referres get no better does it!

I only heard the second half on R5, as I was driving, but there was a point where one of our players went down, and the commentators said that had the ref given the foul then the Man U player would have had to be red carded. I immediately said to my wife that there was no way the ref would ever send a Man U player off in that situation as he would be afraid of Jose's post match theatrics.

****ed all over them, utter robbery that they got the 3 points off us.

Some losses ruin the whole weekend, but this isn't one of them.

I'm feeling the same about today's game. I was ****ing grumpy all weekend after the Watford loss.

There were lots of good signs in the second half the way we bossed them and pretty much forced Mourinho to park the bus and rely on the counter. Lemina looks great in possession and showed quite a bit of steel when dealing with Fellaini. He needs to work on his passing though. Even Redmond improved after a poor first half.

As I suggested, we're better with Long upfront as a short term option, pain to play against and keeps things lively. But he's not the long term option, and our creative options upfront are going to plague us all season.

Long was **** poor for most of the game running around a bit doesn't make up for he's total lack of ability to trap a ball, pass or shoot did he even have an attempt on goal? I still think Gabbi is our most naturally talented stiker we just need to coach the rest of the team to read his runs and play the correct balls for him.

Played well today, unlucky not to get a point. Scoring is obviously still the problem.

We have a serious lack of options in the three positions behind the striker, need to change formation because I think Long, Austin and Gabbi are all better suited to two up front. None of them are a Pelle or Lambert.

Long was **** poor for most of the game running around a bit doesn't make up for he's total lack of ability to trap a ball, pass or shoot did he even have an attempt on goal? I still think Gabbi is our most naturally talented stiker we just need to coach the rest of the team to read his runs and play the correct balls for him.

Problem with Long is that even when he doesn't actually do much with the ball he is extremely effective in making runs, pulling defenders out of position, winning balls he doesn't seem to have any chance of getting to and annoying the opposition.

If he could finish he'd be an amazing player.

I can't see anything encouraging from continued failure to score or even look like scoring. Yeah in isolation it was fine, good effort etc. But it's not isolation is it, our record against the top 6 has imploded in the last year and our goal threat is embarrassing now.

Heads dropped instantly when we went 1 down. Can't fault their effort but I don't think they believed they'd equalise. Got to find a way to change it. If we'd lost 2-3 I'd consider that progress given our problems. United were really poor today, there for the taking. Even a really poor Stoke side took advantage of them more.

I can handle being rubbish or losing games but we are just so, so painfully boring.

Embarrassing pal. Even Batman is being rational. Tart.

Well I must have been at a different St Mary's today then. A truly pathetic home performance, AGAIN. We wouldn't have scored if we played til midnight. I believe we have the players but have a completely clueless manager that is totally out of his depth. Imagine United leaving their best 2 goalscorers on the bench??? But we leave proven goalscorers in Manolo & Charlie on the bench? ****ing crazy. We never tested De Gea in the whole game. United never got out of 1st gear

I bet whoever sat near you thought you an annoying cnt. Hate fans like you.

Couldn't see the game as at a wedding. Did we play well in the 2nd half and force utd back or was the fact they chose to sit back the part that allowed us to play well? I ask because when Watford pressed us we were utterly dominated but we've always looked ok when not getting closed down

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lots of positives, but concerns too. The main positive for me, following the horrors of Wolves and Watford, is that MP is starting to have an impact on style of play and I thought we were very good second half. The crowd appreciated the players' efforts after the game and Jose has been very complimentary about us. Even Redmond performed second half!

The concern, as is obvious, is that for the second consecutive season we have not replaced Pelle and Mane with anything like similar players. Both Redmond and Gabby are sensible acquisitions but neither are the target man that was Pelle or the raw pace that was Mane. The latter I accept is harder to replace, but we lack someone to hold the ball up and be an outlet ball who can create chances by knock on headers a la Lambert and Pelle.

As such I can't really see us scoring more than 40 or so goals this season which was the fundamental reason that Puel was sacked, so it would seem. I am very happy with the other departments but we really need a target man (doesn't need to be prolific, but can create chances too) and a goalscoring attacking midfielder. Until this happens we will continue to struggle for goals.

He simply wasn't. His control was excellent, he ran down balls no-one else would have got near and scared the sh!t out of their defence. We just need Gabbiadini instead of Redmond to link with his great work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

First half we were average but second we were excellent only wish we had an out and out striker that could score, United fans were the same as they were at Wembley went very quiet midway through the second half when we were on top.

Would an out and out striker actually make any difference - other than Gabbi's goal against Wham - i dont think I have seen either Long or Gabbi have a chance to miss. The problem is Davis , Romeu and Lemina are so deep and dont support the striker and Redmond and Tadic are out wide so no a threat on goal

we really need to sort out positioning to make more chances

Absolutely no point judging Long on attempts on goal. He's not our ideal solution Long term, but better than what we were doing before.

I think Redmond works very hard for the team, but it's definitely time to replace him with Gabbiadini and see how that goes.

Edited by Sour Mash

Absolutely no point judging Long on attempts on goal. He's not our solution, but better than what we were doing before.

I think Redmond works very hard for the team, but it's definitely time to replace him with Gabbiadini and see how that goes.

totally agree...I would have gabby wide, supporting Long and have Tadic/Redmond fight it out for one spot

MP reactions anyway.....

Felt we deserved more however, we have to score and we must improve

we played really well for most parts against a very big side

this was the future for us in terms of performance

we will win more than we lose with that sort of performance

it was a good game to see how good we could be

but we are disappointed with the result

we pushed hard, we never gave up and we pushed them back

we have to push on

we have to score goals, it is the most important thing in football

They will come, I believe that

our conclusion is that this is the level we need to be at, with good spirit.

we have another test next week, we are now on the right track with what I want from the team

Edited by Batman

Are you actually for real????? Or a Pompey fan in disguise??? I'm assuming you were not at the game then, cos what I saw was pathetic. De Gea will not have an easier game all season
I've read some serious b0ll0cks on here over the years, but that's almost certainly the worst.

Well I must have been at a different St Mary's today then. A truly pathetic home performance, AGAIN. We wouldn't have scored if we played til midnight. I believe we have the players but have a completely clueless manager that is totally out of his depth. Imagine United leaving their best 2 goalscorers on the bench??? But we leave proven goalscorers in Manolo & Charlie on the bench? ****ing crazy. We never tested De Gea in the whole game. United never got out of 1st gear
Total gibberish.

Would an out and out striker actually make any difference - other than Gabbi's goal against Wham - i dont think I have seen either Long or Gabbi have a chance to miss. The problem is Davis , Romeu and Lemina are so deep and dont support the striker and Redmond and Tadic are out wide so no a threat on goal

we really need to sort out positioning to make more chances

Austin is an 'out and out striker that can score ', but he's not the answer for us.

That ****ing cheat Jose. We had a corner right at the death and the egotistical **** held that up by going and shaking the hands of everyone on the front row of the Saints bench. ****.

****, would have been nice if we’d scored from that corner, so many times over the years a team has got one at the death agsinst us. We just couldn’t make it count. We just don’t score from corners I guess.