Saints 0 Man Utd 1 - Reactions

St Chalet

Manchester United have asked for CCTV footage to help identify fans who sang a controversial song about striker Romelu Lukaku during Saturday's win at Southampton.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41374186

can't say I even noticed maybe because all the words to their songs were drowned out by endless fast clapping...

its a stupid song ,stereotypic about men of a certain colour. I don't expect Lukaku likes the song either

its a stupid song ,stereotypic about men of a certain colour. I don't expect Lukaku likes the song either

It rhymes with genius.....there aren't any references to colour/ethnicity though are there? Far far worse is sung at football grounds. They should focus on the homophobic stuff and leave this total non-story.

It rhymes with genius.....there aren't any references to colour/ethnicity though are there? Far far worse is sung at football grounds. They should focus on the homophobic stuff and leave this total non-story.

I remember when it was suggest that Ji-sung Park would eat dog in his home country.

not a peep then..but that was only a few years ago and people did not get as offended as easily

I remember when it was suggest that Ji-sung Park would eat dog in his home country.

not a peep then..but that was only a few years ago and people did not get as offended as easily

And were they implying all Serbians are murderers with the Vidic song?

It was a very good performance - much better than any of us expected. I think most of us would have considered anything better than a 2+ goal defeat a good result, which is what recent performances against the likes of Watford and Wolves Reserves had led us to expect. In Lemina we have at last bought a player who doesn't appear to be a waste of money. It's been a while since our halcyon days in the transfer market when we bought players like Mane and Wanyama. Hoedt looks OK. He can tackle, head the ball, intercept and has good positioning sense but he is slow and can't pass.

Stikers have favourite opposition teams who they always score against. After his performance in the EFL Cup Final, Gabbiadini should have started. The rest of the team need to be taught to play the ball through to him at every opportunity. On the one occasion the ball was slipped through to him on the edge of the penalty area he very nearly created a goal. Too often the rest of the players pass the ball sideways, backwards and mostly out to the wings rather than through the middle to Gabbiadini, the one player most likely to score.

Overall, United seemed taken aback at what tough opposition we were as they'd obviously been expecting a very easy victory, even more so after scoring fairly early in the game. Credit to our players, especially Lemina and Romeu, for giving them such a tough match. But, we need a goal scorer, as a string of 0-1 defeats and 0-0 draws ultimately won't be good enough. Last January, Gabbiadini was bought to solve our goal scoring problem so the team's tactics need to be built around him, which means more balls played on the ground through the middle, other players combining with him for one-twos, and fewer balls played out to the wings for high crosses or attempts to win corners.

Lively performance which is positive but bottom line is still no goals and again no points. Don't know if the manager is stubborn or scared but it's groundhog day again.

To play 1 up front when this has constantly failed to deliver and the 1 up front is a player that hardly scores, a goalless performance almost guaranteed.

Defence looks solid whilst attack looks powder puff so how about playing 3 CBs, 2 up front and 5 in mid? Austin gets stick on here about looking sluggish but if you hardly play the guy how does anyone expect him to get match fit?

MP's fear\intransigence is going to cost him and us unless he shakes it up.

I just can't understand the logic of putting Long upfront. His skill is his speed from midfield to unsettle defences creating opportunities for goal scorers..

It was a very good performance - much better than any of us expected. I think most of us would have considered anything better than a 2+ goal defeat a good result, which is what recent performances against the likes of Watford and Wolves Reserves had led us to expect. In Lemina we have at last bought a player who doesn't appear to be a waste of money. It's been a while since our halcyon days in the transfer market when we bought players like Mane and Wanyama. Hoedt looks OK. He can tackle, head the ball, intercept and has good positioning sense but he is slow and can't pass.

Stikers have favourite opposition teams who they always score against. After his performance in the EFL Cup Final, Gabbiadini should have started. The rest of the team need to be taught to play the ball through to him at every opportunity. On the one occasion the ball was slipped through to him on the edge of the penalty area he very nearly created a goal. Too often the rest of the players pass the ball sideways, backwards and mostly out to the wings rather than through the middle to Gabbiadini, the one player most likely to score.

Overall, United seemed taken aback at what tough opposition we were as they'd obviously been expecting a very easy victory, even more so after scoring fairly early in the game. Credit to our players, especially Lemina and Romeu, for giving them such a tough match. But, we need a goal scorer, as a string of 0-1 defeats and 0-0 draws ultimately won't be good enough. Last January, Gabbiadini was bought to solve our goal scoring problem so the team's tactics need to be built around him, which means more balls played on the ground through the middle, other players combining with him for one-twos, and fewer balls played out to the wings for high crosses or attempts to win corners.

I agree, and we don't only need a goal scoring figurehead. We still need midfielders to break out of Puel's defensive sideways/backwards conditioning and support whichever striker is attacking. Players need to to be more predatory in their tactics.

What's Graziano Pelle up to at the momenr?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes, it really was dumb to sell both Mane and Pelle at the same time last year. We should have kept one or other until a suitable replacement was signed, maintaining continuity and reputation as a goalscoring team. It wasn't just fabulous strikers that we lost. but the know-how and tactics that went with them.

We'll get there eventually, but it will take time, and an effective January signing.

I agree, and we don't only need a goal scoring figurehead. We still need midfielders to break out of Puel's defensive sideways/backwards conditioning and support whichever striker is attacking. Players need to to be more predatory in their tactics.

I think Mope has had enough time to coach that out of them if he wanted to change things.....

I think Mope has had enough time to coach that out of them if he wanted to change things.....

Think it's harder than you think. He seemed to be saying that the second half was better but they still weren't quite doing what he is asking them to do in his post match interview.

I think it was because we scored less goals than UTD. I cannot fathom how nobody has mentioned how appalling Forster was for that goal.

He looked like an upturned turtle as the goal was going in the net, with all four legs going in the air. The agility of a deep sea diver with all his gear on at 60 fathoms.

I'm not a Forster fan, and I think he's been mediocre this season and last, but you're wrong in this case. It was a great reflex save and there was no way he was going to recover from that in time to get anywhere near the 2nd shot.

The only players possibly at fault for the goal are Tadic for failing to prevent Young's cross, Hoedt for not being strong enough against Lukaku (then again, how many defenders are? and he was also probably fouled), and Yoshida for marking space and being nowhere near any Utd attackers when the cross came in.

I think it was because we scored less goals than UTD. I cannot fathom how nobody has mentioned how appalling Forster was for that goal.

He looked like an upturned turtle as the goal was going in the net, with all four legs going in the air. The agility of a deep sea diver with all his gear on at 60 fathoms.

Now there's stupid and there is utterly stupid, guess which one the quoted post falls in to

Forster had no chance

Haven't been through this thread to see if anyone else has commented on this, but there was an arguable case for a free kick to Saints just before the United goal. The highlights show that Hoedt was close marking Lukaku before the cross from Young at which Lukaku grabbed Hoedt with both hands and physically pushed him out of the way. Make of it what you like.

Yes, it really was dumb to sell both Mane and Pelle at the same time last year. We should have kept one or other until a suitable replacement was signed, maintaining continuity and reputation as a goalscoring team. It wasn't just fabulous strikers that we lost. but the know-how and tactics that went with them.

We'll get there eventually, but it will take time, and an effective January signing.

The sums of money being thrown at Pelle made it impossible to sell him.

I seem to recall that on here at the time, the over-riding feeling was that if he had a chance to make that much money, then good luck to him.

Romeu absolutely dominant throughout the game, clear MOTM. Lemina had some fantastic runs but did give the ball away sometimes in dangerous positions; such an exciting player though!

Redmond utterly fantastic 2nd half; played so many dangerous passes into the box and created a few decent chances for himself. Must be pretty tough having to carry all of our good attacking play whilst still having fans demanding you're dropped, but I guess that's what it's like to be the scapegoat of the season. Long, Gabbiadini and Austin all seem out of form but Long provides us with something extra so can understand why he's being started.

Just hope Gabbiadini can rediscover some of his pre-injury form. He looks an utter shadow of himself and has done since then.

Romeu absolutely dominant throughout the game, clear MOTM. Lemina had some fantastic runs but did give the ball away sometimes in dangerous positions; such an exciting player though!

Redmond utterly fantastic 2nd half; played so many dangerous passes into the box and created a few decent chances for himself. Must be pretty tough having to carry all of our good attacking play whilst still having fans demanding you're dropped, but I guess that's what it's like to be the scapegoat of the season. Long, Gabbiadini and Austin all seem out of form but Long provides us with something extra so can understand why he's being started.

Just hope Gabbiadini can rediscover some of his pre-injury form. He looks an utter shadow of himself and has done since then.

To be fair, before this second half where he was indeed fantastic, Redmond had been utterly diabolical. He looked a different player in that 45; one who was willing to be brave and take the initiative in attack, rather than play the easy pass every time or hit a long shot without assessing his options fully, which is what he'd been doing most of the time this season.

Redmond "utterly fantastic" 2nd half, seriously? He did improve slightly on the first half and previous performances but that was starting from a very low base. IMO he should be nowhere near the first 11.

Redmond "utterly fantastic" 2nd half, seriously? He did improve slightly on the first half and previous performances but that was starting from a very low base. IMO he should be nowhere near the first 11.

He creates more chances for himself AND other players than any other Southampton player.

Like him or not, he's our best attacking outlet right now.

You know what 'fantastic' means right ? Is Redmond a friend of yours ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

He creates more chances for himself AND other players than any other Southampton player.

Like him or not, he's our best attacking outlet right now.

He just isn't. Our defensive midfielders looked more dangerous going forwards. Labelling someone as a scapegoat for the season doesn't excuse the fact that he's s**t. Players get singled out and commented on for good reason.

Judging by your opinion, I'm going to assume you're a mate of his or something as there's just no way you can describe his performance as 'utterly fantastic' unless you have some kind of personal connection.

He just isn't. Our defensive midfielders looked more dangerous going forwards. Labelling someone as a scapegoat for the season doesn't excuse the fact that he's s**t. Players get singled out and commented on for good reason.

Judging by your opinion, I'm going to assume you're a mate of his or something as there's just no way you can describe his performance as 'utterly fantastic' unless you have some kind of personal connection.

You judge Oldeuboi using the word "fantastic" and then use an equally wrong word like s h it, he is`nt either...

You judge Oldeuboi using the word "fantastic" and then use an equally wrong word like s h it, he is`nt either...

Redmond is an average midfield player, not a forward. I'd regard him as a squad player but not a first choice starter for league games. He's been played out of position here as a token striker and never really been happy in that position. He's got into a bad habit of running away from the penalty area into a corner and then looking to pass the ball backwards. At Norwich he ran through from deeper back and scored with a few long-range shots. I'd like to see him trying a few more like that. He might one day develop into a decent replacement for Steven Davis but it was always unfair to expect him to replace Mane and develop into the next Thierry Henry.

First half they were better than us but still felt that when we did actually go forward, we managed to get behind them pretty easily although the final ball was awful. We seemed to stand well off them when they had the ball and allowed them to pass the ball around at will. Second half, jesus, what a transformation. Lemina grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and seemed to realise he was actually better than anybody in their midfield and his performance seemed to rub off on everybody else. My brother supports Utd and before the game I had said they wouldn't bully us and it would be their first real test of the season. I'm of the belief that our back 6 (especially when VvD is back and not including Forster in that) is as good as anybody but its been a while since I saw us "dominate" the ball against a genuine top 6 side. Romeu and Lemina were outstanding that second half. Yes we gave a couple of chances away on the break but that was to be expected but most of the second balls were picked up and I am sure I even saw Redmond run at his man (and beat him) at one point.

I don't like one up front (well, with the players we have anyway) but felt we played some good stuff and did create chances (Romeu's scuffed shot after some lovely football, a corner which fell to somebody who blazed wide from just outside the 6 yard box), Tadic and Cedric linking up will down the right and completely nullifying Rashford from an attacking sense, Long bundled over by Jones, Redmond's shot) and felt we deserved at least a draw. Weirdly was more annoyed with this game than the EFL final as thought we controlled more of this. As then though, the difference is the striker. Not Lukaku's biggest fan but can't argue with taking 1 out of 2 chances. Should have brought Gabi on earlier and if we are putting that many crosses in the box against this side, then change Redmond/Long for Austin (or even VvD). It made little sense to keep putting those crosses in without somebody to aim at with the height they had.

Seems like its been a while since I've been confident that our main midfielders will hold their own against pretty much anybody in the league. The back 6 look solid, time to play around with the front 4 and find a formation that works. I'm not even sure we need 3 in midfield with Lemina - he could be our Kante against some of the weaker teams. I wouldn't be averse to seeing 4-4-2 at some point (covers head and waits for abuse).