Saints 0 Man Utd 1 - Reactions

St Chalet

decent 1st half, united were not that good at all

I thought we were outstanding 2nd half bar threatening the goal and we had a couple of excellent chances.

Mourinho just had to keep piling on the defensive players.

Such a shame we never got at least a point, which we would have totally deserved.

Then again, we are woeful up front.

When will VvD actually play???

Lemina will be linked with everyone by the end of the season

fecking awesome player

Edited by Batman

Decent enough performance, but we can't shoot for toffee. Missed some decent chances and if you don't score, you ain't going to get much from any game, let alone against Man Ure.

Bringing on Virgil with 10 minutes to go would have made it interesting too, what with his aerial presence in an attacking sense. Encouraging signs though.

4 extra minutes... 3 of which were a substitution and Jose's sending off.

This. Terrible by the ref! Would never happened if united was chasing the lead.

Good performance, deserved at least a point! Think it was a push on Hoedt before Lukakus goal so feels extremely harsh to loose.

Only saw the 2nd half.

We were very good, pressed, and moved te ball quicker, the only real flaw was Tadic and Cedric kept winning corners, rather than beating the man near post.

A lot more bodies in the box, which was good. If Romeu's effort from that corner had been scuffed more, Long would have had a tap in, although I have seen him miss tap ins before ...

I can't see anything encouraging from continued failure to score or even look like scoring. Yeah in isolation it was fine, good effort etc. But it's not isolation is it, our record against the top 6 has imploded in the last year and our goal threat is embarrassing now.

Heads dropped instantly when we went 1 down. Can't fault their effort but I don't think they believed they'd equalise. Got to find a way to change it. If we'd lost 2-3 I'd consider that progress given our problems. United were really poor today, there for the taking. Even a really poor Stoke side took advantage of them more.

I can handle being rubbish or losing games but we are just so, so painfully boring.

seeing as we got better (by some distance) as the game went on. I think you are talking hysterical shyte

Exceptional display by Saints. Drove Jose into parking the bus, bringing on a stream of defensive players.

Deserved at least a draw. Lukaku outmuscling the otherwise very good hoedt the difference.

Lemina is really quality. Dancing past those united lunges at the end was phenomenal.

Thought Tadic and Redmond were very good 2nd half.

Not sure how Long didn't get a fk in 2nd half he got in front of Jones who proceeded to bundle him over.

Not sure we should have brought JWP & Austin on to be honest. think it disrupted more than helped.

I can't see anything encouraging from continued failure to score or even look like scoring. Yeah in isolation it was fine, good effort etc. But it's not isolation is it, our record against the top 6 has imploded in the last year and our goal threat is embarrassing now.

Heads dropped instantly when we went 1 down. Can't fault their effort but I don't think they believed they'd equalise. Got to find a way to change it. If we'd lost 2-3 I'd consider that progress given our problems. United were really poor today, there for the taking. Even a really poor Stoke side took advantage of them more.

I can handle being rubbish or losing games but we are just so, so painfully boring.

This gamle was quite entertaining especially second half against a team top of the league. No reason to sulk/complain based on this performance IMO.

4 extra minutes... 3 of which were a substitution and Jose's sending off.

This. I know we shouldn't be relying on scoring in the 95th minute of a game, but I'm so fcking angry at the ref for this. Jose's antics clearly a way to run the clock down and surprise, surprise, it worked. 4 minutes in the first place, given Jones' head injury, were a joke.

Compared to last week against Palace, 5 minutes despite no obvious reason why other than subs, then an extra minute added just because we made 1 sub.

As for the performance, I thought this would be a true marker of where we are and am encouraged that we outplayed United (even if they were perhaps happy to defend a lead) for the entire second half. Not being able to score, again... well that's frustrating of course, but we were creating a bit more - how we didn't do better from the chances we had I don't know.

Edited by mrfahaji

Tosh !

I explained it but I'll try again because you're a simpleton. We dropped off when they scored and did nothing for quite a while after. That was the first half. We came out and improved in the second half, but IMO, never really believed we'd score.

HTH.

but we got better....or are you just saying heads dropped for about a minute?

I cant see anyone agreeing with you either so far

Better side lost. Long had a good game: we seem more confident about mixing play up and going direct when he’s in the side. Redmond looked very dangerous in the second half while Lemina bossed their midfield yet has still room to grow and improve.

Nothing to convince me that United aren’t just an expensively assembled brick-shît house side. Pretty poor reflection on the state of league if they’re considered favourites for the title.

Anyway plenty of positives, though we did also say that after the opener against Swansea...

Only saw the 2nd half.

We were very good, pressed, and moved te ball quicker, the only real flaw was Tadic and Cedric kept winning corners, rather than beating the man near post.

A lot more bodies in the box, which was good. If Romeu's effort from that corner had been scuffed more, Long would have had a tap in, although I have seen him miss tap ins before ...

I thought Long could have got to Romeu's shot; he seemed to lose concentration and didn't follow up.

Don't think it's the strikers - team clearly being coached to be ultra defensive - we do not commit enough players forewards so never seem to get that 'lucky bounce' but it's simply that we are heavily outnumbered.Can't see us scoring very often but we will get enough 1-0 and 0-0 to be mid table.

A tad negative after that 2nd half performance Adrian. We were our usual painfully boring selves in the first half but - to my surprise - looked far more threatening in the 2nd half against a team who many have tipped as potential title winners. Frustrating (extremely) again that we still couldn't score but that 2nd half definitely offers hope. I don't think United will win the league by the way, flattering to deceive at the moment, very lucky to win that today.

Not too unhappy, even though we lost.

Starting to feel like a team that wants to win...and not afraid to take some risks to do so.

Redmond took on some players a few times and actually managed to get into some decent crossing position, this is what he must keep doing.

Tadic went central when Davis went off and he seemed to more influential... still feel he's only giving us 80%

Mario and Oriol - greet pairing, bossed the game and yep... Mario looks like a true gem... wow.

Defence, including Forster weren't bad at all. What would having a fit and fired up VvD bring? Maybe the ability for Cedric and Bertrand to bomb forward even harder?

Long tried hard but was too isolated in first half...

Second half was better and, at last, we had 20ish minutes with a front two..

Was a bit desperate though and still wondering what would have happened if we'd had 90mins with 2 up front... (at least a goal...)

Love Davis but we have Boufal as a natural attacking midfield or even Tadic.

7.5/10

Outplayed for long portions the team many pundits are calling nailed on Champions.

Much improved, team should be proud, shame about the result.

Well I must have been at a different St Mary's today then. A truly pathetic home performance, AGAIN. We wouldn't have scored if we played til midnight. I believe we have the players but have a completely clueless manager that is totally out of his depth. Imagine United leaving their best 2 goalscorers on the bench??? But we leave proven goalscorers in Manolo & Charlie on the bench? ****ing crazy. We never tested De Gea in the whole game. United never got out of 1st gear

Better side lost. Long had a good game: we seem more confident about mixing play up and going direct when he’s in the side. Redmond looked very dangerous in the second half while Lemina bossed their midfield yet has still room to grow and improve.

Nothing to convince me that United aren’t just an expensively assembled brick-shît house side. Pretty poor reflection on the state of league if they’re considered favourites for the title.

Anyway plenty of positives, though we did also say that after the opener against Swansea...

Are you actually for real????? Or a Pompey fan in disguise??? I'm assuming you were not at the game then, cos what I saw was pathetic. De Gea will not have an easier game all season

Are you actually for real????? Or a Pompey fan in disguise??? I'm assuming you were not at the game then, cos what I saw was pathetic. De Gea will not have an easier game all season

We often got behind them and worked some very decent positions. In short, we were much more dangerous than them. Now wind your neck in. You’re embarrassing yourself pal.

Jesus Christ, calm down mate. Yes it was frustrating (very) not to score again but we were good 2nd half, totally dominating a (supposed) title favourite. It will come good if we keep playing like that.

Well I must have been at a different St Mary's today then. A truly pathetic home performance, AGAIN. We wouldn't have scored if we played til midnight. I believe we have the players but have a completely clueless manager that is totally out of his depth. Imagine United leaving their best 2 goalscorers on the bench??? But we leave proven goalscorers in Manolo & Charlie on the bench? ****ing crazy. We never tested De Gea in the whole game. United never got out of 1st gear

Yes you must have been at a different game mate. Absolutely pathetic comments.