Stoke vs Saints Thread

Lighthouse

This, with VVD/Maya still marginal, and Long/Gabbiadini positions interchangeable.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Exactly my thoughts. Crazy that so many people want/see this as the best option and yet I doubt very much we will get it. Fans don't always know best but when there is such an overwhelming consensus surely there must be something in it...

Forster

Cedric VVD Hoedt Bertrand

Romeu Lemina

Long Davis Tadic

Gabbiadini

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Has Hoedt outplayed Yoshida or is he the better option at this moment in time? He still looks pretty raw to me as you'd expect from someone new to the league.

VvD has to start. He is a £75 player. We are not good enough to leave those types out

Cannot believe redmond will start. he is very average to be honest

FF

Cedric

VvD

Hoedt

Bertrand

Rom

Lemon

Tadic

Davis

Gabbi

Long

These players but with Gabbi up top and long out wide.

Think we'd win with that team

What do you mean before Puel didn't pick him? He was first choice up front from the first game of the season!
He was actually a sub for the first four league games, sometimes unused.

He only began to start in the league after he played and scored against Prague in the Europa League due to Puel's rotation policy. That started his decent little run, including a few pens, before being injured.

Puel didn't pick him to start with. Neither did Koeman. Neither has Pellgrino.

He isn't the answer to our troubles. I am not a Long fan, but would select him over Austin and Gabbiadini over both. He scores the types of goals the other two cannot.

Austin was ****e when he came on, fat, slow and with a dire first touch.

No chance he starts, and rightly so.

This constant push by a few on Austin's mobility is getting tiresome. The guy is not a mid, but he's an around the box type striker who has shown he can score in the PL. He moved well enough to be our leading scorer last year even though he only played half the season, and he also scored 18 goals for QPR a few seasons ago (something non of our other strikers have done). He's not a pacey Long who can stretch the play, then again Long can't score like Austin. He is more like a Carrol, Pele, etc. So yes ok, get on him about pace when he has to get to far from the goal, but stop the agenda about making him sound like a plodding horse. He actually makes good runs and puts the ball on the net.

Besides, where has all this wonderful pace gotten us? We still don't score, so what good is it. I want to see a 3 man front, with Austin in the middle and Gabbi and Long on the sides. This can be done in with a few different formations. If we don't score we don't win, period, no matter how "flashy" we look.

This constant push by a few on Austin's mobility is getting tiresome. The guy is not a mid, but he's an around the box type striker who has shown he can score in the PL. He moved well enough to be our leading scorer last year even though he only played half the season, and he also scored 18 goals for QPR a few seasons ago (something non of our other strikers have done). He's not a pacey Long who can stretch the play, then again Long can't score like Austin. He is more like a Carrol, Pele, etc. So yes ok, get on him about pace when he has to get to far from the goal, but stop the agenda about making him sound like a plodding horse. He actually makes good runs and puts the ball on the net.

Besides, where has all this wonderful pace gotten us? We still don't score, so what good is it. I want to see a 3 man front, with Austin in the middle and Gabbi and Long on the sides. This can be done in with a few different formations. If we don't score we don't win, period, no matter how "flashy" we look.

He's nothing like Pelle or Carroll.

Austin is a difficult player to judge because he has no outstanding strengths other than knowing where the goal is really. His physicality is poor, he's not technically gifted, doesn't have much creative vision, and like it or not he isn't particularly mobile. Personally I think he's the weakest of the 3 and although he was our leading goal scorer last season with 9 goals, 4 of them were penalties. Yeah yeah I know they still count, but I disagree with strikers being judged on their goal return with pen's included. Les Reed could probably bang a few in if asked and there's a reason Austin is so keen to grab the ball the moment we get a penalty. So with 5 goals from open play, he's on par with Long for goal return and 1 behind Gabbi (who only had half a season).

I'd be interested to see those 3 start as you suggest. Long and Gabbi's pace either side of Austin could work well and they would both play very directly (which admittedly may limit our play to counter attacking, but possibly not). In my mind, it's the only was to play to Austin's poacher game.

Austin is a difficult player to judge because he has no outstanding strengths other than knowing where the goal is really. His physicality is poor, he's not technically gifted, doesn't have much creative vision, and like it or not he isn't particularly mobile. Personally I think he's the weakest of the 3 and although he was our leading goal scorer last season with 9 goals, 4 of them were penalties. Yeah yeah I know they still count, but I disagree with strikers being judged on their goal return with pen's included. Les Reed could probably bang a few in if asked and there's a reason Austin is so keen to grab the ball the moment we get a penalty. So with 5 goals from open play, he's on par with Long for goal return and 1 behind Gabbi (who only had half a season).

I'd be interested to see those 3 start as you suggest. Long and Gabbi's pace either side of Austin could work well and they would both play very directly (which admittedly may limit our play to counter attacking, but possibly not). In my mind, it's the only was to play to Austin's poacher game.

Considering we missed three pens at the end of last season, two of which would have most likely gained us another 6pts, I think we can safely say taking pens isn't so easy and having a player who can actually take them well is an asset.

They weren't exactly banging in when he played. He had a good little run for 6 games but before Puel didn't pick him, much like Koeman and Pellegrino didn't and haven't.

He would be a great player in the Championship but isnt physically up to PL standard.

If we made him available in January I bet only one or two teams right at the bottom of the PL would even consider him.

Purely on PL goals

Long - 214 PL appearances 44 goals average 1 goal every 4.8 games

Austin 59 PL appearances 26 goals average 1 goal every 2.2 games

Gabby 14 PL appearances 5 goal average 1 goal every 2.8 games

seems the Championship striker is a better goal scorer in the PL than our other strikers Austin doesn't have the all round game of a top PL striker but who cares as long as he actually scores goals. We are at a point in this goal drought that I don't give a **** if our striker stands around doing nothing all game if he scores some actual goals.

We definitely have a line-up favoured by a lot of fans on here. If Pellegrino doesn’t agree he will obviously have his reasons. If he goes with something else, maybe still like last Saturday’s which was praised for the second half, I wonder if we will ever know his reasoning. As the line up isn’t known at the pre-match press conference it can’t be questioned by the media and by the next week all has moved on. It would be interesting to have the manager’s post-match explanation of what his thinking had been, whether it worked or not.

I’m another would like Long retained but out wide with Gabbi up front and that it must be time for Van Dijk to come back.

only done Brentford away and Palace away this season and now going to Stoke for the first time ever, so I've seen Saints score at least! Let's hope that continues!

I've read that the Stoke on Trent station is actually like 40 minute walk away, any other Saints fans gonna do that or is there another preferred way of getting there?

only done Brentford away and Palace away this season and now going to Stoke for the first time ever, so I've seen Saints score at least! Let's hope that continues!

I've read that the Stoke on Trent station is actually like 40 minute walk away, any other Saints fans gonna do that or is there another preferred way of getting there?

There are buses that go up to the ground, or if you are in a group just get a cab. After the game buses are waiting outside the away end.

I walk it, along the canal. Interesting walk if you like post industrial landscape.

Great place for a booze is Stoke, loads of good, cheap pubs dotted about.
The Glebe, towards the stadium from the station, over Queensway, serves local Joules beer. I can recommend very highly. Lots of home fans, but away welcomed too.

The Glebe, towards the stadium from the station, over Queensway, serves local Joules beer. I can recommend very highly. Lots of home fans, but away welcomed too.

Joules is a cracking pint, not quite as good as Titanic though. Both the best Joules & Titanic pubs are actually in Stafford, which is lucky for me.

Joules is a cracking pint, not quite as good as Titanic though. Both the best Joules & Titanic pubs are actually in Stafford, which is lucky for me.

We normally stop at the Titanic pub in Stone before driving the last few miles to the ground. Was a few Saints in there last year.

Hello forum. I'm back after my hissy fit and a holiday - I had a lovely time, thanks for asking.

I can't release the names of the two attacking players we were looking to bring in at the end of the window as they remain active targets for future windows. One deal was being pursued actively until the final day of the window but didn't materialise for a variety of reasons.

Team news ahead of Saturday - I've been told that VVD will start this week.

By the way, although I'm over my hissy fit, those still doubting what I know, I'll just remind you that I told you MP wasn't going to let Long go after the Burnley bid because he rated him. Perhaps that was just a lucky guess too.

Hello forum. I'm back after my hissy fit and a holiday - I had a lovely time, thanks for asking.

I can't release the names of the two attacking players we were looking to bring in at the end of the window as they remain active targets for future windows. One deal was being pursued actively until the final day of the window but didn't materialise for a variety of reasons.

By the way, although I'm over my hissy fit, those still doubting what I know, I'll just remind you that I told you MP wasn't going to let Long go after the Burnley bid because he rated him. Perhaps that was just a lucky guess too.

Tom; keep your own counsel, is a piece of advice I've always found useful.

So, hypothetically, if Vietto was NOT a target, you would be able to say?

NO ONE CARES

NO ONE CARES
Speak for yourself, and don't assume you know what others think.

I appreciate the snippets, incomplete and not 100% accurate as they may be.

What is it with some posters? Always crying out for any inside info, then totally discrediting it if it's not precise chapter and verse of every detail of planned deals. We do our business quietly, which is the way I like it, and that means not much gets out. And things change during negotiations, so there is never perfect information on what will happen. Get real.