Corners

SaveloyMush

Could one of the resident Stattos confirm when Southampton last scored from a corner and how many goals in the last, say, 2 seasons have come from same?

Saints win a lot of corners, it looks to me that Tadic in particular when out wide plays for corners off defenders, why bother if we can't score from the resulting set-piece?

I can’t remember if Austin’s Goal at OT (Jan 2016) was from a free kick or corner. I can vaguely remember Toby getting one. But my mind is drawing a blank for others. I asked the same question in the game thread yesterday.

I thought the stat was one goal from every 11 corners, so we should be getting one every 2-3 games, not seasons.

2011-2013 stats, can't find anything more recent:

The chance that a goal will be scored off a corner kick appears to be roughly 3%.

Michael Caley at the Washington Post recently analyzed a set of nearly 13,000 corners taken in the English Premier League between 2011-2013, finding:

Only 17 percent (2,157) "produced a legitimate shot attempt."

Of those shot attempts, 370 were scores.

Corner Kick Success Rate (data provided by Opta)

Caley links to a study by Chris Anderson and David Sally at Soccer by the Numbers, which showed that EPL teams converted corners between 0-7% during the 2010/11 season, with the average team converting corners into goals at 2.2%. At that rate, the average team would score by corner kick about every 10 games.

ibfIE.png

We're almost certainly squarely within the average range.

Every fan thinks their own club is bad at corners.

Just like every club thinks their own club takes ages to tie up transfers.

They only think that way because they're far more invested in their own club's activity, ie they're aware of transfer rumours earlier (so they seem to drag out longer) and watch more of their own club's corners so see more "failures"

I just think that rather than tapping the ball short or faffing around with it, whip it in at pace and in the right area. Unless i'm being overly simplistic of course.

Isn't that what we try to do most of the time though? Suggests it's either the wrong strategy or we're just not very good at it. I'd say a bit of both - we don't have a particularly big side, and we also take a lot of poor corners. I expect the latter is true for a lot of teams though.