Safe Standing Petition

USA SaintsFan

Looking through the atmosphere thread, it appears that the general consensus is that safe standing would certainly help improve our atmosphere. I am surprised that nobody has yet to mention this, but apparently a petition was started this month for safe standing at St Marys.

https://www.change.org/p/chairman-ralph-krueger-safe-standing-for-southampton-fans-at-st-mary-s-stadium/psf/promote_or_share?share=false

Probably a controversial opinion, but I don't think safe standing will make a blind bit of difference to the atmosphere at St Mary's.

Lets face it, rightly or wrongly, if you want to stand you can and do. If i'm being honest, I can't remember the last time I sat at a football game.

However, if it will improve the safety of fans at games (which I assume is the idea) then it's a no brainier and for that reason I will sign it.

Probably a controversial opinion, but I don't think safe standing will make a blind bit of difference to the atmosphere at St Mary's.

Lets face it, rightly or wrongly, if you want to stand you can and do. If i'm being honest, I can't remember the last time I sat at a football game.

However, if it will improve the safety of fans at games (which I assume is the idea) then it's a no brainier and for that reason I will sign it.

One thing it will eradicate is the same old "sit down in front" which you get when the club sell tickets to day tripping elderly/ young kids (happens weekly in the Itchen North). The idea (and I freely admit this probably won't happen) is also more people in a smaller area (rail seating approx 80% more efficient space wise than seats according to the FSF) should allow cheaper tickets which should be incentivised at 18-29 year olds IMO.

From a safety POV, yes it's a complete no brainer.

It's vastly improved the atmosphere at Celtic Park, and think it would do the same at St Marys.

Signed. Hopefully the reason for few signatures is simply that people don't know about it - maybe posting here will help it gain traction.

May also be down to the server error problems. I may or may not have signed, no idea. Bloody useless server error by change.org, but good to know they are "working hard to fix it" (********).

[Looks like I have signed after all]

Signed it but I agree with the points raised above about it probably making no difference. We stand up from block 2 round to block 38 anyway, and they aren't going to squeeze more of us in as we will still be allocated a spot to stand in. The stadium steps weren't designed to be stood on (not deep enough). This will never happen unfortunately.

Signed it but I agree with the points raised above about it probably making no difference. We stand up from block 2 round to block 38 anyway, and they aren't going to squeeze more of us in as we will still be allocated a spot to stand in. The stadium steps weren't designed to be stood on (not deep enough). This will never happen unfortunately.

If you have the rail at the back of the step (which it needs to be anyway to attach the seat) rather than the front of the step, then there's definitely enough room.

Thank you for your support for my petition.

I have posted this on a separate thread, so apologies for repeating.

---

600 people have signed the petition that I started a few weeks ago.

https://www.change.org/p/chairman-ra...mary-s-stadium

If you haven't signed it already, please sign and share.

I've posted the response from the Chairman today.

I was on BBC Radio Solent recently and the petition was on the front page of the Echo.

Thanks for your support for Safe Standing - first ever in England will probably be at Shrewsbury Town in March 2018, unless another club beats them to it.

I am trying to organise a demonstration of rail seats at St. Mary's. I first saw them in 2012 at a fans conference in London, and was converted. It's taken a long time for the national campaign to get to this stage, but I think we can get it trialled at St. Mary's.

We just need a Premier League club to make a public statement of support. Let's hope it is Southampton.

Best wishes,

Councillor Andrew Pope

I signed this some time ago and I'm amazed it's still only 600 people that have put their name to it to date as it's had a fair bit of publicity. I can't believe so few want to see safe standing but this is probably more a reflection of the kind of the can't-be-bothered support Saints seem to attract, in the same way some struggle to get behind their team from the stands.

Fair play to Andrew Pope in giving it a go.

I signed this some time ago and I'm amazed it's still only 600 people that have put their name to it to date as it's had a fair bit of publicity. I can't believe so few want to see safe standing but this is probably more a reflection of the kind of the can't-be-bothered support Saints seem to attract, in the same way some struggle to get behind their team from the stands.

Fair play to Andrew Pope in giving it a go.

Agreed. I rarely sit (or stand) in the Northam, but signed anyway because I think it's the right thing, but surely there are at least 600 people who actually DO want to stand in the Northam?!