Hampshire CCC 2018 Season thread.

Window Cleaner

Rather apt that he has gone off injured today in his last Warwickshire appearance.

Can't say I'm overly enthused by this signing - as solid a first-class player as he may be, he's 31. It's not exactly a signing for the future, is it? Also, we appear to once again be signing bowlers to make up for the fact that we can't bat...

Realistically we did need another seamer though as Berg, Edwards aren’t going to be around for ever and Wheal still coming back from injury plus our overseas probably being an opening bat next year, and as a left hander it’s a different option. 31 is still pretty young for a cricketer and as a late starter he’s probably got around 5 years left in him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps - I just think that the batting has to be a priority for the close season, we've been nowhere near good enough, especially in the first innings of games. 16 bonus batting points, comfortably the lowest in the division, and we average 243 in the first innings over the course of the season, with half of our first innings seeing us bowled out for less than 200.

Bowling-wise, we've been excellent, only dropped three bonus points all year (weirdly, Lancashire are the only side with a better record, and they've been relegated). The downside to our bowling attack is that it is ageing - Abbott, Edwards and Berg are all the wrong side of 30 already, as was Steyn as our overseas for the second half of the year. Adding another bowler who's of that age smacks of short-termism to me, but then our recruitment in recent years has largely been of that nature, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.

With some of the names we have, we must be pretty close to the salary cap, which surely doesn't leave a lot of room to bring in some quality at the top of the order.

Perhaps - I just think that the batting has to be a priority for the close season, we've been nowhere near good enough, especially in the first innings of games. 16 bonus batting points, comfortably the lowest in the division, and we average 243 in the first innings over the course of the season, with half of our first innings seeing us bowled out for less than 200.

Bowling-wise, we've been excellent, only dropped three bonus points all year (weirdly, Lancashire are the only side with a better record, and they've been relegated). The downside to our bowling attack is that it is ageing - Abbott, Edwards and Berg are all the wrong side of 30 already, as was Steyn as our overseas for the second half of the year. Adding another bowler who's of that age smacks of short-termism to me, but then our recruitment in recent years has largely been of that nature, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.

With some of the names we have, we must be pretty close to the salary cap, which surely doesn't leave a lot of room to bring in some quality at the top of the order.

I agree on all of the points. Just think it’s difficult to find young quick bowlers to sign/who are available. We went after Gleeson before he went to Lancs and Jordan Clark but we should be prioritising batsmen, but we need to keep our bowling at the level it is so I think he’s a good signing as he won’t be on a great amount and is a different option from what we have.

Do you think Adams and Ervine retiring will free up that much or has much of the money gone on the two SA and Northeast? Donald and Barker will have eaten some wages but doubt if they are top end like the above. So should have enough for one opener and a three but will have to let some bits and pieces go on the fringes.

One of the advantages of signing someone like Barker is that we’re very unlikely to lose him part way through the season to international call-ups. Hampshire have definitely benefited from Ed Smith’s decision to dump Vince this year (and probably benefitted from his decision to draft in Buttler, persevere with Jennings and recall Ali). For this reason, if we manage to sign an opener who is capable of batting for more than half a session then it’s probably best that he’s not English.

Do you think Adams and Ervine retiring will free up that much or has much of the money gone on the two SA and Northeast? Donald and Barker will have eaten some wages but doubt if they are top end like the above. So should have enough for one opener and a three but will have to let some bits and pieces go on the fringes.

Topley will be off the books as well which will save a bit as well, i’d imagine a couple of others like Hart and Sole will be off the books as well although they wouldn’t have been on much.

Christ, what a colossal waste of time and money that Topley signing was, and I'm pretty sure many of us called it that at the time - pretty sure we paid Essex a fee to sign him mid-contract as well! And didn't he arrive injured?! :lol:

I see the official statement tries to pin the blame on the player himself, saying that he wanted to leave, but the recruitment department are equally to blame for signing someone who had such a dreadful fitness record.

Christ, what a colossal waste of time and money that Topley signing was, and I'm pretty sure many of us called it that at the time - pretty sure we paid Essex a fee to sign him mid-contract as well! And didn't he arrive injured?! :lol:

I see the official statement tries to pin the blame on the player himself, saying that he wanted to leave, but the recruitment department are equally to blame for signing someone who had such a dreadful fitness record.

Well I thought he was regarded as an excellent signing back in 2015. Not sure he was injured at that time. Hadn't he been taking a few wickets for Essex ? Obviously a major let down since though.

James Fuller’s signed on a two year deal from Middlesex, again a good county pro with talent in white-ball cricket but will probably be disliked by most as A. He’s not an opening batsman and B. He was born in South Africa

Young batsman Harry Came’s who’s played for the seconds has signed a 2 year pro deal as well.

James Fuller’s signed on a two year deal from Middlesex, again a good county pro with talent in white-ball cricket but will probably be disliked by most as A. He’s not an opening batsman and B. He was born in South Africa

Young batsman Harry Came’s who’s played for the seconds has signed a 2 year pro deal as well.

Fuller potentially a good signing, would have to check on his injury record but bowls with healthy pace and hits the deck quite hard.

Steve - would echo your comments on Topley. I think the club thought that he might gain pace and become that mid-80s left arm option that Sam Curran is becoming for England. Sad about his injuries but wasn't much cop when he did play, slower version of Chris Wood and less able with the bat than Chris is. I thought the bit about him wanting to leave was a bit tacky and unneccessary from Giles White, he's been taking lessons from Les Reed clearly. The boy is trying to rebuild his career. Barker is probably a better bet even though a lot older.

Need batters now though, big time.

Barker's godfather is Sir Clive Lloyd, and he was on the books at Blackburn Rovers when Graham Souness and Mark Hughes were managing there. Apparently Hughes told the young Barker that he wouldn't get near the first team as "I buy my strikers from abroad".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37363776

Edited by badgerx16

• 2 weeks later...

Were Reed and Wilson involved in that lol

• 2 weeks later...
It shows how ridiculous it is to have 2 relegation spots for only 8 teams. This relegation threat to most teams was very predictable. If they want an even number of teams for the Div. 1 why not have 10 teams, with 8 in Div. 2?

Ask and thou shall receive: https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/46047594

No mention if they'll keep the ridiculous format used for the 10 team 2nd division, where each team plays some other teams twice, but the rest only once.

With only 1 team going down next year Hants have a chance of another great escape.

Ask and thou shall receive: https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/46047594

No mention if they'll keep the ridiculous format used for the 10 team 2nd division, where each team plays some other teams twice, but the rest only once.

With only 1 team going down next year Hants have a chance of another great escape.

That says the change comes in in 2020, so there's another season of 2 down to get through yet.

• 1 month later...