Hampshire CCC 2018 Season thread.

Window Cleaner

Thankfully the T20 farce will soon be over and we can get back to "proper" cricket. I don't mind the 50 over game but T20 is just a slogfest which we don't seem at all good at right now; Yesterday Vince and Rossouw 80 runs from 37 balls, all the others 71 from 83 balls. What's happened to Munro, did he give up on us or has he some sort of injury?

Thankfully the T20 farce will soon be over and we can get back to "proper" cricket. I don't mind the 50 over game but T20 is just a slogfest which we don't seem at all good at right now; Yesterday Vince and Rossouw 80 runs from 37 balls, all the others 71 from 83 balls. What's happened to Munro, did he give up on us or has he some sort of injury?

He was only contracted to play until the Caribbean T20 started.

Short of cash are we ?

Every counties short of cash. The recent research by Sheffield Hallam university makes interesting reading. Only one county makes a profit without ECB assistance, Glamorgan.(and that's because they had 12 million written off two years ago)..and only 9 counties (we are one of them) make a profit WITH ECB cash. We are the third best county in respect of profit between 2014-16. Not that it's saying much..all the figures are pitiful.

I went today - appreciate Hants had nothing to plays for - but losing is a habit and I fear for their l1 future. Roussow has an attention issue as does Vince, Northeast looks average but not a matchwinner, Alsop and Weatherly are div 2 players, the bowling aside from Steryn looks terribly average. I know you can’t equate t20 with 4 days but I really cannot see this lot licking their way out of trouble for a 3rd year

I went today - appreciate Hants had nothing to plays for - but losing is a habit and I fear for their l1 future. Roussow has an attention issue as does Vince, Northeast looks average but not a matchwinner, Alsop and Weatherly are div 2 players, the bowling aside from Steryn looks terribly average. I know you can’t equate t20 with 4 days but I really cannot see this lot licking their way out of trouble for a 3rd year

Not really worried actually. The whole campaign was a train wreck from the start. Unless Vince and/or Rossouw made 50 or 60

each time we were always going to lose most games. The only really exception was when Munro had a good match with bat and ball. It's clear that Northeast and Alsop can't score runs quickly enough for T20 cricket and both would really need to be batting far further down the order to make any use of them. Lack of openers did for us because Vince and his left handed alter ego should not be opening. Won't even mention the bowling, was never adapted to short format cricket.

Great batting effort again, 164/7, 57/1 at lunch but Adams, Northeast and Alsop all bottled it after lunch. Pity as York’s struggling and Lancs at Surrey. Hopefully the surface and conditions are doing a bit for when we bowl. Vince got 70 odd but needed him to go on.

The thug just got out at Trent Bridge, poor Sam Curran. Feel really sorry for him.

Great batting effort again, 164/7, 57/1 at lunch but Adams, Northeast and Alsop all bottled it after lunch. Pity as York’s struggling and Lancs at Surrey. Hopefully the surface and conditions are doing a bit for when we bowl. Vince got 70 odd but needed him to go on.

The thug just got out at Trent Bridge, poor Sam Curran. Feel really sorry for him.

We won’t get out of trouble this year, the batting line up is awful, feel for the bowlers.

We won’t get out of trouble this year, the batting line up is awful, feel for the bowlers.

Pessimistic eh. Let's see what happens in this game. Dawson and Abbott have at least given us something to bowl at with 2 bonus points to boot. Notts are already 22/2, usually means nothing but we might not be too bad here.

Interesting round of matches this one. Could leave the lower half of the table in an interesting state. Hants look as if they may beat Notts, we've shifted 2 already today. Worcs have beaten Yorks gaining maximum points against Yorkshire's one. Lancs -Surrey could still go either way but you'd have to give Lancs the benefit of the doubt there. Just needs Essex to collapse (probably won't happen) to leave 4th-8th with just a handful of points difference.

Great result which combined with Surrey’s dramatic win ends Notts title hopes and on the fringes of trouble. Lancs v Worcs is huge now but Moeen likely to be recalled to the England Test side and has a good record at the Ageas Bowl. We could get a result at Essex, not a great hunting ground but their top order is even more flaky than ours. Donald looks a positive signing, Adams retiring I’m guessing.

Vince probably getting recalled for the next test.

More likely to be Moeen after his double ton and 6 for, plus he did well v India at Southampton last time. The bigger England problems are the openers - Jennings looks like Gary Ballance MKII and Cook, legend though he is, is well and truly washed up. Nick Browne, who we face next, was tipped for a call up this season but has been disappointing this term. He'll probably get a ton now I've said that.

There's been so many opener picks selected and failed since Strauss retired - surely one has to appear at some stage who can play a moving ball? Moeen could open of course.

Vince's recall causes Hampshire a bit of a headache. No guarantee he's going to play, as it's a 14-man squad which includes Jonny Bairstow - who may yet still be able to play despite a cracked bone in a finger - and Moeen Ali - fresh from a double hundred and 6-for in Worcestershire's win at Yorkshire. The game against Essex starts a day before the test match, so I guess ideally they'd decide on Bairstow's fitness by Tuesday or Wednesday which might allow Vince to play in the championship game if Bairstow's fit to play for England.

Vince's recall causes Hampshire a bit of a headache. No guarantee he's going to play, as it's a 14-man squad which includes Jonny Bairstow - who may yet still be able to play despite a cracked bone in a finger - and Moeen Ali - fresh from a double hundred and 6-for in Worcestershire's win at Yorkshire. The game against Essex starts a day before the test match, so I guess ideally they'd decide on Bairstow's fitness by Tuesday or Wednesday which might allow Vince to play in the championship game if Bairstow's fit to play for England.

Vince got 2 good scores for Hants against Notts, he'd probably get a golden duck next game anyway;)

Donald and Weatherley to open, Northeast, Alsop, Rossouw etc. Only need a draw anyway. Worcs is the game to win.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Vince got 2 good scores for Hants against Notts, he'd probably get a golden duck next game anyway;)

Donald and Weatherley to open, Northeast, Alsop, Rossouw etc. Only need a draw anyway. Worcs is the game to win.

Donald isn’t an opener in 4 day cricket, better at 4 or 5 in the longer form, and hasn’t batted there this season. He’s probably more of a replacement for Ervine without the bowling (not that Ervine has bowled much the last few seasons).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't have to name the team until the toss, which has yet to take place because of rain in Essex.

I'm hoping the England setup told Vince in decent time so he can drive up to Chelmsford

Wouldn't they hire a helicopter?

I see Pope can play for Surrey from tomorrow even though the match started without him. I presume the same would have applied to Vince.

On the scorecard so it looks that way. No Steyn of course, replaced by Holland. Other than that same team as last time I think.

Essex going to bat first at their choosing.

I see Pope can play for Surrey from tomorrow even though the match started without him. I presume the same would have applied to Vince.

looking at the Aegeas Bowl scorecard from this moring it would seem that those who were dropped or not finally needed are the best off. Batting shambles again.

looking at the Aegeas Bowl scorecard from this moring it would seem that those who were dropped or not finally needed are the best off. Batting shambles again.

We have put the radio commentary on as everything on the TV seems to be a repeat, only to hear the same old story of an England collapse.

England have bowled OK this morning but India's bowlers don't have to bowl to the likes to Kohli. Cook is well past it, England legend but even Gooch is effectively telling him to public to retire. Jennings is glue foot and won't crack this level consistently, Root is exposed at 3 and was last time he tried it when he wasn't skipper to boot.

Just select who they feel are the best top 3 technical batsmen in those positions at domestic level and stick with them for 20 Tests at least. They'll have ups and downs but we can't keep chopping and changing with players who have already proven they aren't good enough. Pope looked promising although he bats at 5 for Surrey, but shows there are technical players out there.

Onto Hampshire. Jimmy out early, clean bowled. Must be pushing 40 now, Trescothick or Gooch he isn't. Thankfully Weatherley and Holland are sticking with it for now. Need to bat time, get as many first knock and grind Essex down. Siddle and Harmer first change is pretty handy though. White of the Craig variety laid into the bowlers again yesterday, sounds like another Trent Bridge display from earlier in the season, apart from Abbott.

92-6 :mcinnes:

There aren’t enough McInnes facepalms in Portsmouth to sum up my feelings about the latest score....17-2 second knock. If they dropped some catches when Essex batted, they really did produce the perfect terrible all round cricket display. Can’t bowl, can’t bat, can’t field.

Lancs look to be in big trouble again at 48/4. Still they dug themselves out of it last time.

99 all out. Unless it's a bowling wicket and they can restrict Somerset similarly, they're bang in trouble. 5 wickets for Jack Leach.

Although of course it's largely irrelevant if we can't beat Worcestershire... 113/5 now :facepalm:

99 all out. Unless it's a bowling wicket and they can restrict Somerset similarly, they're bang in trouble. 5 wickets for Jack Leach.

Although of course it's largely irrelevant if we can't beat Worcestershire... 113/5 now :facepalm:

118-6 now, yet another horrendous batting performance. So many batsmen not up to Div 1 cricket it's untrue.

Just don't understand these batting collapses. We were doing pretty well, 77/1 or so, then we got pinned down, made about 5

from 10 overs and then we just folded to the current 118/6

Extras our top scorer behind Northeast and no batting points in an incredibly tight relegation scrap. Think it’ll be trips to Chester-le-Street and Derby next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah I don't know. Provided Somerset beat Lancs and we don't actually lose against Worcs I'd think we'll be alright. Well not alright but scrape through again.