Hampshire CCC 2018 Season thread.

Window Cleaner

6 runs needed with 13 balls remaining; one batsman on 103, the other on 56; and we manage to lose. Can't think of a more disappointing Hampshire finish ever, tbh; although, as Weston says, credit to the Kent bowlers. The phrase 'p issing on their parade' couldn't be more apt for poor young Weatherly and Taylor. Hopefully this won't have an adverse effect on their development; both have done well recently.

Thought they did pretty well yesterday actually. They were a bit behind the rate for a fair while but didn't panic. That we lost in the end was unfortunate but we probably deserved to because of the atrocious bowling for their innings. Still without Abbott, Edwards and Wheal what can you expect.

Dale Steyn in the group of 15 for today's game. Still no Amla though, is he done with Hants already or maybe just being saved for the next 4 day game.

I’m sure I heard radio silent say his contract had finished, but maybe wrong.

I bet Somerset we’re glad to have Don Bess back today... he went for over 11 an over! Still we have a pretty bad record against Somerset so it ain’t over yet

I’m sure I heard radio silent say his contract had finished, but maybe wrong.

I bet Somerset we’re glad to have Don Bess back today... he went for over 11 an over! Still we have a pretty bad record against Somerset so it ain’t over yet

Still 357 is a tough target for them, plus Essex made a pretty big total so Kent may not win anyway.

Surely we are going down in the 4-day format this time.

On the face of it, an awful side they have selected for the game today. The tail starts at 5. The Dale Steyn signing was baffling; especially when you consider the fact we have plenty of bowling options and minimal batting ones.

What would they have done if Vince had been in the England squad? Might need to look into getting Carberry back on loan. Batting line up is currently weaker than it's ever been and he is out of a job.

On the face of it, an awful side they have selected for the game today. The tail starts at 5. The Dale Steyn signing was baffling; especially when you consider the fact we have plenty of bowling options and minimal batting ones.

What would they have done if Vince had been in the England squad? Might need to look into getting Carberry back on loan. Batting line up is currently weaker than it's ever been and he is out of a job.

I really doubt that Carberry would be the answer. Our inability to take wickets is on display again today. They got off to an atrocious start but as per usual there's the solid middle order stand at over 4 an over that will see us facing 350+ at least again.

So our bowling is limited to dobby seamers and erratic fast men then. No wonder we can't get a wicket.

To think some tipped us for a Championship season, Topley wasn't it ?

Well, i'm not convinced Crane and Dawson would have turned this game in our favour. Cranes career bowling average is 47!. And Dawson...well he's Dawson

Well, i'm not convinced Crane and Dawson would have turned this game in our favour. Cranes career bowling average is 47!. And Dawson...well he's Dawson

Never mind, moaning about lack of wickets taken usually has the desired effect, getting wickets. same as getting a pint from the beer tent!!:)

With Weatherley and Adams as the opening pair. :(

Now 53-3. Tail rapidly approaching.

Steyn is a great player but surely a batter should have replaced Amla, especially with Northeast injured?

Players like Adams, Weatherley, Ervine and Taylor just aren't reliable enough with the bat.

We havent had a good opening pairing all season since the odd call to push McManus up there.

125-8 currently.

About right when you consider our batting line up. Urgent action is required by the management if we are to remain in the CC this year.

First thing I would do is send Dale Steyn back and get a quality batting overseas in. When you have Fidel Edwards and Kyle Abbott, why on earth are you getting in a seam bowling overseas player? IPL is over and there are currently no T20 leagues going on. Many many options out there.

I see they've done the same thing in the T20. They have 3 excellent spinners in the one day format in Dawson, Crane and Taylor. So they go and get what? Another spinner (no matter how class he may be)!

Carberry is out of work. I don't see how he is a worse option right now than 4 out our top 7. He will have a chip on his shoulder and be desperate to prove people wrong; I'd be getting on the phone if I was Giles White.

Steyn was lined up at the beginning of the season, I think. Still a ridiculous choice, a batsman to replace Amla was obviously needed. Is Les Reed in charge of recruitment?

135 all out. Pathetic. Any chance of rain in the next two days?

At least Les had some good years before the last two diabolical ones. Don’t know what Giles White’s excuse is, other than his record in the last 4 years is appalling and as a player he was part of the worst Hampshire side in my lifetime. Astonishing that Adams still opens, was clearly past it four years ago and longer in D1 terms. Rod needs to sort it out, plenty of good DoC options who could sort it out and have the knowledge from at least being a quality first class player at least.

Steyn is a great player but surely a batter should have replaced Amla, especially with Northeast injured?

Players like Adams, Weatherley, Ervine and Taylor just aren't reliable enough with the bat.

We havent had a good opening pairing all season since the odd call to push McManus up there.

Weatherley has put in some good knocks in the one day competition though, perhaps he's just not familiar enough with the demands of opening in the 4 day game. Abbott seems to be having a poor season up to now. Conceding an awful lot of runs.

Well that was a ****ing disaster :uhoh:

Once their 4th wicket pair dug in it was entirely predictable. This is other counties tactic against Hants now. Bat first make 350 plus and skittle us twice. 23 easy points. We had a great start with them a 1 for 2 but these major 4th and 5th wicket partnerships just keep on happening. Any chance of Northeast being back at any time soon ?

Saints luckily had WBA, Stoke and Swansea. Who do Hants have? Worcs look as crap, maybe Lancs?

Indeed, Lancs look to be in trouble and will probably lose. They still got 3 more batting points than us though. Hants recrutement people really need to be scrubbing about for an opener. I'd keep Weatherly at opener though. How long was Amla supposed to stay with us ? Wasn't it until the end of June, probably just didn't fancy it any more.

The concerning thing IMO is that that was probably about par for that batting line up. 175 all out.

Adams - Completely over the hill.

Whetherley - Young lad learning the game.

Vince - Very decent.

Ervine - All rounder (not cutting it at this level anymore)

Roussouw - Has he ever scored a 4-day ton for us? Not a 4-day player.

McManus - keeper who is developing as a batsmen.

Berg - bowler

Taylor - bowler

Abbott - bowler

Steyn - bowler

Edwards - bowler

Possible the worst batting line up to ever be fielded in the top flight of the CC. When you assess the state of the XI, only Vince is really capable of scoring a ton. That is utterly appalling for a 4-day team. It's frankly unbelievable that the management of the club have let the batting become such a mess; it's not as if the warning signs weren't there.

The concerning thing IMO is that that was probably about par for that batting line up. 175 all out.

Adams - Completely over the hill.

Whetherley - Young lad learning the game.

Vince - Very decent.

Ervine - All rounder (not cutting it at this level anymore)

Roussouw - Has he ever scored a 4-day ton for us? Not a 4-day player.

McManus - keeper who is developing as a batsmen.

Berg - bowler

Taylor - bowler

Abbott - bowler

Steyn - bowler

Edwards - bowler

Possible the worst batting line up to ever be fielded in the top flight of the CC. When you assess the state of the XI, only Vince is really capable of scoring a ton. That is utterly appalling for a 4-day team. It's frankly unbelievable that the management of the club have let the batting become such a mess; it's not as if the warning signs weren't there.

You forget that Northeast is injured and Amla seems to have gone earlier than expected. 2 decent batsmen there. Wasn't the project to get Amla to open ? Just didn't seem to fancy that so we had to fall back on Adams. For all of our bowlers on display the opposition seem to score runs pretty easily. Abbott doesn't seem to be having the same success as last season. Perhaps he has to go gingerly with his ankle or something. Batting is a problem. Big middle order stands from the opposition is another.

You forget that Northeast is injured and Amla seems to have gone earlier than expected. 2 decent batsmen there. Wasn't the project to get Amla to open ? Just didn't seem to fancy that so we had to fall back on Adams. For all of our bowlers on display the opposition seem to score runs pretty easily. Abbott doesn't seem to be having the same success as last season. Perhaps he has to go gingerly with his ankle or something. Batting is a problem. Big middle order stands from the opposition is another.

True that they are 2 options down; but arguably they weren't expecting the services of Vince. It was a surprise when he wasn't picked for England honours. Northeast injury is a blow but the reality is even with him they would be severely down on batting options. Alsop needs to get back into the fold in my opinion. There's definitely a slot in the XI for him when he's fit.

True that they are 2 options down; but arguably they weren't expecting the services of Vince. It was a surprise when he wasn't picked for England honours. Northeast injury is a blow but the reality is even with him they would be severely down on batting options. Alsop needs to get back into the fold in my opinion. There's definitely a slot in the XI for him when he's fit.

Vince hasn't been in the England 50 over team for several seasons, so would always have been available now.

Alsop was due to play this week before doing his hamstring and we were also missing Dawson from the top 6 due to injury.

Yep, it’s all pretty depressing. I wasn’t one of those that had us down as championship contenders but I was more than hopeful that we wouldn’t be struggling against relegation yet again. Injuries certainly haven’t helped but I think that our problems go deeper than that: for years now we seem to have struggled to sustain any sort of pressure on the opposition, and all too easily fold when under pressure ourselves. I don’t really know where the main problem lies: the coaches, the captain, an over-reliance on kolpaks and short-term overseas players, under development of our academy players, the mindset of the players themselves?