Hampshire CCC 2018 Season thread.

Window Cleaner

Looks like a pretty sparse crowd, although was always going to struggle with England playing in the World Cup today.

You wouldn't have thought so if you were trying to park there. I can only assume that the "sparse crowd" all walked home this morning and came back with a second car.

Vince was feckin God like and off to Lords we go.

Hampshire have signed Middlesex off-spinner Ollie Rayner on loan for their next two County Championship matches.

Rayner provides cover for Brad Taylor, who has an ankle injury, and England spinner Mason Crane, who is again suffering with back pain.

From BBC

Big game against a depleted Yorkshire starting today. If Steyn, Abbott and Berg can't make the pink ball talk under lights we may as well all go home

They are using a Kookaburra this year and it isnt anything like the banana balls they had last season. Great to see Steyn flatten 2 of Pujara's stumps for his 2nd duck in 3 days, but Ballance must average over 100 against us and so its no surprise that he is 103* at tea. 228-4.

Abbott's opening spell today was quite dreadful. He is a shadow of his usual self.

Not a bad day yesterday, watched most of it. Vince out to a really good ball, Rossouw batted well enough. Pity Northeast and Alsop got bogged down by the accurate bowling and occasional movement though. Hants still have it all to do from 302/6 after 96. Might even limit them to 2 bowling points whilst getting 4 batting ourselves. Plus 2 might help in a tight finish to the season.

Edited by Window Cleaner

1) Cricket South Africa probably said so.

2) Money I expect.

1) Understandable as he hadn't played for over 6 months and bowled a lot against Yorkshire. Keeps him fresh for Lords. I'll give you a wave from the back row of the Upper Compton stand.

2) We send Lions sides abroad in the winter and so have to reciprocate.

Excellent team performance today, Rilee's innings was top notch, wasn't timing the ball perfectly to begin with but supported Alsop well, who looked quality, and then took over after Tom perished. Fielding was great, 4 run outs and Berg was so brave, getting rid of Kuhn whose record in this competition was stunning. Wood and Dawson bowled well and Steyn a great influence.

Allan Donald is doing a good job as Kent's bowling coach but don't envy his raw materials. Podmore decent and Stevens canny as always. Denly actually the most dangerous bowler. Haggett though - please tell me he is a very good bat because that's the worst bowling I've ever seen in a final since that Leicestershire guy bowled a million wides in a limited overs final in the 1990s (sorry, can't recall the name!). Could have been nervous but take a leaf out of Stevens book if you have zero pace. Bowled all over the wicket in 3 overs, how he stopped us winning the group game is mind boggling.

Not a bad effort in the end, came up just 4 short. Obviously a ground where scoring a lot of runs was easy enough. If we hadn't lost 3 wickets in 7 balls at the start we'd probably have made it with a couple of overs to spare. These out grounds must be soul destroying for the bowlers just now, just a turkey shoot where you're lucky to concede less than 10 an over.

Low scoring Roses match so far. 20 wickets down already for the day. Neither side got any batting points which is a handy situation for us.

Only 19 wickets actually as Livingstone couldn't bat (broken thumb).

what a bunch of chokers. How they lost that game. Who is the coach who oversees that rubbish?

Looked like Alsop and Dawson were incapable of maintaining a fairly easy run rate. Has happened to Alsop before I think. And why exactly Vince is opening beats me. Let Rossouw do it or even Alsop..

Apart from winning the Royal London Cup after posting the highest total in a Lord’s final it's been a terrible season.
that post can be taken two ways, are you defending the coaching or was it really a true swipe at how pathetic the performances seem to be