Hampshire CCC 2018 Season thread.

Window Cleaner

Or a points deduction. ;)

Well yes, if they start handing out deductions for good bowling and shîte batting there's always a chance I suppose. As I said earlier Hants and Somerset both have recent previous of awful batting, chasing wild balls down the leg side, reckless driving and offering no shot to good balls.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Well yes, if they start handing out deductions for good bowling and shîte batting there's always a chance I suppose. As I said earlier Hants and Somerset both have recent previous of awful batting, chasing wild balls down the leg side, reckless driving and offering no shot to good balls.

I see the Somerset captain said he wouldn't comment on the pitch because they both had to play on it...

Yeah that and Taunton last week was ****e

I see the Somerset captain said he wouldn't comment on the pitch because they both had to play on it...

Yeah that and Taunton last week was ****e

As someone pointed out earlier, when you have really fast bowlers on a pitch that's not entirely dead, you're likely to see a few wickets fall when batsmen insist on trying their slogfest shots at inopportune moments..The old clan like Trescothick and Adams, who know what 4 day batting is about, seemed to manage fairly well.

Edited by Window Cleaner

So, got there in the end without too much wobbling and picked up another 16 points. Probably enough to see us staying up unless we go the other 2 games without getting 10 points and even then it would need some freakish results to send us down..

We are third and you are still worried about relegation

Shows how even the Championship is.

Need batsmen to be more consistent next season

Nice goodbye chat with Dale Steyn after the match. He has enjoyed his time with Hampshire and has not ruled out coming back but could not say more. He is back to SA now as he has been drafted into the 1 day squad against Zimbabwe. We will miss him

Spoke to Rod Bransgrove about next years opening batsmen. He said they would probably look to an overseas for that position whilst persevering with Weatherly with Soames also in consideration. He liked the way Alsop is developing.

Good win in 5 sessions. Wicket was lively but with some poor shot selections. Our world class bowling looked far the strongest. Great 50 from Trescothick showed that when you apply yourself the wicket was perfectly playable.

No worries about any points deductions. If the Match Liaison Officer deems the pitch below average then as it our first such rating in 12 months no action will be taken.

Nice goodbye chat with Dale Steyn after the match. He has enjoyed his time with Hampshire and has not ruled out coming back but could not say more. He is back to SA now as he has been drafted into the 1 day squad against Zimbabwe. We will miss him

Spoke to Rod Bransgrove about next years opening batsmen. He said they would probably look to an overseas for that position whilst persevering with Weatherly with Soames also in consideration. He liked the way Alsop is developing.

Good win in 5 sessions. Wicket was lively but with some poor shot selections. Our world class bowling looked far the strongest. Great 50 from Trescothick showed that when you apply yourself the wicket was perfectly playable.

No worries about any points deductions. If the Match Liaison Officer deems the pitch below average then as it our first such rating in 12 months no action will be taken.

Yes I think all the youngsters have done well this season and hopefully with more experience will become more consistent.

I am interested I player from Glamorgan is going to do

Well I thought I was pointing out how well we've done since the end of the T20 in winning 3 out of our 4 matches and being in a good position barring some extraordinary event or other.

Well I thought I was pointing out how well we've done since the end of the T20 in winning 3 out of our 4 matches and being in a good position barring some extraordinary event or other.

Sorry did not realise your point

With probably the best pace attack we have ever had I never thought we would be relegated and if the batting was more consistent we could have been challenging at the top of the Championship

Any chance of an overseas player for the last two matches?

It shows how ridiculous it is to have 2 relegation spots for only 8 teams. This relegation threat to most teams was very predictable. If they want an even number of teams for the Div. 1 why not have 10 teams, with 8 in Div. 2?

Matches today have turned out very nicely for Hants. For a while it looked like Lancs would win and Worcs could get a surprise win too. Now it looks like both will lose, along with Notts too. If that does happen any relegation threat will surely disappear.

Adams is retiring, and Weatherley still struggling, so they do need to bring in players to address the opening batting problem.

Third near the end of the season with a chance of relegation? And what other league has 25% of its teams going down every year?[/QUO

I think it is really good as it is now with one team being relegated the and Surrey Champions the season would be over tonight but there is going to be interest and competitive cricket until the end of the season

We are 4th and there is little chance of us going down and Essex currently safe in third place.

Being relegated has little long term affect with mostly Div1 containing the Counties with Test Match Grounds and these teams continually move up and down I see Warwickshire are returning next season

Third near the end of the season with a chance of relegation? And what other league has 25% of its teams going down every year?[/QUO

I think it is really good as it is now with one team being relegated the and Surrey Champions the season would be over tonight but there is going to be interest and competitive cricket until the end of the season

We are 4th and there is little chance of us going down and Essex currently safe in third place.

Being relegated has little long term affect with mostly Div1 containing the Counties with Test Match Grounds and these teams continually move up and down I see Warwickshire are returning next season

That's true, going down is nothing compared to the PL. Still I think 10 in the first division and 8 in the second would be a better split. I'm sure the snowflakes in the first division could handle 4 extra matches.

That's true, going down is nothing compared to the PL. Still I think 10 in the first division and 8 in the second would be a better split. I'm sure the snowflakes in the first division could handle 4 extra matches.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/07/county-championship-season-ecb-ch

Both Divisions play 14 games a season and in Div 1 all teams play each other twice

Safety pretty much assured this morning after Worcestershire were bundled out for 94 at Chelmsford. That means we now need only six points to mathematically guarantee safety, and we've picked up the first of those with 3 Yorkshire wickets (70/3 after a delayed start).

Worcestershire aren't going to beat Essex AND Yorkshire, while beating Yorkshire with near-maximum points, even if we were to lose both of our remaining games.

Still an opportunity to finish third, which would probably underline the mediocrity in the championship this season (with the obvious exception of Surrey) considering how rubbish we've been for most of the year.

So Worcs win the T20 and get relegated whereas Surrey who had a pretty poor short format season won the Championship with 2 games to spare. T20, whilst bringing in casual spectators, is detrimental to real cricket.

I think these days everyone has to accept that they're both "real" cricket. There's a strong argument that the longer form of the game now would have no chance of survival as a professional sport without the financial benefits of T20 cricket.

I think these days everyone has to accept that they're both "real" cricket. There's a strong argument that the longer form of the game now would have no chance of survival as a professional sport without the financial benefits of T20 cricket.

Perhaps, but for me the Championship, 50 over Gillette type and the 40 over Sunday League was the better structure. No 1 day only players in those days. Blokes signed for the season at least and played the majority of games. I do not like T20, it just encourages slogging and depresses bowlers.

Anyway back to the present. Hants have just lost 3 quick wickets and are a royal 33/3. Good job we don't need much from this game.

Edited by Window Cleaner

And yet another batting debacle. Good job it doesn't matter, well it probably does to Lancashire, who'll no doubt be relegated by

tomorrow evening.

For my money this team needs at least 3 batsman in the off-season. Find it worrying that the new lad Donald hasn't got a go yet. Our top 3 at the minute looks absolutely dreadful.

For my money this team needs at least 3 batsman in the off-season. Find it worrying that the new lad Donald hasn't got a go yet. Our top 3 at the minute looks absolutely dreadful.

Collectively they look dreadful, if one of them gets a few the other 2 fail dismally. Same goes for Northeast, one decent knock 3 bad ones follow. A bit disappointed in him myself, will need to do far better next season. What we really want is a good old Bopara type, always seems to get runs when Essex need them. Didn't realise he's only 33, been around for ever seemingly.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Hopefully the weather will save Hants; raining this afternoon, and the forecast is rain and gales tomorrow.

Not that it really matters anyway but a draw will give us a better chance of finishing 4th instead of 5th or 6th. Leaves Yorks with something to do in their last game so they'd be miffed if there's wind and wuthering tomorrow. Yorks miffed! bring on the rain then.

Hopefully the weather will save Hants; raining this afternoon, and the forecast is rain and gales tomorrow.

Forecast looks a wash out, good news for Hants as horribly outplayed. Need new top 3 for next season, a bit like England.

Yorks will probably be OK although Anderson will run through Hants like a raw scotch bonnet chilli if he plays for Lancs at the Ageas.

Play called off for the day already, so match drawn.

Can't catch Essex in 3rd now, as they've won 6 games to our 4, so even if they got 0 points and we got the maximum 24 against Lancashire, they'd still finish above us on wins.

Lancashire need at least 20 points against us next week to have any chance of staying up, which seems a tall order. They'd also need Notts to get smashed by Somerset at Trent Bridge (Notts need 5 points to stay up) and/or Yorkshire to get smashed by even more at Worcestershire (Yorkshire need 2 points).

Play called off for the day already, so match drawn.

Can't catch Essex in 3rd now, as they've won 6 games to our 4, so even if they got 0 points and we got the maximum 24 against Lancashire, they'd still finish above us on wins.

Lancashire need at least 20 points against us next week to have any chance of staying up, which seems a tall order. They'd also need Notts to get smashed by Somerset at Trent Bridge (Notts need 5 points to stay up) and/or Yorkshire to get smashed by even more at Worcestershire (Yorkshire need 2 points).

Would that be "smashed" like losing 4-0 at home to Boreham Wood? :D

Anyway, Hants have preserved their first division status so all of the rest just doesn't matter. Roll on next season. Perhaps we'll have a bit more luck with our overseas player. Steyn did a good job a few times, Amla was a bit of a waste of an oversea player spot really and I think Munro had one good game in total. Who knows where we are with Rossouw for next season , think he's contracted to us for one more season but whether he'll be here remains to be seen.

Anyway, Hants have preserved their first division status so all of the rest just doesn't matter. Roll on next season. Perhaps we'll have a bit more luck with our overseas player. Steyn did a good job a few times, Amla was a bit of a waste of an oversea player spot really and I think Munro had one good game in total. Who knows where we are with Rossouw for next season , think he's contracted to us for one more season but whether he'll be here remains to be seen.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7014903-listen-hantscricket-head-coach-craig-white-on-now-being-mathematically-safe-in-div-1-on-injury-to-tom-alsop

Rossouw is leaving.

Alsop has injured a finger and won't be playing vs Lancs.

Didn’t get that impression on Rossouw from the interview, thought it was more about Rossouw leaving the slip cordon as he went home for the birth of his child, but I could be wrong. Would be a shame as he was instrumental in us winning the one day cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think Roussow is leaving!! I think he just referred to him being away for the last few games. If he was leaving, i think that would be the headline above the audio clip rather than "Alsop injured!

Also i think Kevin James might have asked him about it as that would have been slightly surprising news!!!

I don't think Roussow is leaving!! I think he just referred to him being away for the last few games. If he was leaving, i think that would be the headline above the audio clip rather than "Alsop injured!

Also i think Kevin James might have asked him about it as that would have been slightly surprising news!!!

Listening again I think you are probably right.

Notts are making some cracking signings - Joe Clarke, Zak Chappell, Ben Duckett and Ben Slater, an opener, which is something Hants desperately need. Middle order looks OK with Donald joining Northeast, Rilee, Dawson and Vince, but we are virtually 3 down for zip all of the time.

Listening again I think you are probably right.

Ha thanks......although it wouldn't be a disaster if he did. I don't know what his average is for the last two years? I'm guessing high twenties/low thirties? Hampshire clearly don't want to drop him , as he's one of our 'marquee signings' It can be argued he's actually been fairly awful in four day cricket. People will argue he had that knock in the final this year..but does that justify his place over the last two years? If you've got him and Northeast both averaging 25-30 over a season someone has to be dropped surely?

Notts are making some cracking signings - Joe Clarke, Zak Chappell, Ben Duckett and Ben Slater, an opener, which is something Hants desperately need. Middle order looks OK with Donald joining Northeast, Rilee, Dawson and Vince, but we are virtually 3 down for zip all of the time.

Presumably they're joining for first division cricket (Clarke in particular). Hants could help ruin that plan by gifting Lancs 24 points and help send Notts down. :p

Presumably they're joining for first division cricket (Clarke in particular). Hants could help ruin that plan by gifting Lancs 24 points and help send Notts down. :p

They are giving it a good go to be fair! Someone hadn’t told Ian Holland with those two late wickets.

Batting has been a lot more difficult at the Ageas this season, don’t agree with Northeast it is just the time of the season. Mitchell and Hildreth made tons today on surfaces that have done a bit as well. Pitches might need re-doing over the winter to get more pace, bounce and consistency in them. Mason Crane can’t bowl on the current pitches when fit and I don’t think Northeast joined to average 25 although he did pick up a winners medal in June.

Lancs relegated, but 27 runs more and they could've had a great escape. Notts are getting thrashed, and Hants opening pair already gone (what a surprise). Soames' average is single digits, and Weatherley's season average is about 24. (I was surprised to see Northeast's is about as bad). Throw in Adams retiring and that is a lot of batting weakness to address for next season.

Keith Barker signing a two year deal from Warwickshire tomorrow apparently. A good first class player who will hopefully be the player Topley could have been without his injuries.

Rather apt that he has gone off injured today in his last Warwickshire appearance.

Can't say I'm overly enthused by this signing - as solid a first-class player as he may be, he's 31. It's not exactly a signing for the future, is it? Also, we appear to once again be signing bowlers to make up for the fact that we can't bat...