Northeast

Roussouw

Dawson

McManus

Berg

Abbott

Wheal

Edwards

Got to have a decent chance of challenging, although slight lack of depth in the seam department, if picky.

New ball did a lot early on but Adams survived. Vince peerless.

Just before lunch, Magoffin, who is an excellent bowler, started to get a load of movement and got them both out.

Since lunch the weather has got worse. Floodlights on. Batting a lot more difficult. Luckily I had to come home at that point.

Amla just the man for this. (Fingers and toes crossed)

Not complete bollocks, 290 all out. Useful 75 n.o. by Berg.

A good start to the season I would have thought but the team needs to sort out the second opener

i posted after Amla was out.

Got back there after tea to see Berg get us out of jail again. Need to get Mitchell out early tomorrow.

So, a tidy win in our first game of the season. Wicket must have been a bit tricky with the 40 wickets going down for a total of less than 900 in less than 3 days if you discount the time lost for rain yesterday.
I think a great result pitch for this time of year.

Same XI for Surrey hopefully but would push Amla up to open with McManus at 7.

Should do well this season, but very key to keep Abbott and Edwards fit.

Surrey won the toss and chose to bat. Might be a hard day in the field for Hants then.

Looks like no Berg, that's a blow.

If 201 is hard day in the field I don't think Hampshire will mind

Four wickets for both Dawson and Edwards No Berg is he injured

If 201 is hard day in the field I don't think Hampshire will mind

Four wickets for both Dawson and Edwards No Berg is he injured

Looked like a bit of a slog for our bowlers in the afternoon though, then Surrey just sort of collapsed when Dawson got amongst them. Berg is on impending maternity absence I think they said on the radio.

Looked like a bit of a slog for our bowlers in the afternoon though, then Surrey just sort of collapsed when Dawson got amongst them. Berg is on impending maternity absence I think they said on the radio.

Wow, that makes his performance last week all the more impressive

Wow, that makes his performance last week all the more impressive

You know what I mean....

So anyway, would be nice to see some fine batting from our front row batsmen today, maybe make 320-350. Pity about the 2 openers yesterday, seemed to have given us a decent start and then both got out in quick succession. Still think we need better openers myself.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Was obviously over optimistic with 320-350, try 147. 6 Hants batsmen out leg before. Are balls keeping low or something ?

I have this theory that all county championship umpires are complete LBW triggers because there is no DRS there to overturn them. Not biased or anything, but consistently give ones pitching outside leg etc.

I have this theory that all county championship umpires are complete LBW triggers because there is no DRS there to overturn them. Not biased or anything, but consistently give ones pitching outside leg etc.

Especially the incompetent idiot, David Millns.

He was a talentless bowler, who has taken more wickets with his finger than he ever took with a ball.

Especially the incompetent idiot, David Millns.

He was a talentless bowler, who has taken more wickets with his finger than he ever took with a ball.

perhaps, just seems to be a high number of lbws in this game. 18 so far isn't it ?

Edited by Window Cleaner

I was there for the evening session on Friday evening and a couple of pretty borderline ones went our way when we were bowling. Sounds like Amla and Roussow got bad ones in our first innings too.

Even more odd, because Adams and Weatherley are opening the batting today. McManus is listed at three, with Vince at four and Amla five. I’d have thought switching McManus and Amla around would be a good idea, although Dawson is too good to be batting at seven. It’s not that long ago he was opening.

Even more odd, because Adams and Weatherley are opening the batting today. McManus is listed at three, with Vince at four and Amla five. I’d have thought switching McManus and Amla around would be a good idea, although Dawson is too good to be batting at seven. It’s not that long ago he was opening.

All the switching around is because Northeast is out with a broken little finger. (Yesterday in fielding practice).

All the switching around is because Northeast is out with a broken little finger. (Yesterday in fielding practice).

Didn't McManus and Rossouw miss a large chunk of last season for the same injury? Just bad luck, or something they should take precautions for in practice?

Game under way, dicey start for Hants, lost 2 wickets and scored at snail's pace. Then Abbott has come in and seems to be showing that you can show far too much respect to average bowlers. Anyway I'd guess we'll bat until the 110 overs are up and then let them have a stab, see if we can get a couple of bowling points.

Can anyone explain to me why Adams batted six and a half hours to the end of the third day for 87. What rationale can there possibly be in a shortened amtch for that rate of scoring?

That was the 1st innings and it was day 3.....did you think there would be time for 3 further innings in a day and half!? Might as well hang around and get his eye in.

That was the 1st innings and it was day 3.....did you think there would be time for 3 further innings in a day and half!? Might as well hang around and get his eye in.

And create a platform to get 4 batting points. Although that took some serious hitting from Abbott in the end.

Standard daily attendance for a typical championship game (at least when I've been) can only be a few hundred, so I doubt that would have affected it much. The paying public will have paid by then anyway, so wouldn't make a difference if they stayed or left.

Can anyone explain to me why Adams batted six and a half hours to the end of the third day for 87. What rationale can there possibly be in a shortened amtch for that rate of scoring?

To get the batting points. there was no chance of a result.

Standard daily attendance for a typical championship game (at least when I've been) can only be a few hundred, so I doubt that would have affected it much. The paying public will have paid by then anyway, so wouldn't make a difference if they stayed or left.

Agree, that is a fact but my point is that sort of cricket is enough to turn any spectator off for ever. And that is why the old county game is on the way out and these new slog arounds are taking over

Notts at Trent Bridge today. Hope we bat well.

Good start. Notts 39/3, Fidel 2 for 6. Abbott and Wood have conceded a few runs though. Still if that's what it takes to get early wickets.

Spoke too soon. Edwards has just gone for 21 in an over.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Game under way, dicey start for Hants, lost 2 wickets and scored at snail's pace. Then Abbott has come in and seems to be showing that you can show far too much respect to average bowlers. Anyway I'd guess we'll bat until the 110 overs are up and then let them have a stab, see if we can get a couple of bowling points.

Wow, that must be a crappy wicket at Chelmsford. Yorks all out for 50 in about 19 overs and now Essex are 2 for 2.

Not bad by the average Essex bowlers. ;)