Hampshire CCC 2018 Season thread.

Window Cleaner

First hour defines the season tomorrow. Three or more wickets and we are right in it. If the sun is out, our chance may have gone.

Stupid collapse today, Barnard isn’t exactly Sam Curran or Ben Stokes but he was too good for the top and middle order today. Decent if frenetic innings from Adams and young Soames but Vince sparked off a collapse with quelle surprise a loose drive and snared in the slips. Frustrating as so much talent but not much up top to go with it. Abbott back in form but need Steyn rolling back the years tomorrow, movement at high pace.

Lancashire 65/4 following on against Somerset, still 28 behind - I wonder what the lowest winning total is for a team who wins by an innings... Somerset only posted 192 but could still conceivably win by an innings there :lol:

A good morning for us with the ball so far, Worcestershire now 118/9!

Lancashire 65/4 following on against Somerset, still 28 behind - I wonder what the lowest winning total is for a team who wins by an innings... Somerset only posted 192 but could still conceivably win by an innings there :lol:

A good morning for us with the ball so far, Worcestershire now 118/9!

The madness of that match summed up by Livingstone hitting a couple of glorious straight sixes and then slogging one to get caught. If I was his captain, I'd fine him 2 weeks wages fpr that, pure laziness in the situation Lancs are in. That's probably just the last hope gone (good for Hants btw!) of Lancs staying up.

I don't think the pitch report is going to reveal much other than the standard of batting in D1 longer format, and some of the limited overs stuff as well, is abysmal. Apart from those selected on England tours, every other D1 top and middle order batsman should be playing overseas this winter, whatever the conditions, and get bat on ball in a longer format.

Good morning for Hants, Steyn got the key two including Barnard who can hit out. 70 odd lead now, so have to bat properly, plenty of time left so get over 200 and set them 275-300 at least. That will be hard to get this time of year last knock. That 30-odd by Adams and 48 by Northeast is looking like gold.

The madness of that match summed up by Livingstone hitting a couple of glorious straight sixes and then slogging one to get caught. If I was his captain, I'd fine him 2 weeks wages fpr that, pure laziness in the situation Lancs are in. That's probably just the last hope gone (good for Hants btw!) of Lancs staying up.

He IS the captain, isn't he? :lol:

Looking at the remaining fixtures, it's going to go right to the wire, and everyone will think they've got their safety in their own hands.

Lancashire: 10th Yorkshire (away), 18th NO GAME, 24th Hampshire (away)

Hampshire: 10th Somerset (home), 18th Yorkshire (away), 24th Lancashire (home)

Yorkshire: 10th Lancashire (home), 18th Hampshire (home), 24th Worcestershire (away)

Worcestershire: 10th Surrey (home), 18th Essex (away), 24th Yorkshire (home)

So Worcestershire have the hardest fixtures, Yorkshire and Lancashire theoretically the easiest but all games against teams around them. Only 9 points between the teams before the start of the current round of matches, with Lancashire having played a game more.

Looking at the remaining fixtures, it's going to go right to the wire, and everyone will think they've got their safety in their own hands.

Lancashire: 10th Yorkshire (away), 18th NO GAME, 24th Hampshire (away)

Hampshire: 10th Somerset (home), 18th Yorkshire (away), 24th Lancashire (home)

Yorkshire: 10th Lancashire (home), 18th Hampshire (home), 24th Worcestershire (away)

Worcestershire: 10th Surrey (home), 18th Essex (away), 24th Yorkshire (home)

So Worcestershire have the hardest fixtures, Yorkshire and Lancashire theoretically the easiest but all games against teams around them. Only 9 points between the teams before the start of the current round of matches, with Lancashire having played a game more.

And it's looking increasingly possible that Somerset fail to make 78 to beat Lancs today.

Lancashire TIE with Somerset :facepalm:

Needing just 1 to win with 2 wickets remaining, Dom Bess ran down the wicket and was stumped, and then two overs later Leach ****s it down deep midwicket's throat. No doubt Somerset will recover their form for next week when we play them...

All wrapped up this morning-absolutely vital win.

Not completely out of the woods yet but Lancashire and Worcs look in the most trouble.

30 more points from the remaining games should do it, perhaps less will do. the last round of games with Hants-Lancs and Worcs- Yorks will decide it. Looks bad for Worcs and Lancs though.

Soames gone in the 2nd over without troubling the scorers. We really, really need to sign some openers for next season because what we have is just beyond a joke. One of them seems always to be out for less than 10.

12 for 3 now. I thought when Somerset only got 106, that would be comfortably more than we'll get. I'd expect about 75 all out here.

A featherbed pitch would've been nice, with a draw a useful result. Instead it looks like a 2 day match, with a possible points deduction.

Why a points deduction? Pitches seem to favouring bowlers just about everywhere..

Anyway, Hants halfway there already, Northeast and Adams having stabiliised the innings. Effects of the heavy roller starting to show up perhaps.

Why a points deduction? Pitches seem to favouring bowlers just about everywhere..

Anyway, Hants halfway there already, Northeast and Adams having stabiliised the innings. Effects of the heavy roller starting to show up perhaps.

Not sure how it works, but if it's over in 2 days I wonder if questions will be asked? Anyway, a slender lead. If Hants end up having to chase anything over 100 to win I fear a collapse, especially with 2 tail-ender level batsmen opening.

I'm not sure if the 2 days is relevant. Hants played Notts in 2011 all four results were possible at the start of the last over of a game that went all four days. The game ended in a draw. Hampshire got a points reduction for a sub-standard pitch!

Here's a report on that one. http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8052/report/492130/hampshire-vs-nottinghamshire-county-championship-division-one-2011

It actually was only 3 days, as the first was washed out. Interesting stats: one player (McKenzie) made 96 not out, and in Notts' second innings chase they had a stand of 130 for the fourth wicket. And the pitch was considered poor with a points deduction. :rolleyes: Seems very arbitrary to me.

Edited by Dark Munster

Well I've been listening in on Solent from time to time and from the commetators views I'd surmise that there's life in the pitch and some awful shots to boot. Green out without scoring already, bad,bad shot apparently.

I'd agree with this Windows but also whilst there's been some atrocious batting (we know Vince struggles on anything other than a shirt front) by both sides there's also the quality of the bowling to consider. You've got Overton and Steyn, who both bowl at around 90mph and when there's movement in the atmosphere if they pitch it up straight, wickets will follow as county batsmen aren't used to that stuff. Not sure England's top order would do any better. You've then got Abbott in the form of his life, Gregory is having a great season with bat and ball and those are good conditions for military mediums like Davey and Holland. Fidel hasn't featured much but is still mid-80s mph and can bowl some magic balls in with the four balls.

Modern batters aren't used to having to tough it out, and possibly less technically able to do so, than their predecessors, so they try to hit their way out. Against Steyn, Overton, Abbott, C Overton et al, you'll come unstuck.

I'd agree with this Windows but also whilst there's been some atrocious batting (we know Vince struggles on anything other than a shirt front) by both sides there's also the quality of the bowling to consider. You've got Overton and Steyn, who both bowl at around 90mph and when there's movement in the atmosphere if they pitch it up straight, wickets will follow as county batsmen aren't used to that stuff. Not sure England's top order would do any better. You've then got Abbott in the form of his life, Gregory is having a great season with bat and ball and those are good conditions for military mediums like Davey and Holland. Fidel hasn't featured much but is still mid-80s mph and can bowl some magic balls in with the four balls.

Modern batters aren't used to having to tough it out, and possibly less technically able to do so, than their predecessors, so they try to hit their way out. Against Steyn, Overton, Abbott, C Overton et al, you'll come unstuck.

You're probably right. Hants batting badly is nothing exceptional this season and Somerset failed to make 78 last week to beat Lancs. Plus they've got finals day for the T20 on Saturday and have nothing really to play for in the Championship, well unless you count 2nd place that is and they'll probably get that anyway..

Edited by Window Cleaner

Theory mentioned on BBC that there is a batch of Duke balls that are paticularly lively.

Well I hope they hide those when were batting for 60 odd to win later on then. Somerset had the ball changed a couple of times when they were bowling yesterday, first time after only 10 overs or so if I recall correctly.

21/2, surprise - both clueless openers back in the hutch.

You have to give young players a chance apparently but the least they can do is not play stupid shots time after time.

Oh and that means you Vince as well. Absolute nut case on occasions, always driving whether it's wise or not. We could lose this.