Carlton Palmer

9-3

In the Daily Mail slagging off MLT and how he won more caps than MLT. Saying MLT had no ambition by not moving to a bigger club.

I do remember one game at The Dell when we won a corner and MLT walked over to pick the ball up to take the corner, CP run past MLT to take the corner himself with MLT laughing to the crowd.

Actually, I quite liked Carlton Palmer!!

He's a fool. His only positive trait was awkwardness. He is jealous of anyone with talent - that puts MLT at the top of his 'green-eyed' list, then.

I've read that Dave Jones said he was a hard worker on the pitch, but: "He covers every blade of grass out there, but that's only because his first touch is so crap".

Blokes a nob...but did a job for us when here...back in the dark days of bargain basement purchasing!

He did a job for us during his first season with us when he could be bothered. At the start of the following season he was part of a sulking bunch of 'has beens' (Hughes, Ripley and David Hirst I think were mentioned at the time as others) who felt they were too good for Saints and helped destroy any spirit in the dressing room. Can't be sure what changed over the summer to cause that,was it the arrival of the toxic Mark Hughes ? I expect Palmer is too thick to be the instigator.

I kept playing the Fifa Foootball Manager game for that era, just so I could sell Hughes and Ripley , no-one would buy Hirst no matter how many times you played it.

Hughes for me is still the worst player ever to play a full season for Saints, a total mercenary who was too busy fouling his marker to bother to trap the ball. Palmer was already gone by then , otherwise I would have flogged him too!

I think MLT was content to stay at Saints and that could be seen as a lack of ambition but the grass is not always greener . His skill and goal scoring ability is something we could do with now !

It was thought at the time he should have got more caps for England but if the manager takes against you , you don't get picked .

The superb Ronnie Ekeland had his sojourn at Saints under Bally just eighteen months before Palmer and said afterwards that Le Tissier's instinctive God given footballing ability put him on par with Laudrup, Romario, and Koeman, players he'd worked with at Barcelona. Who might Palmer be compared with in the same terms - Stephen Merchant perhaps?

Am I the only one who sees 'lazy' and 'unambitious' as OK attributes particularly if you excel at something that gives you pleasure, pays the bills and is not the only thing you enjoy in your life. And I certainly don't rate footballers by dismissing them if they haven't played in the Champions League or picked up loads of international caps playing against Malta, the Faroe Islands, loads of ex-Soviet republics that I can't spell, Andorra etc. just because they are a safe option.

The superb Ronnie Ekeland had his sojourn at Saints under Bally just eighteen months before Palmer and said afterwards that Le Tissier's instinctive God given footballing ability put him on par with Laudrup, Romario, and Koeman, players he'd worked with at Barcelona. Who might Palmer be compared with in the same terms - Stephen Merchant perhaps?

regardless of what you think of palmer, and he does seem to be a bitter tw4t, i think he's right that MLT was lazy and unambitious

Anyone who thinks this is obviously not a saints fan.

I kept playing the Fifa Foootball Manager game for that era, just so I could sell Hughes and Ripley , no-one would buy Hirst no matter how many times you played it.

Hughes for me is still the worst player ever to play a full season for Saints, a total mercenary who was too busy fouling his marker to bother to trap the ball. Palmer was already gone by then , otherwise I would have flogged him too!

One of the most detestable individuals ever to play for us. Only David Speedie comes close as a rival.

Surprised Hughes has made it as a manager, and credit to him for that as seems more dignified as a manager than he ever did as a player (but NO - would never want him managing us).

Edited by Badger

To be fair, a player of Le Tiss's natural ability should really have gone on to greater things than struggling at the foot of the table with Saints. If he had managed to get and keep himself fit, and shown desire to improve, he could have won medals for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, a player of Le Tiss's natural ability should really have gone on to greater things than struggling at the foot of the table with Saints. If he had managed to get and keep himself fit, and shown desire to improve, he could have won medals for sure.

That's garbage. He was fit for a lot of his career but loved playing for saints and we should have appreciated that. He was for much of his career akways the last off the training pitch as he practised shooting for ages.

Thanks, Carlton.

When he lost weight and tried harder he got worse. Best when relaxed and enjoying his football.

Still, would have been fascinating to see him in a really good team, think his stats would have been ridiculous.

Would be interesting to work out which 'top team' MLT would have suited best. Hypothetically, would it have been better for him to have gone overseas?

Palmer should have gone overseas, too... like Bhutan or somewhere!

When people moan about JWP, Redmond, Long, Tadic, Forster, etc etc, I look back fondly on the likes of Palmer, Ripley, Widdrington, Maddison and Beasant and remember how good we had it back then.

Beasant was pretty good for us. Obvioulsy one swallow doesn't make a summer, but I remember the Coventry (H) game well, when he won MOTM and prompted Ron Atkinson to say on Sky "who was man of the match? Oh, so we must've played not bad then!"

regardless of what you think of palmer, and he does seem to be a bitter tw4t, i think he's right that MLT was lazy and unambitious

What's more ambitious, taking the big pay check for the first club that comes along and taking the short cut to success, OR wanting to try and win a trophy for the club you love even though they were ****e?

Le Tiss stayed loyal and dragged that side to safety year on year. That's worthy of any fake trophy Carlton ****ing Palmer got whilst doing **** all on a football pitch.

Le Tiss had more talent in his little toe than Palmer could ever dream of. End of.

He’d walk in the England squad now. Every bit as good as Henderson & far better than Delph.

As for the article, it wasn’t some random dig at Matt, just a response to him taking the ****. I’d imagine there’s a few pros from that era with the same opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's more ambitious, taking the big pay check for the first club that comes along and taking the short cut to success, OR wanting to try and win a trophy for the club you love even though they were ****e?

Le Tiss stayed loyal and dragged that side to safety year on year. That's worthy of any fake trophy Carlton ****ing Palmer got whilst doing **** all on a football pitch.

Le Tiss had more talent in his little toe than Palmer could ever dream of. End of.

I never really got that definition of ambition either. I mean, Tomasz Kuszczak has a Premier League medal, as do Mateja Kezman and Costel Pantilimon. If anyone has made a DVD of their greatest hits, I've not seen it in HMV.

I remember someone asking George Best what he thought a young MLT's England prospects were, and he came out with the stat that Carlton Palmer on his own had more caps than Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles and Alan Hudson combined so a long England career was no indication of talent. Seems he was right! I just wonder if Palmer is claiming to better than them too.

As far as ambition goes, I'd have thought keeping Saints in the Prem in the early 90s was a far bigger challenge than winning the league with Man Utd. The fact that he did it so many times makes him far and away the best and most consistent player I have ever seen.