Southampton Senior Cup

Dan

We are taking part in the competition this season for it's 100th anniversary and we have drawn BTC Southampton. BTC knocked out Athletico Romsey in the qualifying round. It will be played at 19:00 Tuesday 17th October at Staplewood. Hopefully they open it up for us to go down and watch, probably our only chance of any silverware this season.

Que sera sera, what ever will be will be, we're going to St Mary's...

• 1 month later...
It was men against boys but the boys showed what a different class they were. Can't see anyone else but them winning the cup.

So far we’ve (saints) have played a Southampton Premier team and a Hants Premier team (both conveniently at Staplewood). It’ll be interesting to see how the fair against a Wessex Prem team like sholing, who not only have technically better players than the previous 2, but are physically much stronger as well.

They’ve (saints) have said they’ll play home and away if needed, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t get drawn away the whole time.

Would expect to see them at St Mary’s come the final.

I'd luck us to be drawn away, could be a good earner for a local non league outfit even if a few hundred paying customers turn up. Saints v Sholing in the final , fill St Marys and get some silverware in the cabinet, success breeds success and all that.

I'd luck us to be drawn away, could be a good earner for a local non league outfit even if a few hundred paying customers turn up. Saints v Sholing in the final , fill St Marys and get some silverware in the cabinet, success breeds success and all that.

Good post. What a great final that would be. I like to see Saints win trophies at every level. Seeing Saints win the 2015 U21 Premier League Cup Final was a real highlight of recent years for all those of us who were there.

So far we’ve (saints) have played a Southampton Premier team and a Hants Premier team (both conveniently at Staplewood). It’ll be interesting to see how the fair against a Wessex Prem team like sholing, who not only have technically better players than the previous 2, but are physically much stronger as well.

They’ve (saints) have said they’ll play home and away if needed, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t get drawn away the whole time.

Would expect to see them at St Mary’s come the final.

For those of us who used to play but don't know how the leagues there now work, what standard are/were the teams they played relative to e.g. the old Wessex League/Hampshire League teams and how good overall were the opposition? I saw the highlights but the team in yellow just looked like a kids'/teenagers' team and obviously not at the races physically.

For those of us who used to play but don't know how the leagues there now work, what standard are/were the teams they played relative to e.g. the old Wessex League/Hampshire League teams and how good overall were the opposition? I saw the highlights but the team in yellow just looked like a kids'/teenagers' team and obviously not at the races physically.

Pretty much sums it up. The quality of opposition is pretty poor (I'd imagine BTC, or any other Southampton league team are just a group of mates, who've probably been out on the **** the Friday night before a game).

To try and put it in relative terms it would be like Man City (an elite European team) playing Eastleigh or another lower national league team (BTC) and then someone like Forest Green or another lower L2 / top national league team (QK)

The jump in physical and technical ability from someone like QK to Sholing (who on their day are probably the best team in the Wessex), whilst only being 2 divisions would be huge.

Even though saints squad will be made out of 17-23 year old, they should have enough to stick a few past whoever they play. It will be interesting (and beneficial) for them to play a few physical Wessex teams though, in my opinion.

Thanks SKD and Kingsland.

I know someone who coaches a team and his opinion was that the more technical of his players are in some way not too far off what a professional can do but with a couple of huge caveats which you mention: the physical side, speed strength and the ability to do what they do at that speed which from those highlights was several times what the amateur team could do but they could e.g. do stepovers, dragbacks, half-volleys, dummies (occasionally) etc so the amateur teams do possess skill and to some extent the mental side. He's said there are a lot of good players who just don't/won't knuckle down or prefer booze or whatever so they rapidly lose any chance they have of maybe getting somewhere. He is a Manc too and very into football so I do tend to take on board a lot of what he says.

What was apparent from the highlights was how the Saints youth just kept making such good runs and stretching a disorganised opposition and how e.g. Barnes just made it look as though the opposition were playing in treacle and even though he's only about 20 how physically imposing he was.

Pretty much sums it up. The quality of opposition is pretty poor (I'd imagine BTC, or any other Southampton league team are just a group of mates, who've probably been out on the **** the Friday night before a game).

To try and put it in relative terms it would be like Man City (an elite European team) playing Eastleigh or another lower national league team (BTC) and then someone like Forest Green or another lower L2 / top national league team (QK)

The jump in physical and technical ability from someone like QK to Sholing (who on their day are probably the best team in the Wessex), whilst only being 2 divisions would be huge.

Even though saints squad will be made out of 17-23 year old, they should have enough to stick a few past whoever they play. It will be interesting (and beneficial) for them to play a few physical Wessex teams though, in my opinion.

May have changed but my day played Hampshire League and Southampton Senior and wasn’t much in it.

Hampshire league players took themselves more seriously though

Thanks SKD and Kingsland.

I know someone who coaches a team and his opinion was that the more technical of his players are in some way not too far off what a professional can do but with a couple of huge caveats which you mention: the physical side, speed strength and the ability to do what they do at that speed which from those highlights was several times what the amateur team could do but they could e.g. do stepovers, dragbacks, half-volleys, dummies (occasionally) etc so the amateur teams do possess skill and to some extent the mental side. He's said there are a lot of good players who just don't/won't knuckle down or prefer booze or whatever so they rapidly lose any chance they have of maybe getting somewhere. He is a Manc too and very into football so I do tend to take on board a lot of what he says.

What was apparent from the highlights was how the Saints youth just kept making such good runs and stretching a disorganised opposition and how e.g. Barnes just made it look as though the opposition were playing in treacle and even though he's only about 20 how physically imposing he was.

I watched the game myself, lucky enough to be given a ticket. I think the big diffe ence was how quick they moved the ball which gave QK no chance of getting at them. Saints missed as many as they scored, the QK keeper made some good saves but he had enough shots to get a few in I guess. There was at no point a time when QK had control of the game. That said, I don't think they disgraced themselves and it's a bit harsh to describe them as kids, they're a competent side but totally outclassed, I mean totally. That said, they did get one shot on target. It was disappointing to see them play one up front but their manager was worried about being totally overrun in midfield. He didn't want a 20 plus score line and when they had a player sent off that stuffed the option of two up front anyway. Have to say the refereee was clearly protecting Saints and I guess that's the agreement they got when they entered the completion. Can't really blame them. KD was very vocal on the side and Marti N Hunter was watching on, apparently Uncle Les was there but he must have stayed at the back of the gantry as I didn't see him.

i think was was really striking was watching professionals against amateurs, never really seen that before and it was eye opening.

I watched the game myself, lucky enough to be given a ticket. I think the big diffe ence was how quick they moved the ball which gave QK no chance of getting at them. Saints missed as many as they scored, the QK keeper made some good saves but he had enough shots to get a few in I guess. There was at no point a time when QK had control of the game. That said, I don't think they disgraced themselves and it's a bit harsh to describe them as kids, they're a competent side but totally outclassed, I mean totally. That said, they did get one shot on target. It was disappointing to see them play one up front but their manager was worried about being totally overrun in midfield. He didn't want a 20 plus score line and when they had a player sent off that stuffed the option of two up front anyway. Have to say the refereee was clearly protecting Saints and I guess that's the agreement they got when they entered the completion. Can't really blame them. KD was very vocal on the side and Marti N Hunter was watching on, apparently Uncle Les was there but he must have stayed at the back of the gantry as I didn't see him.

i think was was really striking was watching professionals against amateurs, never really seen that before and it was eye opening.

Never watched England Vs San Marino then..