does the future look good for Pelligrino?

Mr X

8 Games, 4 losses, 5 goals 2 of which were penalties, out of one cup already to a lower league side. Not good at all on the face of it. Then factor in he's got a fully fit side which has been improved on from last season, no fixture pile up Puel had to deal with and the fact that our two wins came courtesy of a last minute penalty against 10 men and a narrrow win against a team who can't even score let alone get a point it's been dreadful.

There will be those that will say it's too early to judge him and that is fair enough but I can't see anything so far to suggest he's even the equal of Puel let alone an upgrade.

Was he ever our first choice? Doubt it.

If he keeps on his current trajectory MP will be gone before Xmas IMO. The new board will want a new man for the window.

I don't buy the 'we have bad players' line, they may not be world beaters but they are still hugely underperforming. Heads have dropped because the manager refuses to take any chances on forward selection and the players go on to the pitch believing they won't score.

Gabbi is a good striker, Charlie know how to score and Long makes a very good pest - picked together and given some decent service they could be a useful combination but the manager refuses to deviate from his ultra defensive 1 up front comfort zone.

Puel wasn't a particularly inspiring manager and I wasn't bothered when he went but he looks like a world beater against this guy.

What new board? As far as I'm aware the board structure at the club hasn't changed since the new guy took over. You are also assuming the new owner wants to start chucking money around in Jan there is no evidence for that.

Edited by doddisalegend

You have only dealt in headlines/slogans in your reply. Could you address the different points and either agree or disagree with them?

Let's deal with the myth about Puel having to deal with all these injuries...so as MP has had 7 games is it? Let's compare like for like...

MP has only had a not match fit VVD for all 7 games, without him being available at all for the first four was it?

In the first 7 league games last season which player did Puel not have avaiable to him?

We can't yet compare for "half a season" as MP hasn't had half a season?

i am pretty sure Puel had VVD and Austin during that time so actually MP is at a disadvantage surely?

(TBH I think that injuries and sulking players is tough..they are paid millions of pounds a year to get round that sort of thing not use it as an excuse but it seems like some people don't think that way!)

Lets also remember that Puel inherited a squad that's confidence/moral was at it's highest.

MP has inherited one where it's the lowest it has been for a long, long time.

I don't get the argument that we shouldn't have sacked Puel, because MP hasn't pulled up trees. It is completely possible (yet to be seen either way IMO) that Les made the incorrect decision in appointing MP. There were and is still better managers on the market then both Puel and MP. We were right to sack Puel, (possibly) wrong to appoint MP.

Kooman on £6M a year , spent £140M on players (unlike his old club who wouldn't match his vision) but his team can't play for toffee . His team selection has been described as fitting round pegs in square holes . So , what if Kooman had stayed at Saints and bought in £140M "worth" of players would Saints be scoring for fun ?

Lets also remember that Puel inherited a squad that's confidence/moral was at it's highest.

MP has inherited one where it's the lowest it has been for a long, long time.

I don't get the argument that we shouldn't have sacked Puel, because MP hasn't pulled up trees. It is completely possible (yet to be seen either way IMO) that Les made the incorrect decision in appointing MP. There were and is still better managers on the market then both Puel and MP. We were right to sack Puel, (possibly) wrong to appoint MP.

MoPe should have inherited a load of very happy players though. They got what they, allegedly, wanted with Puel being sacked and got a new manager and a clean slate for every player.

Unfortunately giving the players what they wanted doesn't seem to have resulted in them playing any better in fact they actually seem to be getting worse it will be interesting to see how long it takes the players to start laying the blame for that at MoPes door.

Let's deal with the myth about Puel having to deal with all these injuries...so as MP has had 7 games is it? Let's compare like for like...

MP has only had a not match fit VVD for all 7 games, without him being available at all for the first four was it?

In the first 7 league games last season which player did Puel not have avaiable to him?

We can't yet compare for "half a season" as MP hasn't had half a season?

i am pretty sure Puel had VVD and Austin during that time so actually MP is at a disadvantage surely?

(TBH I think that injuries and sulking players is tough..they are paid millions of pounds a year to get round that sort of thing not use it as an excuse but it seems like some people don't think that way!)

Good start. Now deal with European games, League cup run and three May home games at fag end of season.....

A few facts, that I cannot imagine anyone can dispute.....

Puel had two games per week, including Euro travels and a long successful league cup run against top flight opposition.

MP, after the shambles of Wolves reserves, has week after week of uninterrupted coaching time

Puel missed his top goal scorer for half the season, and his best player for the other half

MP has a fully fit squad. And Lamina. And Hoedt

Puel was given literally no one to replace Pelle with. Redmond was the replacement for Mane, or perhaps Gabbiadini in January was.

Not only did we get to Wembley without conceding a goal against top flight opposition, including away trips to Arsenal and Liverpool, but we outplayed Man Utd on the day and were denied a perfectly legal goal. With VVD injured.

If all of the above don't adequately explain why we ended up with fewer points than the previous season, throw in the fact that Liverpool, Chelsea and Everton all had no European football.

If, as others have commented, the reason was team morale then I assume those same players are not excelling?

It's time to accept that we have sacked a good coach due to a few poor home performances in a unique season that saw us have three home games in the dead end month of May. A MASSIVE uplift in points from MP is required to fairly account for what is an easier set of cards to play given the above. Let's hope he delivers that and everyone can say it was a good decision. Would you bet on that?

Yeah, I thought the thread was about Pellegrino, not about giving Puel a reach-around from across the channel :thumbup: