Redmond, McCann or Ripley

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

A bit of light heartedness after today's latest defeat. Nathan Redmond, Neil McCann & Stuart Ripley are 3 Saints wingers who have attracted a reasonable amount of derision from our fans during more recent times.

You have to pick one to be in our current Saints line up, based on their Saints form alone. Who do you pick...

I remember watching McCann in a pre-season friendly at Eastleigh. He was so comically poor I doubt he would have made The Spitfires bench that day.

A bench which featured Wayne "Pie Gate" Shaw no less. Theo Walcott came on looking about 8 years old and made McCann look even worse.

Of the three, Redmond by a mile is the best, but that's not saying anything much at all.

Ripley was basic but could cross.

Redmond is a premier league Ryan Smith. I do not mean this as a compliment to either.

Really wish Sims was fit. Expectations of the attack are so low he and McQueen would be better. I enjoyed watching them early last season, thought McQueen was excellent at Arsenal in the cup further forward and Sims has made some great cameos. Redmond doesn't ever strike me as a player who'll learn and improve. He'll just stay as he is.

Stupid thing is, a purple patch of 4/5 goals in a month or two would probably fool some club into paying a fortune for him anyway.

Bayern will be looking to replace Robben sooner rather than later.

As to the original question I'm going to have to say Ripley, simply because I have the pleasure of never having seen him play for Saints.

Christ can't believe you've lumped Redmond in with Neil McCann. Probably only saints player I seen that was worse than McCann was Dia

I wouldn't go that far, we've had some sh*te over the years.

Forepast

James - Lancashire - Davenport - Bernard

Thomson - Gobern - Liptak* - McCann

Pekhart - Pericard

*I think he was a central midfielder. F**k knows he was all over the place, it's hard to be certain.

Neil McCann was probably the worst of the lot by some, but a call out for Andrei Kanchelski.

Kanchelskis played 1 senior game - which we won. He was in the decline of a brilliant career that Redmond - relegated twice already - will never come close to matching

McCann's best was when he knocked in two crosses/corners for Delap when we drew 2-2 at Highbury. I think Van Persie equalised about 10 minutes into injuyry time. Just after the "invincibles" lost to Man Utd.

There was one Sunday game, live on TV, against Luton, we won 1-0, Walcott scored and McCann was okay. That's the only time I remember him BEING anything but utter garbage.

Kanchelskis played 1 senior game - which we won. He was in the decline of a brilliant career that Redmond - relegated twice already - will never come close to matching

I didn't research his Saints career before posting, just remember him carry a bit of timber and ambling down the wing on the Kingsland side of the pitch. So glad the incumbent manager saw the light.

De Ridder was a handy Championship squad player tbf. Not terrible by any means. He was just worshipped because of a fantastic debut against WBA in a friendly and everyone expected him to be a world beater.

I agree, McCann never did anything half as good as De Ridder's goal at the Mad Stad.

I actually remember being fairly optimistic about McCann signing, as that was when Scottish football wasn't regarded as totally terrible (Larson in his prime, Barry Ferguson being good, etc.) - Afterwards, it became apparent that this wasn't the case.

Edited by lloydie
Missed a word

Got 1 cap for England did our Ripley... it speaks volumes of English football in the 90's to say the least.

Two caps, he was every effective at Blackburn feeding Shearer and Sutton with his direct running and crossing. His hamstrings were done by time he came to us though.

Very sad that a very good and promising player has been tagged to the other 2. Nathan Redmond is a fine player, who is low on confidence. Perhaps a couple of games on the bench may do him good, as fans will then want him back in the team.

There again, most wanted Puel gone, and that worked out well, didn't it?. Still an appalling way to treat a decent man, who gave us some footballing highs that we may not see again for decades

Very sad that a very good and promising player has been tagged to the other 2. Nathan Redmond is a fine player, who is low on confidence. Perhaps a couple of games on the bench may do him good, as fans will then want him back in the team.

There again, most wanted Puel gone, and that worked out well, didn't it?. Still an appalling way to treat a decent man, who gave us some footballing highs that we may not see again for decades

Its the must have scapegoat thread...

It does seem a bit silly suggesting players we had in lower divisions. Hardly surprising when we were in League One, or cash-strapped in the Championship and heading for relegation that we had at least a few terrible players.

I remember McCann coming on for Anders Svensson and the crowd booing when his name was announced. Strachan turned and sarcastically applauded the fans for that.

You seem to have fallen into the trap you accuse other fans of falling into. On the one hand you're suggesting Redmond will become more popular simply by not playing. On the other you're looking back on Puel and his awful, boring football with fondness.

I wouldn't say he lacks confidence, I would say that he needs to pull his head out of hie arrrse and look up. His personality prevents him from being the player that he could easily be. I will be very surprised if he ever becomes an England or Saints legend.