Is the Long experiment over?

Dusic

Long has a part to play for us, he is a useful player. Not a no 9 though in a million years.

Has great pace and commitment, and wins a decent amount of headers for his height.

That's all well and good. But he offers no goal threat whatsoever. If we are going to persist with playing a lone striker, then that player needs to be someone who can actually stick the ball in the net. And when the 3 attacking midfielders behind him don't/can't chip in with goals as well, it's a recipe for disaster.

I'm thinking 4-4-1-1 is the way to go.

------------------Gabbiadini-------------------

----------------------Long--------------------------

Boufal--Lemina--Romeu--Tadic/JWP

(Tadic/JWP = depending on opposition)

Either way, someone needs to play with Gabbi because his style of play isn't conducive to keeping possession, and therefore invites a lot of pressure/breaks down easily.

At his peak, Long was lower Premier League standard. None of the top teams would have been interested in him, even then. Now, he is Championship standard i.e. he shouldn't really be playing at this level. He runs as fast as he can and then seems incapable of controlling the ball when he reaches the penalty area so it goes back to the opposition. He can't stop goals and he can't make or score them so basically he is just making up the numbers. He has no goals and 1 assist in his last 17 Premier League games. He remains popular with fans because he is a cheeky Irish chappy who runs around a lot and tries hard. You could argue that when we are looking for a 0-0 draw against one of the bottom teams, he is an extra defender as he harries opposition players but he is a very poor excuse for a striker. I'm not insulting him, just pointing out that he is a weak link in our team and one of the main reasons why we haven't been winning games. Our squad is much weaker than it used to be so we haven't got many options up front but Seager might be worth a try if we can't afford to but a goal scorer.

Isn't the point of experiments to find out answers that aren't already known?

The results have been in on Long for many a year: he averages less than 6 goals per season in the Premier League. That's not very good.

No-one can be remotely surprised that he's doing a woefully inadequate job of leading the line.

And yet, here we are: playing one up top, who doesn't score, during a horrible period in which we're desperate for goals.

Funny old game, Saints.

As above long on the right, gabbi through the middle
He has played out wide before and is worse there than up front. His first touch, passing, crossing and combination play aren't good enough to play wide in the PL.

Austin is our most natural goalscorer, look at his record, he has scored bucket loads of goals whereever he has been. Ok so he doesn't run around like Long but give him a decent run of games with decent service and he WILL get goals.

Lets not forget, he was last seasons top scorer despite being injured for most of it!!

That's all well and good. But he offers no goal threat whatsoever. If we are going to persist with playing a lone striker, then that player needs to be someone who can actually stick the ball in the net. And when the 3 attacking midfielders behind him don't/can't chip in with goals as well, it's a recipe for disaster.

That's being far too simplistic. Oh wait, sorry, no it's not. It's bloody obvious ... to everyone except MP.

Long's best position is on the right. Way, way over on the right, up behind the dugouts in the directors box. He's a Championship striker, a more attractive Brett Ormerod. He doesn't put pressure on defenses, he just runs a lot. At this level I want a lot more from a striker than simply winning a few throw ins by chasing down fullbacks. If anything he relieves pressure by regularly giving away goal kicks and offsides. I often think playing Yoshida up front would lead to more goals.

I like the energy Long brings to the team but that doesn't mean he should be our main striker. Agree he should be on the right; his crossing is actually a little underrated and he could still bring that constant chasing down & pressuring of the defence to the side.

Gabbi would undoubtedly appreciate the support of another out & out forward player too, creating space for him.

We went and spent £15m on Gabbiadini because we had established that Long wasn't anywhere near good enough in the same formation we are playing now. Reed, Black and Watson all knew this. Yet here we are again having the same debate. I really worry about MoPe - yes Puel got us into this rut with his negative slow possession game but here we are 8 games in and MoPe has tried nothing new - either personnel or formation up top. Sadly can't see it changing unless he changes formation - which from his interviews he doesn't seem ready to do. We've actually been here before with Koeman but he was good enough to get us out of it by changing formation to stop the rot. Sadly at the moment our fwd is one of the worst in the division, and our attacking support isn't far behind.

Long up front on his own doesn't work unless we're playing on the counter attack, which we don't do. Play him on the right, drop Redmond and put Gabbiadini up front.

However, I have a feeling that he'll just drop Redmond for Boufal instead

Redmond seems undroppable at present,to the utter bewilderment of anyone who watches him play

Austin is our most natural goalscorer, look at his record, he has scored bucket loads of goals whereever he has been. Ok so he doesn't run around like Long but give him a decent run of games with decent service and he WILL get goals.

Lets not forget, he was last seasons top scorer despite being injured for most of it!!

About running, Matt Le Tiss wasn't exactly energetic. He knew where to be when it was necessary. Gabbi and Austin both have this quality. Long does have the skill to open up defences, it's true. So build the team around goalscorers and providers

About running, Matt Le Tiss wasn't exactly energetic. He knew where to be when it was necessary. Gabbi and Austin both have this quality. Long does have the skill to open up defences, it's true. So build the team around goalscorers and providers

You do realise that Matt has been retired 14 odd years and in that time the top flight has got quicker & quicker don't you? Mick Quinn scored a lot of goals , but that doesn't mean a fat twt would in 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pace is all relative and speed of thought is worth more than anything. If you are intelligent you can always be in the right place. Look at Kane, he's not particularly quick. Hes' just quick enough.

Anyway personally I'd play Austin. Gabbi seems to be getting a free pass. People criticise Long as he just runs around a lot. Well Gabbi hasn't done much more since his great start. I hear all about his "intelligent" runs but he is simply not getting into games. Making the same runs each week and not getting the ball doesn't seem that intelligent to me. Yes the service is terrible but until we sort that out we are basically carrying him.

Austin is our best finisher. he has the record to prove it and if I was him getting ten minutes each week I'd be getting well p'ed off. We were all pleased he signed but worried about fitness. Now he's fully fit, the team aren't scoring and he's last choice behind Long.

Been saying this for months.

What people overlook with Long, the same as they do with Ward-Prowse, is the fact that, although he runs about a lot, he usually gives the ball away to the opposition, by running it of play, being offside or just losing control of the ball, and hardly ever helps create a goal (just 1 assist and no goals in his last 17 Premier League games). He is not helping us win games and so should be dropped.

Couldn't agree more. Give him a run with Gabbi, provide some service and that goal drought will end. Couldn't care less if he doesn't run like a headless chicken, he scores goals. He must be so hacked off right now watching our inept striking performances.

I'd also play Long TBH but out wide where he can use his pace to run hard at defences and disrupt, that's what he's good at - not goal scoring.

You do realise that Matt has been retired 14 odd years and in that time the top flight has got quicker & quicker don't you? Mick Quinn scored a lot of goals , but that doesn't mean a fat twt would in 2017.

My word comparing Austin with le tiss haha. Le tiss had natural ability which was from heaven slightly different. When he wasn't scoring was assisting just as many. Le tiss wasn't always overweight either. Mad comparison.

My word comparing Austin with le tiss haha. Le tiss had natural ability which was from heaven slightly different. When he wasn't scoring was assisting just as many. Le tiss wasn't always overweight either. Mad comparison.

Apart from the voices in your head who is comparing Matt with Austin,

Amazed so many want Long to play out wide.

1. His first touch is woeful

2. His passing is dreadful

3. His awareness of teammates is lacking

4. Technically he is a poor player

5. He can't cross a ball

6. If he never scores up front then he won't from out wide.

To be less than 10 games in and having Long back in the starting lineup after such a poor season last year just shows what a cluster**** we made of the transfer window, in an attacking sense.

Amazed so many want Long to play out wide.

1. His first touch is woeful

2. His passing is dreadful

3. His awareness of teammates is lacking

4. Technically he is a poor player

5. He can't cross a ball

6. If he never scores up front then he won't from out wide.

To be less than 10 games in and having Long back in the starting lineup after such a poor season last year just shows what a cluster**** we made of the transfer window, in an attacking sense.

His finishing is grabbing the headlines:

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/long-stuns-dublin-with-amazing-miss

He is bloody awful. Its amazing for him to be in a PL squad let alone a starter for a team that supposedly wants to be top 10.

I can't think of one PL side he would get in the team as a lone striker apart from Brighton, Newcastle and a Mounie-less Huddersfield.

That says a lot. We should hsve moved Long on in the summer. We have had the best of him that snd was mediocre. I the best attribute of my striker to be more than running and winning cheap free kicks.

If Saints fans supported every player like they do with Long, we'd have a brilliant support. Had a standing ovation against United despite not really having much effect.

We love a crap player who runs around a lot, even better if they clap the fans at the end. See also Steeeeeeweve De Ridder, Tanadari Lee, Bradley Wright Phillips. It's incredible the grief Pelle used to get, now all the f*ckwits are saying his type exactly what we need :lol:

I don't mind Long, he a decent squad player, works hard and unsettles defences bur first choice striker for a top 10 side, do me

A favour.

We love a crap player who runs around a lot, even better if they clap the fans at the end. See also Steeeeeeweve De Ridder, Tanadari Lee, Bradley Wright Phillips. It's incredible the grief Pelle used to get, now all the f*ckwits are saying his type exactly what we need :lol:

I don't mind Long, he a decent squad player, works hard and unsettles defences bur first choice striker for a top 10 side, do me

A favour.

Bradley Wright-Phillips was cheered because he robbed from the skates

If Saints fans supported every player like they do with Long, we'd have a brilliant support. Had a standing ovation against United despite not really having much effect.

Effort goes a long way. Us fans love a trier. Not Long’s fault he has the goal instinct of a clumsy L2 centre back.

Winds me up how many idiots sing Tadic’s name. But they just like a sing song. And not forgetting how upset they get when others don’t singalong with them championing this chap who’d clearly run through walls for Saints such is his commitment to the cause.

Effort goes a long way. Us fans love a trier. Not Long’s fault he has the goal instinct of a clumsy L2 centre back.

Winds me up how many idiots sing Tadic’s name. But they just like a sing song. And not forgetting how upset they get when others don’t singalong with them championing this chap who’d clearly run through walls for Saints such is his commitment to the cause.

I get that, but I'd rather singing Tadic's name than having a go at one of our few players capable of being a matchwinner.

Same story for his country too...

"Shane Long could have doubled the lead in the 16th minute when he collected Callum O'Dowda's reverse pass, but his effort skidded narrowly wide of the post."

"Long's goal drought, which has gone on for 23 games for club and country, continues as his effort in the 22nd minute was blocked by Ilie Cebanu in goal before his rebound was cleared away."

"Long missed another glorious chance on the hour mark. O'Dowda's blocked shot landed at the feet of Long, who simply had to prod the ball into the empty goal, but instead fired his effort wide."

A favour.

Same as me, nice alternative but shouldn't be more than second choice.

Never got why players like Mane and Pelle get constant flak and others don't simply because they run around.

And hes in my dream team please play him hes our only target forward thats not affraid of the goal.

I'd play Long, Gabbi, and Austin together. Either 3 upfront, or Gabbi and Austin with Long tucked in for Redmond. We need to score goals, passing the ball with pace around midfield doesn't do us any good, and frankly we just make it very easy for the other team to defend.

Don't think dropping Gabbi is any sort of answer. If he's not getting involved in games address that issue...I don't think any of our strikers are having a field day regards 'getting involved'. He needs to start and the team needs to work on a more attacking strategy.

Don't think dropping Gabbi is any sort of answer. If he's not getting involved in games address that issue...I don't think any of our strikers are having a field day regards 'getting involved'. He needs to start and the team needs to work on a more attacking strategy.

This would be my option coach the rest of the team to get the best out of Gabbi.

I like long and always have , and no it’s not just because he runs around a lot. For a club of our size & our wage bill he’s a good squad player, can play up top alone, part of a 3 or in a 2. Doesn’t kick up much of a fuss when in & out , & seems a decent bloke. Clearly the bit he’s lacking is in the goal scoring department, hence why he’s at our club & not higher. He’s quick, chases lost causes, good in the air for his size, harries defenders & gives us something different than either Gabbi or Austin. The fact he’s made a top flight & international career up front without being able to put the ball in the net, is testament to how good the other bits of his game are, and how much he does unsettle defenders.

I do think Gabbi gets a bit of a free pass on here, since his injury he hasn’t really looked like scoring, and hasn’t done a lot, even the one he did score Hart should have done better imo. Austin is our best goal scorer imo , but clearly he has mobility issues. I think the club probably thought Gabbi would continue his pre injury form & if he had of , long & Austin backing him up is pretty good. We are where we are and I don’t think playing all 3 is an option. Maybe Gabbi & Austin when we’re going to dominate the ball & Long & Gabbi when we’re not.

Maybe nothing, but I can’t help thinking that things may of been different had Gabbi been given the first Peno against West Ham. He’d just scored & had he knocked that in as well would have been flying . Who knows he may have been still on the pitch chasing his hat trick when the second peno was awarded. He seems a streaky striker, 2 or 3 goals that day could have kick started his season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk