Rickie Lambert retires

Maggie May

He could do no wrong for us. Even when he left for Liverpool I couldn't feel betrayed, or angry. He had given us everything, so many incredible memories, so many excellent performances and goals. He had earned his dream move.

My personal favourite Rickie goal was a turn and finish against Huddersfield (I think it was, a 4-1 home win around Christmas 2010). He was going through a bit of a tricky patch as we started our second season in League 1 slowly. His physicality to hold off the Huddersfield defenders on the turn and lash the ball underneath the keeper's futile effort to dive onto it was peak Rickie..... Beautiful control, dominating presence and fierce power.

From that point on he, and we never looked back. We climbed into the play-off spots, vaulted into second and then continued our momentum all the way to the top flight.

Born a Scouser..... Achieved immortality as a Saint.

Edited by Colinjb

How about we give him testimonial friendly at SMS as no other bugger will least of all the bin dippers of Merseyside

That's a very good idea, my friend. Saints current XI vs Saints Div 1 side. Get them all back. Papa Waigo, Hammond, Viafara, the whole lot, if possible. Get Nigel Adkins to manage.

What a lift it would give to all the fans, who would raise the roof and inspire the current side too.

Next international break?

Thank you Rickie for everything. If it weren't for a big part of you we wouldn't be where we are today. It was an absolute joy to watch you - all the goals, assists and the humble person that you are. The goal against Scotland at Wembley topped it all off!

Hopefully we will see you back at SMS very soon in a coaching capacity. A true Saints legend.

Thank you so much again Rickie - my hero :)

Edited by davefizzy14

Thanks Rickie! Best Million quid we ever paid, not only did we get his best years, but he fired us up the leagues, made his debut for England (and scored the winner against Scotland), and we still made a 400% profit on him.

Get him on the banner! Oh wait...

He was the bargain of the decade! Fantastic player and his enthusiasm was genuine and infectious.

As others have said a true Southampton Legend. Watching back the videos of his goals does show how poor we are at shooting now . Loved the Ricky story - from factory worker to England striker , and wouldnt want to change that , but i wonder if he would have been even better had he been discovered at an earlier age.

Personal highlights for me:

- The goals away at Palace, a step ahead of everyone on the pitch for each of them.

- His performance away at Ipswich in the 5-2 win, ridiculously good.

- His third (I think) away at MK Dons from miles out.

- The dream England debut

Out best since Le Tiss and probably the best we'll see for a long while yet. Enjoy retirement, Rickie.

Damn, hearing this has almost brought a grown man to tears.

24 years a Saints fan and he's only behind MLT in the legend stakes for me. Was delighted when we signed him but never in my wildest dreams did I think he would be that huge a success. Seeing him score on his debut in the League Cup against Northampton seems like only yesterday, what memories he gave us. That debut goal for England I think we all celebrated as if it was a Saints goal, truly the stuff of fairytales.

Thanks for the happy memories Rickie and enjoy your retirement, would love to see you back at the club in some capacity one day!

I enjoyed ever aspect of Rickie at the club. He was our goal machine, our talisman, our charm. When he came to su he was a fat 1m stricker, fresh out of the Branstons factory according to the press, and helped turn us around and get us back to the top. And when he did that he got picked for England,"Cause they though they should", and gave him a few minutes on the pitch, "cause it can't hurt, and he cant do no damage at this stage, with 20 minutes to go." and went out and scored a fantastic goal, with his head to announce his entrance on the international stage.

When you went we didn't begrudge you for your dream move to your dream team, missed you though.

Now you are retiring we wish to wish you all the best, and hope you have a happy retirement and every success in your follow up career.....................As attacking and penalty coach at Southampton Football club? We could do worse and we could really do with his help.

He did so much more and had more talent than ever he was given credit for. I think he had more ability than even he realised. I am so glad he reached his peak with us and did more to take us to where we are now than any other player.

Many, many favourite moments but, for me, the one that epitomised his all round talent was at Fulham. A truly magnificent long range pass from the edge of our own penalty area perfectly into the path of Jay Rodriguez who takes a few more strides to go on and score. Brilliant!

He did so much more and had more talent than ever he was given credit for. I think he had more ability than even he realised. I am so glad he reached his peak with us and did more to take us to where we are now than any other player.

Many, many favourite moments but, for me, the one that epitomised his all round talent was at Fulham. A truly magnificent long range pass from the edge of our own penalty area perfectly into the path of Jay Rodriguez who takes a few more strides to go on and score. Brilliant!

A stand out moment for me too. That pass and Jay Rod`s finish just sublime.

That's a very good idea, my friend. Saints current XI vs Saints Div 1 side. Get them all back. Papa Waigo, Hammond, Viafara, the whole lot, if possible. Get Nigel Adkins to manage.

What a lift it would give to all the fans, who would raise the roof and inspire the current side too.

Next international break?

The League 1 XI would probably win, which wouldn't be good for anyone.

What a player gutted he couldn't get a few more seasons in football. Was so

Integral to our recent history and a joy to watch him play. His England goal against Scotland was an amazing moment. We couldn't do any worse than getting him involved within the club.

The Lambert years are among the best I've followed Saints (since the 1960's). It was an incredible journey and RL was very much the talisman of it.

He really does deserve his place amongst the greats with Channon, MLT etc

He was that link between the fans and the club. Being in League One, as stupid as it sounds, made me identify with the club more. Everything that was happening (Kelvin turning down West Ham, Lallana staying, Liebherr's coming in with their promises) was pretty much everything I ever wanted from my club. I never wanted a sugar daddy, I wanted it to be done the right way. Then this guy comes and just takes it to another level. At every step up, you felt that the team and fans were doing it together. 30K v Leeds and Exeter in League one. If Pompey did that, we'd never hear the end of it. He took the Championship by storm. And then at City first game away in the prem - when he scored that goal, I just remember pure ecstasy at the Etihad. Perhaps it was Le Tiss's and Merson's argument before it (about him not getting double figures) but I never doubted he would do it in the Prem. I had stayed at my brother's that weekend in Manchester who was a die hard Utd fan. I had told him about Saints and he had dismissed us. I got a text just after that goal saying "ok, now I am impressed". He, as much as everybody gave us our respect back.

Too many Saints memories to mention. But the England v Scotland game, I was out on a stag do in Bristol. Literally everybody was slagging him off when he came on. I had £20 on him as anytime goalscorer. I had been bigging him up all game to people I didn't know and they were just laughing at me. I have never, ever celebrated an England goal more than that - and it wasn't to do with bragging rights, wasn't because of the bet, wasn't because he had proved me right. It was just because nobody deserved it more, you could see what it meant to him and it was the culmination of one of us doing what we all dream of. Scoring a winner at Wembley against Scotland. Truly an inspiration.

An absolute Legend for us.

First post in years but if anyone deserves it, Rickie does.

As well as all the obvious goals and link-up play we all fondly remember (that we so badly miss at present!), for me Lambert's debut England goal will never be forgotten because it was the night my Dad passed away.

Dad loved Lambert and was chuffed when he got the call-up. He had grown somewhat tired of football as his condition progressed and although he looked up results and skim-read the Daily Echo reports with what he had left of his eyesight, he no longer listened to much radio commentary and certainly never watched any games or highlights on television anymore. He had been in a nursing home for several years by now but we talked about football every time i visited and he would have banter with the nursing home staff who were football fans, especially one scouser!

I'll never know if Dad had followed the game that night but I like to think that, having seen or heard his favourite Saints player for many generations score on his England debut against Scotland, there wasn't much else to hang around for! He passed away peacefully early the next morning.

Dad had grown tired of the money and politics in football, but in Lambert he just saw a lad who loved to play, who gave his all, and who was genuinely grateful for the opportunity life, and football, had granted him. It was an all-too-rare glimpse of how football and footballers *should* be, in his eyes. And who could argue with that?

Rickie's statement just typifies that attitude and if it's possible, I think I love him a little bit more now.

On behalf of my Dad, thanks Rickie.

Minty

As well as all the obvious goals and link-up play we all fondly remember (that we so badly miss at present!), for me Lambert's debut England goal will never be forgotten because it was the night my Dad passed away.

Dad loved Lambert and was chuffed when he got the call-up. He had grown somewhat tired of football as his condition progressed and although he looked up results and skim-read the Daily Echo reports with what he had left of his eyesight, he no longer listened to much radio commentary and certainly never watched any games or highlights on television anymore. He had been in a nursing home for several years by now but we talked about football every time i visited and he would have banter with the nursing home staff who were football fans, especially one scouser!

I'll never know if Dad had followed the game that night but I like to think that, having seen or heard his favourite Saints player for many generations score on his England debut against Scotland, there wasn't much else to hang around for! He passed away peacefully early the next morning.

Dad had grown tired of the money and politics in football, but in Lambert he just saw a lad who loved to play, who gave his all, and who was genuinely grateful for the opportunity life, and football, had granted him. It was an all-too-rare glimpse of how football and footballers *should* be, in his eyes. And who could argue with that?

Rickie's statement just typifies that attitude and if it's possible, I think I love him a little bit more now.

Minty

Great post & thanks for sharing.

You should stick around, Minty.

Minty

Yep, top post.

Hopefully your Dad did get to at least hear of Rickie's goal against the Jocks, one of my favourite and most joyous moments in 5 decades of watching football, which may have just briefly restored a bit of love for the game most of us older fans have become very cynical about.

Minty

Great post and good to hear from you.

I have photo of him and me taken after the 1st pre season friendly in Spain, my brother in law somehow got hold of it and made a fun front page newspaper with it in a frame for my 50th. Many of these things get tucked away after a couple of years but this sits proudly on the side in full view. Mrs JBS often comments what we would give to have him here now still playing in his pomp.

Like many have said that England goal can't have left a dry eye in any Southampton fans house, when the corner was about to be taken you had a feeling if anyone could get on the end of it Rickie could, sure enough just as he had with us so many times he delivered.

i read a comment after that goal from Pochettino who said that he leapt from his seat at home and cheered more than if Argentina had scored, and his family looked at him in shock at celebrating an England goal in such a way!

A mention for Pardew too, Rickie said that until he came to Saints he never conditioned himself as perhaps he should, Alan Pardew had a word basically telling him to get himself sorted out and into a professional regime, and from that point never looked back.

Top bloke, top player, thank you Rickie and happy retirement

I only watched up to goal 30 (I'm at work!) but goal 29 was my favourite so far. Great volley from far out, route one at its best.

Probably my favourite goal of his personally for importance if nothing else was the penalty in the JPT final that set us on our way to the trophy. A great day.

Other than MLT, absolutely my favourite player we've had in my lifetime. A gent, a hero, and a guy that genuinely loved Saints and football in general. He epitomised what we were about as we rose up the league and took on the Prem.

If you haven't watched this before, enjoy. I think one of the reason everyone loved his England story so much was because he lived it like any normal bloke wouid - absolutely realising his dreams.