Rickie Lambert retires

Maggie May

Easily my favorite player of the 'modern' era - given what he achieved for us in such a short space of time.

I think it's safe to say he had his best years with us, glad that he acknowledges that as well. When we signed him that was what I'd call a Marquee signing given our status at the time and given that he could have gone to any higher division clubs. I remember when we signed him as well, all started to leak out on a Sunday evening if i remember right - then it was announced on the Monday or Tuesday of the following week. You will not get better value for £1m ever again.

Hope he's welcomed back into football in some capacity when he's recharged.

When we went through what we went through with relegation & admin etc, you always dream that when you sign a new striker that he will unrealistically score a million goals & fire you up through the leagues etc.

He actually achieved that wth us & made my footballing dream reality - I'll always be massively grateful for that.

Happy retirement, SRL.

Saints legend. My favourite ever footballer and all round nice guy apparently.

Happy retirement, big man. I'll tell my grandchildren about the memories you gave us. One last time:

He stood just over 6ft3,

Rickie, Rickie.

He took us to the Premier League,

Rickie, Rickie.

He got the ball,

He took the ****.

He wore the shirt of Matt Le Tiss.

Rickie Lambert,

Southampton's goal machine.

Closest thing I've ever had to a man crush guy will always be legend for me.

My kids were lucky enough to start watching saints just as we signed Rickie so I basically credit him, and all his goals, for turning my kids into die hard saints fans.

Cheers for every thing you did in a saints shirt Rickie Lambert.

When we went through what we went through with relegation & admin etc, you always dream that when you sign a new striker that he will unrealistically score a million goals & fire you up through the leagues etc.

He actually achieved that wth us & made my footballing dream reality - I'll always be massively grateful for that.

Well said.

All the very best to a top bloke and undoubted legend

and again

He stood just over 6ft3,

Rickie, Rickie.

He took us to the Premier League,

Rickie, Rickie.

He got the ball,

He took the ****.

He wore the shirt of Matt Le Tiss.

Rickie Lambert,

Southampton's goal machine.

Like others have said, feeling emotional about this. He always made me cry (in a good way). Goals at Wembley, against Pompey at Fratton and St Mary's. His winner vs Scotland and the smile on his face at the final whistle. It's funny how football and footballers can mean so much to you. I have never met the guy but if I have ever have the privilege of doing so, I will simply say thank you for bringing me joy and giving our club its pride back. Absolute club legend!

Like others have said, feeling emotional about this. He always made me cry (in a good way). Goals at Wembley, against Pompey at Fratton and St Mary's. His winner vs Scotland and the smile on his face at the final whistle. It's funny how football and footballers can mean so much to you. I have never met the guy but if I have ever have the privilege of doing so, I will simply say thank you for bringing me joy and giving our club its pride back. Absolute club legend!

You always got the feeling he genuinely realised that he was lucky that he got to play football for a living and loved doing so. Everything he achieved he had to work hard for. I think it was something the fans appreciated and something that seems to be missing in a lot of modern footballers.

Cannot add much to what has already been said.

An absolute legend of a man, who in hindsight should not have gone to Liverpool, even though it was understandable at the time.

I will never forgive Brendan Rodgers for effectively ruining his career.

Thank you Rickie for the goals and the memories.

For me, Rickie is the player who best symbolises our ascension from League 1 back to the Premier League. Sure, there were other major contributors like Lallana, Schneiderlin, Fonte and Kelvin but Rickie was the standout. His own personal progression was in parallel to the team; each time we successfully took that next step up, so did he. When we reached the top flight of the domestic game, he got his chance to show he could succeed at that level, too, and got a richly deserved England call up (and that turned out pretty well, too).

Even though in my head it was obvious he would never be coming back, as age caught up with him in the past couple of years, I always held that slight hope that he'd be back, even if just on some form of pay as you play deal, for one last hurrah. Best of luck to him in whatever he does now, though. He'll always be revered as a genuine Saints legend. And, if he wants to take on a role as a finishing coach somewhere, I know one place he'd be extremely useful currently...

With the way football is going it maybe that you provided me with the last moment of pure pride and joy in my 30 years of supporting saints when you scored that goal against scotland (Only maybe beaten by Le Tiss and the final goal at The Dell).

I think i can say for all here, WE ARE PROUD TO CALL YOU A SAINTS LEGEND and proud that we seem to mean the same to you too.

Good luck to you and your family and lets all hope that all concerned can find a place for you to contribute once again to the story of Southampton Football Club!

I remember years ago I had two favourite non Saints players, firstly Rickie Lambert and secondly Marcus Stewart. So imagine how I felt when Rickie signed for Saints but to see what he went on to achieve was probably beyond his and all us Saints fans dreams to be honest. I like to think that having gone through what our club has, we have a soft spot for a lot of "non fashionable teams" in the lower leagues who probably dream of having a day out at Wembley like we did against Carlisle that day.

Rickie was a truly fantastic player for Saints and a great bloke as well - as others have said, he genuinely seems to have appreciated his career and where he came from - he worked hard to achieve all he did. I'm sure he loved his days at Bristol Rovers too but it is at Saints where he really fulfilled his ambitions culminating in playing for his country and scoring on debut. My favourite goal was his hat trick goal at MK Dons when we won 3-0 there, an amazing bit of vision from 35 yards but he scored many other great goals as well as achieving a perfect penalty success record.

Saints are very lucky to have had two such fantastic number sevens in their history and the enjoyment we all got watching them. All the best Rickie in whatever you do and really hope we see you back at St Marys one day in some role. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying we had some great times in League 1 and the Championship and that the Premiership is not the be all and end all when it comes to football and supporting our team. Players like Rickie are a rarity these days and should be treasured while we have them.

Don't know where to start describing how great SRL was for us. I started supporting Saints back in 2003, so missed the Le Tiss years. From the last 14 years it's easy to pick my favorite Saints player.

Special moments were his goals v Pompey and his first PL goal. Remember the commentator saying something in the line of: it didn't take long did it, a PL goal for Rickie Lambert.

Amazing player and hope to see him back here in a coaching role.

Thanks Rickie! Best Million quid we ever paid, not only did we get his best years, but he fired us up the leagues, made his debut for England (and scored the winner against Scotland), and we still made a 400% profit on him.

Get him on the banner! Oh wait...

So many great memories but for me the goal against Scotland was the stand out. You just so wanted him to do well for England and to score that goal with his first touch was unbelievable. Such a humble guy as his statement demonstrates.

All good wishes for a long and happy future, Rickie - thank you so much for all you did for the Saints and for all you gave to the fans of this wonderful club.

Hope we might see you back at SMS one day soon so we can give you a `proper` retirement send-off

All right then, of starters Les & Cro give him a free ticket for the next home match in the Director's block and give us the chance to give him a cheer...

Then, find him a job here in PR on the hospitality side and have him sneak into Staplewood on occasion to watch shooting practice and ask him what he thinks...

What's to lose

There's only One Ricky Lambert!