Barcelona and Old Firm to join PL

OldNick

I notice today that it has been muted that Barcelona may want to join the PL if Catelonia breaks away from Spain http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11833/11065472/barcelona-in-the-premier-league-would-be-difficult-says-arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger

The article goes onto say that the SFA had considered opening the door to let the Old Firm join the PL as well

Especially Celtic,but if any other club from abroad were to join the PL that would be my lot with PL football.

Imagine the scenes, as a club whose fans boo our national anthem, who sing songs about our soldiers being murdered etc, and all the hatred they would bring to our football grounds.

I notice today that it has been muted that Barcelona may want to join the PL if Catelonia breaks away from Spain http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11833/11065472/barcelona-in-the-premier-league-would-be-difficult-says-arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger

The article goes onto say that the SFA had considered opening the door to let the Old Firm join the PL as well

Especially Celtic,but if any other club from abroad were to join the PL that would be my lot with PL football.

Imagine the scenes, as a club whose fans boo our national anthem, who sing songs about our soldiers being murdered etc, and all the hatred they would bring to our football grounds.

When you say "muted" do you mean there is only a muffled sound of it?

Or are you mooting something?

Was thinking the problems in Spain could be the catalyst for a break away Super League with Barcelona leading the way. Can't see them, or the Jocks, ever joining the PL but Barca alone are probably powerful enough to entice Europe's biggest to a new set up that would suit the greedy b'stards.

Was thinking the problems in Spain could be the catalyst for a break away Super League with Barcelona leading the way. Can't see them, or the Jocks, ever joining the PL but Barca alone are probably powerful enough to entice Europe's biggest to a new set up that would suit the greedy b'stards.

Yes a breakaway league would be much more likely than Barca joining EPL. Still an annual trip to the Nou Camp would be something to look forward to.

I haven't got a problem with Scottish football joining the PL and EFL. Always been intrigued by how Celtic & Rangers would get on in the PL with the money.

If Barcelona do leave La Liga - It should be for a breakaway league not another domestic.

Once you start allowing big clubs to play in different countries there’s only one inevitable outcome. European super league.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It still boggles the mind as to exactly what the entrance criteria to this hypothetical league would be. Celtic would get in due to history and fanbase size I guess? Who from the English league would get in?

Whatever happens there will be some royally ****ed off clubs and fans.

I haven't got a problem with Scottish football joining the PL and EFL. Always been intrigued by how Celtic & Rangers would get on in the PL with the money.

If Barcelona do leave La Liga - It should be for a breakaway league not another domestic.

Having Celtic fans at our grounds would be not be a pleasant experience IMHO.

Why would we want to import a group of fans, who in a major part hate the English??

I recall the invasion of Rangers fans in the 1970's to the Dell and around our city. It was a very unpleasant experience indeed.

Whole idea is a flustercluck. Either do a European / World / Super league or whatever, but **** off and leave the Premier League alone. I don't want Jock, Spanish, Italian or whatever clubs in the league. And before anybody says Swansea and Cardiff - I'd **** them off as well. Sorry but as far as I'm concerned it's the English Premier League and should stay so.

And what would happen if they finished in the relegation places?

What about the other Catalan clubs that have played in La Liga league like Girona and Tarragona? Where would they go? Not to mention Espanyol (supposedly the Spanish club in Barcelona) and Barcelona B and all the other clubs that have played or play on Segunda B.

Personally I'm not sure I want the sectarianism of Celtic and Rangers anywhere near St Marys or the premier league - but if they did join I am sure they would find life a lot harder. But where would that leave the rest of Scottish football? They could always form an Atlantic League with the Irish football clubs I guess?

I can see a European Super League happening eventually - but would you have enough really big clubs for an 18 team division - and where would you draw the line?

So you have Real, Barca, Bayern, Juve, Inter, AC, PSG, ManUre and then who?

Citeh, Marseille, Napoli, Roma, Scousepool, Arse, Spurs, Chelski, Atletico, Benfica, Sporting Lisbon Valencia Porto, Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord?

Would have to join through the EFL who only take the top two clubs in the National League who have three divisions. They probably start at Southern League level. Won't happen. 14 turkeys won't vote for Christmas.

Having Celtic fans at our grounds would be not be a pleasant experience IMHO.

Why would we want to import a group of fans, who in a major part hate the English??

I recall the invasion of Rangers fans in the 1970's to the Dell and around our city. It was a very unpleasant experience indeed.

Celtic have already played us at St Mary's, for Lundekvam's testimonial.

None of the excitable pieces I've read about this have explained why the Catalan clubs wouldn't just stay in La Liga, or why we're just talking about Barca and not Espanyol et al.

I'd hate to have Barcelona in the Premier League, but like most I think the Old Firm would be great.

Edited by DuncanRG

None of the excitable pieces about this have explained why the Catalan clubs wouldn't just stay in La Liga, or why we're just talking about Barca and not Espanyol et al.

I'd hate to have Barcelona in the Premier League, but like most I think the Old Firm would be great.

Espanyol, historically, are supporters of a united Spain (Espanyol = catalan for Spanish)

Would have to join through the EFL who only take the top two clubs in the National League who have three divisions. They probably start at Southern League level. Won't happen. 14 turkeys won't vote for Christmas.

Would join as part of new PL2 which has been mooted for a while. No way they would join at any other lower level.

I honestly wouldn't mind too much if the top four at the end of this season effed off to a new European super league. Along with four from Spain, four from Germany, four from Italy and four from elsewhere. Whichever of the four English teams finished lowest in the new league would swap places after one season with the new champions of England.

Would actually give us a realistic shout of winning the league, and getting a season or two at the European top table.

Might also break Sky's business model which would be a laugh.

Yeah this is so going to happen, UEFA will just rubber stamp it. They are really supportive of this type of thing and numerous examples of this happening in the past.

Hey but there are always enough people to p1ss their pants at the sniff of a breakaway league story. Oh it’s international week I forgot.

No to the Scottish teams, why should they get a free pass into our top league, while our lower league clubs have to do it the hard way. These are the lot, that want to break away from the United Kingdom. Sod 'em, if they come, they should have to do it the hard way, from outside the leagues, and move up via promotion, but for me, no.

Whole idea is a flustercluck. Either do a European / World / Super league or whatever, but **** off and leave the Premier League alone. I don't want Jock, Spanish, Italian or whatever clubs in the league. And before anybody says Swansea and Cardiff - I'd **** them off as well. Sorry but as far as I'm concerned it's the English Premier League and should stay so.

Agree strongly with all this. And, unless you're a supporter of probably the 4 biggest clubs in England, why would you want the 2 Glasgow sides playing down here? After a couple of years or so (if they went straight into the PL) they'd be regular top 6 sides and push everyone else even further down the scale. They are both giants of clubs with massive global support (a lot in England for different/sectarian reasons) and the moment (if) they joined the PL they would have the clout to attract some top players. Initially they'd be mid-table but that would quickly change with the new money and spending power.

They'd also have to get used to only taking 3,000 to away games, they won't be able to flood stadiums like they do every away game north of the border but that would probably mean thousands of ticketless p*ssed up Jocks/Irish/hangers-on bowling up at matches round the country and the issues that would follow.

So that's a "no" from me.

The Premier League is a cash cow currently, not sure anyone involved would want to f*ck with it and risk upsetting that.

Not sure why Barcelona wouldn't just continue to play in La Liga, much like Swansea and Cardiff play in England or FC Andorra compete in the Spanish leagues. Plus this whole independence thing is fubar, turn out for their 'referendum' was only 42%, you can't create a new country when less than half the people have had a say.

And Celtic and Rangers can join the English league, but they start at the bottom like everyone else.

Couldn't give a damn to be honest, Overall I am losing interest in football for me last season was where it began. To much money in the game, players acting like idiots demanding stupid amounts of cash and holding clubs to ransom.

They should create a new English league and take it back to basics none of these Carlos Kick A balls / Stupid money being thrown around just 11 players in a team who are passionate.

If this was ever going to take off I wonder if Barca, Rangers and Celtic would have to start in league 2 and work their way up? Also if you are going to go full international how about a Dublin team, pretty sure they'd get huge support.

Pompey vs Barca would be worth a trip for a giggle (obviously in the Barca end)..........20 nil to Barca?

:lol:

News at Ten is still on, if you've got time to work it out!

I don't mean catalonia's planing to leave is cobblers. i mean that trying to link it to the tired old old firm premier league talking point or the european super league argument for this reason is cobblers.

Yes, that could of been mentioned as well.

it's really damaging to morals.

Plus this whole independence thing is fubar, turn out for their 'referendum' was only 42%, you can't create a new country when less than half the people have had a say.

It's no different to our own situation. 76% turned out for the Brexit vote...52% of which voted to leave so that's around say 38% of the population and the vote is carried...

90% of the 42% voted to leave so that's around the same 38% of the population.

No different..it's how democracy works. So the vote would be carried...

Except it's been declared illegal and the police tried to stop people voting etc