Best XI and subs since back in the Prem?

SNSUN

Chatting to my friend (Dipper fan) and came up with the notion that none of our current crop of players would get in to a first eleven of players we've had since we've been back in the Premier League, besides Virgil, on paper at least. It looked like:

Boruc

Clyne

Alderwereld

VVD

Shaw

Schneiderlin

Wanyama

Lallana

Mané

Rodriguez (pre-injury)

Lambert

Subs: Forster, Lovren, Bertrand, Romeu, Davis, Tadic, Pellé.

Is that accurate or would you alter it? I guess arguments could be made for Bertrand or Forster, but that's a pretty damning look at the quality of our current first team compared to players we've been lucky enough to have in the past. Nonetheless I have high hopes for Lemina, Hoedt and Gabbiadini, so if they come good then our recent recruitment hasn't been too bad.

Thats a good point. We all have a soft spot for Rickie ("take us to the Premier League" and all that) but his Saints hey-days were in L1 & Championship more than the Prem seasons he played.

I reckon Championship was his best season, but he was still good in our first Premier League year, it was only the second year up where you could really notice he had lost a step. But then Liverpool bought him, lol.

Chatting to my friend (Dipper fan) and came up with the notion that none of our current crop of players would get in to a first eleven of players we've had since we've been back in the Premier League, besides Virgil, on paper at least. It looked like:

Boruc

Clyne

Alderwereld

VVD

Shaw

Schneiderlin

Wanyama

Lallana

Mané

Rodriguez (pre-injury)

Lambert

Is this supposed to be based on how good they are today? Because Lambert wouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI. Gabbiadini, Austin & Long would all be more effective than a recently retired Lambert who struggled at a bottom half Championship side last season.

Plus from your starting XI... I'd rather have...

- Forster than Boruc

- Cedric than Clyne

- Bertrand than Shaw

...and Lemina & Romeu would give Schneiderlin & Wanyama a run for their money!

Is this supposed to be based on how good they are today? Because Lambert wouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI. Gabbiadini, Austin & Long would all be more effective than a recently retired Lambert who struggled at a bottom half Championship side last season.

- Forster than Boruc

- Cedric than Clyne

- Bertrand than Shaw

Obviously not, else we'd get him out of retirement and play him :mcinnes:

I reckon Championship was his best season, but he was still good in our first Premier League year, it was only the second year up where you could really notice he had lost a step. But then Liverpool bought him, lol.

Lambert was involved in more goals in his final season for us than his first season in the PL.

2013/14 13 goals, 10 assists.

2012/13 15 goals, 4 assists.

Boruc

Clyne

Alderwereld

VVD

Shaw

Schneiderlin

Wanyama

Lallana

Mané

Rodriguez (pre-injury)

Lambert

Is that accurate or would you alter it? I guess arguments could be made for Bertrand or Forster, but that's a pretty damning look at the quality of our current first team compared to players we've been lucky enough to have in the past. Nonetheless I have high hopes for Lemina, Hoedt and Gabbiadini, so if they come good then our recent recruitment hasn't been too bad.

My goodness, what a team! With that central pair in defense we could play without a goalie!

Lambert was involved in more goals in his final season for us than his first season in the PL.

2013/14 13 goals, 10 assists.

2012/13 15 goals, 4 assists.

Doesn't mean he was a better player. Don't get me wrong, he was still good in his final season, but I just felt he had lost half a yard. Perhaps more assists suggests (and I wouldn't dispute) he continued to improve his all round game, but his attacking prowess lessened, in my opinion.

- Forster than Boruc

- Cedric than Clyne

- Bertrand than Shaw

What is wrong with you...

Boruc

Clyne

Alderweireld

VVD

Bertrand

Schneiderlin

Wanyama

Lallana

Mané

Tadic

Pelle

Subs: Forster, Lovren, Shaw, Cedric, Romeu, Davis, Lambert.

Would put Bertrand ahead of 18yo Shaw.

Tadic would be a menace with the linkup/movement of Pelle/Mane/Lallana around.

Pelle for Lambert. Just feel that Pelle had that slight extra quality about him and wouldn't need to be as mobile as Lambert with Lallana/Mane in behind.

Early days but Lemina looks likely to at a minimum make a bench but maybe much more.

- Forster than Boruc

- Cedric than Clyne

- Bertrand than Shaw

Christ you're weird.

Oh and Romeu isn't anywhere near as good as Schneiderlin and Wanyama were.

I'm assuming all players are at their premier league peak with us in this?

With that in mind, Bertrand at his best was probably better than Shaw achieved with us. Forster at his best was probably better than Boruc at his best. Lambert was a lot more consistent than Pelle, I would say.