The Revisionists & Pelle

View From The Top

None of us can help but notice how so many are saying how Pelle is the exact type of player we are missing in terms of his hold up play and goals.

Do me a favour. So many on here did nothing but slag him off and say how sh_it he was week after week the whole time he was at Saints. Moaning about his finishing and pointless flicks.

I can remember being at countless away games when he was getting dogs abuse. The same people who no doubt were calling for Long to start ahead of him due to him running around a lot.

None of us can help but notice how so many are saying how Pelle is the exact type of player we are missing in terms of his hold up play and goals.

Do me a favour. So many on here did nothing but slag him off and say how sh_it he was week after week the whole time he was at Saints. Moaning about his finishing and pointless flicks.

I can remember being at countless away games when he was getting dogs abuse. The same people who no doubt were calling for Long to start ahead of him due to him running around a lot.

Lets face it the worst culprit on here for the Pelle hate was...

Batman-Logo-batman-9683803-1280-1024.jpg

Edited by doddisalegend

It's very possible that those people are wrong and that we still need a player like Pelle / Lambert.

What is a shame is that we don't have a player of that type in the squad as an option.

Most, if not all of the people I sit with with or talk about Saints with, really liked Pele and were sad to see him go. This was also the majority view of the forum I believe. So no idea where this idea of revisionism came from. I noticed the total cumstain Turkish mentioned it the other day so I can only presume you thought you'd pick it from him as an excuse to have another pop at our own fans.

There's a difference between thinking he had faults and now thinking he's far better than what we have.

I don't think he's better than Gabbiadini, just a different type of player and more experienced. He's a hell of a lot better than Austin though, and I don't even count Long as a striker anymore.

I don't think he's better than Gabbi, just that he could do a lot better than anyone is at the moment for us. Even Gabbi has only scored once in 7 months (4 if you knock out the off season).

I liked him but he could be bloody frustrating at times yet sublime at others. To be told that Austin is his replacement and weren't we clever for bringing him in prior to Pelle leaving was a fkn joke though.

More rewriting of history. At the he signed Austin was considered a coup. I remember Shearer on match of the day emploring Newcastle to sign him as he'd be a hero up there. In his early games for us fans we ridiculously overexcited about him and seemed to think he was going to score every time he got the ball.

Koeman didn't really pick him that much, Puel didn't in his early games then started to when it quickly became apparent he was the only one we had who could stick the ball in the back of the net. Then of course he missed half the season with injury. Now Pellegrino seems to want to try and play anyone else but him up front. Despite all this His goalcoring record based on goals per game for us is not bad 11 in 33 appearance in all competitions and overall in his career very good, so looking like he's just got in from a night on the p*ss when he plays realistically he's our best option at the moment if we want goals.

And yes u agree with about Pelle, was a good player for us and a lot better than a lot of our fans gave him credit for. I remember him being ironically cheered on his home debut and being regularly abused by fans home and away. Now he's what we need!

On another note Good to see Percy still obsessing about me, second time he's name checked me in a post in a matter of weeks, this time on a thread I hadn't even posted on until now :lol:

More rewriting of history. At the he signed Austin was considered a coup. :lol:

Not by me.I was surprised that we signed him.

* so looking like he's just got in from a night on the p*ss when he plays realistically he's our best option at the moment if we want goals.*

Sadly true but funny.

Like many, I miss Pelle. But, I'l be the first to admit that he was literally a fair weather player. In the autumn and spring months he looked the ideal striker, won everything in the air and scored goals for fun but on cold, wet winter days, he just looked miserable and flapped his arms around a lot. We really need both Pelle and Austin. Austin doesn't seem to be able to play a full season so just filling in for Pelle from November to February would be ideal for him.

I like both Pelle and Austin. They both know how to score, which is job #1 for a striker. Some slagged him for the same reasons some are now slagging Austin, he didn't have the pace of a Redmond. I say who cares. This whole pace thing is carried away now anyway. Instead of a squad capable of putting the ball in the net, which is the point, we get a team that runs very fast all around midfield, having 70% possession time, but never coming close to the goal. Maybe we should sign Usain Bolt, he'd be great.

Pelle could be crap or Pelle could be excellent. At the moment all our strikers - possibly/probably because of the way the whole team is set up to play so conservatively thereby creating f'all chances for them - can be crap or they can be crap. We'll never know for sure but my bet is that Pelle would probably be crap in this team, possibly less so than the current strikers because, due to his size, at least he would stand a chance of getting on the end of the crosses we pump hopefully into the box to conclude our ponderous attacks. Change the system, create more chances and our strikers will start looking a lot better.

Lol you have fell for the classic mistake a lot of people seem to make on here...

Let me help you...

Lots of DIFFERENT people post on here..so you may have sen lots slagging Pelle off or heard it..and now you see and hear lots of people saying we need someone like him...

It doesn't mean they are the SAME people.

It's the same generalisation that those who wanted Puel to go now want MP out...you may find a few examples but most of what you see isn't people contradicting each other it's that there's lots of people and lots of different opinions! Lol

Lol you have fell for the classic mistake a lot of people seem to make on here...

Let me help you...

Lots of DIFFERENT people post on here..so you may have sen lots slagging Pelle off or heard it..and now you see and hear lots of people saying we need someone like him...

It doesn't mean they are the SAME people.

It's the same generalisation that those who wanted Puel to go now want MP out...you may find a few examples but most of what you see isn't people contradicting each other it's that there's lots of people and lots of different opinions! Lol

How about you fu_ck right off.

Simply put, so you can understand it, a number of posters who quite happily slagged Pelle off are now lamenting not having Pelle. You understand now? The. Same. People.

Knob.

Simply put, so you can understand it, a number of posters who quite happily slagged Pelle off are now lamenting not having Pelle. You understand now? The. Same. People.

Knob.

There's no need to be so aggressive.

I don't pay enough attention to know who these people are but hey, if they've come around to Pelle then great. I think most fans appreciated him at the time.

I like both Pelle and Austin. They both know how to score, which is job #1 for a striker. Some slagged him for the same reasons some are now slagging Austin, he didn't have the pace of a Redmond. I say who cares. This whole pace thing is carried away now anyway. Instead of a squad capable of putting the ball in the net, which is the point, we get a team that runs very fast all around midfield, having 70% possession time, but never coming close to the goal. Maybe we should sign Usain Bolt, he'd be great.

Don’t compare Pelle and Austin. Different players. I liked Pelle but think Austin is pretty mediocre. While he could be static at times, Pelle always offered more outside the box than Austin in terms of touch, intelligence and holdup play.

From memory, one issue people had with Pelle is that he tended to stay central - if a player like Lambert could peel off opposing CBs and find space around the pitch, people wondered why Pelle couldn’t.

Edited by shurlock

Knob.

You've keep a record of everyone's opinions do you, you sad ****. St Fred is right, they are different people, unless of course you can post up a few examples.

Knob.

It must be loads of people if it was worth started a thread for?

Name and shame these hundreds of people!

(Or in reality is it just a few and you have over reacted to those "few" opinions?)

It must be loads of people if it was worth started a thread for?

Name and shame these hundreds of people!

(Or in reality is it just a few and you have over reacted to those "few" opinions?)

I can’t give you numbers, I’m certainly not even sure if it was loads, but in his last season with us more than one poster complained about Pelle’s lack of pace slowing down attacks.

Knob.

and there’s an infraction - keep it decent or post somewhere else.

I can’t give you numbers, I’m certainly not even sure if it was loads, but in his last season with us more than one poster complained about Pelle’s lack of pace slowing down attacks.

And those people are now lamenting us not having him now are they?

Nobody denies people were moaning about him, it's whether the SAME people are now saying we need him that appears to be in dispute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Pelle:

3 shots per game.

31% shots on target.

0.34 goals per game.

0.12 assists per game.

30.76 passes per match.

Lambert (@Saints):

2.63 shots per game.

42% shots on target.

0.37 goals per game (6 pens + 4 FK)

0.24 goals per game (no pens or FK)

0.20 assists per game.

31.24 passes per match.

Pelle and Lambert pretty similar overall. Pelle a few more open play goals and Lambert a few more assists.

Gabbiadini:

2.11 shots per game

34% shots on target.

0.28 goals per game

0 assists

10.22 passes per match

Long(Under Koeman):

1.67 shots per game.

37% shots on target.

0.25 goals per game.

0.15 assists per game.

17.22 passes per game.

Gabbi and Long shoot way less. Pass way less. They're not suited to being an isolated lone striker. Puel tried to play Redmond as a 2nd striker which failed because Redmond is no good (if he had Mane/Pelle instead we would've seen way more success) but this year Redmond is sitting a lot further back while Tadic and Davis have always stayed back. We need a change of style or we need to go back to the Lambert/Pelle type of striker.

The mistake you might be making,and I've seen it before on here, is mistaking the idea of what some people post about for some sort of collective entity who believes one thing and is constantly contradicting itself when it says something else. There are actually lots of people on here who think different things. So sometimes the comments you are reading are actually from somebody else, rather than the ubiquitous "what this forum thinks" kind of idea.

There were probably some people who liked Pelle and some who thought he was overrated. That would explain the apparent contradiction and revisionism. It would also match up with your description of "many people" and "many on here", because it could be the case that equally many thought something else too and the case that many think something else now. Remembering that will probably help you understand a lot of things about why this forum can never keep its opinion constant.

Have I made missed the names of the SAME people who used to run Pelle down, but are now lamenting him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’ll be the same cnts that run the club down, run Les down, run Puel down, run Ralph down, have run all the players down at some point, now running Pellegrino down ie a typical fan on here. And praise the ambition and foresight of Everton, Palace, Stoke and WBA.

I liked Pelle but money seemed good at time but miss him now. This football business is easy with hindsight

Oh god. What is it with this forum and attracting so many people who write such tripe?

You think the posters calling for Pelle's return are the same people who were slagging him off?

Bring back the old SaintsForever days. Can't remember so many kids/the deluded posting on there.

It's also saying that people can't change their opinion? Why does it matter if someone slagged off Pelle, but then after he'd gone realised what he was capable of? Some posters seems to have trouble accepting that people can change their mind.

Wouldn't changing your mind after the event not be the definition of a revisionist then?

Wouldn't changing your mind after the event not be the definition of a revisionist then?

Nah, a revisionist, at least in the way it’s commonly used, is someone who airbrushes history and pretends they always maintained the after-the-event position.