Saints vs. Newcastle Thread

Dark Munster

He was responsible for one of the few bright moments in the game against Watford. He actually took someone on and got a ball into the box. While the final pass could have been better, it was more due to the lack of support/movement that it didn't result in a goal.

Is that the best we can come up with as a reason for including Boufal? He took someone on but his final pass wasn't very good and no goal was scored from it.

It wouldn't surprise me if we changed formation and went with 2 up top very shortly.

I know it's what the players want (to try at least) and the manager has said he has an 'open mind'.

Interestingly I found out the other day that our wingers have been told to play high, pretty much as forwards, so we are basically playing 3 up front. The trouble is, those 3 currently starting haven't been up to the mark at the moment.

If we persist with a front 3, I still want us to try Boufal, Austin / Long, Gabbi (give very little defensive duty) with a flat 3 behind behind them of OR ML SD.

Remember that well, the tannoy announcer asking the Archers to please sit down, from that game on the Archers only ever stood. Great game, one of many great games i can remember against the Geordies at the dell (le tiss and ruddock ones too).

As you say, that was the game that got the Archers standing. It was the first season after Saints fans campaigning to get that end back for home fans but only being a dozen or so rows deep it was fairly easy for the stewards to enforce the 'no standing' rule, you see Saints fans sitting in the front rows at the start of that clip. But towards the end everyone stood and the noise went through the roof. I've still got "Alan Ball's Red & White Army" ringing in my ears over 20 years later...jeesh, 20 years!!

As you say, that was the game that got the Archers standing. It was the first season after Saints fans campaigning to get that end back for home fans but only being a dozen or so rows deep it was fairly easy for the stewards to enforce the 'no standing' rule, you see Saints fans sitting in the front rows at the start of that clip. But towards the end everyone stood and the noise went through the roof. I've still got "Alan Ball's Red & White Army" ringing in my ears over 20 years later...jeesh, 20 years!!

Mental to think how small the bikeshed actually was when you consider that on it's day it was louder than most of St Mary's is now! Although that said i can't pretend i miss the toilets at the back.

Is that the best we can come up with as a reason for including Boufal? He took someone on but his final pass wasn't very good and no goal was scored from it.

From that Watford game, yes! This is the match that a shot from 25 yards hit straight at the keeper in the 92nd minute caused riotous celebrations around the ground, remember.

Mental to think how small the bikeshed actually was when you consider that on it's day it was louder than most of St Mary's is now! Although that said i can't pretend i miss the toilets at the back.

The Archers Road end was brilliant for the last few years at The Dell, great atmosphere, whole end stood, low roof, really got behind the team especially when we were struggling in relegation battles. St Marys has never been quite the same but especially now we could do with an "end" like that.

Hey Redmond set up Gabbiadini against West Ham. He’s brilliant he is, top of his game. Undroppable.

The 2 differences being

1) Nobody is actually suggesting Redmond is our most creative player

2) That is one more goal than Boufal has managed to set up since he arrived here.

Lighthouse would you rather we persist with Redmond, Davis and Tadic? That's not working, may as well try mixing it up and Boufal is the biggest unknown quantity we have. As much as I like JWP, McQueen, PEH, we know what they're like and none of them are likely to get us firing again. Why not use this opportunity to see what he can do with a short run of games before we hit our heavy patch of games in November?

I think we all pretty much universally agree that Redmond should be dropped. I'm not saying that Boufal is going to be the answer to all our prayers, that he's our most creative player or even that he'll do anything useful - but surely it's worth a shot over persisting with the formula that hasn't been working all season?

Boufal should get a three or four starts in a row for me - if he doesn't set the world on fire in the first game he shouldn't be immediately hooked and not seen again for another month. He clearly has some talent but he wont adapt if he isn't given at least a small run in the side, which he basically hasn't had since arriving.

If he plays and doesn't perform against Newcastle no doubt people will be kicking off on here (and in the ground) but I would say that if he plays instead of Redmond then what exactly would people be complaining about? Redmond has pretty much delivered nothing all season and played every game.

Totally appreciate we can't really afford to carry a player while they (hopefully) get themselves going, but when we've basically been carrying Redmond anyway, waiting for him to even reach the relatively good levels he occasionally hit last season (which he hasn't). So I don't really see why we wouldn't give Boufal a run.

You mean the cross that deflected off the defender back to Long who then set up Yoshida's volley. Hardly the greatest goal set up was it.

And winning the corner that came of that goal. And creating a goal scoring opportunity prior to that. But yeah, apart from that!

This - he made the goal against Stoke

Did he? Really. Evidence suggests otherwise, his cross was deflected, it probably would not have lead to a goal if it had gone where he intended. But hey, lets pretend that Boufal is the greatest goal creator since sliced bread, based on one game where he was more influential than most of his other games. Hope he proves me wrong, but on evidence so far he looks like developing into one of our most disappointing signings.

I think people are getting a bit carried away, as saint-crinny says above, things aren’t working as they are so why can’t we give Boufal a chance, in the same way we’ve given Redmond god knows how many chances to find some form? He has so far suggested he will be a disappointing signing but also shown the occasional glimpse of offering something that we’re missing.

It wouldn't surprise me if we changed formation and went with 2 up top very shortly.

I know it's what the players want (to try at least) and the manager has said he has an 'open mind'.

Interestingly I found out the other day that our wingers have been told to play high, pretty much as forwards, so we are basically playing 3 up front. The trouble is, those 3 currently starting haven't been up to the mark at the moment.

If we persist with a front 3, I still want us to try Boufal, Austin / Long, Gabbi (give very little defensive duty) with a flat 3 behind behind them of OR ML SD.

Do you know that the players want a change in tactics?

Im not having a pop, just interested to know.

And winning the corner that came of that goal. And creating a goal scoring opportunity prior to that. But yeah, apart from that!

Tadic won that corner. Boufal played a fairly standard square ball to him but it was hardly defence splitting. It was Boufal who took the corner, which didn't beat the first man and he was fairly lucky to get it back. He then tried to cut a ball back to Long, which looped up off a defender, Long mis-controlled it and it fell kindly to Yoshi.

Anyway, I was only responding to this statement...

Boufal is the only player that can create something

Which I find rather odd to make about a player yet to register an assist for us. Tadic and Redmond at least have some sort of mediocre track record, even if they have been tripe recently.

Boufal made the goal you dopey ****s. When he received the ball he took on the defender, got to the by line and got the ball across goal.

Ask yourself what Redmond would have done. Would he have taken it to the byline and got the ball across? Would he ********. He would have cut back and played it back down the line or ****ed around with it.

Boufal's direct running against Stoke created chances and created the goal. Only a retard would think otherwise.

Boufal changed the game when he came on, that cannot be denied.

What is to be questioned is whether he can play that well in every game. Because other times, he has been a liability. I hope he can show us all why we paid so much for him.

He has disappointed so far but still has flashes of brilliance. Redmond just disappoints completely so far this season.

It’s not as if it ain’t broke

Matter of opinion. Personally don’t think that is, plus we lose Davis out the team and have to put Austin in.
I agree with this. I don't think Austin will create more chances than Davis. And I think you'll find Davis has got more assists than Boufal this season. And goals.

Not that I'm saying Boufal shouldn't start - he should, instead of Redmond.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Boufal has shown 4 flashes of brilliance to me in the last year. Cracking goals Vs Boro and Sunderland, an incredible skillful run Vs Arsenal in the League Cup and a great run Vs Barnet (?) In a pre season friendly. 4 flashes of quality. No it's not a lot. But he's only played 1200 minutes of football in the EPL. Too early to right him off. No one is suggesting he's DEFINITELY the answer to our creative/scoring woes, but continuing with Redmond and Tadic is even less likely to fix it. They're picked no matter what **** they serve us up. So why can't we try Boufal for a few games? What's the worst that could happen? We can't score less goals. And from what I've seen of him he puts more effort in tracking back than Tadic.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

It's abundantly clear that Boufal should start in place of Redmond, but as others have mentioned I'd be interested to see him played centrally meaning we'd need another option of the left (McQueen?).

Reluctant to try 5 at the back mainly because of that total s**t show of a game against Wolves, but if it gives us an option to try 2 up front then it may be worth a go?

Alright lads, Geordie in peace here.

Just reading through the thread you don't seem all that confident for the game on Sunday?

I think most of us are hoping to take advantage of your struggles up front, but aren't all that confident of coming away with 3pts. I'd be happy with a low scoring draw to be honest.

We never do well down your way, 1 win in 6 recent league meetings and that was 2004 when we had Shearer, Bellamy, Kluivert up front (none of them scored). The time before that was 1972. :(

I can tell you how we'll set up; 4-2-3-1

Elliott

Yedlin Lascelles Clark Manquillo

Merino Shelvey

Ritchie Perez Atsu

Joselu

Let you have loads of possession in areas that aren't too dangerous, but press and harass you from Joselu back. Look to hit you on the counter and take advantages at set pieces.

What's gone "wrong" at Southampton so far? Players not gelling? The wrong system? Players not good enough? Keyplayers injured?

Just reading through the thread you don't seem all that confident for the game on Sunday?

I think most of us are hoping to take advantage of your struggles up front, but aren't all that confident of coming away with 3pts. I'd be happy with a low scoring draw to be honest.

We never do well down your way, 1 win in 6 recent league meetings and that was 2004 when we had Shearer, Bellamy, Kluivert up front (none of them scored). The time before that was 1972. :(

Elliott

Merino Shelvey

Ritchie Perez Atsu

Joselu

Let you have loads of possession in areas that aren't too dangerous, but press and harass you from Joselu back. Look to hit you on the counter and take advantages at set pieces.

What's gone "wrong" at Southampton so far? Players not gelling? The wrong system? Players not good enough? Keyplayers injured?

The recruitment team not signing the right players in attack. We basically replaced a top player in Mane with a Championship standard player in Nathan Redmond for example.

The recruitment team not signing the right players in attack. We basically replaced a top player in Mane with a Championship standard player in Nathan Redmond for example.

Will the new lads come good, or do you need to spend in January like us?

Would it not suggest he's really bad at shooting???

Been evident for quite a long time. Someone trying to do something loads and failing every time doesn't fill me with confidence that they'll come good soon. Fed up of us sticking with the same things and having the same poor displays.

And that his decision-making is poor (e.g. perhaps he's not aware enough of what's going on around him or panics). I think the important question that has to be asked of him both now and for the rest of the season is has he, and will he, improve on his previous performances for other teams and will he do so substantially. If he doesn't do the latter then my view is that he was a bad purchase and he won't get better and he won't improve the team/squad sufficiently to have us challenging the top 4/6 which is where we (as stated by the club; personally as a fan I want us to win everything for a bit) want/expect to be.

Spend. Wonder if we can get Benitez?

So much going on at St James' at the minute, haven't a clue what's going to happen. The possible takeover, the tax fraud case, Ashley's ongoing parsimony.

If things go wrong Benitez may well give up his sisyphean labour. If he leaves us there's a limited number of clubs he's join. He wanted to come to Newcastle because; we're an English club and he wants to stay close to his family in Liverpool, we've got potential to grow, we were hugely underperforming, and the fanbase was immediately and entirely behind him. He wouldn't, for example, fancy a move to Watford, or Burnley etc.

He's a top manager, but a lot of the top jobs are closed to him now. Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton are no gos. Man City, Spurs and Arsenal are unlikely to pursue him at the minute and I can't foresee a situation in the future where that would change.

After those clubs it's the best of the rest that would turn his head. So could he be persuaded to join Southampton, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ maybe.

(this isn't a "We're a massive club" nonsense thing, just that we were in the right place at the right time for him.)

Elliott

Merino Shelvey

Ritchie Perez Atsu

Joselu

Personally I think our guy will get 'out tactic'd' by your guy and you will run away with the points. 1 - 2.

Our problem is Saturday 3pm kick offs - the only team we've scored against at home in 2017 on a Saturday is West Ham!

Thankfully, we don't play at all at that time this month - so for that reason, I'm going for three straight victories starting on Sunday. And then we'll lose our next Saturday 3pm match at home to Burnley.

I'm clinging to the hope that Pellegrino is still relatively new to the job and finding his feet in the PL and soon(er rather than later) it will just click.

And, clutching at straws, we usually do well against the Geordies down here. Difference this time may be the Benitez effect.

With what's coming up shortly with the fixture list, 3 points is almost a necessity from each of the next 3 home games - just don't lose this Saints.

No Long maybe so that may force his hand playing two up front against the barcodes who we always beat

Long is injured so unless you want to play McQueen out wide it will be Redmond

Was going to say this but as long is out, maybe put Davis in and boufal on right

Shane Long was in training on Thursday 12th October...

DL8XHoTW0AAKUsB.jpg

Let's be sensible, they're not that much better now!

The old scouser fans new a bit about these things and always took a rolled up newspaper and wore wellies to home matches in the Kop! I didn't make that up.

You only need a couple of good shots on target to stand a chance to be honest.

As someone else said, we've simply not replaced the right players with the quality needed. I also believe a new GK was required. Forster is one of yours initially, fancy taking him back ?

Will the new lads come good, or do you need to spend in January like us?

Yes, but whether our new owners are able to release the purse strings is an unknown. Most of us on here doubt it.

But you could try to take Forster - Hexham lad - back home, how does £20m sound ?

Personally I think our guy will get 'out tactic'd' by your guy and you will run away with the points. 1 - 2.

Sounds about right.

We'll go for two upfront in the 87th minute to pull one back, probably scored by VD or Yoshida.

The last time we played straight after an international break was the Watford horror show, let's hope that the extra 24 hours mean that MP prepares the team more professionally this time. On the great Boufal debate, I agree with those saying give him a run of four or five games on the spin. Given our excellent defenders and holding midfielders I don't see us shipping many goals and therefore with the scoring drought we need to rebalance the side. I am a big Davis fan, but right now I would rest him. My team: 4-2-3-1 would be FF, Cedric, VVD, Maya, Bertie, OR, Lamina, Boufal, Long, Tadic and Gabbi. I think that, when is possession, that lineup would feel more like a 4-2-4 but when out of possession we would still expect ten to be back working

The "give Boufal a run" mantra is just a variation on the "give Ramirez a run" garbage.

It didnt work then, it wont work now. He doesnt have the physical presence required for the English game, and doesnt have the vision / maturity to match his skills. Running 30 yards with the ball then losing it brings nothing to the team.

Time to accept we've had another horror transfer and move on.