Saints vs. Newcastle Thread

Dark Munster

I don’t have any time for VVD but he was a mountain at the back today, felt like he cleared every ball they put into the box.

As for calling Austin a waste of space... he was on the pitch for how many minutes? Gabbiadini was pretty poor in the first half, showed no more mobility than Austin would have done (mainly because we refuse to play to his strengths), yet second half still shows why he should be on this pitch by scoring a goal (well, two).

Our problems stem from the way the team set up and are compounded by the way one or two individuals play. We’re not terrible, we’re just predictable. Haven’t been home long, but think I’ll wait for the dust to settle before adding a full debrief on the game though.

My God that was poor. By the end I was willing Friend to blow the whistle because the only team that were going to score again was Newcastle.

VVD is as rusty as hell, quality he may be, but get Hoedt in please. Leave VVD to subs appearances and get rid on Jan.

Bertrand needs to give a toss and the manager needs to sort this out.

Slow slow slow no passing, no movement, and no shooting.

Davis and Boufel did try to inject some urgency but how many chances is Tadic going to get.

Also well the hell do the crowd shout for Austin. He really is out of sorts. Wrong player wrong league.

Hurrumph

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That'll be the same Charlie Austin that was our top scorer last season. Idiot

I don’t have any time for VVD but he was a mountain at the back today, felt like he cleared every ball they put into the box.

As for calling Austin a waste of space... he was on the pitch for how many minutes? Gabbiadini was pretty poor in the first half, showed no more mobility than Austin would have done (mainly because we refuse to play to his strengths), yet second half still shows why he should be on this pitch by scoring a goal (well, two).

Our problems stem from the way the team set up and are compounded by the way one or two individuals play. We’re not terrible, we’re just predictable. Haven’t been home long, but think I’ll wait for the dust to settle before adding a full debrief on the game though.

That was my impression of VVD today, too. He looked a little slow on the first Newcastle goal, though.

Just back from the game.

Another frustrating display.

Positives...? Just a few:

Gabbi... a superb individual goal and a well taken penalty. Hopefully this is the start of a goal spree for him.

Lemina... Another MotM performance from him. A class act.

Boufal... made a difference when he came on. Have been crying out for him to get a run in the team for weeks and, after today, if he doesn't replace Redmond in the starting 11 next week I'll be baffled.

A draw was just about a fair result as Newcastle weren't much cop either.

And I'm hoping VvD's apparent lethargy is more down to lack of matches rather than an underlying attitude issue. He could have done better/more for both goals IMO.

P.s. the less said about the ref the better...

Don’t get this VVD going through the motions stuff. I thought he had a very solid game.

I hope Boufal starts next week instead of Redmond who if I never see again will be too soon.

Lemina is too good for us.

Bertrand is going through the motions if anyone is, never mind VVD

The only difference from last season is the accent of the manager.

Slow, lethargic, sideways, backwards, no identity, no plan, no movement.

Both made a difference - prior we had no midfield connection with our strikers and too many floated crosses. Boufal in particular able to make three incisive passes inside the box - one resulting in a penalty and the other bringing a great cross from Bertrand. Gabbiadini is such a class act and surely has cemented his place. I thought Long was limited with his poor touch and control - we need better than him. No doubt there will be plenty who will defend Forster but he is as close to a Footballing liability as you'll see; a very mediocre goalkeeper. How did Yedlin not get a second yellow? In the end it was a relief to get a point but the lack of attacking/creative talent in this side outside of Gabbiadini and Boufal/Tadic is very worrying.

As a couple of others have already said, good post.

The lack of forward running to link midfield to attack was still apparent- couple of times it seemed a sea of nothing in 25m or so between Gabby/Long and anyone else in the middle.

Couple of other points - thought VVD looked more rusty than lacking commitment and Austin adds nothing to the team the way we play/are trying to play.

MP reaction

was dramatic, lots of chaos

was difficult after we first equalized

our mentality was right, we were on top

we just cant concede as soon as we score

our reaction was positive in the last 20 mins

was just too chaotic

we were never in control of the game

other games, we have been in control but not score

it was my responsibility as to why we were not more direct in the 1st half

we showed good character when we were 2-1 down

you have to probe the game, always

it was positive that we scored 2 goals

but we need to improve the defence and we will work on that

it was important for monolo to score, he helps the club when he plays and scores

Long was good, always fighting and running

at times, playing 2 strikers looked good

MP out Strachan in. Made to happen - the second coming

Glad for Gabbi :)

That was not a penalty. The ball was going out - there was NO goal scoring opportunity.

Ironic because Shane has been taken out in the box on many occasions this season, and even given a yellow for diving when he was chopped down.

Doesn't matter if there is a goal scoring opportunity - if the ball is in play and the player is taken down in the box it's a penalty.

Disgusting display first half, slightly better 2nd half. Half of this team along with the manager are simply not good enough, and the likes of VVD and Bertrand cannot be arsed.

Newcastle looked more dangerous than us which indicates to me that our level is below them seeing that they we're the away side which is worrying.

Reed needs to take a long hard look at himself as imo this is all down to him, wrong manager again, wrong decisions regarding players coming and going and general lethargy within the club. He should have let VVD go and capitalized on using those funds to strengthen the club, unfortunately we now have a player who is obviously half hearted and who"s only interest is getting out and Bertrand seems to be carrying the same attitude.

Longs confidence is shot and as for Forster, there are not enough words to describe how painfully poor he is now, what the feck is Watson employed for if this is what he is producing, a keeper who looks ****e scared when the ball enters his box and has the agility of a sloth on skunk.

The problem with this club starts at the core and has spread like a virus and needs to be sorted now or we will be facing yet another fast decline.

Bertrand barely gets forward these days. Under Koeman he was constantly over lapping and looking to get to the bi-line.

This is one of the big problems we have. He is notably less attacking then in past seasons.

I wonder if this is down to the manager, or whether he simply can't be bothered?

This is one of the big problems we have. He is notably less attacking then in past seasons.

I wonder if this is down to the manager, or whether he simply can't be bothered?

This is why I think 3-5-2 would help us. It would encourage our two full backs to get further forward and provide the width.

Doesn't look a happy camp, players in MP's ear, especially Bertrand and Cedric, Redmond threw a strop when he came off, no high fives or anything like usual, MP seems a bit isolated from his coaches and looks a dead man walking. From my close up seat I would say a lot of division and bad feeling.

My God that was poor. By the end I was willing Friend to blow the whistle because the only team that were going to score again was Newcastle.

VVD is as rusty as hell, quality he may be, but get Hoedt in please. Leave VVD to subs appearances and get rid on Jan.

Bertrand needs to give a toss and the manager needs to sort this out.

Slow slow slow no passing, no movement, and no shooting.

Davis and Boufel did try to inject some urgency but how many chances is Tadic going to get.

Also well the hell do the crowd shout for Austin. He really is out of sorts. Wrong player wrong league.

Hurrumph

Yup agree with all you said there,strange how we seem so turgid and boring to watch all season long so far.Wow if it wasnt for the tremendous support the Toon army gave thier team youd ave thought we were playing behind closed doors today.The lack of direction or the total lack of urgency the damn team displays is so demoralising for us as fans we start to get excited when we move forward on a counter attack!............Yoshida and VVD dunno are they instructed to play with no forward movement?

Plus theres no pressing the ball or ANY movement to create an opening.Im not too sure if it was a penalty but glad to get one and like you was wishing the final whistle sooner rather than later.

Anyone notice second half when we were attacking and the manager was telling VVD and Bertrand to push forward and they just ignored him and then Bertrand flapped his hands in a 'what do you want us to do gesture? Was odd and a little worrying...

Don’t get this VVD going through the motions stuff. I thought he had a very solid game.

I hope Boufal starts next week instead of Redmond who if I never see again will be too soon.

Lemina is too good for us.

Bertrand is going through the motions if anyone is, never mind VVD

The only difference from last season is the accent of the manager.

Slow, lethargic, sideways, backwards, no identity, no plan, no movement.

Virgil was solid? He was pathetic. The attempted "clearance" for the first goal just screamed of a half arsed effort and he completely lost his man for the second. No matter how he played, he cost us two goals. Forster was also awful - especially for the second but Virgil was garbage.

Doesn't look a happy camp, players in MP's ear, especially Bertrand and Cedric, Redmond threw a strop when he came off, no high fives or anything like usual, MP seems a bit isolated from his coaches and looks a dead man walking. From my close up seat I would say a lot of division and bad feeling.

I was being a Dad taxi this afternoon so I had to listen to it on Radio Solent today, and out of the whole commentary this is what stuck in my mind the most. The happy clappy Facebook and Twitter bull**** is just that, things just look very tense between players and staff.

I was unsure if Hoedt would step up but he has so I'd cut VVD loose, I'd put a good bet on him stirring things up and making a **** situation much worse. But underneath all this I don't believe that the manager and players are the real problem, something smells at the coaching / board room level?

& Being arguably at fault for both goals!

This. He was absolute awful from where I was sat - wasn't even arguable that his mistakes led to both goals (although both would have been prevented by even a reasonable goalkeeper). That attempted clearance for the first goal was utterly pathetic from a player who, as with most of our first team, thinks he is considerably better than he is.

& Being arguably at fault for both goals!
I think it was somewhere in between. He was at fault for both goals, but he did almost score from a corner, and defended well when balls came into the box. So not gash, but not great either.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Virgil has been put back in too soon clearly. looked so much better with Boufal and Davis on, but the game was far more open at that point.

We need to move Austin on in January and pay lots to buy a Pelle/Lambert replacement someone who can hold the ball up which in turn will allow the full backs to push up as well, I think thats why they are currently reluctant to bomb forward.

And I like the new policy of not sending players off when a second yellow is clearly warranted, give them a lecture and a final strike, much fairer to the viewing public.

Fraser Forster simply HAS to be dropped now. Shocking performance

I know he's had some shockers recently, including today, but I wouldn't write Forster off yet. I still remember what a good goalkeeper he was before Dave Watson got to work on him. Watson has been coaching all of the goalkeeepers at the club and from what I've seen of them it doesn't look as though any of them are any better. It would probably be cheaper and more effective to replace Watson rather than Forster. Otherwise any new goalkeeper we buy is likely to deteriorate in just the same way Forster has under Watson's guidance.

I think it was somewhere in between. He was at fault for both goals, but he did almost score from a corner, and defended well when balls came into the box. So not gash, but not great either.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

If Yoshida had been at fault in the same way as Virgil then he would get absolutely slaughtered. It was, for me, Virgil's worst performance in a Saints shirt by some distance. Rusty he may be but, when you've acted like he has, it won't help his cause with the fans. His attitude and demeanour on the pitch just scream of a half arsed effort. Quite what Hoedt has done to be benched or Stephens has done to be dropped from the squad I really don't know as, at the moment, selecting Virgil is doing nothing for us. He's been at fault for 2 goals today and gave away a penalty last week. As I say, if Yoshida had done the equivalent he would have been absolutely destroyed on here.

If Yoshida had been at fault in the same way as Virgil then he would get absolutely slaughtered. It was, for me, Virgil's worst performance in a Saints shirt by some distance. Rusty he may be but, when you've acted like he has, it won't help his cause with the fans. His attitude and demeanour on the pitch just scream of a half arsed effort. Quite what Hoedt has done to be benched or Stephens has done to be dropped from the squad I really don't know as, at the moment, selecting Virgil is doing nothing for us. He's been at fault for 2 goals today and gave away a penalty last week. As I say, if Yoshida had done the equivalent he would have been absolutely destroyed on here.
Agreed. Drop him to make the point that this isn't good enough.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We seem to have several players playing like rabbits in the headlights. Any decent player would have got his header down and on target from 6 yards; Brain Freeze Bertie checks and passes back to the centre backs way too often, losing any momentum; and poor old Frazer has ( temporarily ?) lost his bearings on any ball in the air.

]Virgil was solid? He was pathetic.[/b] The attempted "clearance" for the first goal just screamed of a half arsed effort and he completely lost his man for the second. No matter how he played' date=' he cost us two goals. Forster was also awful - especially for the second but Virgil was garbage.[/quote']

Spot on for me. Exactly how I viewed his contribution to both goals.

Not 100% sure if rusty or couldn't give a fling phuck and going through the motions to get match fit for a move .... either case I'd rather have Hoedt back in place of him.

I really hoped VVD would have come back with a positive attitude, but no positive statements, except "I'm a professional and will give 100%" .... sorry but that is the absolute minimal we should expect from any player,

not somebody looking to re integrate into the team, phuck him and let him rot. No U23 games even ... let players willing to learn play there.

We are just sooooo static. Until Boufal came on, no one beat their man ( maybe except Lemina).

Watch other teams, they ge the ball in space move forward until get closed down then either try to beat the man or they pass. When our players get the ball they are static, they control the ball whilst still static and then pass to an available team mate..who is just static. Occasionally VVD tries a Hollywood pass across field to break the monotony.

Off the ball we jog slowly around the pitch..

I know we haven't the players to be a city or Barcelona but FFS we can put a bit of effort in...

The manager has to answer for this..he is rapidly looking out of his depth and its like watching Puel II, a badly made sequel to a poor first movie. At least Puel seemed to have a plan..not sure what MP is trying to achieve yet but he hasn't got the team working hard that's for sure.

Anyone got any Opta stats? I bet comparing this sides distance covered against RK's or the original MP's teams will show a few miles covered less by most of our team in a game...

This 100% .... as I've said above ... and forgot to mention (and can't edit) .... what sort of message does this send out to Jack Stephens who has put in the proverbial 110% effort each game and then see this half arsed effort ahead of him.

VVD has shown his true colours - an arrogant, disrespectful pr1ck. With his current attitude he offers us less than Stephens or Hoedt, so drop him, sell him to the scallys in Jan for 60m and let them take the rest of the season to get him match fit. Meanwhile we can buy a decent striker and a creative midfielder in addition to, hopefully, a new manager who has half a clue about managing in the toughest league in the world. Our hubris means we drop a little further down the table every season, convinced of a policy that was constructed five years ago whilst all about us recognise the game has changed with the enormous increases in income.

People slating VVD either didn’t go to the same game as me, didn’t see the same game as me, or simply didn’t watch the game at all. He showed what we’ve been missing by being on the end of virtually every ball in both boxes.

The first goal was scrappy all round, which included van Dijk’s sloppy clearance, but hardly the only mistake leading up to it. I seem to recall the second goal being something of a parting of the Red Sea, with defenders being dragged all over the place.

Let’s be honest, if Forster had not been so thoroughly sh1t for both goals, we wouldn’t be looking to apportion blame elsewhere anyway.

Yoshida was also excellent today, even putting a ball in from the left wing that we have been crying out for all season!

Not sure where we go from here? We are where we are, constant downgrading and a blind belief in the #Southamptonway has bought us to a pretty pass. We have totally ****ed up the wall one of the easiest set of PL fixtures you could hope to have. Newcastle are hard working and organised and unfortunately that's all you need to be to get a result against us. Watching the first half was like watching two teams who were both playing away. Even in the last 15 minutes once momentum had shifted to us you never got the feeling Newc were hanging on, they still fancied their chances and were able to pin us back for the last few minutes.

Clearly our problems are many-faceted and deep seated but, briefly, we are lacking in belief, direction, confidence, fitness, pace and power. Pace and power is the modern game, particularly in the PL and we don't have either. The sort of Mexico '70 / walking football we are serving up just doesn't cut it in the modern PL, it might get you top 6 in the French Ligue but not in the PL. Newcastle won't have an easier game all season; bar a ridiculous challenge from their CH they would have flown back north with 3 easy points today.

Tactics way off today, we don't need 2 holding midfielders at home to a Newc team who would have taken 0-0/1-1 before kick off. We essentially played 6 defensive players against a team that were happy to sit 8 players in front of their 18yd line. Even with 6 defensive players we looked all at sea every time they broke, no authority, no leadership, no game plan of what we would do when they had the ball.

Buck stops with the manager and he will carry the can but the rot goes a lot deeper. GK/GK coach/reserve keepers, what the actual F is going on that an established top half PL team can't field a half-decent GK? It wouldn't bother me if FF never played for Saints again, stealing a living that bloke, sell if we can (unlikely on the money he's on), if we can't sell then replace in Jan with a half competent Championship/kick-a-ball keeper.

VVD - WTaF? Shambolic today and he needn't ever play for us again, Yoshi/Hoedt/Stephens can all DAJFU, bin him to the darkest corners, cash-in in Jan and buy some FDs! Pathetic that we have allowed ourselves to be dictated to by some billy big ones, when their head's gone it's gone, would take someone far more clued in than MoPe to turn that one around; should have got rid in the summer (and learnt the Fonte lesson); he was allowed to fester around and undermine the dressing room and we now have history repeating itself.

Far too negative in our approach today, first 20 minutes set the tempo and gave Newc hope, a game that should have produced 3 fairly straightfd points has left us glad to grab one consolation point. Next up: West Brom H, Brighton A, Burnley H (the fixture list that keeps on giving), 6 points from that and we might have turned a corner but there's no easy games in the PL!

That'll be the same Charlie Austin that was our top scorer last season. Idiot

I'm guessing you aren't the type for reasoned debate but I'll bite.

Austin only played part of the season scored 6 EPL goals. Redmond scored 7. Hardly something to get excited about.

He is lethal in the box and if we played that way he'd be your man. However Saints don't and as a result he looks slow and hopelessly out of form. How on earth he is supposed to regain form with these 10 minute cameo is beyond me.

The fault does not lie with him. He needs a manager that plays to his strengths.

Not sure where we go from here? We are where we are, constant downgrading and a blind belief in the #Southamptonway has bought us to a pretty pass. We have totally ****ed up the wall one of the easiest set of PL fixtures you could hope to have. Newcastle are hard working and organised and unfortunately that's all you need to be to get a result against us. Watching the first half was like watching two teams who were both playing away. Even in the last 15 minutes once momentum had shifted to us you never got the feeling Newc were hanging on, they still fancied their chances and were able to pin us back for the last few minutes.

Clearly our problems are many-faceted and deep seated but, briefly, we are lacking in belief, direction, confidence, fitness, pace and power. Pace and power is the modern game, particularly in the PL and we don't have either. The sort of Mexico '70 / walking football we are serving up just doesn't cut it in the modern PL, it might get you top 6 in the French Ligue but not in the PL. Newcastle won't have an easier game all season; bar a ridiculous challenge from their CH they would have flown back north with 3 easy points today.

Tactics way off today, we don't need 2 holding midfielders at home to a Newc team who would have taken 0-0/1-1 before kick off. We essentially played 6 defensive players against a team that were happy to sit 8 players in front of their 18yd line. Even with 6 defensive players we looked all at sea every time they broke, no authority, no leadership, no game plan of what we would do when they had the ball.

Buck stops with the manager and he will carry the can but the rot goes a lot deeper. GK/GK coach/reserve keepers, what the actual F is going on that an established top half PL team can't field a half-decent GK? It wouldn't bother me if FF never played for Saints again, stealing a living that bloke, sell if we can (unlikely on the money he's on), if we can't sell then replace in Jan with a half competent Championship/kick-a-ball keeper.

VVD - WTaF? Shambolic today and he needn't ever play for us again, Yoshi/Hoedt/Stephens can all DAJFU, bin him to the darkest corners, cash-in in Jan and buy some FDs! Pathetic that we have allowed ourselves to be dictated to by some billy big ones, when their head's gone it's gone, would take someone far more clued in than MoPe to turn that one around; should have got rid in the summer (and learnt the Fonte lesson); he was allowed to fester around and undermine the dressing room and we now have history repeating itself.

Far too negative in our approach today, first 20 minutes set the tempo and gave Newc hope, a game that should have produced 3 fairly straightfd points has left us glad to grab one consolation point. Next up: West Brom H, Brighton A, Burnley H (the fixture list that keeps on giving), 6 points from that and we might have turned a corner but there's no easy games in the PL!

Top post imho

Redmond was awful today. What was that free kick all about, kicking the ball straight back at them. Tadic is just coasting every game.

We are so ordinary.

Oh for our pressing game under Poch.

And when I walk by all their flash £100000+ cars in the car park, well.......

Anyone notice second half when we were attacking and the manager was telling VVD and Bertrand to push forward and they just ignored him and then Bertrand flapped his hands in a 'what do you want us to do gesture? Was odd and a little worrying...

Nope, just me then.

Seen the goals back. Forster is abysmal for that second goal but Romeu can take some of the blame as well. He was lazy as ****, he just lets the goalscorer run free.

True about Romeu, think he is the only player who could’ve done more, but ultimately he was a way back and was always going to struggle to catch Perez. The fact is, it was a good attack but our defenders did enough to restrict them to a shot from a fair distance/angle. It had to be a fantastic strike to score from there. Forster makes a mess of it and gives Perez a second bite of the cherry, which he takes.

True about Romeu, think he is the only player who could’ve done more, but ultimately he was a way back and was always going to struggle to catch Perez. The fact is, it was a good attack but our defenders did enough to restrict them to a shot from a fair distance/angle. It had to be a fantastic strike to score from there. Forster makes a mess of it and gives Perez a second bite of the cherry, which he takes.

Forster is a big, lumbering lunk who can't react or reset quickly, an absolute prerequisite for a keeper in the top divisions. He is the reason we've dropped a lot of points, and adds almost nothing to the team, even less when, as now, his confidence is low. Because he knows we know he is awful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know he's had some shockers recently, including today, but I wouldn't write Forster off yet. I still remember what a good goalkeeper he was before Dave Watson got to work on him. Watson has been coaching all of the goalkeeepers at the club and from what I've seen of them it doesn't look as though any of them are any better. It would probably be cheaper and more effective to replace Watson rather than Forster. Otherwise any new goalkeeper we buy is likely to deteriorate in just the same way Forster has under Watson's guidance.

Sorry I don't buy that a goalkeeping coach can turn a good keeper into a bad one. A good keeper's confidence could be shot by bullying and belittlement, but you wouldn't do that, sit back and watch the results and yet still keep playing him week after week as he gets progressively worse.

One can only assume we play him, woeful as he has become, because we are terrified of playing anyone else. So we are back to Les Reed who seems to have all the transfer power.

Any manager really worth his salt doesn't really want to stay once they realise the situation, nor it seems do any of the decent players once they get another club offering them a pay rise.