Saints vs. Newcastle Thread

Dark Munster

Tadic is better, but he is still woeful around the goal. Never a good shot on goal. The same can be said for all the players out there. Great at passing it around and running around, but when its time to attack and put some shots on goal, nothing.

You can't sack the manager every time you go 1-0 down and, who knows, we might yet win this game, although listening to Dave and Adam on Radio Solent it's difficult to be optimistic. Our squad looks so much better on paper than the performances the team are putting in. Results can't be down to one or another player in team selection because we effectively have two players for all 11 positions who should be capable of starting. It's understandable that some people are beginning to ask whether the problem is with the manager or with the coaching but I think we can be certain that Pellegrino is more disappointed than anyone else by the performance and it can only be improved now by the players on the pitch. Perhaps we'll see an improvement after half-time.

You'd think we're playing rugby union the amount we pass the ball backwards currently

Coupled with the fact we play at a pace in line with walking football much of the time

Also the massive gap in the middle of the pitch when we attack frustrates me. It's just so obvious we will shovel it wide because there's no one there.

Tadic has been bright today. Long Decent.

Redmond horrible. Gabbi absent.

Goal very poor. Why no one wanted to mark the guy on the edge of our own box baffles me.

I'm starting to question coaching methods, and movement patterns. I believe the manager has coached players to focus only on possession and not to lose the ball, even when a dangerous pass could reap rewards - the first five minutes we dominated but whenever we got into advanced positions we passed it back leading to keep ball between Yoshida/Lemina/VVD.

Secondly when players do move it's far too late, and what we miss is Cedric/Bertrand stretching teams - neither venture past the 18 yard box of their half, and when Redmond simply isn't moving and stays static on the touchline, it makes it even harder to get the neccessary movement.

While Gabbi simply isn't involved and should be subbed, he lacks the neccessary workrate needed in a game like this - and he hasn't looked threatening either.

I'm minded if I was the manager to stick on Boufal instead of Gabbi, play him centrally, flitting in and about creating space with his clever dribbling. Sure he'll make mistakes but he will be a threat and not afraid to shoot or try something to unlock the defence.

The poor thing is we should be solid but one shot and one goal as always.. and when we had chances we failed to take them. Hopefully we can get it back in the second half as we're poor but so are Newcastle, we simply lack belief and ambition, and seem lost.

With that formation and the personnel in centre midfield, we are not going to have many shots at goal. Playing two upfront, which is a mistake in my opinion, means you need both Tadic and Redmond to stay out wide and whip the crosses in for the front two. We haven't done that unfortunately, and we haven't tested their keeper once. We need a genuine attacking midfielder who isn't afraid to shoot.

Another 45minutes of my life I won't get back we are so painfully average no tempo and precious little desire (Lemina aside). Newcastle aren't even very good one ****ing attempt on target and they score after keystone coos defending from us. I don't now how MoPe has done it but he has actually made us worse than last season.

What sums it up for me is that we had a free kick 25 yards out and no-one seemed interested in having a crack at goal. Instead, we did the obvious floated ball over to the far post. So predictable. Surely that free kick was van Dijk territory? Lack of confidence or following manager's orders?

What sums it up for me is that we had a free kick 25 yards out and no-one seemed interested in having a crack at goal. Instead, we did the obvious floated ball over to the far post. So predictable. Surely that free kick was van Dijk territory? Lack of confidence or following manager's orders?

Better than the other free kick where everyone came up from the back only for us to pass a tame ball along the floor straight to a player in blue. A pass under no pressure and we still couldn't find a saints player.

It was pointless getting rid of Puel if the club did not have a decent replacement lined up. I see no evidence so far that Pellegrino is an upgrade on Puel.

Seems more and more like Puel got the boot because he didn't connect with fans and it was an easy way to score points with the fans as opposed to any footballing reasons. After all, Pellegrino seems to be doing little different except arguably worse.

The lack of urgency is really concerning. I don’t think the players actually care

Players don't care, board doesn't care, under qualified manager = rubbish. Has a similar feeling to the season we went down for me. Let's hope it's a different ending. Worrying that I'm already thinking the only option is to is get rid of Pellegrino and spend a bit in January but I won't hold my breath.

Seems more and more like Puel got the boot because he didn't connect with fans and it was an easy way to score points with the fans as opposed to any footballing reasons. After all, Pellegrino seems to be doing little different except arguably worse.

At least the defence look organized under Puel it looks like a mess now.

You'd think we're playing rugby union the amount we pass the ball backwards currently

Coupled with the fact we play at a pace in line with walking football much of the time

Also the massive gap in the middle of the pitch when we attack frustrates me. It's just so obvious we will shovel it wide because there's no one there.

Tadic has been bright today. Long Decent.

Redmond horrible. Gabbi absent.

Goal very poor. Why no one wanted to mark the guy on the edge of our own box baffles me.

Pretty good summary. The League One promotion side would wipe the floor with this pathetic bunch. Poor half time reaction from the fans as well, let's at least have some booing and 'what a load of rubbish' but the same disinterested rubbish as the pitch.

Pellegrino has to go now and Les Reed as well I think - no clue and clearly can't inspire the players. Only Lemina, Tadic and Yoshi have remotely given a sh it. Thinking about Deeney's interview about Arsenal. same description applies, Saints have no cojones.

2% possession in our final third and a limited Newcastle side look way more dangerous.

There are 90 year old care home residents that could have got down to that Hayden shot. Redmond - conman, waste of oxygen and wages, opposite of the midas touch and his first act of the game was to moan at his teammates. Transfer list and he can train with Eastleigh until we flog him for £6m in January, he is a disease in our squad. If we must play one of the other diseases - VVD - then put him up front and gives us something to aim at. Yoshi put a peach of a cross in and no-one attacked it. McQueen for Bertrand please, another shocking display from him.

I never thought I'd say this but Big Sam, Hodgson etc would be much preferable to this clown. Rot set in under Puel but no guts to stand up to Reed again in the summer and insist more forward options and use the press like normal managers do.

Exactly it all boils down to the guy making decisions. Reed. Black shouldn't be here. Built a squad with poor replacements who are not at the level we were at. We have gone from a free flowing attacking team into a dull, slow, hoof ball team. Half of them look like they can't even be bothered.